Jump to content Jump to content

Real Season Start - Career or Season?

So initially on announcement of the Real Season Start feature I'd been under the impression this is an alternative championship mode, allowing you to jump in as your chosen driver and finish the season off with the points totals set from whatever race it is you choose. 

However something from a Youtube video has thrown me off, Alex Gillon's 29 Questions, where he states that Codemasters have confirmed this is actually a full career mode from the moment you join the season. 

That seems at odds with how everything else is set up, is this true? For example, I could pick Verstappen and then play a full 10 year career as him? Or any other driver, in a way that I just simply can not if starting a full career mode from scratch. 

Seems bizarre to me to be opening essentially a backdoor into letting you play a career as a licensed driver when you're not able to do this otherwise. 

Or is it just a season after all?

Video for reference: 3:38 time for this answer. 

"Codemasters came back to me and said it plays out like a normal career mode after you start the season, so it isn't just a season, it's a full career mode"

Edited by KNT2011

I haven't watched his video so can't fully confirm an answer. I'll probably watch it later and update an answer. 

I can only assume it was a miscommunication or misunderstanding.  The general point is that you can't do a career as one of the official drivers so I would be surprised if you suddenly can.

It obviously wouldn't work in MyTeam as you can't have a real season start including a team that doesn't exist. So it could only be normal career mode. Then it wouldn't make sense for it to flow over to the next season as you can't have a real season start for a season that doesn't exist with drivers still at their primary team or new team. They can't guess where they'll be next year, let alone in 9 years. 

Unless there's a new gameplay model where you can play as a licensed driver?   It would be completely at odds with having a customisable MyDriver though.  I wouldn't be against a MyTeam where you could have two official drivers and you could play as either one of them but they've not even looked remotely like going in that direction.

My initial assumption is that it would be a full season from the moment you jump in. Not a full career. Surely, like you said, an alternative Championships mode.  

I noted this in Alex's video too. On the face of it I don't see a strong reason to doubt what he said, as it's a new aspect to the game that may well work this way. Time will tell...

2 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I can only assume it was a miscommunication or misunderstanding.  The general point is that you can't do a career as one of the official drivers so I would be surprised if you suddenly can.

2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

On the face of it I don't see a strong reason to doubt what he said, as it's a new aspect to the game that may well work this way. Time will tell...

Yeah I'm kinda going with the above being right, a Codies employee has meant to say oh no it's a normal season once you start but has said career instead and caused some confusion. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense in the game as it's designed. 

Happy to be wrong though, the chance to do a career with a licensed driver would be a big plus for players. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, peanutt2000 said:

Just hope that when you start a season from scratch on real season it incorporates the real season performance of that race.

That won't happen. Alex confirms in that video that the races will be played out like a normal race in the game. 

There won't be any scripts or coding forcing retirements or a way to get the real life results from the point you start at.