Jump to content Jump to content

Multiplayer ranked changes in 2021

After just starting a ranked race on 2020 in which everyone just dove right into each other off the line, not even waiting for Turn 1, I have to say the opportunity for no-collision multiplayer races coming in 2021 is starting to seem very attractive. 

I think CM will find those lobbies to be full of not just beginners when the game launches! A lot of us would appreciate a quick online experience that isn't just wreckfest on asphalt. 

That said, I'm hoping @BarryBLcould perhaps shed some light on if these 'casual' lobbies will still allow players to rank up either in license or safety rating or both?

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want this to sound like a moan but… what is the point of multiplayer?

After years of playing F1 games i thought i’d have a go in unranked lobbies, but it’s impossible to finish a race… so i had a go in ranked thinking people might keep it clean. But no, if people cant get past they just put you in the wall. Its really frustrating to waste time doing 25% races and not even being able to finish the race.

Is there an option to race against people who actually keep it clean? Is that the idea of the super licence?

😁

Edited by Jobling1983
  • Agree 1
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

After years of playing F1 games i thought i’d have a go in unranked lobbies, but it’s impossible to finish a race… so i had a go in ranked thinking people might keep it clean. But no, if people cant get past they just put you in the wall. Its really frustrating to waste time doing 25% races and not even being able to finish the race.

Is there an option to race against people who actually keep it clean? Is that the idea of the super licence?

😁

When you've had some good, intense racing experiences in multiplayer it's difficult to go back to racing the AI. I almost doze off at times when playing the offline modes. won't be the same for everyone of course, but I definitely caught the bug. 

Yes it can be crazy, but you do get wiser, able to spot trouble and avoid, at least more often than not, of course chaos will always find you eventually, this is genuinely entertaining for me :classic_laugh:

In theory, the cleaner you race, the higher you rise, and the cleaner the races will be. It's not particularly well balanced though and unfortunately players are able to take advantage of a very lenient penalty system that may charge them 2 seconds time penalty for ruining your race altogether. We continually campaign and hope for improvements in this area. 

Of course there are Leagues available etc, which are organised and if done correctly can be cleaner but you can't just jump in to those as they'll be 1 race per week or whatever it'll be for their own personal championships. 

All in all, if you go in expecting F1, you're going to be disappointed, but it can deliver some real adrenaline pumping moments and victories out of the jaws of defeat that you can't really replicate against AI opponents. 

I've never seen a car fly sideways over my cockpit offline, at least not yet. 

I also get to drive a hilariously garish car and be sure it will be annoying the purists as I drive past. 

tumblr_37f85ba2da3d72ae0c11fdd5251fba64_2adce6fa_2048.jpg.aabaf820cd6d81d801e057fffb5b30e4.thumb.jpg.387601bd1a13929c24daf74f6ceb80dc.jpg

Edited by KNT2011
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Social Media & Community Team
15 hours ago, Jobling1983 said:

I prefer to race against human opponents as they're less predictable than AI, and I can also play the mental game with them.

A good battle where both players are thinking and adapting on the fly is great.

• Agree 5
5 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I prefer to race against human opponents as they're less predictable than AI, and I can also play the mental game with them.

A good battle where both players are thinking and adapting on the fly is great.

I totally agree. That’s why I thought i’d have a go online. It’s just frustrating that you can get 90% through a race and then somebody takes you out because they couldn’t complete a fair overtake.

i might just stick to 5 lap races as less time is wasted that way 🤣

• Social Media & Community Team

I've said it before that the main reason for most incidents is that players aren't skilled enough to keep their own car on the road, or know how battling with another car affects their racing line.

You do have a few griefers but the vast majority of accidents come from people having their own little accidents.

• Agree 1
16 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I've said it before that the main reason for most incidents is that players aren't skilled enough to keep their own car on the road, or know how battling with another car affects their racing line.

You do have a few griefers but the vast majority of accidents come from people having their own little accidents.

You have avoided the thread question though :classic_tongue:

"'if the new casual' lobbies will still allow players to rank up either in license or safety rating or both?"

6 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Pj - smashing you of the track on a straight when you are much faster by a Mario Kart Driver isn‘t that fun experience- in a corner ok - but on purpose on a straight ?????

just happens to me yesterday on the weekly event - so 

You can practice that very well and it works quite well on starting 

The game does not recognize this ….

• Agree 2

This is what I’ve been experiencing. Worst place for it is Red Bull ring. 

I’m finding that if you purposely have a slow start, let people take each other out, then work through the carnage 🤣

managed to get a few podiums and work up to an A safety rating 👍.

PJ is right though, definitely a different skill to racing AI and I’m slowly getting there.

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Short answer: I don't know (yet).

Ranking up your license, i would get that. But surely not safty rating. You would be racing against ghosts just like time trial 🤷🏼‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

Ranking up your license, i would get that. But surely not safty rating. You would be racing against ghosts just like time trial 🤷🏼‍♂️

See you'd think this, but the safety rating also takes into account cutting corners and track limits to in theory you could still get, or lose, points for those. 

19 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

I’m finding that if you purposely have a slow start, let people take each other out, then work through the carnage 🤣

managed to get a few podiums and work up to an A safety rating 👍.

PJ is right though, definitely a different skill to racing AI and I’m slowly getting there.

Is that the way it is meant to be played ????

many skilled players doing it that way - but is that racing ??

due to this I ended my qualification laps in the pits just to qualify last …..

But is this the way MP should work ? 

However on a certain level this is fine for safety rating but will not help with skill points 

22 minutes ago, Shark2Racing said:

it's not, but you have the same problem in other games, even shooters like Counter Strike you'll have people team killing, griefing or cheating. It's not something unique to the F1 games, it's a known problem among all Multiplayer games. The issue is the people, not the games.

I still prefer MP over SP for the reasons PJTierny mentioned, it's less predictable to race against real humans and it's more challenging. It's up to each individual whether you want to waste your time trying to find a clean lobby but my success rate is quite high, there will sometimes be the occasional idiot that tries to knock me off track, but it can also be extremely funny watching them fail and DNF'ing themselves (happened 3 times in a row the other day).

14 hours ago, Jobling1983 said:

Everyone has these stories unfortunately. I got brake checked going into the last turn at Austria he was clearly trying to make sure he kept third. 

I managed to brake in time, guy behind me didn't and smashed into my rear wing, ruining his race. 

Of course none the wise I'm assuming it was him trying to get me kicked out of the session thinking I had done it to him. :classic_rolleyes:

20 hours ago, Jobling1983 said:

20 hours ago, Shark2Racing said:

Is that the way it is meant to be played ????

many skilled players doing it that way - but is that racing ??

due to this I ended my qualification laps in the pits just to qualify last …..

It should never work like this, but in the lower safety grades (B and below), this is my strategy, and it works. I will gladly sacrifice my skill rating to get out of the B grade because it’s a real gamble there. In Grade A and S, you can have a go at qualy and race as best you can and be OK. When I am a B grade my only goal is to get back up to S, since the racers are usually fairer, leave space and have better control of the car. Even A grade can be a bit of a gamble sometimes.

My main issue is, it’s way too easy to drop from a S back to A and B grade, particularly if someone hits you and then you smash someone else, track limits etc. The worst is on the straights, people can ram you from the side even if you leave plenty of room - the won’t get penalties and your race is ruined. Even though you don’t hit anyone else this still takes massive safety rating away from you. This has happened to me many times.

As a generally safe racer, my view is the higher grades should be way harder to achieve and you should be offered more protection when you get there. For example I had a 100% S rating, got hit, I hit someone else and I got a penalty. I lost a whopping 80% off my safety rating for that. The next race I got a few track limit warnings (I think 3 - eating up the other 20%), and I’m back down to an A. It then took 5 races to get back up. Mental.

Im putting together a post to suggest some improvements. Will post a link here once up.

Edited by Monzie83
  • Agree 1
On 6/28/2021 at 10:05 AM, Jobling1983 said:

i might just stick to 5 lap races as less time is wasted that way 🤣

I tend to find the 5 lap drivers are much more aggressive tbh. But I really struggle to find a 25% race 😔

9 minutes ago, Monzie83 said:

The worst is on the straights, people can ram you from the side even if you leave plenty of room - the won’t get penalties and your race is ruined.

This is really at the heart of it. That the game can't tell when someone has swung massively off the racing line and hit another car, or indeed hasn't braked for a corner / chicane and hit another car, is a serious problem. for all its issues, even Gran Turismo can correctly read these situations and dole out penalties accordingly, that it's years since that games release and F1 hasn't tightened this up is incredibly annoying. 

• Agree 2
On 6/29/2021 at 4:10 PM, Monzie83 said:

Im putting together a post to suggest some improvements. Will post a link here once up.

For those interested my proposed safety rating improvement post is up:

On 6/29/2021 at 5:21 PM, Monzie83 said:

I tend to find the 5 lap drivers are much more aggressive tbh. But I really struggle to find a 25% race 😔

Recently there are some races all the time on PC ….however since I stepped down to Safety Rating B

very often however there are drivers that never did a race before …. Very often ?? 

Very very very often ……..

I just hope they make it so you can report people so others can get a warning if there is a player with bad behaviour, the amount of people that intentionally push people and ram people of the track as soon as they get a bad start is insane.

I also don't like how there is a 5 lap races option for ranked, it removes so many aspects of what makes a good player. You don't have to worry about tyres, strategy, fuel or even care about keeping the car undamaged.

I can't even play ranked anymore, ever since I got safety rank S as silver 1, I find 1 good lobby maybe 2-3 times a week even when I search 5 lap ranked.

1 hour ago, Extinzion said:

I just hope they make it so you can report people so others can get a warning if there is a player with bad behaviour, the amount of people that intentionally push people and ram people of the track as soon as they get a bad start is insane.

I also don't like how there is a 5 lap races option for ranked, it removes so many aspects of what makes a good player. You don't have to worry about tyres, strategy, fuel or even care about keeping the car undamaged.

I can't even play ranked anymore, ever since I got safety rank S as silver 1, I find 1 good lobby maybe 2-3 times a week even when I search 5 lap ranked.

Go to B by purpose - not to difficult- just some Corner cutting races 

Then you will find - at least on PC 25 % lobbies all the time …..

For me the safety rating is not the issue - loosing status points after being shoot if the track is more of an issue 

I can live with being shoot or tamed but loosing skill points is terrible….

Posted (edited)

A good start for a better multiplayer would be to have a better kicking to start with admin controls. A system to get rid of these players in the game. Sure it would be bad in a way similar to the badmin's of battlefield 3 depending on the lobby. However it would be effective in weeding out the trouble makers who want to destroy the majority of people who just want to race regardless of position.   

Edited by Chromatic