Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Physics and FFB improvements

I'm starting this poll because i think this is really the area where Dirt: Rally is still lacking a bit. All the updates have been great. The first FFB update definitely made the game better, and i'm having a great time with hillclimb and Rallycross. But every time i turn RBR back on it's still painfully obvious that the driving sensation there is just better in every possible way. FFB is making you work more, the feeling of the car is more natural. It's hard to describe, but once you drive off you immediatly know it's just better, a lot better. So for my poll i'd propose to take a break from adding new game modes, but put the focus back on really getting the physics and FFB right once and for all. If you can pull that off, the game is complete from my point of view. Any additional content would be a bonus.

Codemaster just have to follow the path of physics and FFB, if you have the oportunity try RBR on Windows XP Sp3 and you will find a true FFB really working, over Windows 7 it doesn't due to DirectX compatibility.
I use a logitech G27 and have 2 PCS, one with windows XP sp3 where I have the RBR, and other with win7 sp1 running DirtRally and RBR too. 

agassi302 said:
Codemaster just have to follow the path of physics and FFB, if you have the oportunity try RBR on Windows XP Sp3 and you will find a true FFB really working, over Windows 7 it doesn't due to DirectX compatibility.
I use a logitech G27 and have 2 PCS, one with windows XP sp3 where I have the RBR, and other with win7 sp1 running DirtRally and RBR too. 
Maybe a bit off topic, but i'm running RBR on windows 8.1 x64 and it works an absolute charm. It worked fine when i ran only the vanilla game, and also with RSRBR with NGP cars it works great. Did you install the patches?

I dont think that the physicsof DR are in a status where codies has to focus only on that to get it right. I agree that RBR physics are superior over DR but not by so far.... Some fine tuning YES, but not stop the whole other content development just for the physiscs.
Imo DR has some issues on grip level on the Monte Stages (still too much grip on ice and snow) plus the breaking behaviour on the gravel stages lacks a bit (I miss the RBR typical gravel slides when hard breaking there)  but all in all, the physics give quite a good drive feeling.

I dont think that the physicsof DR are in a status where codies has to focus only on that to get it right. I agree that RBR physics are superior over DR but not by so far.... Some fine tuning YES, but not stop the whole other content development just for the physiscs.
Imo DR has some issues on grip level on the Monte Stages (still too much grip on ice and snow) plus the breaking behaviour on the gravel stages lacks a bit (I miss the RBR typical gravel slides when hard breaking there)  but all in all, the physics give quite a good drive feeling.

I agree that of course work has to (and will) go on in other area. I realize that there's multiple teams working on multiple aspects of the game simultaneously.
My point was to state that they're not done yet when it comes to physics. And that that's where the main focus should be. Other stuff will obviously also be happening, but the number 1 priority to make this game absolutely epic is the final step of physics improvements.
Just for s simple example i'd say i'd rather have RBR with crappy graphics, and only 5 tracks and 3 cars, than WRC4 in 4K with a million tracks and cars

Sorry, guys, but I didn't understand what is it RBR & FFB.... But I have g27 and physics  and feelings are change by controller Xbox and Wheel...

agassi302 said:
Someone tried LIVE FOR SPEED? Is a masterpiece of physics and car handling.
Many moons ago, I came across Live for Speed, and I thought "This should be cool" and then they basically stopped developing for it and I almost never hear anything about it anymore. I do know they recently made it rift compatible, which is cool I guess... Anyways I recently redownloaded the demo, played with the FANTASTIC settings menu, with BRILLIANT support for triple screens, and then deleted it since I needed hard drive space, and the 1 Blackwood demo track is eh, but hey, still better than RFactor.

Sorry, guys, but I didn't understand what is it RBR & FFB.... But I have g27 and physics  and feelings are change by controller Xbox and Wheel...
Richard Burns Rally & Force FeedBack. Time to let go that binomial... many things have changed and evolved since that.

In another vein, I like the way CODIES is working with physics, To tell the truth I dont want a fully hardcore simulator and hopelessly we will never get that with Dirt Rally.
Main reason is simple, simulators are NOT as FUN as a "SIMCADE".

If CODEMASTERS decides to develop a complex physics with a real damage system and such, welcome. If not, I will accept the CODEMASTERS interpretation of their very own rally game. I really liked their games, games that were created with no community support. 

OzoreXS said:
Richard Burns Rally & Force FeedBack. Time to let go that binomial... many things have changed and evolved since that.

In another vein, I like the way CODIES is working with physics, To tell the truth I dont want a fully hardcore simulator and hopelessly we will never get that with Dirt Rally.

If CODEMASTERS decides to develop a complex physics with a real damage system and such, welcome. If not, I will accept the CODEMASTERS interpretation of their very own rally game. I really liked their games, games that were created with no community support. 

Now physics  is good. But as you know there is no limit to perfection. I think CODEMASTERS worked really hard in terms of physics, and did it well. I liked their games that were created with no community support too, but DiRT - Rally I think they got the best game at all. at the moment it has great prospects. I would not be sitting in this forum, if not dreamed with them to translate these prospects into reality. for that I even bought a wheel. and I have even more to say - I am an artist and I'm ready for this to give them more money to get to their offices to learn 3d modeling and help himself! That's the way I like DiRT : Rally :smiley: 

OzoreXS said:

Pretty much. I feel like almost everyone in this forum is disgusted by the thought of a game like... oh I don't know... Forza Horizon 2? Hey, I want to have the option of turning a 1955 Willys Jeep into a gymkhana machine and drive it sideways around the streets of Nice at 100 miles an hour. People also complain about Forza Motorsport when I'm pretty sure they never played it. I think their just jealous. However, the FFB is a bit off, and damage even like in the previous Dirt games would be nice, right now its surprisingly lackluster, I don't think I've ever had a door come off, and I crash a lot.

First of all let me repeat that the handling, physics and FFB are by no means bad at the moment, not at all. But they could be better.
And in contrary to the replies above, that doesn;t mean it can't be fun for people who prefer simcade.
Just give the hardcore sim racers their super realistic mode, and for simcade/arcade users just allow all types of assists.
In my opinion Forza is a good example of a game that entices users of all skill levels (except maybe the very highest). On maximum difficulty it can be quite a handful, and on the very easiest setting even a 4 year old could keep the car on track due to auto braking, steering assist, etc etc.

So with that said, please invest some more time in giving the simracers the hardcore physics/handling/ffb they want, and in the meanwhile, keep the possibility to turn on some assists for those who want to take it a bit less serious.

m0LN4r said:
I think Its still far away from RBR physics wise and WRC/McRae - content wise
I disagree about physics. I think gravel and mud physics is ahead comparing to RBR, where grip is too low.

Yes, I'm missing left foot breaking, handbraking, using the clutch in hairpins (in V2 it isn't necessary), missing drifting over gravel. That all you could/can feel in RBR, but not here in Dirt Rally.

Hi, there. A physicist/rally fan here. Let me say that in my opinion there are many things that need to be improved.

1) Right now the handbrake equals maximum braking grip on the rear wheels, but using it in real life means loosing grip. This opposite behavior allows the player to cheat, but in experienced players and even regular drivers it contradicts your experience and muscular memory.

2) There is something strange with the linear momentum simulation. The moment you release the gas pedal, the car starts to brake quite fast. I think that static and dynamic coefficients of fraction are set to values way too high.

3) Most motors lack brake horse power. I mean, my car has a 1.2 liters engine, and I can reach 100 km/h in no time; but in a rally car driving on a long line takes forever? C'mon!

Anyway, I hope somebody read this suggestions... SFMBE and keep the good work!

Hi, there. A physicist/rally fan here. Let me say that in my opinion there are many things that need to be improved.

1) Right now the handbrake equals maximum braking grip on the rear wheels, but using it in real life means loosing grip. This opposite behavior allows the player to cheat, but in experienced players and even regular drivers it contradicts your experience and muscular memory.

2) There is something strange with the linear momentum simulation. The moment you release the gas pedal, the car starts to brake quite fast. I think that static and dynamic coefficients of fraction are set to values way too high.

3) Most motors lack brake horse power. I mean, my car has a 1.2 liters engine, and I can reach 100 km/h in no time; but in a rally car driving on a long line takes forever? C'mon!

Wow, ur 1.2 litre engine reach 100km/h in no time? Must be the fastest 1.2 litre car evah!

The fully upgraded WRC's in the game reach 100 in about 3-4 seconds. What's the problem?

Amen for point 2
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/7428/behavior-when-releasing-gas-pedal

Then, as @bogani said, theres a huge difference between an upgraded car vs stock. Maybe this is a bit exhagerated but this is what we have.

About 0-100km/h (0-60mph) accel... well, to tell the truth I noticed this too. Its true, we can not compare a Rally car vs a street car for many reasons: e.g. gearbox ratios, 
But yeah, I found sometimes very slow 0-100 accels, even with fully upgraded 300bhp cars. This happens specially on gravel (plain surface, not uphill/downhill) I felt the car kinda underpowered and cant be altitude.
Sometimes I wondered if the 0-100 spec have been faithfully replicated from real cars.

Maybe someone can bring us a comparison? :)

OzoreXS said:
But yeah, I found sometimes very slow 0-100 accels, even with fully upgraded 300bhp cars. This happens specially on gravel (plain surface, not uphill/downhill) I felt the car kinda underpowered and cant be altitude.
Sometimes I wondered if the 0-100 spec have been faithfully replicated from real cars.

Try kicking the clutch half the way with full throttle - you will give the turbo some boost and immediately start accelarating.

versedi said:
OzoreXS said:

Try kicking the clutch half the way with full throttle - you will give the turbo some boost and immediately start accelarating.
Oh, I use the clutch kick/override often. Specially on Group B and Hill Climb cars. (60,´s, 70´s, 80,s ... too)

But its totally useless on some cars, like 2000´s or Gr.A. Engine revs, but then get back to last state :)...not much improvement on accel.

hehe I remember a run with the M Cooper at Montecarlo (uphill) LOL... never kicked a clutch as much as that run did. I if was real I should changed clutch every single stage xD

The behaviour when releasing the gas was a problem before V2 with excessive downforce and engine friction. Imo this isn't an issue anymore. 

bogani said:
The behaviour when releasing the gas was a problem before V2 with excessive downforce and engine friction. Imo this isn't an issue anymore. 
uh, yes. Your right.

When I wrote this comment I was thinking about Gr.B and Hill Climb cars.... both classes are still V1... my bad.