Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[IMPROVEMENT] Snow & gravel roadside banks (and other objects)

LOL @McGherkin every crash in that video was almost 100% legit...this are rocks, woods and other solid objects. I'm not sure if you've ever driven a car or better had an accident with...

C'mon. When's the last time you've seen a car nudge a 20cm high pile of gravel and get catapulted into the air?!

And yet if you slide into a 1 metre high bank you scoot right up it like it's nothing. 

Go have a crack at something like RBR. Touch a bank in that and realise the difference between realistic and hilariously buggy.

It's funny how you're taking RBR as a measurement point like it's a real life when TBH RBR was still far, far from being close to reality. I'm not saying that D:R is simulation, it can't be cause you'd need a PC size of your room or even bigger.

Personally I think that you want the car to fly over anything. Really, look at the video again and put your attention how you're always hitting something.
It's either a bigger rock, wood pile, a totally plowed field or earth wall. And you're going 120-140 Km/h. Go on highway, lay a wood pile there and hit it with your car. Then comeback and upload photos of your car.

Codemasters are aware of this, they just didn't have the time to work through a proper crash physics model.  They were concentrating heavily on the tire model to get it right, which they are very very close.  The damage model is inherited from previous DiRT titles.  This will probably be looked at closer in the next game.

Also if you play Sweden with the new tech there, you can see that they are working towards softening the shoulders.  BUT look at the speed you are traveling.  I think at times we are unaware of just how fast we are going, as best as they try to clue us in visually, if we would drive at these speeds in RL we may find ourselves dead or completely totaled our cars.  So some forgiveness is allowed in the game.

I'm sure @kickup had quite a long list of things that where not able to make it in.  Remember they had a small team with a relatively small budget.  

I personally don't see this as a game-beaker (pardon the pun).  Just make tidier runs.  

Dirt Rally as it is now, is a racing title. You drive between the lines, you´ll be OK and everything will go fine.

Strange behavior comes when you have an accident, but at that point I think its not important if accident is perfectly simulated. Its an accident, better simulated or not you are fucked up.

Take DR as it is, with its limitations, and drive, coz is for what it was designed and it is indeed a very enjoyable title. 

If crashing is something more important for you, maybe you should look after other titles like "Wreckfest" or "BeamNGdrive".

Yeas, I would love Dirt Rally has better damage system, better terrain simulation, better tyre model ...and better everything. But now thats just technically/budget/time/resources unviable.

As I said, enjoy this IMPERFECT MASTERPIECE :)

Of course it's not a crash simulator. However, nudging a tiny mound of dirt, a small rock or even a tiny bit of absolutely nothing (see the focus crash where it rides up the bank half realistically then as it's coming off at low speed hits an invisible nothing causing it to flip almost end to end), whilst needing some corrective action and possibly causing some damage, isn't going to cause the car to do what it does in D:R. It means that some things which you'd get away with IRL cause a total loss ingame. Take the gravel verges. Drive a car slowly along it, straddling it. IRL that gravel is just going to get ploughed flat across the top. In D:R it makes your car actually jump. Lol.

Of course RBR isn't perfect either. Nobody's claiming that it is. But it IS better than D:R at simulating some things.

It's often said that it's very make a sim that works really well when everything's right, but the true sign of a good sim is that it's still accurate when something goes wrong.

Of course when you're focusing on other things as a priority then things like this are going to be left out but that doesn't mean it's right, and that it shouldn't be revisited later on.

McGherkin said:
Of course it's not a crash simulator. However, nudging a tiny mound of dirt, a small rock or even a tiny bit of absolutely nothing (see the focus crash where it rides up the bank half realistically then as it's coming off at low speed hits an invisible nothing causing it to flip almost end to end), whilst needing some corrective action and possibly causing some damage, isn't going to cause the car to do what it does in D:R. It means that some things which you'd get away with IRL cause a total loss ingame. Take the gravel verges. Drive a car slowly along it, straddling it. IRL that gravel is just going to get ploughed flat across the top. In D:R it makes your car actually jump. Lol.

Of course RBR isn't perfect either. Nobody's claiming that it is. But it IS better than D:R at simulating some things.

It's often said that it's very make a sim that works really well when everything's right, but the true sign of a good sim is that it's still accurate when something goes wrong.

Of course when you're focusing on other things as a priority then things like this are going to be left out but that doesn't mean it's right, and that it shouldn't be revisited later on.
I do agree there are problems and I see your point.  But like I said they are working towards fixing it (Sweden), but we'll probably have to wait till DR2

What's frustrating is they didn't seem to have a problem doing it for rallycross. Slam or bump into a wall or barrier and the car behaves properly. There's no need for terrain deformation or anything fancy, cars just need to absorb some of the impact.