Jump to content Jump to content

why isnt there a Palestinian flag in the game?

For Codies to put this in it would need to be okayed by Formula One who I imagine would not want the political backlash or controversy were they to do something like this. 

I feel you man but that's really as simple as it is. 

You could race under the world flag or just any other flag you enjoy or have any affinity to. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2
41 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

For Codies to put this in it would need to be okayed by Formula One who I imagine would not want the political backlash or controversy were they to do something like this. 

I feel you man but that's really as simple as it is. 

You could race under the world flag or just any other flag you enjoy or have any affinity to. 

Why would there be political backlash from putting a flag in the game, absolute rubbish.

husman should be able to race under his flag like anybody else.

2 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

Why would there be political backlash from putting a flag in the game, absolute rubbish.

Okay mate. I don't even disagree, it is what it is. 

Just pointing out it's not a CM issue or with the video game, it's one for FOM. 

1 hour ago, husamljlkjlkj said:

I really don't get putting a flag would be a controversy
its a country no? people are born there and they have an ID where it says Palestine no?
where is the controversy?

#WERACEASONE

Its  not recognized as a state by the US or UK governments and most of Europe. So that probably has something to do with it. But I agree add the flag. 

• Agree 1
11 hours ago, Jobling1983 said:

Yes, you're correct that anyone should be able to race under the flag of their choice. I'll get that in before anything else.

However, regarding the political backlash part, a flag is not 'just a flag'. A flag is a symbol of political identity and to include it would recognise the autonomy of the state. A state that the US and UK, and other countries, do not recognise as member status. 

Such controversial matters are far beyond the remit of inciting discussion than a company like Codemasters can reasonably be expected to be able to account for. They've included non-country flags to circumvent this but without stepping into muddy waters, there isn't much they can do as it's beyond their scope of permissions. 

• Agree 2

I see it this way, either all countries flags are included or have none at all.  

Personally, nationalism, especially concerning flags,  is 100% BS and causes nothing but problems.  

Folks is folks all over the world, governments are the problems, get rid of the flags, get rid of the borders, let people live where and how they want.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, jpr3324 said:

I see it this way, either all countries flags are included or have none at all.  

Personally, nationalism, especially concerning flags,  is 100% BS and causes nothing but problems.  

Folks is folks all over the world, governments are the problems, get rid of the flags, get rid of the borders, let people live where and how they want.

Well, that is kinda the point.. They don't see it as a country.  If it was seen as a country by international diplomacy then CM would have the green light to include it and there'd be no need for this discussion.   

Whether you're in the right or not, and I imagine there'll be alot of people that agree with you as it has been a political issue for a very long time and was even thrust into the international news spotlight a few weeks ago, they can't include it until it does become recognised as a country. 

Regarding the part in italics, this really isn't the place to discuss semantics of migration, residency laws and personal opinions as that just turns into a massive flame war of controversial opinions. Therefore, I don't feel comfortable becoming the catalyst for that avenue of discussion. 

4 minutes ago, jpr3324 said:

Just because some think the sky is not blue, does not mean it is not blue, nor is it factually correct to claim the sky is not blue.  

Well, that's a terrible argument if you're trying to get the flag included. I know what you're trying to say but it could easily be construed as saying "just because people think Palestine is a country, doesn't make it a country, nor is it factually correct to claim that it is a country".  That's the exact problem they have. They think they're a country, the US and Israel and others... don't. 

I could create a country called BigBumLand and according to your principle, i'd be entitled to have my flag of a big hairy backside in the game just because I think it is a country.  Now, obviously, you'll have to stick to your original argument and say that i'm perfectly entitled to it, even though the general idea of a place called BigBumLand is preposterous. 

Yes, that is a hyperbolic example but that's the point of saying that the whole basis for your argument is flawed.   I mean, I agree with your general principle that it SHOULD be there. I just understand why it isn't. 

10 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

Is Palestine the only country whose flag is not in the game?

If Palestine IS a country!  Depends whom you're asking!

In response to the question, I would very much doubt it. I remember someone a year or two saying the Puerto Rico one wasn't in there and somebody once said something about Egypt, Algeria and Morocco meaning Northern Africa wasn't well represented. 

I believe there are 90 flags (or around that figure) so I imagine alot of other countries have similar gripes of non-inclusion.  Maybe it only has flags from areas that have had a driver before, or have a high percentile of people playing the game.

Must be annoying especially since they have all the British ones divided (Britain, England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland). And the world flag. 

30 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

Is Palestine the only country whose flag is not in the game?

I believe Taiwan is not in the game (as well as in Gran Turismo Sport) if I remember correctly. 

Conclusion to this thread: Politics are BS and there's not much we or CM can do unless we wanted to get ourselves to be burn at the stake.

Just to put this into correct perspective, assuming that roughly 90 flags in the game is correct: There are 195 countries in the world today, 193 of them are member states of the united nations, whereas 2 countries are non-member states and have a status as "observers": the Holy See and the State of Palestine.

I sincerely hope this answers the question one or the other way: either it is just one of about 100 flags which are not in the game, or it is a flag of 1 of 2 countries that are non-member states of the United Nations.

If it does not answer the question, go listen to the song below, and cherish its lyrics ("imagine there s no countries, it isnt hard to do..."), some people do since the 70ies:

• Agree 1
8 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I believe there are 90 flags (or around that figure) so I imagine alot of other countries have similar gripes of non-inclusion.  Maybe it only has flags from areas that have had a driver before, or have a high percentile of people playing the game.

There is a flag of North Korea in the game. I highly doubt that formula 1 or even online games are a big deal in North Korea.

I’m not trying to say it’s right or wrong but the reason the Palestinian flag isn’t and won’t be in the game anytime soon because the UK, US, and most of the EU do not recognize Palestine as a country.

48 minutes ago, mwynn05 said:

I’m not trying to say it’s right or wrong but the reason the Palestinian flag isn’t and won’t be in the game anytime soon because the UK, US, and most of the EU do not recognize Palestine as a country.

I think this is a topic that does not belong here in a forum where it is about motorsport games.

There is no right or wrong with this topic.

12 minutes ago, mwynn05 said:

He’s asking why the flag isn’t in the game. I am answering the question 

Except you’re not. 

Only a member of the Codemasters team can answer the question. Any other theories anyone else has as to why the flag isn’t in the game are pure speculation.

@BarryBL

• Agree 2

Maybe to avoid it being a political issue focusing on just Palestine, it would be beneficial to focus the question on all the other countries as well that don't have representation too. There seems to be a lot of countries that don't have their flags in the game and i'm sure they'd also want their flag involved. 

In a separate query, in a (probably futile) effort to deviate it from whether it is or isn't a country... can you actually get a Palestinian racing licence?   For example, some drivers race under different countries licences for various reasons. If you cannot get a Palestinian racing licence then you'd have to drive while representing another nation, like Mahaveer under the Dutch one and other drivers presumably have to do the same.  If you CAN get one, then consider this an irrelevant question but may be a reason only certain flags are included. 

I know that's not the point as it is supposed to represent you, and it is what you identify as and that should be something you can express. However, if you couldn't race as it in reality then maybe it is less of a sore point? Maybe. It's just people say they want the game to be reflective of a real-life scenario (in particular the incessant discussion on tracks should represent the current season) and that should feasibly occur regarding this topic if they don't provide racing licences. You can't really pick and choose the aspects of the real-life world you want representing just because it is inconvenient when one works against you.  

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, DJNicks87 said:

Except you’re not. 

Only a member of the Codemasters team can answer the question. Any other theories anyone else has as to why the flag isn’t in the game are pure speculation.

@BarryBL

What a stupid post. It’s a message board. When people ask questions you answer them quit whining because you disagree with my answer because of politics because my answer has nothing to do with politics. Because personally (I am an American for context) I believe Palestine should be recognized so I am by no means trying to be disrespectful to Palestine or Palestinians by saying the flag isn’t in the game because the nation isn’t recognized.

Edited by mwynn05