Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

Damage model in 2021 - what is going on with rear wings?

Just been watching a video about the new damage model. On the whole it looks good and a step forward that has been needed for a while.

one thing really bothering me though is the rear wing damage... it looks like a shark is taking bites from it and i’ve never ever seen a real life rear wing damaged anything like that.  Why on earth have they added a much needed feature is such an unrealistic way?

• Agree 1

That’s exactly my point though... if a rear wing is damaged in any significant way, it’s race over. This “chunk missing from rear wing” just doesn’t happen, so why have they made it a thing in the game??

• Agree 1
2 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

To be fair this looks quite considerable, more than a 'bite'

maxresdefault.jpg.0a028cad503f9fa97c9ee7bb6a328de6.jpg

Reminiscent of something like 

ERxub8LWkAAJHSg.thumb.jpg.b86dec75c98cf9e20e820ac1742d249c.jpg

But again... exactly my point! That was race over for the alfa, no doubt. In the gameplay vids I’ve seen, the damage to the McLaren in the picture about gives you a performance disadvantage. Just totally unrealistic!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

But again... exactly my point! That was race over for the alfa, no doubt. In the gameplay vids I’ve seen, the damage to the McLaren in the picture about gives you a performance disadvantage. Just totally unrealistic!

Yea it's a very odd choice of damage too, getting hit from the nose of the car behind, instead of getting diffuser damage, you get bits of rear wing bitten away lol.

Imo, if they can't get the rear wing to completely fell off, might as well abandon it and just focus on getting diffuser damages (both visual & performance), I think it would make way more sense with the current damage model of how it affect the car performance, in real life if the rear wing is damage it's pretty much an instant DNF. 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 2
6 hours ago, Coyote93 said:

Ea Games with F1 Challenge 99-02 would have something to teach to Codies in terms of car damage...

Why not rely on real life data 

Cannot recall any rear damage last season’s- it is more Front Wing damage  for those who could not brake at the right time - and as week cannot recall that many drivers have been pushed off the track - when being hit from behind like years in F1 2020 - 

No ! 

drivers hit from behind ruined their race with front wing damage ….

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shark2Racing said:

Cannot recall any rear damage last season

It's not common but there was the Ferrari collision at the Styrian GP (link below although it won't embed). I said ages ago that the likes of floor damage were much more common though so it's good to see this has made it to the game too.

Edited by Ultra3142
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Neomo said:

Dont forget to stupid AI especially at first laps. And if u play without flashbacks you can easily retire most of race bcs of rear wing damage

Yea in 2020 most Ai loves to get stuck in the trains in the middle and outside lane on the first few corners, but then there's always one Ai that DIVE BOMB half the field into the inside lane and cause massive chaos. 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 1
  • 1 month later...