Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 - show type of control (wheel, pad, keyboard)

I have a racing wheel, but due to lack of space and time, also children flying around, I hardly ever set it up for a proper session.

So, most of the time, if I want some quick track time, I do it "the old school Geoff Crammond GP - GP4 way" with a keyboard.
Settings are still according to that game from the 90s, meaning , = left - . = right,  A = accelarate, Z= brake, the shifts or CTRL for gears, space bar for DRS, etc etc.

Normally, keyboard users are at a disadvantage. But recently, I went out on some tracks with an F2 car and managed to top the leaderboard in Melbourne and Zandvoort. So, I would like that F1 2021 would make it visible what use of control everybody is using. How do I compare to others that use old school, or alternative ways of control? And how far off am I from the ones using pad, or wheel?  Currently, there is no way to tell, other from the use of assists. But I would like that controller input is made visible.

Edited by Danimal5981
1 hour ago, Danimal5981 said:

I have a racing wheel, but due to lack of space and time, also children flying around, I hardly ever set it up for a proper session.

So, most of the time, if I want some quick track time, I do it "the old school Geoff Crammond GP - GP4 way" with a keyboard.
Settings are still according to that game from the 90s, meaning , = left - . = right,  A = accelarate, Z= brake, the shifts or CTRL for gears, space bar for DRS, etc etc.

Normally, keyboard users are at a disadvantage. But recently, I went out on some tracks with an F2 car and managed to top the leaderboard in Melbourne and Zandvoort. So, I would like that F1 2021 would make it visible what use of control everybody is using. How do I compare to others that use old school, or alternative ways of control? And how far off am I from the ones using pad, or wheel?  Currently, there is no way to tell, other from the use of assists. But I would like that controller input is made visible.

I don't know what it is that makes you think you are at a disadvantage using a key board as everything is all equal when playing the F1 game, no one is gaining an advantage no matter how they play the game your times will be the same. Hope that puts your mind at rest and you can just get on with the racing ,its knowing the tracks well that is the important thing along with a good set up like a extra traction hack or DRS permanently open hack or track limits  off hack  or turning down force feed back settings for curbs and off track effects so you don't get affected by anything  these are the things that make a driver quicker not the type of controller you use which is definitely all equal. You could easily prove this by taking a selection of players off this forum and getting them to each run three laps using a pad a wheel and a keyboard first using T- Cam view then in Cockpit view and all their times would be within a few thousandths of a second.

I know it sounds odd but that's just how it is in the F1 game which of course makes everything fair and all the players are happy with the outcome.

Enjoy your racing. Regards.

• 1 month later...

I don't think the game compensates for the fact that a keyboard only provides four directions and not a lot of sensativity in throttle or brake pressure.

For example, when determining setups, a keyboard player will go for a lot of rear stability otherwise the car just slides aruound, whereas with a steering wheel it's easier to compensate.

So, there are subtle differences which is why during time trial it would be nice to know if a certain driver, or a certain setup is suitable for a certain steering method.