Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

Driver Ratings and Editor

Are we allowed to predict what Overall ratings the drivers would have, or does that run the risk of potentially starting a flame war where somebody criticises a driver and says they're overrated and it just spirals off?

Anyway;

It's been a suggestion since the rankings came in last year for a driver editor where you can change the ratings of a driver to reflect how you see their performance. So I was wondering what people would rate the current F1 (and F2 2020 if you're feeling adventurous) as, and then what they think CM will actually rate them. <--- I based that prediction on before this season began. 

For example,

• Hamilton
    • My rating - 93 - I think he'll still be the best on the grid. There's no reason for him not to be. He was 93 last year and he's not that different.
    • CM Rating - 94 - He has the same number of titles as Schumi and the whole GOAT talk might be awkward when he's less than Senna and Schumi. Rating him the same circumvents that.
  • Bottas
    • My rating - 87 - I think he's a good driver, but mainly in qualifying. Therefore his one-lap pace would be good but race pace drops off.
    • CM Rating - 90 - I think his score will need to be this high in order to get the 1st to 3rd results consistently. Whether they see him as that good, the car is and him being down lower would take away realism.
  • Verstappen 
    • My rating - 92 - His experience stat is the only reason he's not higher. His individual stats are probably the highest for pace and racecraft. 
    • CM Rating - 92 - Less than Hamilton but enough to pacify the people that would be disgruntled by a low score. 
  • Perez
    • My rating - 87 - I think he had a good season last time out where he was rated 85 but nothing that we didn't already know he was good at. A win nudges his score up by 1 and extra experience. 
    • CM Rating - 89 - He's moved to a bigger team. To balance out the performance level against Bottas, he'll be just below him so he'll average 4th place.
  • Norris
    • My rating - 83 - It was between 82 to 84 as he's still young. I think he's got to be less than Riccy but high enough that he'll actually beat him sometimes. 
    • CM Rating - 84 - I think they love Norris. I think they have a high opinion of him and that they'll give him a good score.
  • Ricciardo
    • My rating - 87 - If he was still at Red Bull then 89 to 90, easy. However, the years at Renault (and the start of the McLaren years) have highlighted issues when not the last of late brakers.
    • CM Rating - 88 - I think he was either 88 or 89 last year and I don't think he's done anything to change that. 
  • Alonso
    • My rating - 86 - His experience stat will be like 98 (less than Kimi as he missed two years). That'll nudge his numbers up but I think his overall pace will be less than early 2010's Alonso who would be 92.
    • CM Rating - 88 - If it was taken at the start of the season then everyone thought he'd be raring to go. I think they'll compare him against Kimi's 87 from last year. 
  • Ocon
    • My rating - 81 - I think he came on strong at the end of last season without really setting the world alight.
    • CM Rating - 82 - I think another year of experience after being away and signs of his improvement from last year where he was like 80. 
  • Leclerc 
    • My rating - 91 - I really rate him.  He does make a few mistakes here and there but I think he's definitely the third best driver on the grid.
    • CM Rating - 88 - I don't think CM are all-in on him. Not sure why but he wasn't rated sensationally last time neither. 
  • Sainz
    • My rating - 85 - I've never really bought into him as a TOP driver. Good driver, yeah. Top driver, nah. I think he's better than Norris but less than Perez.
    • CM Rating - 87 - Not unreasonable but I think they will rate him higher than I do.
  • Gasly
    • My rating - 85 - I think he's done wonders for his career renaissance. He's the type of guy now that you could put in a decent car and he'd be right up there.
    • CM Rating - 84 - Not sure if him being mid 80's would affect the development table too much as he'd have to not bring Alpha to the forefront of the midfield.
  • Tsunoda
    • My rating - 73 - I think he's popular and there's youthful exuberance but I also think he's abit hot and cold. Pace stat would be good, the others less so.
    • CM Rating - 77 - People love him, it balances out the Alpha in the midpack and seems a realistic score they'd give him. 
  • Vettel
    • My rating - 86 - He's declined, probably due to confidence. There's definitely a good driver still in there. 
    • CM Rating - 87 - He's still a good driver and the stats do have to reflect that, particularly in the era of icons. 
  • Stroll
    • My rating - 81 - I think he's improved massively over the last 2 seasons and deserves to be at the midfield level.
    • CM Rating - 79 - He's not as good as other drivers in the midfield like Norris and Gasly. The stats have to nerf him a little behind them.
  • Raikkonen
    • My rating - 83 - I think he's done and dusted really. He's still very decent on racepace but there's only so much you can do with the Alfa. When he retires and becomes an icon on his mid 00's stats, he'll be 91 to 92.
    • CM Rating - 84 - He still has some race pace and his experience stat will be in the roof. Last year people said he was too high and I think they'll listen.
  • Giovinazzi
    • My rating - 73 - I think his qualifying is good. His starts are good. His race pace is.. meh. He'll finish ahead of the Haas and Williams but never looks like he belongs in the pack above.
    • CM Rating - 76 - He's improved and I think they'll take pity on him. 
  • Schumacher
    • My rating - 74 - If there was a stat on growth then he'd be perfect. However, he's been good in junior series without being dominant. Better than Tsunoda, i'd say. 
    • CM Rating - 71 - He's an F2 champion but that didn't do wonders for Russell. I think they'll keep him low to keep Haas at the back.
  • Mazepin
    • My rating - 68 - I think he only quick in parts last year and the Hitech team was more aligned to him. He's struggled this year to reiterate that point. 
    • CM Rating - 69 - I think they gave him 60ish last year (as his previous ART season was average). He had a better season last time and he made it to F1 so that'll boost him up. 
  • Russell
    • My rating - 82 - He should be higher. If he'd come out of F2 and went to Williams for a season and then moved up to Racing Point (for example) then he'd be 86, easy. He's that good. However, it's hard to give him great stats when he's only ever had a good car once.
    • CM Rating - 79. Less than some of the midfield but if he's too good then it makes the Williams seem closer to the midfield than it is. 
  • Latifi
    • My rating - I think he's not too far off Russell sometimes. He isn't the best in the world but I think he doesn't seem like he's too out of place anymore. 
    • CM Rating - 75 - They did him real dirty last year when he was somewhere like 68. I got that he was compared against De Vries who did beat him but he stood out as really low.  

It's intended to be some harmless fun to see how useful a Driver Editor would be to people so i'm hoping it doesn't degrade into a "I rate Hamilton 70 because it's just the car". 

To be honest, I've a feeling that those driver stats we saw in the game actually doesn't mean anything, there's probably some other values hidden behind the files that actually determine the driver's ability. Or else I just don't understand how 2nd drivers in this game could in most cases out performing their supposedly faster teammate, massively.

Edited by DRTApophis
  1. Do I want a driver (stats) and engine (stats) editor? Absolutely, yes please!
  2. Is there a simple way to keep the original / Codemaster driver stats interesting? Yes, achievements and progress only when those are being used.
  3. Are there other important points? Please, do ensure that driver stats / behaviour is consistent between game modes, so we not again get mygame with a disguised Hamilton (as Bottas).
  4. Do I have an opinion about driver stats? I do, but that might require a bit more thinking into all the possible stats.
  5. Should community try and influence driver / engine / car stats? Yes we should, lets have a superthread with voting on these, so we learn what everyone thinks.
  6. How should we start? Starting off the last driver stats we had in 2020 sounds like the best idea, I would include all stats into the discussion though.
  7. Anything else? Yes, we will get a new driver stat in 2021 and it remains to be seen how this influences everything else in the game. Any dev insights here yet?
  8. What needs to be clarified? Are any there "hidden stats" present at all and if what do they do (any CM confirm that), or is that just rumors?
  • Agree 2
10 hours ago, Schneehase said:
  1. Do I want a driver (stats) and engine (stats) editor? Absolutely, yes please!  = - It would save alot of time for people to be able to change them but I guess the teams themselves won't be happy if you recategorise their engine as literally blowing out their backside and being useless. Drivers probably have more scope for customisation but I don't think they'll provide it at this time. 
  2. Is there a simple way to keep the original / Codemaster driver stats interesting? Yes, achievements and progress only when those are being used. - I could imagine them doing an online/offline thing where in grand prix mode the stats you edit are usable but you can only use the Codemasters stats in Career and MyTeam. 
  3. Are there other important points? Please, do ensure that driver stats / behaviour is consistent between game modes, so we not again get mygame with a disguised Hamilton (as Bottas). - I did notice that sometimes Bottas is completely out of the park and miles ahead. I also noticed that for most of my save Perez really wasn't great... Like, at all.  Then he had one season where Codemasters had updated stats and he was a consistent podium finisher and Max would finish around midfield.
  4. Do I have an opinion about driver stats? I do, but that might require a bit more thinking into all the possible stats. - I accept there are alot of variables that can affect the stats so its hard to come to decisions easily regarding overall ratings. 
  5. Should community try and influence driver / engine / car stats? Yes we should, lets have a superthread with voting on these, so we learn what everyone thinks. - I like the idea providing it is inclusive and everyone has a say ranging from those that use this forum to those that have never even heard of this forum. If there's a way to get a far-reaching community outreach then i'd like the concept. 
  6. How should we start? Starting off the last driver stats we had in 2020 sounds like the best idea, I would include all stats into the discussion though. - I presume the last driver stats would be the baseline that the season begins with and there'll be some update that covers the first few races of the season just after release.
  7. Anything else? Yes, we will get a new driver stat in 2021 and it remains to be seen how this influences everything else in the game. Any dev insights here yet? - The focus stat?  They did give a description of what this means. It's based on interview answers and performances on the track. It's basically like a confidence level that controls whether or not they'll perform well or under expectations. 
  8. What needs to be clarified? Are any there "hidden stats" present at all and if what do they do (any CM confirm that), or is that just rumors? = There's definitely some hidden stats but saying what they do is probably just guesswork. I can't imagine all driver AI runs off 4 different stats.