Jump to content Jump to content

Impact of Pre-Season interview in MyTeam

I'm currently now in the middle of Season 7 of myTeam (PS4, Controller, 100% Races, AI difficulty 82). My car is maxed out ofr 3 years now and is only slightly the best on track (Red Bull second, Ferrari third, Mercedes, Reneault and then Mclaren). Since this has been for years, I assume the others are maxed out as well.

But what I want to know is...

I have the feeling that the answers you give in the interview before the first season do not only affect your position in the field and how far your sections are pre developed. It also effects the behaviour of the car in a way not seen on the screen.

I got nothing to prove this but there are a few examples why I think this might be true. Before I started Myteam, I answered in favour of focus on engine and needing Top Speed to overtake. I then felt that even though I had not the best car, It's been always easy for me on the straits. (I started with the Renault Engine). And though I found myself around P10, P11 and P12 in the first Races, I was suddenly winning Baku and Montraeal. Both of these Tracks I consider high speed. After that it was to back to P10 Now in season 7, I am still the fastest car on the straights in the field even though all engine suppliers are having the same stats and the cars are basically of the same performance.

Another thing is that I always felt that my Car was struggling a bit while breaking before corners. And when I started another career out of curiousity, I favoured Chassis and found it much easier to get into corners and out.

My theory is that whatever answere you choose, this willeffect the all in all behaviour of the car beyond what you see on stats on screen. It could be learning curve, Patches, misconception or anything else though

Can anybody confirm this or made simliar experiences? Or maybe I am wrong and someone can debunk this.

Hmmm dunno, I tested things best versus worst pre-saison questions in January in this Video, spoiler = see the comment below the video to find out what the time difference was.

But if I read you correctly, you meant it was a long term benefit underneath the visible upgrades. I am not perferctly sure, it might be for certain questions (e.g. the ones about car behaviour) but I rather tend to think that Codemasters tried to tailor your entry point into your first season. Which is a cool idea after all, I have the most fun trying to play catch up from the worst position for 2 seasons, but sure not everyone does. 

Also, if you try different answers, you will always see these reflected by either factory upgrades or development upgrades. If you, say, stripped all upgrades from your car I doubt that anything of the answers would result in a remaining benefit, apart from engine perhaps, but even the engine upgrades seem to be reflected around the development tree.

1 hour ago, CS21 said:

I have the feeling that the answers you give in the interview before the first season do not only affect your position in the field and how far your sections are pre developed. It also effects the behaviour of the car in a way not seen on the screen.

Is it possible you had been drinking

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CS21 said:

I'm currently now in the middle of Season 7 of myTeam (PS4, Controller, 100% Races, AI difficulty 82). My car is maxed out ofr 3 years now and is only slightly the best on track (Red Bull second, Ferrari third, Mercedes, Reneault and then Mclaren). Since this has been for years, I assume the others are maxed out as well.

But what I want to know is...

I got nothing to prove this but there are a few examples why I think this might be true. Before I started Myteam, I answered in favour of focus on engine and needing Top Speed to overtake. I then felt that even though I had not the best car, It's been always easy for me on the straits. (I started with the Renault Engine). And though I found myself around P10, P11 and P12 in the first Races, I was suddenly winning Baku and Montraeal. Both of these Tracks I consider high speed. After that it was to back to P10 Now in season 7, I am still the fastest car on the straights in the field even though all engine suppliers are having the same stats and the cars are basically of the same performance.

Another thing is that I always felt that my Car was struggling a bit while breaking before corners. And when I started another career out of curiousity, I favoured Chassis and found it much easier to get into corners and out.

My theory is that whatever answere you choose, this willeffect the all in all behaviour of the car beyond what you see on stats on screen. It could be learning curve, Patches, misconception or anything else though

Can anybody confirm this or made simliar experiences? Or maybe I am wrong and someone can debunk this.

The base & maximum performance values of the MyTeam car remains the exact same no matter what answer you took, it doesn't change the "philosophy" of the car because the values were set in stone in the game files. The only difference are the department related question where they'll pre-installed parts on the R&D tree which alter your progression, but that's not the issue here because those doesn't change what's already been set.

And it's the same for the engine. Whichever you picked at the beginning is only affected by the manufacturer upgrades, the 4 engines are actually identical without those unique upgrades, but once those parts are all installed later in the season, those 4 engines actually became the same again with absolutely no difference because their performance value are identical. 

Edited by DRTApophis

I don't think it is possible to test something non-tangible like if someone feels like they have more grip 7 seasons in or better straight line speed.  For someone to test that, they'd have to do 7 identical seasons with the teams having the same performance.  Hard to compare sailing past a Racing Point who are low in the development table in one save with Pro-Power answers and struggling to overtake them in a different one with pro-chassis answers when they've got entirely different stats. 

I would assume it's intended to be a mini-boost for the first season but it's possible it changes the default stats a fraction. 

1 hour ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I don't think it is possible to test something non-tangible like if someone feels like they have more grip 7 seasons in or better straight line speed.  For someone to test that, they'd have to do 7 identical seasons with the teams having the same performance.  Hard to compare sailing past a Racing Point who are low in the development table in one save with Pro-Power answers and struggling to overtake them in a different one with pro-chassis answers when they've got entirely different stats. 

I would assume it's intended to be a mini-boost for the first season but it's possible it changes the default stats a fraction. 

Yeah nearly Impossible to actually Test that and find evidence. 

It was after all a feeling and a theory.

Would be cool though to give your car a "philosophy" of sorts.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, CS21 said:

Yeah nearly Impossible to actually Test that and find evidence. 

It was after all a feeling and a theory.

Would be cool though to give your car a "philosophy" of sorts.

Technically you could, just focus on a certain direction on the R&D tree.

I've tried not adapting my rear-downforce upgrades and only took the front-downforce parts for a new season, and the first few race was an actual s🅱️inalla simulator it was hilarious (had to deliberately set my rear wing higher to balance things out). 

Edited by DRTApophis
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CS21 said:

IIRC, I think there was a video by Aarava that confirms this. When the reporter asks which team you consider your rival, your answer will put your car performance close to that team.

Edited by Monzie83
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Monzie83 said:

IIRC, I think there was a video by Aarava that confirms this. When the reporter asks which team you consider your rival, your answer will put your car performance close to that team.

I strongly believe that that was misunderstood, because I couldn't find any evidence in the game files that suggests that, not to mention the R&D progress comparison table in the game shows nothing different when you answer that specific question differently. 

Edited by DRTApophis
33 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

I strongly believe that that was misunderstood, because I couldn't find any evidence in the game files that suggests that, not to mention the R&D progress comparison table in the game shows nothing different when you answer that specific question differently. 

Apologies if not true - am not trying to spread misinformation. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

Apologies if not true - am not trying to spread misinformation. 

LOL no worries it's interesting stuff to discuss anyways. To be honest I too was convinced when I first watched that video from Aarava, until I started digging into the files because I wasn't happy with the stats between each teams and compare with the MyTeam car. But you know what? Who knows if CM actually hided some extra stuff in there or not, it's just that I don't think they would go that far and atm nothing on my hands pointed at that direction. 

Edited by DRTApophis
9 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

But you know what? Who knows if CM actually hided some extra stuff in there or not, it's just that I don't think they would go that far

It’s interesting and possible I guess - even though the r&d tree might not change, perhaps the base level of the car could be better to start with somehow?

I guess the only way to find that out is to start multiple MyTeam season at the same AI, pick the same engine supplier, answer the question differently in terms of team rivals, run qualy and see if the car starts further up the grid? 

1 hour ago, Monzie83 said:

It’s interesting and possible I guess - even though the r&d tree might not change, perhaps the base level of the car could be better to start with somehow?

I guess the only way to find that out is to start multiple MyTeam season at the same AI, pick the same engine supplier, answer the question differently in terms of team rivals, run qualy and see if the car starts further up the grid? 

It's a decent start to a hypothesis. However, it only works if every other variable is the same.

• Other AI cars have to be at the same performance level in each save to compare against. 
  • Other AI drivers have to have the exact same stats in each save to compare your perfomance against them.
  • All your upgrades you apply have to have the same success/failure rate. 
  • Your engine supplier has to bring upgrades at the same rate. This is something you can't even control.
  • You have to nail your lap in the exact same racing line.
  • Other AI cars have to presumably do their laps at the same time in the session in every save. 
  • Weather conditions and temperatures have to be the same for every race in every save.

I'm sure there's more variables but it'd be impossible to test whether your interview answers make any difference just by comparing your lap time against the AI in quali as there are so many things that affect a single lap in one session, let alone 4 laps in 4 different saves. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2021 at 1:19 PM, SmokyAtom07 said:

I'm sure there's more variables but it'd be impossible to test whether your interview answers make any difference just by comparing your lap time against the AI in quali

I’m not sure about the longer term effects, as it’s true that’s where the other variables start coming in.

Having said that, my suggestion would probably get to the bottom of the “baseline” of the car being affected by the interview answer i.e. you do it for the qualy session of the first race of season 1 only. Then start a new myteam and pick a different answer for the team rival, keeping all other choices the same; AI level, engine supplier, team “differentiator” (I think there’s a question about “what makes your team different” or something like that).

Assuming you can fix the weather to be the same (which I think is an option) and you run the same racing lines and braking points, you should be able roughly see if the car finishes up higher up the grid as a result of your “team rival” answer or am I thinking to simply about this?

Edited by Monzie83