Sign in to follow this  

Who do you think will become the 2014 Formula 1 world champion?

Liam12d said:
Vettel and Kimi are not in the same tier as Alonso. Kimi a few years ago yes, but not since 2012.
Vettel is better then all of them.
...when in the superior car, yes. 
I bet if you put Vettel in a Mercedes he would beat Hamilton. Because Vettel beat Webber and they were both in RB cars.
He would because Mercedes has the fastest cars in the field.
Which makes him the best because he would beat Hamilton in the same car.
;)

Liam12d said:
Vettel and Kimi are not in the same tier as Alonso. Kimi a few years ago yes, but not since 2012.
I bet if you put Vettel in a Mercedes he would beat Hamilton. Because Vettel beat Webber and they were both in RB cars.
No. Vettel is better than all of them when put in a superior car to everyone else's (by that I mean his main rivals). I'd bet that Hamilton would beat Vettel if both were in the Mercedes because Vettel's only really good with his EBDs.

How do you have the custom message thing at the bottom of your comment?
It's called a signature. Go to your settings, edit your profile and it's there I think.

Back to the discussion, I think if you put Vettel and Hamilton in the same car then they would be very close, but I think Hamilton would just edge him. I think in terms of raw speed Hamilton is top, and I think over a season Hamilton would win. People thought of him as someone who wouldn't be able to get used to the new fuel saving rules, but look at his drives in Malaysia and China. Incredible, controlled, and he was so fast that he was able to use one or two percent lower fuel. I'm sure Vettel would do the same, I mean, we saw his dominant wins last season, but I think Hamilton would have the edge.

It's called a signature. Go to your settings, edit your profile and it's there I think.

Back to the discussion, I think if you put Vettel and Hamilton in the same car then they would be very close, but I think Hamilton would just edge him. I think in terms of raw speed Hamilton is top, and I think over a season Hamilton would win. People thought of him as someone who wouldn't be able to get used to the new fuel saving rules, but look at his drives in Malaysia and China. Incredible, controlled, and he was so fast that he was able to use one or two percent lower fuel. I'm sure Vettel would do the same, I mean, we saw his dominant wins last season, but I think Hamilton would have the edge.
You could Ricciardo has the edge over Vettel now so if both of them were in the Merc then Ricciardo may be still faster?

You could Ricciardo has the edge over Vettel now so if both of them were in the Merc then Ricciardo may be still faster?
Possibly, yeah. I still want to see Ricciardo do something like half a season first before giving a judgement on where is is compared to Vettel.

I reckon it will take a couple of years to decide if Ricciardo is better/worse than Vettel. It wasn't until the end of 2010 that most people agreed Vettel was better than Webber. 

I think Hamilton is more naturally talented than Vettel, but Vettel works harder to be where he is. I wouldn't like to say who would win overall. 

Liam12d said:
Which makes him the best!
;)

yugin96 said:

Liam12d said:
No. Vettel is better than all of them when put in a superior car to everyone else's (by that I mean his main rivals). I'd bet that Hamilton would beat Vettel if both were in the Mercedes because Vettel's only really good with his EBDs.

At the risk of starting a heated debate, the Vettel EBD argument isn't really fair if you ask me. I don't think the EBD just came along and naturally adhered to Vettel's strengths, it has been often said it was just the area he devoted the most time and effort to, as it was recognised as the biggest potential advantage. And so it turned out to be, and Vettel developed a driving style perfect suited to use it to most devastating effect. Now it's gone obviously, and perhaps Vettel is taking a while again to adjust from the style of driving he's been used to for 4 years, perhaps looking at trying to hone his style to another performance differentiator. On Vettel vs Ricciardo, all I will say on that is at the moment considering the first 4 races and not just the last 2, the advantage Ricciardo has is being exaggerated. And considering Vettel reports he's constantly fighting the car at the moment, when he does get to a setup he feels confident with (like Riccardo seemingly has now) I expect him to come out on top. Take nothing away from Dan at the moment though, he's doing a great job.

Liam12d said:
I bet if you put Vettel in a Mercedes he would beat Hamilton.

OK I think this conversation has gone a teeny bit off-topic :P. We need an individual thread for this.
I think it would be better if we had an individual forum for this :P

I don't know. I wish every one had Mercedes cars.

Seems the same person in this thread is reposting his earlier comments on how Vettel is the best.
Sorry. I was just talking to one of the other guys comparing cars.
:P

If you ask me, Alonso has been losing speed and performance as well. The guy is incredibly intelligent, but especially in qualifying sessions, you can see he's dropping. If Hulkenberg was his team-mate, he would've had a very hard time right now. Which I think might happen next year, in the unlikely event Ferrari will only have to replace Kimi for next season.

As for the championship, it will be all Mercedes. Yeah, insightful, I know. The threat to a Hamilton-title is if he somehow finds himself midpack and ends up crashing it, where Rosberg is more likely to keep his cool. But Ham in the Merc is so fast, he'll rarely get in that position.

Jiggy said:
If you ask me, Alonso has been losing speed and performance as well. The guy is incredibly intelligent, but especially in qualifying sessions, you can see he's dropping. If Hulkenberg was his team-mate, he would've had a very hard time right now. Which I think might happen next year, in the unlikely event Ferrari will only have to replace Kimi for next season.

As for the championship, it will be all Mercedes. Yeah, insightful, I know. The threat to a Hamilton-title is if he somehow finds himself midpack and ends up crashing it, where Rosberg is more likely to keep his cool. But Ham in the Merc is so fast, he'll rarely get in that position.
I have to disagree on both points :p

Ferrari seem fine to me, Kimi and Fernando aren't having any problems from the looks of things. Both drivers have a contract for next year and I don't see how they won't both be at Ferrari next year. All the talk about 2 roosters in the hen house is rubbish. Kimi just does his own thing and Alonso does his own thing, plus you can tell there's respect between the 2 of them so I see no issues that'll change Ferrari's line-up.

As for Hamilton and Rosberg, Rosberg seems the more likely to make a mistake. He was lucky to get away with wheel banging in China, and throwing it away on his fastest lap in quali... Hamilton seems much more relaxed and in control of himself this season, while Rosberg has seen his WDC slashed from 25 points, to 4 in 3 races. He's gotta be feeling the pressure from Hamilton and I can see him making more mistakes because of it.

Jiggy said:

Whilst i do agree, i don't think Alonso's qualifying is as bad as everyone thinks, i would say it's more down to the Ferrari's one lap pace over the last few years. Although he is stronger in the race.
He beat Massa 3 years in a row in quali, i know it was closer in 2013 but he was still ahead. And he's doing the same with Raikkonen. 

Jiggy said:

I have to disagree on both points :p

Ferrari seem fine to me, Kimi and Fernando aren't having any problems from the looks of things. Both drivers have a contract for next year and I don't see how they won't both be at Ferrari next year. All the talk about 2 roosters in the hen house is rubbish. Kimi just does his own thing and Alonso does his own thing, plus you can tell there's respect between the 2 of them so I see no issues that'll change Ferrari's line-up.

As for Hamilton and Rosberg, Rosberg seems the more likely to make a mistake. He was lucky to get away with wheel banging in China, and throwing it away on his fastest lap in quali... Hamilton seems much more relaxed and in control of himself this season, while Rosberg has seen his WDC slashed from 25 points, to 4 in 3 races. He's gotta be feeling the pressure from Hamilton and I can see him making more mistakes because of it.

While Alonso's on top, we won't see many fireworks at Ferrari because Kimi doesn't care at all what the public perception is of him. If Kimi starts consistently beating Fernando then it could get interesting, as Fernando is a lot more about his public reputation, just look at his comments after China. We saw he dominated Kimi that weekend, but still he needed to bring up some figures in the press conference to emphasise it further. In my view we haven't seen the real Kimi turn up at Ferrari yet, and when he does I'm hoping he can push Fernando and give Ferrari something to think about at the very least. If Alonso has one weakness in F1, it's that on history he does need the whole team around him to reach his absolute peak.

@Vettelfan I agree, Kimi fighting Alonso would get interesting. We all know Alonso cannot stand being beaten by his team mate.

fIsince08 said:
@Vettelfan I agree, Kimi fighting Alonso would get interesting. We all know Alonso cannot stand being beaten by his team mate.
Nobody can stand being beaten by a team mate!