Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You can't load a setup for your race. Confirmed for XBOX1 and PC

This has to be the most embarrassing bug in the game, also up there as one of the most embarrassing bugs in the history of game development. Be amazed by this video by the excellent TRLlimitless:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdPpy-xYnKY
I confirmed that for PC, if you load a setup for your race, it doesn't actually load your setup. I loaded my monaco setup (11-11 wings, all downforce), and my Monza setup, it makes no difference. If I do the same thing in time trials, there is a 2-3 second difference per lap. It's not very surprising, since there is a 20km/h difference in top speed on the start/finish-straight.
So there is this guy at codemasters, who has worked for about a year, to get the setups done, carefully trying to make all the elements you can set up work a certain way, doing research on stuff like differential, wings, etc., trying to find the perfect balance for the game. And then in the final product, it doesn't work, it works well in time trial, but the entire process of making the setup-system was essentially a complete waste of time, since you cannot load a setup for the race itself, offline or online. All credit goes to TRLlimitless.

May explain why I struggle at Monaco lol.
This shouldn't of slipped through if its true. 

Not saying this explains it but don't forget the car is heavy with fuel in the race. Surely you could tell by the handling between monza and Monaco if your setup hadn't been loaded? 

Was thinking that :). Only way would be to see are set ups on the grid like you do in the garage. I think this does happen just not all the time as sometimes the car just feels different at start. But yea maybe fuel. I just don't know. :(

Matt1981 said:
Not saying this explains it but don't forget the car is heavy with fuel in the race. Surely you could tell by the handling between monza and Monaco if your setup hadn't been loaded? 
That's kinda silly. JD/TRLlimitless is one of the best drivers out there, he is very consistent. I tested this, by simply doing a race, letting everyone past, and checking top speed on the china straight after parking it on the same spot. There is no doubt about this, this is one of the dumbest bugs in video game history.

This is an unfortunate bug. Really had hopes for this game this year.

Morning all, we have reproduced this internally and are working on a fix for it. Thank you for the post and video.

Is it happening also in career mode or just for single races?
We need to start the race in the garage, as it was in previous years, so we can see the setup and change the wings in case of weather change from qualifying,

Alon78 said:
We need to start the race in the garage, as it was in previous years, so we can see the setup and change the wings in case of weather change from qualifying,
Absolutely agree with this. Good suggestion.

Is anybody still going to play while its like this. Having extra wing at spa is a real kick in the teeth. This is a proper f@@k up. There must be a work around.

How do all the people feel about the set ups they have shared on u tube, plus all the replies saying wow that set up is amazing. You've been bombing about with default set up. Makes me chuckle a bit but also cm have kinda mugged us of a bit to.

Can I just clarify if this is only when loading a setup at race start?
If you load/enter a setup in qualifying and parc ferme is on does that carry over to the race, or does it revert back to the default setup? As far as I can tell setups definitely work in qualifying because I have significantly more straight line speed in qualifying with 1-1 versus 11-11 wings.

Ok, I did a little experiment at Silverstone to see if there is something to this, so in Practice-1 in Championship mode, I took default setup #3 from the menu and saved it as SILV-1, then checked that both DEF #3 & SILV-1 were both identical setups. I then loaded up SILV-1 and went out on a fresh set of Primes.

I did one out lap, 3 flying laps and pitted on the 4th. During these laps, I experienced varying degrees of under steer and accelerating out of turn 4 toward turn 5 was very bad on traction and difficult to hang on to my back end. Accelerating out turn 7 (Luffield) was almost as bad, as was coming out of turn 17.

After pitting, I loaded up DEF #3 and noted 4% wear on my primes. I left them on purposely to see if this made any difference as well. I then did the same number of laps as the first time 

My under steer was gone and my traction was back and every lap was between 1.00 and 1.50 seconds faster than my best flying lap with SILV-1 set up.

Supposedly identical setups???    

hobbsy777 said:
Ok, I did a little experiment at Silverstone to see if there is something to this, so in Practice-1 in Championship mode, I took default setup #3 from the menu and saved it as SILV-1, then checked that both DEF #3 & SILV-1 were both identical setups. I then loaded up SILV-1 and went out on a fresh set of Primes.

I did one out lap, 3 flying laps and pitted on the 4th. During these laps, I experienced varying degrees of under steer and accelerating out of turn 4 toward turn 5 was very bad on traction and difficult to hang on to my back end. Accelerating out turn 7 (Luffield) was almost as bad, as was coming out of turn 17.

After pitting, I loaded up DEF #3 and noted 4% wear on my primes. I left them on purposely to see if this made any difference as well. I then did the same number of laps as the first time 

My under steer was gone and my traction was back and every lap was between 1.00 and 1.50 seconds faster than my best flying lap with SILV-1 set up.

Did you restart session after first stint? So you have same condition on track. Because track condition change during session.

hobbsy777 said:

Did you restart session after first stint? So you have same condition on track. Because track condition change during session.

No, if you do that in Champ mode, which is locked to dynamic weather, you are likely to get totally different weather, even rain. I was only minutes in the pits and out again between runs.

Ok, i notice that the track condition change often, so It's very difficult to feel if the setup is better, or the grip on the track!, thats for me a big problem to find a good setup

hobbsy777 said:

Only happens in race. Practice and quals seem ok. 

I did a test last night. 
Champmod australia marussia first practice. 
I save 3 Setups. Always choose default setup as basic setup. Only change wings. 
Setup 1: wings 1/1
Setup 2:wings 6/6 default 
Setup 3:wings 11/11
Now i check top speed of each setup by full fuel(to simulated race at start) and without DRS. 
Setup 1: 307kmh 
Setup 2: 299kmh
Setup 3: 287kmh 
Now i start qualifying with parc ferme rules on.
I choose setup 1 that is be locked after qualifying for the race. 
I went to race and let all pass so i can check my top speed after first lap.
My top speed was the same like in practice 307kmh! So it loaded the right setup.
I tested this 3 times with the other setups and all was fine.
I check this by leaving session, closing game.restart my PC restart game and go to champmod were i start the race and the setup was the right one too! 
So It's a good Sign that the setups load correctly in the race.
Sorry for the english..

Maybe its spa then. Cm says they managed to  copy the problem so is there. But agree not on all tracks. I've played enough to know the car is acting differently on some tracks. I find acts different when I load game after saving after quals. Also may explain a car passing you when you have drs open and they haven't.