Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

Posted (edited)

1. Is it true that F1 2021 was supposed to have 2 historic circuits?

2. According to some rumors there were supposed to be 5 short tracks, in F1 2020 there are 4 (Bahrain, Japan, USA, Great Britain) Is there anything known about this fifth? If there's any truth to it, of course.

3. On tracks in Spain or Australia, it is enough to update 1-2 turns, it's not that much and they can do it after the game's premiere, unless they are so lazy and don't want to?

4. Is it true that there is a slipstream in F1 2021?

Maybe some moderator or someone has some specific information on this topic?

Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my language.

Edited by AndRe5550148
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, AndRe5550148 said:

3. On tracks in Spain or Australia, it is enough to update 1-2 turns, it's not that much and they can do it after the game's premiere, unless they are so lazy and don't want to?

The stated reason for not updating the Spain and Australia tracks is that Codemasters is prioritising working on adding the Imola, Portimao and Jeddah tracks. I suspect we may be waiting a fair while before we have all of these sadly.

12 hours ago, AndRe5550148 said:

3. On tracks in Spain or Australia, it is enough to update 1-2 turns, it's not that much and they can do it after the game's premiere, unless they are so lazy and don't want to?    I'm not sure it's laziness, but they did say they're prioritising other aspects of the game, in particular the three new tracks.  They'll probably be in Patch 8 far later in the year and I imagine at that stage, it'll be bug-fixing on this game and focusing on next years so the Spain/Aussie tracks won't change. 

4. Is it true that there is a slipstream in F1 2021?   It is true, and it is powerful judging by the early preview builds. Obviously it will be track dependent but in Baku and Belgium, at least, it seems to be really powerful when combined with DRS and ERS Overtake. Obviously early preview builds are not entirely reflective of the finished product but something like that probably won't be removed at this stage, although it could be nerfed if it is overkill. 

13 hours ago, AndRe5550148 said:

4. Is it true that there is a slipstream in F1 2021?

There is a slipstream effect in the current game but it does look like the effect may be stronger in F1 2021 from the released gameplay. This could be adjusted prior to release though.

15 hours ago, AndRe5550148 said:

it is enough to update 1-2 turns, it's not that much

sentences like this or "it's easy to do" always make me wonder how people know this, are they game developers themselves or where did they get this info?

• Agree 6
6 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

sentences like this or "it's easy to do" always make me wonder how people know this, are they game developers themselves or where did they get this info?

I always think the exact same thing as you. 

You'd have to configure weather, ai racing patterns, racing lines, kerb behaviour, tyre wear, fuel usage, impact models, etc. All of that stuff, plus undoing the previous layout and making it obsolete, is bound to introduce bugs. It's definitely not a few hours work. 

I know it's a highly skilled team but they'd be the first to get the complaints if they divert resource to that and a different part of the game is underdeveloped.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1
3 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

You'd have to configure weather, ai racing patterns, racing lines, kerb behaviour, tyre wear, fuel usage, impact models, etc. All of that stuff, plus undoing the previous layout and making it obsolete, is bound to introduce bugs. It's definitely not a few hours work. 

I know it's a highly skilled team but they'd be the first to get the complaints if they divert resource to that and a different part of the game is underdeveloped.

Everything is easy within our imaginations, until we start doing it ourselves, and then we question our life choices 😬

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

Exactly this. 

Although some mods might be able to do things on other games to a smaller audience, remember we have to publish the game to a worldwide fanbase, with millions of stakeholders from players to the sporting bodies itself. Different levels of stakeholders require different stringencies. 

• Agree 4

"Questions about F1 2021" or "Are Spain and Australia being updated" those post are the new "When Beta it's out" "Beta Questions", we just change the theme everyweek im curious about next week theme, maybe Classic cars? Who knows. 

Like @Ultra3142loves to say "Bear in mind" the game will answear those questions in about 3 weeks, keep calm ma man, the game it's almost out. And like i said in other post about the same question, Australia it's getting a new layout, yes, but we not even know if there will be a GP this year, they can cancell anytime. 

• Agree 1
4 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

Have to say i disagree with this.  Tracks being correct (and present for that matter) is absolutely fundamental to the official F1 2021 game in my opinion.

Again, my opinion only, appreciate others may disagree, but i think they absolutely should have diverted resource and “under developed” other areas (such as fictional story mode) to get the fundamentals correct and included for launch.

• Agree 2
9 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Have to say i disagree with this.  Tracks being correct (and present for that matter) is absolutely fundamental to the official F1 2021 game in my opinion.

Again, my opinion only, appreciate others may disagree, but i think they absolutely should have diverted resource and “under developed” other areas (such as fictional story mode) to get the fundamentals correct and included for launch.

That's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions and bound to disagree on some things. I don't disagree that it would be better for everything to be perfect and up-to-date but that's in a utopian world that hasn't come to pass. 

However, from a company brand reputation point-of-view;

• Option A - Don't update the tracks but invest in a (hopefully) exciting new mode with smooth storyline and functional gameplay. The tracks themselves still work, but aren't representative of a real life season. (In which the game doesn't reflect anyway). Promote your new mode heavily and intrigue the fanbase into perceiving this as a step forward and reason to purchase your product.
  • Option B - Perfect the circuits to reflect real-life, while praying they don't get taken off the schedule. You're introducing a new storyline-based mode but you know it'll be buggy, anti-climatic and abit of a damb squib. However, that's okay as you'll brush it under the carpet and heavily advertise the fact that your tracks represent this year's track layouts and hope your fanbase think a few corners here-and-there is a reason to shell out £50-70 (varies per region) for your new edition. Meanwhile, you're hoping you've not introduced other bugs into the game to do it. 

I definitely can see why they went with Option A.

However, I accept you have perfectly valid points from a gameplay viewpoint. Braking point is 6 hours of gameplay (that you'll play 2-3 times a year, at most. Probably). The tracks are things you do in Grand Prix, Championships, Braking Point (possibly), My Team, Single player Career, Two-player career and Time Trial. In terms of time invested in each Option, utilitarianism implies Option B is a more feasible choice. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

I think you are mistaking this game for a simulation , this is an arcade game and the main audience members  are youngsters or kidults hence the amount of time spent on producing sideshow items like the banana splits oven gloves and  ephemera available in the pits shop or the amazing ' Childs Story ' Breaking/Braking point. There  is a confusion here about what this game is actually about , because its about so many things that not everything can be fully realised, IMWO of course.

One would think that tracks would matter , but what about what Devons butler is upto , will he , wont he , maybe he will , maybe he wont. You see that's taken your mind off tracks.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2
43 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

I know this was already said, but:

Let's say you are the head developer of F1 2021, and you see that you might not have time enough to finish the new layouts from Spain and Australia. What would you do?

I would rather leaving them as how they are (2020 layout) than updating them and for the game's launch have lots of bugs in terms of AI or SC following the racing line, collision, car stability, assists on the rebranded corners/straights, etc. That would really put Codemasters in a bad looking position. It is much better if they do not update them than they rushing to update it. If they don't have time, then for the next one. Personally it is no big deal, and remember, there is a virus making the situation harder. And yeah, this could also potentially make the Imola, Portimao and Jeddah tracks come even with more bugs and get released later than they thought. What would you rather, have the tracks updated yet still with bugs, having Braking Point being delayed or very buggy and the new tracks being released even later than supposed, or just not updating them and have the new tracks as soon as possible because it is a more important thing since they are tracks from the 2021 calendar?

You can't have a perfect game -- all games has it's pros and it's cons. But it isn't Codemasters' fault, since they have got a small margin of development time. As said, there is a virus making companies have more work to do and make development go slower. And no, Electronic Arts can't bring up resources immediately once they have bought them -- they have bought them while Codemasters was working with F1 2021, so they can't do much.

Again, this is just a minor and easy to deal with.

By the way, my english is very poor so probably something I just said doesn't make sense 🙂.

• Agree 1

Some tracks are very old, which is what codemasters have done over the years where the tracks haven't changed at all. The truth is that they did nothing and now suddenly they have a lot to do so they can't do everything, the tracks should be updated every year then they would have little work and be up to date and after a few years you suddenly need a lot of changes on some tracks.

This is the official game of F1 so it should have all tracks from this year done well, you know how it was a year ago and you can not accuse them of not making the tracks from the previous year but here everything should be done 100% well, let's not demand that the premiere was all but maybe codemasters should ensure players that these tracks will be updated after the premiere and there would be no topic and the players would be calm and satisfied.

Sorry for mistakes 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 4

About the slipstream, from what I've been observed visually, seems to be reducing the drag of cars from behind by about roughly 15-20% instead of 10% in the F1 2020 game. I also heard dirty air is slightly stronger but couldn't confirm because that has to be feel by first-hand experience, but I bet it's around 18% downforce reduction.

Edited by DRTApophis
Just now, Jameel2008 said:

Maybe in a later release we get historic tracks.

Not possible due to lack of time they have got. It takes a lot of months to, not only do the full track layout with its full textures and uphills/downhills, but also for collision, AI & SC following the racing line and acting, assists (braking and racing line), check for laps; track limits and/or when a yellow flag could be caused, etc.

These tracks usually takes around 8 months, or more. So it makes sense why Codemasters are releasing the new tracks in a post-launch patch.

If Codemasters have already been working with historic tracks for F1 2022 then it might be possible, but we can't know because we don't even have any information of that game at all.

On 6/9/2021 at 1:33 PM, Ultra3142 said:

The stated reason for not updating the Spain and Australia tracks is that Codemasters is prioritising working on adding the Imola, Portimao and Jeddah tracks. I suspect we may be waiting a fair while before we have all of these sadly.

That's ridiculous IMO.   It's two tracks, one turn at each.  There's no excuse good enough for it not being done before release IMO.  I understand all the things going on in the world etc, but these two changes were announced long ago for each track.  There's been plenty of time to make those two adjustments.   I can undersatnd Imola, Portimao and Jeddah being later than the others; that's a massive undertaking, but two adjustments to a turn at two tracks that;s been known for a long time... come on.

• Agree 3
13 hours ago, Exasperated said:

I think you are mistaking this game for a simulation , this is an arcade game and the main audience members  are youngsters or kidults hence the amount of time spent on producing sideshow items like the banana splits oven gloves and  ephemera available in the pits shop or the amazing ' Childs Story ' Breaking/Braking point. There  is a confusion here about what this game is actually about , because its about so many things that not everything can be fully realised, IMWO of course.

One would think that tracks would matter , but what about what Devons butler is upto , will he , wont he , maybe he will , maybe he wont. You see that's taken your mind off tracks.

We really need to turn this game into simulation. I am glad they are making huge steps with the damage, the temperatures and the handling. I absolutely hated it when players can just easily stay within drs range without the power unit overheating and saving all their ERS. I really can’t believe that people prefer to know what Devon Butler is doing rather than making the tracks closer to the real life models and design. I can’t really say that those are real F1 fans to be honest, and that is a bit disappointing and a bit depressing to hear. This is probably the only way we can get close to the real feeling of the sport. I hope Breaking Point does, though, show us the business side, internal discussions of the sport though, like I don’t know…. For example maybe something like when Steiner was negotiating with sponsors in the Drive to Survive series. 

Edited by Krisperfectline
4 hours ago, petro1319 said:

It's two tracks, one turn at each. 

I'm not sure about Spain but as above the changes at Australia are far more extensive.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • PJTierney changed the title to F1 2021 Questions