Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Formula 1 Do You Think McLaren Should Use There Own Engines?

Currently Honda is supplying engines to McLaren, but I don't think its doing them any good. So what do you think?

I think that they should at least try to make their own power unit. If it doesn't work then they should go back to using Mercedes Engines.

I know obviously they are doing a bit terribly with Honda, but looking at their current situation, they should stick with them really.

If they go back to Mercedes then it's very unlikely they will beat the works team as the Mercedes F1 car is a very much integrated package of chassis and engine. At least with Honda they are their main focus and they have the best chance of winning, if you get what I mean.

I don't think they should make their own engines either, as it'll probably turn out worse than Honda is now.

I honestly believe that McLaren Honda will come good and they will be up the front with the likes of Mercedes and Ferrari. I don't see that happening until 2017 at the earliest, but I am sure it will happen. Honda are a company who know what they're doing, they'll get it right eventually with the performance, ERS, fuel economy, etc.

I know obviously they are doing a bit terribly with Honda, but looking at their current situation, they should stick with them really.

If they go back to Mercedes then it's very unlikely they will beat the works team as the Mercedes F1 car is a very much integrated package of chassis and engine. At least with Honda they are their main focus and they have the best chance of winning, if you get what I mean.

I don't think they should make their own engines either, as it'll probably turn out worse than Honda is now.

I honestly believe that McLaren Honda will come good and they will be up the front with the likes of Mercedes and Ferrari. I don't see that happening until 2017 at the earliest, but I am sure it will happen. Honda are a company who know what they're doing, they'll get it right eventually with the performance, ERS, fuel economy, etc.
So what do you thing is making all the problems? I know Honda are really good at what they do, but what do you think is going on?

If I knew what the problems were Honda would be paying me the big yen. :)
I think Honda is on target. They might have been aiming to match Merc engines but realistically that's a lot of complex engineering and testing from scratch in a very short amount of time. The Mclaren cars don't appear to be that good either. Even with Merc engines they would probably be battling FI and Lotus. With more time I think Honda has a better outlook than Renault.. now there is some problems...

"So, we are struggling to design a competitive chassis for years now..."

"Yeah, don't you think we should give our own engine a try aswell?"

They haven't really got much choice. They want to be a works team, so that instantly rules out Mercedes. Ford will take at least three years to design the engine, so they need someone in the mean time. McLaren are struggling financially as it is, so there is no way they can afford to design their own power unit, and the time factor is still an issue.

All they can do is hope Honda eventually get it right.

So what do you thing is making all the problems? I know Honda are really good at what they do, but what do you think is going on?
Well I think it's not helped that they're realistically a year behind the other engine manufacturers, they've not had the same mileage and testing as they have, so it was always going to be difficult. They just need a bit of time to sort it out.

I agree I think all will  come good eventually plus the 2 have worked together pretty successfully before and I don't see why they can't again Honda just really need to figure out what's wrong and put it right. It may take a couple of years but given time I think they'll get there

I agree I think all will  come good eventually plus the 2 have worked together pretty successfully before and I don't see why they can't again Honda just really need to figure out what's wrong and put it right. It may take a couple of years but given time I think they'll get there
Even though my favorite team is Ferrari I still hope that McLaren gets to become a winning team again.

Totally voted for Ford because that's about the only thing that might be more hilarious than McLaren's current predicament.

Although I must admit, I am slowly starting to feel bad for them.

Well I think it's not helped that they're realistically a year behind the other engine manufacturers, they've not had the same mileage and testing as they have, so it was always going to be difficult. They just need a bit of time to sort it out.

yeah that's the main reason for the setbacks the other engine companies are familiar with this tech now. Honda are still learning about it. Honda aren't foolish though they know how to build a good engine. Given another year or 2 |McLaren will get back up there they're just too good to be at the back of the grid for long. They knew that this season and maybe next will be tough for them and they'd just have to ride it out probably when they made the decision to do this. But long term they'll probably come out good again. They are one of F1's big teams so they don't really have too much to worry about as long as they can ride it out.

They should stick with Honda. Honda are capable of making a winning engine but I'm pretty sure we all knew that this year would be a transition year for them and weren't expecting much more than we're seeing now. If they're at the same level next year it will be a different story.

That being said, I am surprised they've not done their own engines before considering what they managed with their P1 road car. Obviously a whole different ball game, but still. Perhaps that's what they'll do if Honda don't move forward and the relationship breaks down...wouldn't be the first time we hear about Mclaren Honda breaking down afterall.

They should stick with Honda. Honda are capable of making a winning engine but I'm pretty sure we all knew that this year would be a transition year for them and weren't expecting much more than we're seeing now. If they're at the same level next year it will be a different story.

That being said, I am surprised they've not done their own engines before considering what they managed with their P1 road car. Obviously a whole different ball game, but still. Perhaps that's what they'll do if Honda don't move forward and the relationship breaks down...wouldn't be the first time we hear about Mclaren Honda breaking down afterall.
not sure whether to like your post or Lol it as that last part is so true.