Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 Key Shortage?

I've had to put off purchasing a PC key for F1 2021 up until now and was planning on purchasing it from ShopTo today as they sell games on 3 month repayments (have done this before with a physical copy Cyberpunk 2077 of all games 😄) only to find that not only has it disappeared completely from ShopTo (only Xbox keys remain), but I can't find it on sale anywhere else listed on IsThereAnyDeal - Fanatical, GreenManGaming, 2Game - you name it, nothing. It only seems to exist on sale at Steam now.

Is there a last minute key shortage that will be replenished before release (was hoping to get the Deluxe version on the 13th)? Or is it just Steam only now?

• Social Media & Community Team

Howdy, just checked this for you 🙂 

Essentially, we've reduced the number of official partners we directly sell digital codes through.

The first-party storefronts (Steam, PlayStation, Xbox) will always have purchase options of course, but a smaller number of third-party outlets offer codes now compared to F1 2020.

I'm afraid I don't have a definitive list of partners though, but I've been told more stores should go live soon.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Essentially, we've reduced the number of official partners we directly sell digital codes through.

The first-party storefronts (Steam, PlayStation, Xbox) will always have purchase options of course, but a smaller number of third-party outlets offer codes now compared to F1 2020.

I'm afraid I don't have a definitive list of partners though, but I've been told more stores should go live soon.

Just curiously I also emailed a retailer and got told that EA provided the release date but here in Australia, do we get the game on the 13th or 14th? Steam tells me the 17th (14th) but all our retailers say 13th (16th) 

14 hours ago, Mattio1989 said:

Just curiously I also emailed a retailer and got told that EA provided the release date but here in Australia, do we get the game on the 13th or 14th? Steam tells me the 17th (14th) but all our retailers say 13th (16th) 

i have talked to a few people and they think an early morning 13th release is going to happen for australia. not confirmed just talking to some friends about it

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2021 at 5:31 PM, PJTierney said:

Just to clear up my understanding of this, do you mean that the only place to get a PC key is Steam until after the release date, at which point third-party sellers will start selling keys again? Up until a couple of weeks ago, there were quite a few third party sellers selling pre-orders for Standard and Deluxe keys before they all apparently sold out. @PJTierney@BarryBL

Edited by s00zster

that would explain why companies like CDKeys cant get the preorder 3 days early access on pc but can on xbox, not that I reccomend using these companies, you never know the reliability if you dont buy them from official sellers like steam.

5 minutes ago, smalls048 said:

that would explain why companies like CDKeys cant get the preorder 3 days early access on pc but can on xbox, not that I reccomend using these companies, you never know the reliability if you dont buy them from official sellers like steam.

Yeah I don't use grey market sites. I mean the legit third party sellers that you find on IsThereAnyDeal.

2 minutes ago, smalls048 said:

For Reference here is the list of sellers for 2021: https://gg.deals/pack/f1-2021-deluxe-edition/

for 2020: https://gg.deals/game/f1-2020/ (even this one has reduced a lot as I got my copy from greenmangaming last year)

They're grey market sellers, best not to use them.

Agreed, stick to authorised sellers if you can.

As for your question @s00zster I don't have any further specific information than what was in my last reply (which was the direct response from our Sales team).

I know some third party sellers are coming along, but I don't have dates and deets, sorry.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, s00zster said:

They're grey market sellers, best not to use them.

i was reffering to the offical list at the top mostly because that used to be a lot bigger. I got my 2019 key off steam on sale, and my 2020 key from fanatical, then you are garunteed not to run into any problems, still trying to figure out which version of 2021 i wan though so i'll probably miss the preorder.

Edited by smalls048
13 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Agreed, stick to authorised sellers if you can.

As for your question @s00zster I don't have any further specific information than what was in my last reply (which was the direct response from our Sales team).

I know some third party sellers are coming along, but I don't have dates and deets, sorry.

Ok, no problem. Thanks. 👍

• Like 1

Well I pre-ordered from Fanatical, but that was a few months ago (since they offered me a good discount, I bought the game), I received my key a few days ago, so can't complain about anything...

Though current shortage seems odd - maybe planned "not-selling" from resellers?

9 minutes ago, smalls048 said:

i was reffering to the offical list at the top mostly because that used to be a lot bigger. I got my 2019 key off steam on sale, and my 2020 key from fanatical, then you are garunteed not to run into any problems, still trying to figure out which version of 2021 i wan though so i'll probably miss the preorder.

Ah right, ok.

2 minutes ago, mantazzo said:

Well I pre-ordered from Fanatical, but that was a few months ago (since they offered me a good discount, I bought the game), I received my key a few days ago, so can't complain about anything...

Though current shortage seems odd - maybe planned "not-selling" from resellers?

That was my initial suspicion, now that Codies are with EA, selling practices may have changed.

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)

I first bought the game on indiegala, but they refunded me because it looks like they are not getting any keys, at least for the deluxe version.

Went ahead and purchased on Fanatical, saved me 15 bucks.

Edited by Ryne

UK players: be careful when checking retailers on IsThereAnyDeal. There are currently 2 Deluxe Edition entries for 2Game, the cheaper one doesn't actually activate in the United Kingdom.

9 hours ago, Ryne said:

I first bought the game on indiegala, but they refunded me because it looks like they are not getting any keys, at least for the deluxe version.

Went ahead and purchased on Fanatical, saved me 15 bucks.

Have you received your key from Fanatical yet? I'm put off from buying because they have the release date as July 15th when it should be 13th.

39 minutes ago, s00zster said:

Have you received your key from Fanatical yet? I'm put off from buying because they have the release date as July 15th when it should be 13th.

Hold on, i think i've figured this out. 2Game states that the release date of the game is actually on the 15th at 6PM cest, but they list the early access so i suspect you still get it.

1 hour ago, smalls048 said:

Can anyone confirm if greenmangaming is an official seller or grey market? @PJTierney could you also tell us if you know whether fanatical deliver preorders on the 13th or 16th?

GreenManGaming was official up until recently. I don't know the specifics of whether it is right now or not, but it certainly was a dew months ago.

As for Fanatical, you'd have to ask them.

• Like 1