Jump to content Jump to content

Will there be Realistic track limits in F1 2021 as a setting

SomaticCoast375

We have normal track limits which is too easy to corner cut and extend with but with Strict it’s always to the white line which as we in see in real life F1 is that you can sometimes go past the white line. So there should be a additional setting called Realistic so it’s mirrors what they do in real life

• SomaticCoast375 changed the title to Will there be Realistic track limits in F1 2021 as a setting

It would be incredibly odd to add an additional setting, I would assume Codie's considers 'strict' to be the realistic setting it just hasn't been balanced in years and I've not heard anything about it happening for this version. 

The whole section does need to be reworked I agree, maybe add this to the suggestions forum? 

7 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

The whole section does need to be reworked I agree

Indeed this is overdue and no, I dont think Codemasters have a chance changing this, due to the way the track / AI interaction in this game works. We had the very same answer asking if the curbs could be reworked / updated and they just can not do this without reworking the whole track and everything that has been buildt "upon", seemingly. Bummer, because if you are into realism, the current strict track limits are way off where they should be.

11 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

It would be incredibly odd to add an additional setting, I would assume Codie's considers 'strict' to be the realistic setting it just hasn't been balanced in years and I've not heard anything about it happening for this version. 

The whole section does need to be reworked I agree, maybe add this to the suggestions forum? 

Why would it be odd? It really needs another setting as the OP says. In game strict is way too strict, and normal is way too lenient. A “realistic” setting is very much needed so would not be odd at all to me.

8 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Why would it be odd? It really needs another setting as the OP says. In game strict is way too strict, and normal is way too lenient. A “realistic” setting is very much needed so would not be odd at all to me.

The current settings need to be balanced properly. Adding a new one is just an admission that the current ones aren't accurate, which I can't see CM doing. 

Matching real F1 is always going to be tricky given the rules change pretty much every time a track is raced. I think the current limits amount to always needing part of at least one wheel inside the white line? If it is something like this then at least it's consistent and can be worked to. For anything else it would be really helpful to have some sort of picture showing what all the track limits actually are.

If Codemasters can implement official sporting regulation changes into the games, such as removal of weight balance for setups, removed the ability to choose tyre allocations, etc...

The least we can and should expect is also to have the new and official wording and definition for track limits to be implemented to the game.

That means you can push to the limit and use the full track to the edge of the kerb and not the white line, which is outdated, too strict and doesn't allow drivers to actually go to the limit of the circuit. It becomes more about keeping between the white lines than actually going fast. Track limits will still be penalised and enforced with the edge of the kerb like we see in real F1 at every circuit. As long as one tyre is still on the kerb, it should be a valid laptime.

But the issue here could be that we still have track versions in the games which are 5+ years old with kerbs that never even got updated since 2015. Screams laziness to me or simply too much focus on solo player features and things which casual players will never notice or mention (because they play on regular settings anyways). For league racing and competitive gameplay this is crucial.

1 hour ago, GestirnZinker97 said:

not the white line, which is outdated

Have to agree on this one, yes.

However, one has to admit that (normally) you get several warnings before you receive a penalty, during a race at least. In qualifying it can be harsh with strict track limits, then again this is when taking a shortcut matters the most.

There are situations in F1 2020 when it gets really dumb though, like if you loose things on a wet track, an you lost a lot of time running wide anyway, only to get the penatly on top of things. During my last livestream I had 2 very early track limit warnings in Mexico, and boy was it hard to avoid the 3rd one, when half of the race was driven on a wet track 😄 tell ya, I was more proud having avoided that penalty, than having scored the championship points...

On 7/3/2021 at 6:31 AM, SomaticCoast375 said:

We have normal track limits which is too easy to corner cut and extend with but with Strict it’s always to the white line which as we in see in real life F1 is that you can sometimes go past the white line. So there should be a additional setting called Realistic so it’s mirrors what they do in real life

It would be really funny to see if CM went all out and replicates FOM/FIA's inconsistent rules regarding track limits and other controversial stuff LOLZ

1 hour ago, DRTApophis said:

It would be really funny to see if CM went all out and replicates FOM/FIA's inconsistent rules regarding track limits and other controversial stuff LOLZ

Me: *breathes*

FIA: 5 SECOND PENALTY FOR YOU ☹️

10 hours ago, GestirnZinker97 said:

If Codemasters can implement official sporting regulation changes into the games, such as removal of weight balance for setups, removed the ability to choose tyre allocations, etc...

The least we can and should expect is also to have the new and official wording and definition for track limits to be implemented to the game.

That means you can push to the limit and use the full track to the edge of the kerb and not the white line, which is outdated, too strict and doesn't allow drivers to actually go to the limit of the circuit. It becomes more about keeping between the white lines than actually going fast. Track limits will still be penalised and enforced with the edge of the kerb like we see in real F1 at every circuit. As long as one tyre is still on the kerb, it should be a valid laptime.

But the issue here could be that we still have track versions in the games which are 5+ years old with kerbs that never even got updated since 2015. Screams laziness to me or simply too much focus on solo player features and things which casual players will never notice or mention (because they play on regular settings anyways). For league racing and competitive gameplay this is crucial.

"That means you can push to the limit and use the full track to the edge of the kerb and not the white line"

This is incorrect. The white line IS the track limit in F1.  Using the outside edge of the curb/kerb as a tracklimit is an EXCEPTION to the rule, for example,  the final corner at Austria where the green runoff was the tracklimit,  or using the Italian flag colored runoff as a tracklimit at Imola in a corner, and this can be changed during a race week if need be. (it happened this year at one of the corners at Paul Ricard). So It's quite ambiguous and probably difficult to implement in a videogame that doesn't have 3 human stewards watching every race. 

Also, F1 often makes aburpt changes to the track before a race weekend. They changed the kerbs/curbs and gravel at T6 or T7 a week before the race in Austria, and they removed the curb in the castle section at Azerbaijan and the drivers/teams didn't find out until they showed up in Baku. So its probably difficult for codemasters to develop a game a year in advance that actually incorporates these random changes. 

Ive seen plenty of people that can do a 50% race on strict with zero penalties, and they are usually the guys that can get pole on mediums with a 110 AI equivalent laptime, so they aren't slowly driving within the white lines like you suggest. Usually, if you are on the limit, letting off the throttle a little is enough to get some extra rotation and avoid the warning/penalty, so there is a reaction time skill involved that most of us are bad at, but the really good players can do it. 

My issue with strict is that it encourages the wide "e-sports' racing line. Go into T1 in Spain with a left wheel in the grass, and it makes the angle to cut the "strict" curb much easier because you can keep a rear wheel inside the line at the apex. This can be fixed by making the car more unstable beyond the white line regardless of the whether the sausage curb looks slightly different that the new curb in real life. 

Track limits is one of the most ambigious and contentious rules in F1, The "strict" system is too harsh (I get most of my 3 second penalties for cutting a corner under caution while trying to adjust fuel mixture, checking the leaderboard, changing tire strategy, etc.) but this is a videogame and easing track limits would probably benefit hackers on PC time trials more than the average player competing against say 80 AI or whatever. 

Hamilton cut a tracklimit at Bahrain (in T6?) like 20 laps in a row before his engineer said something after getting a warning from Massi,

Not sure we want that kind of ambiguity in a videogame. 

Archived