Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 Features Trailer

Message added by PJTierney,

17 minutes ago, DutchRacer87 said:

I like the footage of Giovinazzi spinning and that AlphaTauri clipping the wall in Canada. I hope that means the AI make mistakes more often instead of falling in place in the Trulli train all race long.

The wall clip is from the Braking Pint section so I imagine it's a cut scene. People have said they've noticed more AI movement in the Youtuber's race video's but it hasn't looked any different to me tbh. 

48 minutes ago, DutchRacer87 said:

I like the footage of Giovinazzi spinning and that AlphaTauri clipping the wall in Canada. I hope that means the AI make mistakes more often instead of falling in place in the Trulli train all race long.

Giovinazzi is bound to have low stats. Probably the 5th lowest in the F1 field so would make more mistakes statistically than other drivers. If they've ran thousands of hours of testing then that could have been the only spin or it could have been one of many. Hard to say at this stage.

Hopefully the Trulli train has left the station and they make more concerted efforts to pass but i'm not expecting them to make too many overtakes as they'll only be a tenth or two faster than the car ahead and won't risk a wing so you'll get the DRS trains again. Slipstream is slightly more effective this year so maybe it'll make some difference though. 

The Alpha incident is in Braking Point cutscenes,  I think so isn't indicative of actual gameplay but possibly could be done depending on where their impact detection is set to.

I think mistakes and overtakes are more prevalent at higher AI settings so we shall have to see if it seems more frequent. 

59 minutes ago, DutchRacer87 said:

Canada one looks like an animation for braking point to me.

11 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

If they've ran thousands of hours of testing then that could have been the only spin or it could have been one of many. Hard to say at this stage.

This made me laugh a lot... have you played any of the other games in the series to date?

Some of the footage in the trailer was using an engine for making cutscenes -- so it has nothing to do in-game I believe.

The Canada shoot (0:36) was a cutscene, so was also the F2 2019 part (0:23), the Alpha Tauri's crash (0:21), and a few others. Some though were from in-game replays. I'm sure they did those exclusively for Braking Point and make them have the feeling of being more dramatized and better-looking.

I believe the AI hasn't changed much, probably they have re-worked something but surely not revolutionary at all. Although I have seen the AI going wide in some corners especially in Baku (specifically Turn 15 I think) and breaking his front wing. But apart from what we already know from the 2020's AI, there's nothing much.

Just saying for clarification.

36 minutes ago, Eclipsium said:

I believe the AI hasn't changed much, probably they have re-worked something but surely not revolutionary at all. Although I have seen the AI going wide in some corners especially in Baku (specifically Turn 15 I think) and breaking his front wing. But apart from what we already know from the 2020's AI, there's nothing much.

I don't think any of us can really know until we actually have the launch version of the game to play.

1 minute ago, Ultra3142 said:

I don't think any of us can really know until we actually have the launch version of the game to play.

Of course -- this is just my point of view from what we have seen so far -- I'm aware that things can change at the game's final build. I don't think they will be so evolutionary but maybe there will be a change, and not to forget the Focus stat.

1 hour ago, Eclipsium said:

The Ai is obviously based on their F1 2020 counterpart but in a more refined package, which is a good thing since I haven't been having so much fun racing Ai in a decade until now. It's not perfect of course, but still miles ahead of pretty much all other racing games from recent years in my opinion. 

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

In an ideal world, i'd personally would want loads of playable tracks. I'd want about 30sh in the game. The 23 that are actually in the plan for the season then places like Hockenheim, Turkey, Nurburgring, Malaysia, etc. That way I can mix up different seasons and stop it getting stagnant by doing the same ones over and over.

I get there will be some issues as China/Canada/Singapore/etc were supposed to be in the game anyway so could be classed as licensed whereas those that were never intended to be would have less chance.   Still, it doesn't hurt to hope for bigger changes to happen with EA coming in with bigger boots to push things through! 

With Localised weather drying line after a shower, marbles off the racing line, red flags, classic tracks as you say it would go a long way in improving the gameplay which is what people play most.

Two player career mode and braking point looks alright. 

However not stupid gimmicks like social lobbies as they will be dead in a few months. Idiots will still crash all over the place regardless of what mode the person is in.  

So you can see Toro Rosso cars from 2020 and 2021 in the trailer, plus Renault as well as Alpine. And the interview desk says 2020. So the game presumably contains F1 2020 as well as 2021 seasons? What about 2019? Just for F2 maybe? Or are all 3 seasons in the main game mode actual F1 seasons?

13 minutes ago, VirtuaIceMan said:

So you can see Toro Rosso cars from 2020 and 2021 in the trailer, plus Renault as well as Alpine. And the interview desk says 2020. So the game presumably contains F1 2020 as well as 2021 seasons? What about 2019? Just for F2 maybe? Or are all 3 seasons in the main game mode actual F1 seasons?

F1 2020 cars are only going to be available in the Braking Point story mode.

• Agree 1
18 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

F1 2020 cars are only going to be available in the Braking Point story mode.

Correct. The real reason of why is probably because:

1. They will need to spend more time on developing it in order to make all of the F1 2020 cars eligible for every mode, and also for their own section too (Time Trial and etc).
  2. From what I have seen in gameplay and information, only 5 out of the 10 cars from the 2020 season are elegible in Braking Point; the rest are from the 2021 season (livery) -- atleast from what I have seen from the features trailer, but this could change. I think the reason of this is due to lack of time -- but maybe all 2020 cars will have the right livery at the game's launch, but you will still have 5 teams to choose, so we'll see. After all the livery difference between 2020 and 2021 is not too much, especially Red Bull and McLaren.

This was confirmed by the game developers, I believe. There was barely any footage or information seen apart from the features trailer and a few other videos so all of these points are just a possibility -- this could change for the game's final release. I have no idea about the F2 2019 cars but probably the same thing as the F1 2020 cars.

• Confused 1
14 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

This made me laugh a lot... have you played any of the other games in the series to date?

My first F1 game was 1999 on PS1 and it bred my intense dislike for Damon Hill. That has kinda waned now but I think seeing him in a Jordan will give me flashbacks.

Then F1 2000 on the PC where I just drove around as Jenson in his Williams and barely won anything as I was useless on PC.

Then F1 2001 on the PS2 and I loved being Irvine in his Jaguar. Burti was the worst teammate ever. Imagine losing consistently to Marques. 

Then I had a few years where my mother would no longer buy me any as she didn't see why there needed to be a new one every year. The Fool!   So the next one I got was F1 2005 on the PS2 and it was Renault and Alonso that I loved.  Although it had player failures on and I did 100% races so I hated when i'd get 90% of the way through and the engine would blow. 

Then the series disappeared and Codemasters came along a few years later. I didn't have a Wii so I didn't get F1 2009 and I was studying the first time I went to Uni so I didn't get F1 2010 neither. Once I freed myself from the educational prison, I played F1 2011 virtually all day every weekend and for a few hours during weekdays on the Xbox 360. Then, the following year, a new Senna began a new period of domination as F1 2012 became my most played game of them all. I then got F1 2013 and, for some unknown reason, my affection for the games just vanished overnight when I went to Uni again to do a different course and I barely played it. 

I didn't buy a new one until early 2017 when F1 2016 went on sale and the love came back.  I've played every version since with ever increasing hourly input but I don't really do 100% races anymore as I just don't have the time. Maybe that's the reason I don't get many AI spins. 

8 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'd wonder how much interest there would really be in racing the 2020 cars even if it were an option myself. 

Unless the gameplay is radically different, I doubt it would really get much traction. No pun intended.

You get some comments when a new game comes out where 'nothing really changes and it's the same game as last year'.  If the game mechanics hadn't changed and the liveries are literally last years then there genuinely wouldn't be any express purpose in buying the game.

So including the 2020 cars wouldn't really be be worth the time and resource expenditure when they can play F1 2020 which is dedicated to them. 

8 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'd wonder how much interest there would really be in racing the 2020 cars even if it were an option myself. 

I have 0 interest for driving the 2020 cars, but i would love to see the 2020 drivers on My Team mode. Albon, Kyvat, Magnussen, Grosjean and Hülkenberg.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

I have 0 interest for driving the 2020 cars, but i would love to see the 2020 drivers on My Team mode. Albon, Kyvat, Magnussen, Grosjean and Hülkenberg.

Including more drivers is something I think a significant amount of people could get behind. I'd like to take Hulky to a first podium, I always feel Kmags was better than his results show and Kvyat always seemed fast but his biggest flaw was that he wasn't Max Verstappen. 

Anyone of those you suggested, except Albon who i've never had any interest in, would be someone i'd much prefer having as a teammate instead of Mazepin, Latifi or Gio so would be suitable for low-mid fee (as you wouldn't have to do the buyout from another team) without having to have an F2 driver you already know you will probably beat.  If the previous season drivers could also drive for other teams and not just yours, then awesome as it's more flexibility. 

The Icons thing from this year is... okay. But I would have preferred realistic drivers like you'd suggested. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

Including more drivers is something I think a significant amount of people could get behind. I'd like to take Hulky to a first podium, I always feel Kmags was better than his results show and Kvyat always seemed fast but his biggest flaw was that he wasn't Max Verstappen. 

Anyone of those you suggested, except Albon who i've never had any interest in, would be someone i'd much prefer having as a teammate instead of Mazepin, Latifi or Gio so would be suitable for low-mid fee (as you wouldn't have to do the buyout from another team) without having to have an F2 driver you already know you will probably beat.  If the previous season drivers could also drive for other teams and not just yours, then awesome as it's more flexibility. 

The Icons thing from this year is... okay. But I would have preferred realistic drivers like you'd suggested. 

Personally, I don't really care whether it's F1, F2 or Iconic Drivers, I just want to have a bit of variety and not have to race against the same drivers on the same tracks for years on end.

Just now, FTBuzzard said:

Personally, I don't really care whether it's F1, F2 or Iconic Drivers, I just want to have a bit of variety and not have to race against the same drivers on the same tracks for years on end.

I totally get that.  A problem with F2 drivers is that they're not as good as F1 drivers... at all. Understandably.

However, this means that they usually won't progress to replace them until there is a retirement. Last year, Grosjean and Kmags would retire whereas Schumi and Maz won't, so that's already two less variables so I think it'll probably be worse for you this year. 

Even including F3 drivers wouldn't help unless you were doing a whole Franchise through F3, F2 and F1.

Either a driver move customiser where you can choose who goes where or massively updating the list with departed drivers is your only real options to achieve that. Or both. 

1 minute ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I totally get that.  A problem with F2 drivers is that they're not as good as F1 drivers... at all. Understandably.

However, this means that they usually won't progress to replace them until there is a retirement. Last year, Grosjean and Kmags would retire whereas Schumi and Maz won't, so that's already two less variables so I think it'll probably be worse for you this year. 

Even including F3 drivers wouldn't help unless you were doing a whole Franchise through F3, F2 and F1.

Well, Alonso could retire pretty soon.

And I have rarely had problems with F2 drivers, they are developing quite well, in my last My Team Sette Camara, Hubert and Matsushita won races.