Jump to content Jump to content

Strange AI behaviour F1 2020

FTBuzzard

They've coded the AI for 2020 to perform more Daniel Ricciardo-style "switcheroo" moves, to feint right and then dart left to overtake. Problem is, it's sort of been chucked in with no real foresight to the situations that the cars perform this move in. You end up with scripted moments where a car will do this on big straights, but if they're in a slipstream (admittedly, this is precisely when the move should be completed), they won't have the downforce or grip to complete the move and end up just spinning out. This, for me, happens more often than the car succesfully completing the move.

In this case, the game makes 2 cars to do this at precisely the same moment because the first car is trying to overtake a Ferrari, and in turn is in place to be overtaken by the car behind. All at the same time with a lack of downforce due to the slipstream and using a move that really only Daniel Ricciardo does frequently.

I'm hoping they tone this move right down for 2021.

I find this only really happens after using a flashback at Hungary off the start, never seen it without one being used. 

The only track I see it happen at without flashbacks is Vietnam if they make a move as they're going through the slight right on the straight.

I've mainly seen this on long straights with walls. Vietnam and Baku when they're on the long straights and they move to one direction to pass and then a defensive move causes them to erratically swing from one side to the other in the lack of downforce.  I've not seen it at China which has a long straight so not sure if the walls are required? 

I did have Alesi in F2 car going wide at Netherlands by doing this at the end of the straight and heading off into the gravel but put that down as a normal AI mistake. 

Getting two drivers to do it off the start is unexpected though. Doesn't seem like collision avoidance for your rejoining of the track, so I assume simultaneous failed overtakes in low downforce? 

On 6/18/2021 at 12:01 PM, Wynterdust said:

I find this only really happens after using a flashback at Hungary off the start, never seen it without one being used. 

The only track I see it happen at without flashbacks is Vietnam if they make a move as they're going through the slight right on the straight.

There was no flashback off the start.

It looks more as if the drivers are passing something, first a small turn to the right, then pulling hard to the left, causing Gasly and Ricciardo to spin, but i wonder why is Vettel sinning as well?
There was no collision at all.

2 hours ago, FTBuzzard said:

There was no flashback off the start.

It looks more as if the drivers are passing something, first a small turn to the right, then pulling hard to the left, causing Gasly and Ricciardo to spin, but i wonder why is Vettel sinning as well?
There was no collision at all.

Did you use flashback to redo the first turn?

This strange AI behavior where multiple cars suddenly swinging left and right violently pretty much only happens right at the moment you release the flashback, but only about once in a few flashbacks. It can happen on any tracks, but I've only seen they do this on the straight. 

About the switcheroo move someone mentioned in this thread, that is caused by different circumstances. Usually just AI trying to make their move on one side but then the lead car close the cap and forced the car behind to switch side at the very last moment, it usually happens on long straight where the straight is not really a straight, Vietnam is one great example. 

Archived