Sign in to follow this  

DIRT RALLY: Framerate issues following new update

Cross posting from STEAM, to notify devs: 

Anyone else seeing framdrops on all RX events following this update (the latest Hell one)? 

Before, solid 60fps vsync, now on any RX track with AI it is solid but drops at random occations then instantly picks back a.k.a. stutters. Sometimes the AI rubberbands when this happens... 

Happens in light load and heavy, so not exactly fps related. My GPU loads are still the same maxing out at about 75%, CPU is used at about 45% total spread on all 4 cores. So no bottlenecking, but something else. 

New physics system perhaps?

Update. Happens on certain points on the track, all the time, no matter if i am alone or in the pack of cars... 

Like passing the downhill at Höljes Junior, or in turn three of Hell full. Always at the same spots, an instant and very quick framerate drop, with stutter and rubberbanding, then back to normal. Also happens when approaching a car going in to a turn, on occation. 

During drops GPU usage is never above 60%. 

Definetely was not there before. 

Hardware for troubleshooting: 

I7 4790K (HT off) @ 4x 4.3GHz. 
GTX 980 Factory OC @ 1334MHz. 4Gb. VRAM
16Gb. RAM DDR3 @ 2400MHz.
Windows 7 x64 
Latest NVidia WHQL driver 

Games settings are all Ultra default, no changes

Further update... Tried to revert to NVidia 353.30 (the driver before the Win10 fixes) and it seems to be back to the usual stutter free experience... 

Did a full clean of NVidia stuff, PhysX included and reverted. Now it appears to be ok from my limited quick test using the keyboard (packed the wheel away for the day). 

Will try a longer session tomorrow, but for now it looks promising on this driver. 

Tested further... No dice. Still huge frame drops at the exact same locations on the tracks... Every lap. 

GPU/CPU usage ok. 

In big collisions frame drops from 120+ to 45... 

Something wnet wrong in this update, as i now see strange framedrops in rally events too. Also at specific exact points of the stage. Same every run... 

I had a frame rate issue after the RX update. Went down to 24fps. It was like it was locked there. Same 24fps at ultra and low settings. Nothing changed it until I turned AA off. Then the fps went back to steady 60fps with v-sync. After I played like that for a few races, I went back and cranked up the AA and it stayed at 60fps. Very strange. This must have been a different issue then yours, tho, because I never experienced sudden drops in fps. And I also have an AMD card not nvidia. Still might be worth a try messing with the AA.

I have a R9 270X and framerate is very good with high settings except Germany and Holjes.

I have a Crossfired R9 270X, running W10 and 15.7.1 drivers and have noticed a huge frame rate drop since the 0.7 update.  On high settings with Ambient Occlusion and AA off / low, I was pulling a steady 55-60 FPS.  With the same settings, it's dropped to 20 odd.  Even using "Low" doesn't get much above 25-30.  It's now more or less unplayable.

To be honest, the latest batch of AMD drivers are bloody terrible anyway with occasional texture flickering across all games (not just Dirt Rally), so I think I'll just garage the Quattro for now and wait for 0.8 and / or better drivers from AMD!

I get fps drops in Wales since the update, it always happens when I drive through forest sections, the second I clear them and get in the open, the game goes smooth again

Tried now with all sorts of NVidia drivers and also with rolling my main machine back to Win7 after updating to 10... Also tried on three different high end rigs.

Still the issues remain. On collisions in RX i lose around 40fps straight off, but monitoring shows no spiking in CPU or GPU loads. 

Also, now at certain points on RX tracks there are drops and stuttering, at the exact same spots every lap... No matter if driving solo or in a heat. Mostly in certain turns around Höljes and Hell...

Frametimes according to monitoring also went from a solid 16.6 ms vsynced to jumping around a lot all the time.

Still GPU usage never exceeds 70% and CPU load is maximum 60% per core 1 and 2 or so...

All this happened following the new update. 

Also, i see the same stuttering on certain key spots in rallying now as well, not present before. 

It really breaks immersion as it is, and it basically went from rock solid smooth to random hickup mess for me with this single update. 

Waiting for a fix down the line (early access alpha after all)...

BigFattee said:
I had a frame rate issue after the RX update. Went down to 24fps. It was like it was locked there. Same 24fps at ultra and low settings. Nothing changed it until I turned AA off. Then the fps went back to steady 60fps with v-sync. After I played like that for a few races, I went back and cranked up the AA and it stayed at 60fps. Very strange. This must have been a different issue then yours, tho, because I never experienced sudden drops in fps. And I also have an AMD card not nvidia. Still might be worth a try messing with the AA.

I had this problem for months; this solved it. Thanks :)

I have similar problem too. I have written on steam forum at first, but I will repost it here:

This thread is about AMD CPUs, but I am having heavy trouble with Intel + Radeon config. My rig first:

i5 3570k 4.2 GHz
2x8GB RAM
Radeon 280X
Crimson 16.1 drivers

I can't exceed about 60 FPS. But both my CPU ang GPU usage are low. For example:

55 FPS
41% GPU
70/30/34/37 % CPUs

57 FPS
39% GPU
65/25/34/44 % CPUs

And so on. This is on high/ultra mixed settings with few turned off, but, as act of desperation, I even tried "ultra low" setup. Example results:

80 FPS
28% GPU
76/30/34/27 CPUs

80 FPS
19% GPU (!!!)
75/34/32/26 CPUs

The funny thing is, sometimes on ultra low GPU usage is so low, that it clocks only 500 MHz.

It could happen with Winter Wonderland or Modern Monsters update - i remember playing on my rig earlier with about 80-90 FPS setup. Is it something "known issue" or what can I do to have more FPS? Even on 60 Hz display, I found playing with 80-90 FPS much smoother and better than with under 60.

I will add here, i don't know the reason, but this 60 FPS is just uncomfortable for me. Feels like much less comparing to other games. But maybe it's struttering, or maybe just higher requirements with so challenging game. Hard to say for me. Here is my orginal post. Nothing mentioned there helped.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/0/613956964591550078/?l=polish#c405692758702130205 (#28)