Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[IMPROVEMENT] Snow & gravel roadside banks (and other objects)

GB mounds are still solid rock and instant death. Maybe with the snowbanks improvements for sweden, they will incorporate into other stages aswell, with different characteristics.

Ok I think I finally understood whats going on with this...

Roadside mounds have not changed in itself, its the V2 physics car who reacts in a different way with the mounds.

Yesterday I tried an F2, 80 RWB, 2010 and 2001 car on Wales and Greece and those cars behaves almost natural when touch a mound; its not that violent like the V1 cars.

Well, it looks like everything turns around car physics. Lets wait and we all will see how this ends.

In the other hand, I have the doubt about how the snow mounds will be simulated on "winter wonderland"

Let me show you this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxv8ObEo2qU

You will find this in the folowing game, jump between 1:42 - 1:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i135o2djHdY

m0LN4r said:
Let me show you this:

You will find this in the folowing game, jump between 1:42 - 1:50

Yeah, no doubt this features (and the ones I mentioned before) could be amazing; but we must put the feet on the ground... it takes a lot of work to reach that level of complexity. Codemasters need to focus their objetives, if not, Dirt Rally will become endless.

But hey, dreaming is for free! Just imagine the game in itself + some project cars GFX and weather + soft body damage from BeanNG Drive ... oh god.

i strong agree with this unnnatural ting that make your car fly in the sky  or stop your car on max attack :D:disappointed: 

wales also have a lot of these roadside bamks!!!!

@ FOR THOSE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT CHEATING.....

if someone can cut a corner, so evrybody can do it........... = no  cheating!!!!!! :D :D :D

To give some clarity on this situation. I - like you have never been happy with this and we were always hoping to have softer trackside edges in DiRT Rally. Unfortunately when we made our earlier tracks (Greece, Wales, Monte Carlo) we didn't have the opportunity to prototype these softer edges.

Sweden has been made from its prototype phase with this technology in mind and I hope that you will appreciate the feeling when it gets released.

If it proves successful there is a very very small chance we might be able to get this retrofitted into those earlier tracks but it will be considerably harder to do as the depth and density of the banks is much much less than the snow banks on Sweden.

Hopefully that explains where we are at with it.

We all will appreciate the new technology at Sweden. Sure.

this finally demonstrates Codemasters is aware of this and is working hard to develop something new. Even if it just will work in Sweden I think many people will be pleased.

...but, hey, a small chance is a change after all :) I hope the rest of trackside edges can be improved (even just a bit).

And yeah, this absolutly clarifies how is codemasters dealing with this and I appreciate it very much.

3 in a row. Tonight Im gonna sleep like a baby

KickUp said:

To give some clarity on this situation. I - like you have never been happy with this and we were always hoping to have softer trackside edges in DiRT Rally. Unfortunately when we made our earlier tracks (Greece, Wales, Monte Carlo) we didn't have the opportunity to prototype these softer edges.

Sweden has been made from its prototype phase with this technology in mind and I hope that you will appreciate the feeling when it gets released.

If it proves successful there is a very very small chance we might be able to get this retrofitted into those earlier tracks but it will be considerably harder to do as the depth and density of the banks is much much less than the snow banks on Sweden.

i really hope you can do this improvment to the older tracks  

KickUp said:

Are you talking in terms of topology being less on the older stages? I understand that it takes an immense amount of topology to get the deformation to look smooth and not abrupt and jagged like in SpinTires. WarThunder does seem to do it well though, I'm incredibly impressed by what those guys put out, I wonder how they manage it?  Maybe its a dynamic retopology, which would decrease the necessary amount of overall vertices and faces, thus saving immense computing power. Not sure how well that would work with physics in reality (I don't think it's much more than visual in WarThunder), or if your guys' Ego engine could implement such a thing.

please codies, put you effort in this things. it very important

if you don't will correct it, this will be the fist in the face of the game, that apart  is brilliant!

I really do hope you guys can fix the older tracks, with v2 (at least with the mk2) + Wales is just silly. It's like chucking a basketball down a narrow hallway. It's crazy seeing people on steam trying to argue the current behavior in game is realistic. :|

function9 said:
I really do hope you guys can fix the older tracks, with v2 (at least with the mk2) + Wales is just silly. It's like chucking a basketball down a narrow hallway. It's crazy seeing people on steam trying to argue the current behavior in game is realistic. :|
hahaha realistic. 

Realistic behavior can be seen in the videos I put on first page.

What we have now is just one of the few solutions that can be done with EGO engine. Not the best, not the worst (at least there are no invisible barriers on tracklimits)
It brings a challenging experience (you must stay on track) since you cannot touch the mounds, wich is cool, but theres not room for even a slight error wich is not cool at all.

@Kickup said they have a whole new prototype/technology for road edges for Sweden update.
Once we have the opportunity to test it we will be able to see how different is the behavior.

... Whatever happens I´ll continue begging to have softer roadside edges. I dont mind if theres no great visuals or FX... but "concrete" effect must dissapear.

I take this opportunity to curse all bushes (+50 resistance + 45 armor  + 90 defense) and all those cell phones/walkie signs dark matter made and magnetized with the cars plate xD
No, seriuosly, Mr Coleman told somewhere (a Roadbook I think) those will be reworked. I hope he does not change his mind :)

OzoreXS said:
function9 said:
hahaha realistic. 

Realistic behavior can be seen in the videos I put on first page.

What we have now is just one of the few solutions that can be done with EGO engine. Not the best, not the worst (at least there are no invisible barriers on tracklimits)
It brings a challenging experience (you must stay on track) since you cannot touch the mounds, wich is cool, but theres not room for even a slight error wich is not cool at all.

@Kickup said they have a whole new prototype/technology for road edges for Sweden update.
Once we have the opportunity to test it we will be able to see how different is the behavior.

... Whatever happens I´ll continue begging to have softer roadside edges. I dont mind if theres no great visuals or FX... but "concrete" effect must dissapear.

I take this opportunity to curse all bushes (+50 resistance + 45 armor  + 90 defense) and all those cell phones/walkie signs dark matter made and magnetized with the cars plate xD
No, seriuosly, Mr Coleman told somewhere (a Roadbook I think) those will be reworked. I hope he does not change his mind :)
i'm your first fan in this battle :D :D :D

OzoreXS said:

The livestream they just did they said the bushes are reworked, and will be shipping with WW. I think it was thread, but Kickup said the softer banks may not be doable on the other stages since they weren't designed for it.

i came to the conclusion that theproblem of the roadside banks is mostly the WRONG CAR WEIGHT.

you remember how was subaru1995 before modern masters??  sublime!!!!

now we have a subaru hatchback with 1350kg  that floats like a boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   and  SAT is less because of the reduced weight!!!

it's a shame as it is now!!!!

I was going to post a thread on this but didn't have time to record/find proper examples.

I completely agree with this poll, I am sick of running into a small flag, which should just crumble with the impact of my car, then getting thrown to the side of the road into another over exaggerated bank on the side of the road to then find myself barrel rolling into a group of trees.

In mid-air thinking that fucking sign. 

@Ohin 
Flags and signal were fixed with 0.9, just like the bushes (at least bushes...)

@teknoid85
SAT has nothing to do with the weight of the car; its the FFB in itself. V2 cars have a lower effects than V1 cars. Have in consideration, in order to raise your overal driver force.

And have a look into de "V2 physics discussion" ... you will find interesting stuff and oponions :)

Ohin said:
I was going to post a thread on this but didn't have time to record/find proper examples.

I completely agree with this poll, I am sick of running into a small flag, which should just crumble with the impact of my car, then getting thrown to the side of the road into another over exaggerated bank on the side of the road to then find myself barrel rolling into a group of trees.

In mid-air thinking that fucking sign. 
also the weight has to to with these things

if you drive a subaru1995 before  modern masters the car don't fly around much as v2 cars do

OzoreXS said:
@Ohin 
Flags and signal were fixed with 0.9, just like the bushes (at least bushes...)

@teknoid85
SAT has nothing to do with the weight of the car; its the FFB in itself. V2 cars have a lower effects than V1 cars. Have in consideration, in order to raise your overal driver force.

And have a look into de "V2 physics discussion" ... you will find interesting stuff and oponions :)

for SAT ok,  but read what i've quoted ohin, this has to do with this thread also ;)

Good news.

@KickUp confirmed they will change snow banks for Montecarlo.

It seems like they can share some of the new technology of Sweeden there in Monte.

Snow in Monte will no longer be lravine´s launch pads
:)

OzoreXS said:
Good news.

@KickUp confirmed they will change snow banks for Montecarlo.

It seems like they can share some of the new technology of Sweeden there in Monte.

Snow in Monte will no longer be lravine´s launch pads
:)
i really hope he can to it at all stages :)

It's a shame that the verge and collision physics are so buggy. 

Really, really needs fixing. A small pile at the side of the road, vs 1 tonne of rally car travelling at 100mph, does not result in said rally car being flung through the air. Even if the pile didn't completely disintegrate, a WRC car has 300mm of suspension travel, easily enough to soak that up.

http://youtu.be/9aDZ7lSqJYk