Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this "clutch override" BS?

What's wrong with giving the player direct control of the clutch? In Dirt Rally I've never felt in control of the car, because of this one, little oversight. I want to stall my car if I'm doing it wrong!

What's this pause between shifts even while I'm holding down this new clutch override? Am I actually waiting for the clutch to engage ... while I'm holding it down?

This "clutch override" is even further from the simulated realism that I thought Dirt Rally was trying to achieve. Why can't clutch be implemented? What's the hold-up?

If you want to use the clutch, then change the gear-settings to H-Pattern + Clutch, and clutch in implemented. It's that simple.

I should've clarified. I am absolutely not going to buy an H-pattern shifter and clutch. I am not. You do understand there's people who play this game with a Xbox 360/One controller, right?

So, what you are hoping for is the traditional "auto clutch" option from pretty much every sim out there?

Or do you want to use the clutch to shift gears because that's more realistic?

I've always wondered why we can't actually have a manual sequential and I thought that was what they were implementing with this fix.

The bit that I don't understand is that clutch IS implemented, but it's been disallowed if you use sequential gearing. Manual sequential gearboxes are in common use in motorsports of all types - so I really don't know why this is missing from DiRT Rally.. 

Exactly this. Manual sequential. I want to hold down clutch, freely select my desired gear sequentially, let go of clutch, and go.

Currently, manual sequential IS this "auto clutch" Myrvold speaks of. During which I can't select a gear. I have to wait for the auto-clutch to fully engage before I can shift again. This is unrealistic. This wasn't even a problem in the previous Dirt games. I could interrupt the auto-clutch whenever I please to get from fifth to first as fast as I could press the shift down button.

Technically, the current manual sequential should be called semi-automatic.

There are many other games today that get this right. It's just none of them are rally games.

Uhm. There are none true sequential boxes that must use clutch for anything other than to get it going from a standstill. For the cars in DiRT Rally we have H-Shifter, Dog Box and Sequential - none which actually uses the combination of a sequential/paddle shift and clutch at the same time.
While I absolutely see the point in having it (there is a reason why I use my H-Shifter for every car with the new stuck in neutral system with the H+Clutch) - the simulated realism is greater as it is now, than before.

So without an auto-clutch option I doubt you'll be able to stall without using the H-shifter thingy.

However, as it is called clutch override, it really should work to just press the clutch button/pedal and run through the gears... o.O

I am confused what you are asking for. In a manual sequential transmission with dog gears you do not get "from fifth to first as fast as I could press the shift down button". The engine RPM and gearbox RPM have to be very close on every shift, or you put extreme loads on the transmission. The clutch is simply a device to control the load on the transmission.

There is no such thing as instant shifts in real transmission systems. Even when computer controlled (DSG), the engine speed must be matched to the transmission speed to shift gears (aka auto-blip).

I apologize if I am misunderstanding you.

So you want to use the clutch for shifting between gears on sequential mode, whilst using a game pad? Yeah because that's realistic. 

On the stream they talked about using clutch kick as a tecnique to manage tigher corners (kick the clutch to get the rear wheel spinning), that would be useful for even those, who are driving wirh an automatic.

My biggest issue is the delay between shifts. If I try to shift any faster, the delay gets longer. This is most noticeable while shifting to reverse and back. I was really hoping that this clutch override would eliminate that delay as I held it down. It doesn't. 

My biggest issue is the delay between shifts. If I try to shift any faster, the delay gets longer. This is most noticeable while shifting to reverse and back. I was really hoping that this clutch override would eliminate that delay as I held it down. It doesn't. 
It seems like they have tied shifting to the animation. I am not a fan either. At least it handicaps everyone equally. Well, unless you are good driving stick in a real car. Then it really, really sucks for psychological reasons. It is torture. I love the clutch override for what it is. I hope they fix shifting though.

Ya can't properly use clutch with controller I don't care what all you dirt 4 f*** boys say they really screwed this game up. Also historic rally with no Volvo or Saab have you people never heard of erik carlsson? You nerds wouldn't know real rally if it was in front of you. 

Ya can't properly use clutch with controller I don't care what all you dirt 4 f*** boys say they really screwed this game up. Also historic rally with no Volvo or Saab have you people never heard of erik carlsson? You nerds wouldn't know real rally if it was in front of you. 
This is genius. Bring up a 2 year old post that has no relevance with anything.

Firstly, the clutch overide has nothing to do with changing gears, this is to give the option to people not actually using a clutch pedal the ability to assign the clutch to a button and 'clutch kick' around tight corners. 

Secondly, if you want to use a clutch to change gear, you need to firstly get a wheel and 3 pedal set and a H pattern shifter. Secondly, even if you did, most rally cars from the past 20 years use sequential straight cut gears that work completely differently, so asking to be able to change gear in these cars like a normal H pattern box is totally unrealistic, even if you were using a full setup, let alone using something like a shoulder button. You would need to drive older cars, etc.

JZStudios said:
This is genius. Bring up a 2 year old post that has no relevance with anything.
This is going into history.

@ChristinaMc >:)

Image result for giant bomb gif