Jump to content Jump to content

New Player Asking for Tips

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, I'm well aware 21 is just around the corner but I noticed '20 is very so I decided to pick it up on Steam for PC (will be playing with controller). I just have some beginner questions as I'm reasonably new to F1 (started following it last season). I would appreciate some advice/help on the following things.

1. What difficulty should I start on?

2.  Should I jump into myteam mode straightaway or is there something else I should do first to get controls and gameplay down?  192.168.1.254

3. My understanding and confidence isn't the highest in things like selecting tyres/strategy for qualifying and race, on the fly adjustments like fuel mix/brake bias/diff/. What do I do about these and race setups in general? Are the default recommended ones viable?

4. Traction control/ABS? I've heard you can turn them off but I would prefer to have ABS off to keep it realistic  10.0.0.0.1

Thanks

Edited by GlanePito

For setups, Real Sport produces some great ones to use as starting points and explains the decisions on each section giving it a good learning experience as well. 

Here's their collection of 2020 setups

https://realsport101.com/f1/f1-2020-release-date-gameplay-graphics-historic-content-career-mode-rd-setups/

The more confident you can get and based on how you feel when driving, or the specific needs of the car you're using, you can adjust as you like but overall they should do you pretty well until you get comfortable in the other areas of the game. 

I tend to start a new. game with their setup and then make adjustments to my own style as needed. 

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GlanePito said:

Hey guys, I'm well aware 21 is just around the corner but I noticed '20 is very so I decided to pick it up on Steam for PC (will be playing with controller). I just have some beginner questions as I'm reasonably new to F1 (started following it last season). I would appreciate some advice/help on the following things.

2. Should I jump into myteam mode straightaway or is there something else I should do first to get controls and gameplay down?

3. My understanding and confidence isn't the highest in things like selecting tyres/strategy for qualifying and race, on the fly adjustments like fuel mix/brake bias/diff/. What do I do about these and race setups in general? Are the default recommended ones viable?

4. Traction control/ABS? I've heard you can turn them off but I would prefer to have ABS off to keep it realistic

Thanks

Hard to tell, we're not sure how much experience and skill level you're at in sim/sim-cade racing games.

If you're like me, who used to play a lot in games like Gran Turismo or Forza, but usually only race in lower classes that are much slower in pace like modified streetcars instead of something like Prototypes, than you'll probably struggle quite a bit in this game at the beginning because these F1 cars really require quick yet delicate controls, any tiny error could cost you a fortune. If you're using controller it'll be even harder.

I started out at 100 difficulty.

2. Should I jump into myteam mode straightaway or is there something else I should do first to get controls and gameplay down?

Before I dive into MyTeam (which is the only mode I play), I went into doing hotlaps in Australia to get used to the physics. I'm not gonna lie, it literally took me a few days to get a hang of it and half way down that line I almost gave up because I just kept on spinning like a noob. Try practicing with the Haas car, it's a very nicely balance machine for beginners imo.

The MyTeam car is quite tricky to drive in low speed corners in early game, I suggest you focus on upgrading the balance of the chassis and reduce drag at the beginning.

3. My understanding and confidence isn't the highest in things like selecting tyres/strategy for qualifying and race, on the fly adjustments like fuel mix/brake bias/diff/. What do I do about these and race setups in general? Are the default recommended ones viable?

On the fly fuel adjustments need to be practice and learn from experience. For car setups I recommend you look for the ones on YouTube and then adjust them to your own likings. Personally I would use their setups, then tweak the downforce setting to the range of 10 - 15 in total (value of combining both F & R wing) instead of going optimized and have them extremely low or high, because AI in this game only uses default setup, and I found that having a car with similar characteristic as them feel more enjoyable.

4. Traction control/ABS? I've heard you can turn them off but I would prefer to have ABS off to keep it realistic

You can turn both on/off.

I would suggest you to have them both off from the get go, it would certainly make you game more fun and realistic down the line, the difficult practice is well-worth it. 

Edited by DRTApophis
4 hours ago, GlanePito said:

2. Should I jump into myteam mode straightaway or is there something else I should do first to get controls and gameplay down?

4. Traction control/ABS? I've heard you can turn them off but I would prefer to have ABS off to keep it realistic

Thanks

First off, good decision. F1 2020 is an awesome game, you can mod 2021 cars / teams / drivers into if you think you must, and if you really drop into it, 500 hours+ will not be a problem. Not everyone is as nerdy as I am, though... Besides, you cant judge about F1 2021 yet, and with the 50% off discounts arriving when the game is 4-5 months old, it may be worth the wait, especially so because some tracks in F1 2021 will be delivered later on.

Second, I would like to recommend getting a steering wheel if you can. Especially so on PC, the game is so much more fun / immersive to play with a wheel. I am on steam / PC too, and started with a controller, but was never content with it. To make things worse, switching to a wheel really took longer getting used to than necessary, loosing the controller habbits and loosing the frustration that I was slower on the wheel when i started driving with it. Personally I have been using a Thrustmaster T300 with the 2 pedal set since a year now, no problems with it (other than fixing the pedals to the floor), wheel works like on day one, yes there is a little fan making some noise, yes if your name is Schwarzenegger you will find the forces on force feedback underwhelming, but after a year with F1 2020 it is still fine for me. The T300 RS is about 280,- Euros new where I live, and that is reasonably priced, I also think it is a decent choice for a simracing beginner (like I was a year ago).

Now for your questions, excuse my answer "mixture" of all 4:

It takes some time to get all the controller and game settings right, as there are so many of them. Field of view, camera you want to drive with, button settings, steering deadzone, and many more. You wont set those within a day, it really takes some work / effort to get everything going the way you want to. My advice is, to resist the temptation to start myteam / career whatever for the beginning, and focus on practice on a single circuit. It would be best you either know the track, or you like it, or both 🙂 Going with Australia makes perfect sense, as you will meet this track again early in all game modes anyway. Not that Albert Park is easy to master, though.

Skip the F2 cars (they are imho harder to master than the F1 ones) and practice with an F1 car on a single track long enough, to find out which controller and game settings suit you best. Forget about the car setup for a start, chose a premade one. Drive 10-20 laps learning the track and getting more and more comfy with the game. Then fiddle with the controller settings, and go again. 10-20 laps then fiddle with the in game settings as needed. Rinse and repeat. Do about 100 laps over 2-3 days whatever you are ok with, and see how your laptimes start to improve.

As for driving aids, I know it is tempting to use them, at least when you are on a controller (breaking can be a pain then). As soon as you have a wheel and pedals, loose all the driving aids at once. It will be a pain to drive first, but if you are really bothering with this game, things will work rather quickly. Do not bother with the AI difficulty setting, it does not matter. Learn to handle your controls and learn your tracks first.

Concerning setups, I really cannot recomment you grab them elsewhere. Sure, might be worth a try once to see if other setups suit you better. But even if the choices setting up the car seem overwhelming at first, you will not master the game without learing how to set up the car yourself (!) without copying someones setup. That is, because everyone has a different driving style, uses different controllers, and if in "myteam" mode, has a different car with different characteristics to drive with. I am always using my own setups in myteam mode, i tend to show them in my youtube videos. Feel free to peek and try them, but if you are not on a wheel / pedal set or using similar game settings I doubt they will work wonders for you.

Once you feel ready to go for "myteam", which can be great fun, do yourself a favor and find out which pre-season interview questions and engine choices etc boost your car. On my youtube channel you find a video where I compared best / worst options and the difference is huge (about 2 seconds per lap). Also, ready yourself to drive about as a backmarker for a full year, unless you set the AI % low. If you do not have a lot of experience with simracing in general, and / or with the F1 tracks, you might try to start setting the AI 50%, or higher if you are up for a challenge. I really practiced a LOT before starting myteam, and iirc I ran my first season with 80% AI. That was really really hard for me, and AI cars bumping into my back all time showed, that I was too slow for that setting. I kept it though, and meanwhile I am driving @90% AI without any driving aids. With a "bad" engine and mediocre interview answers, I manage to score a handful of points the first season, but I must work really really hard for those, and will end up on P19 or P20 many time. To a nerd like me, this is great fun, believe it or not.

If you need any help, drop me a PM or add me on steam, while I dont play too much these days (work...) I will see what I can do.