Jump to content Jump to content

Car upgrades f1 2020 vs. 2021

In f1 2020 we had a upgrade system, which was based kind of a tree diagramm. We had the possibility to choose which aspect exactly we want to upgrade of the car. When you think, your downforce of your rearwing is a weakness of your car, you were able to invest there. If you think your car reacts to  sedate / portly (was the right word?), you were able to invest in weight of the car. I really liked that system. 

In f1 2021 (what I have seen so far) it seems to be much more linear. You still can choose which part/category of the car you want to upgrade but it seems you are not able to choose what part of f.e. Chassis exactly you want to upgrade. 

The new design is great but am not sure if the system is. Am I right with my observatios? Can someone confirm what I noticed? What are your opinions ? 

Especially for the coop career the f1 2020 / 19 system would fitted much more, because you would have been able to decide more together. 

1 hour ago, DonBlanko said:

I really liked that system

Completely agree on that one. Its like with so many other computer games, change seems to happen in areas you would least expect it, respectively in areas where no change is needed to improve the gaming experience.

One might ask what the downsides of the tree system may have been, that caused developers to overhaul it. I only see 2 points that could be adressed here: More freedom of choice what to focus development on next, though it remains to be seen, if after the removal of the tree (where progression lead to unlocking of more choices) will lead to more choices right from the beginning. The other point adressed is better visualization of the technology being developed, but I will not judge if I like the 2021 approach before I have seen it in game. It could be just pictures of tech, or simple graphics, or 3D renderings, or a virtual camera drive around and through your car. Who knows. Is that needed or does it improve the game? I dont know, I might have preferred to see improvements elsewhere - lets hope we get these as well.

4 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

In f1 2020 we had a upgrade system, which was based kind of a tree diagramm. We had the possibility to choose which aspect exactly we want to upgrade of the car. When you think, your downforce of your rearwing is a weakness of your car, you were able to invest there. If you think your car reacts to  sedate / portly (was the right word?), you were able to invest in weight of the car. I really liked that system. 

In f1 2021 (what I have seen so far) it seems to be much more linear. You still can choose which part/category of the car you want to upgrade but it seems you are not able to choose what part of f.e. Chassis exactly you want to upgrade. 

The new design is great but am not sure if the system is. Am I right with my observatios? Can someone confirm what I noticed? What are your opinions ? 

Especially for the coop career the f1 2020 / 19 system would fitted much more, because you would have been able to decide more together. 

I haven't really dig into the new R&D system yet because there aren't enough footage for me to observe it thoroughly, but I would question the reasons behind making the system more linear if it's really the case. The tree system works just fine, itself only needs some readjustment on the pacing of progression, at the very least it gave players just enough options to vary their gameplay of choice. 

1 hour ago, DRTApophis said:

I haven't really dig into the new R&D system yet because there aren't enough footage for me to observe it thoroughly, but I would question the reasons behind making the system more linear if it's really the case. The tree system works just fine, itself only needs some readjustment on the pacing of progression, at the very least it gave players just enough options to vary their gameplay of choice. 

I think I remember seeing a scroll ability, and yes it is linear, but, to my memory, there's different linear paths, e.g. path for front downforce, path for rear downforce, path for drag reduction. So I assume it'd be the same for every r&d category

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, ChromexReaper said:

I think I remember seeing a scroll ability, and yes it is linear, but, to my memory, there's different linear paths, e.g. path for front downforce, path for rear downforce, path for drag reduction. So I assume it'd be the same for every r&d category

So instead of branching paths where players would need to invest on other components first before starting to develop what they wanted, now it's all separated and individual paths? Can't say my opinion on this yet, would need to try it myself, but it would sure be convenient to just go straight for the path you wanna focus, just hope it isn't too convenient though, that would be a bit too one-dimension. 

Edited by DRTApophis
4 hours ago, ChromexReaper said:

If it is like that, it would be great. I really hope we still can manage which part of the car we want to upgrade exactly and not only the category chassis, engine and downforce step by step. That would really kill the immersion, which the game already created in last years. Maybe a beta-tester could say more? 

28 minutes ago, DonBlanko said:

If it is like that, it would be great. I really hope we still can manage which part of the car we want to upgrade exactly and not only the category chassis, engine and downforce step by step. That would really kill the immersion, which the game already created in last years. Maybe a beta-tester could say more? 

Personally, it's okay for me that they make the upgrade paths more linear or in other way of saying it, direct and to the point.

Though my biggest criticism of the current system is how the tree is just too small for the amount of resources you can get late-game. Imo, they should do it like leveling up in some RPG games. Where at some point during the upgrade paths, it would enter the phrase of diminishing return, which in this game it could be an extra path (that's almost impossible to complete) after the final major upgrade of said department, and the upgrade within this path would be very pricey and takes a long time to develop each component, but the result is also that it only give you very minimal improvement on performance. It gives the hardcore players more things to chase after in late-game, pretty much just like refining the car to as perfect as possible. 

Edited by DRTApophis
10 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

Personally, it's okay for me that they make the upgrade paths more linear or in other way of saying it, direct and to the point.

Though my biggest criticism of the current system is how the tree is just too small for the amount of resources you can get late-game. Imo, they should do it like leveling up in some RPG games. Where at some point during the upgrade paths, it would enter the phrase of diminishing return, which in this game it could be an extra path (that's almost impossible to complete) after the final major upgrade of said department, and the upgrade within this path would be very pricey and takes a long time to develop each component, but the result is also that it only give you very minimal improvement on performance. It gives the hardcore players more things to chase after in late-game, pretty much just like refining the car to as perfect as possible. 

But this problem, gaining to much RP, for too less upgrades, will be solved with the new settings you can adjust in f1 2021. I really like that little feature ! 

11 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

They aren't allowed to I'm afraid.

Hm.. maybe you are right. But I watches some videos in YouTube where they showed the new design. But I did not found a video where they talked about our topic here. Maybe some else has seen something. 

1 hour ago, DonBlanko said:

Hm.. maybe you are right. But I watches some videos in YouTube where they showed the new design. But I did not found a video where they talked about our topic here. Maybe some else has seen something. 

A small number of prominent YouTubers have been given access to an early build of the game to help with its promotion. This is not the same version that the beta testers have and critically the individuals in question are not subject to the same NDA as the beta testers.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Like 1

I don't think it'll be that different tbh, just will aesthetically look better. With the new CAD designs, you can physically see what the part would look like which will help educate people on how the cars work. Any learning experience is a good experience!

You still have the 3 performance sections and pathways for particular aspects of the car. 

For example, if you think your car needs rear weight reduction then you flick to the Chassis tab and there'll be a few linear paths for Weight Reduction, Weight Redistribution, Tyres, Brakes, etc

You can do the same on this version on F1 2020 in a fashion. 

If you think your car needs weight reduction then you go to the R&D tab, flick to the right and look around for ones that concern weight reduction. I've very crudely given an example below of how that would have looked. 

image.png.f8956587614caba3bbfe7633a5a1e9f3.png

I think that it'll look nicer now without really changing the functionality. 

Obviously that's just guesswork based on youtube videos but that's not a final build, nor even the one the Beta's get. I think?   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I don't think it'll be that different tbh, just will aesthetically look better. With the new CAD designs, you can physically see what the part would look like which will help educate people on how the cars work. Any learning experience is a good experience!

You still have the 3 performance sections and pathways for particular aspects of the car. 

For example, if you think your car needs rear weight reduction then you flick to the Chassis tab and there'll be a few linear paths for Weight Reduction, Weight Redistribution, Tyres, Brakes, etc

You can do the same on this version on F1 2020 in a fashion. 

If you think your car needs weight reduction then you go to the R&D tab, flick to the right and look around for ones that concern weight reduction. I've very crudely given an example below of how that would have looked. 

image.png.f8956587614caba3bbfe7633a5a1e9f3.png

I think that it'll look nicer now without really changing the functionality. 

Obviously that's just guesswork based on youtube videos but that's not a final build, nor even the one the Beta's get. I think?   

Agreed, I took that away from the previews too. Not removing functionality, just a redesign of the interface, and frankly it's welcome. While some may appreciate the tree, I find it to be visually too cluttered to work with and I may find myself dipping into the research side of the game a bit more this time round. 

• Agree 1

What I've seen so far of the new R&D system, I actually like. Visually, I really like the design with the schematics of the parts you're working towards, very Gran Turismo. I also kind of like that you don't know what comes after it, at least as a driver in Driver Career mode it should be a case of "this is what we can work on at the moment, what do you think?", similar to F1 2012's R&D.

7 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

But this problem, gaining to much RP, for too less upgrades, will be solved with the new settings you can adjust in f1 2021. I really like that little feature ! 

Yes that's what I'm hoping too, though we still don't know the scale of the effects, and if it can be change mid-season (sessions) like difficulty settings. 

I've had tested lowering the resource gain by 50% on PC and the gain was still quite a bit too quick during endgame for my personal liking 😝

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 1