Jump to content Jump to content

Does anyone think the AI race starts are weak?

Hey guys, I have been playing this game for maybe 400 hours now since it came out and I really think that the AI has poor starts.  I can always launch myself from 20th Pl. all the way up to like ninth or eighth Place every single race regardless of track. Does anyone else have similar experiences with this game? It’s totally unrealistic you never see this in real life I’ve never seen it unless there was a huge crash and somebody from the back of the grid got all the way up the front. Anybody else think that the AIs too weak with the starts?

27 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

Guess it depends what AI level you are running? I’m nowhere near running 110 AI, but from watching  youtube content creators, it seems to work good. 

This tbh.

I'm currently practicing with less assists for when F1 2021 is released. Have traditionally been assist heavy but I'm learning to play with TC Medium, Manual Gears, Sim Damage and no Flashbacks. I'm also on a controller for the time being.

For someone who is used to being able to just divebomb everyone into the first corner and flashback if it goes wrong, this makes the race starts even more challenging.

Did a 50% race as Verstappen in Austria the other night. Started last (on purpose) on 100% AI and by lap 6 I'd only overtaken the bottom 6 cars (Both Williams, Haas and Alfa Romeo) purely because I had to be more careful. Ended up finishing P5 which wasn't too shabby I don't think.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DJNicks87 said:

Manual Gears, Sim Damage and no Flashbacks

8 hours ago, DJNicks87 said:

For someone who is used to being able to just divebomb everyone into the first corner and flashback if it goes wrong, this makes the race starts even more challenging.

That is the very reason I started a youtube channel at all, streaming my races live I only have one single shot at things, almost like in real life. Gotta be super careful first 2-3 corners, because if any flap is gone you basically have lost the race. Manual clutch no assists, 90% AI, and it is not that I outperform all other cars at the start. This is in myteam mode though, not career, maybe its different in career mode. From my POV AI starts perfectly fine, if anything they act too perfect in turn one as hardly any accidents happen, but it seems this has been adressed for F1 2021 now.

Edited by Schneehase
9 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

That is the very reason I started a youtube channel at all, streaming my races live I only have one single shot at things, almost like in real life. Gotta be super careful first 2-3 corners, because if any flap is gone you basically have lost the race. Manual clutch no assists, 90% AI, and it is not that I outperform all other cars at the start. This is in myteam mode though, not career, maybe its different in career mode. From my POV AI starts perfectly fine, if anything they act too perfect in turn one as hardly any accidents happen, but it seems this has been adressed for F1 2021 now.

I do wonder if OP is using manual clutch, on auto it's so easy to get a perfect start. 

19 hours ago, MisterJes said:

Hey guys, I have been playing this game for maybe 400 hours now since it came out and I really think that the AI has poor starts.  I can always launch myself from 20th Pl. all the way up to like ninth or eighth Place every single race regardless of track. Does anyone else have similar experiences with this game? It’s totally unrealistic you never see this in real life I’ve never seen it unless there was a huge crash and somebody from the back of the grid got all the way up the front. Anybody else think that the AIs too weak with the starts?

If you are on a wheel and pedals driving in cockpit view with a correct field of view sat close to the wheel with no side mirrors visible and NO assists selected and you are running AI 110 Ultimate then you may have a point. If not then you have room to increase the difficulty that you face against other cars  during starts. As stated it depends on how you are playing the game as to whether you are going to face any challenge.

I can get a perfect start maxed on grip and with all ERS Deployment and full throttle in a front running team from the front of the grid and still have cars all over me into the first corner on a setting of 60 AI so your set up is the problem if you are finding it all very easy , If I race at AI 110 the cars do not start much faster than at AI 60 ; its when they get to turn 2 that you notice that they are running a much faster pace

In conclusion you are either an extraordinary talent or you need to make some adjustments  in the settings menus to the game that make it harder to drive the car around the track.

From everything I've seen I suspect the most common view is that AI starts are overpowered if anything, rather than weak. My own humble start skills are certainly less consistent than the AI, although I don't generally start at the back of the grid to know quite how things play out from there. (Not a brag as I'm a long way off 110 AI!)

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2021 at 5:52 PM, Jobling1983 said:

Guess it depends what AI level you are running? I’m nowhere near running 110 AI, but from watching  youtube content creators, it seems to work good. 

95. After the pack settles out I’m usually at a competitive race pace. The AI forms a line at turn 1 and I can just cut the line, like people do when there’s traffic and they go down the exit lane and cut in last second. Happens every race. I run manual starts. 

Edited by MisterJes
1 hour ago, MisterJes said:

95. After the pack settles out I’m usually at a competitive race pace. The AI forms a line at turn 1 and I can just cut the line, like people do when there’s traffic and they go down the exit lane and cut in last second. Happens every race. I run manual starts. 

You can set track limits strict with simulation damage: that way you will either have a hard time to get through this without a penalty for track limits, or you will at least endanger you car front spoiler to take damage. This adds a lot of realism and I drive all my broadcasts this way (without flashback, because I want it to be a single shot like IRL). There are circuits though where your tactic works especially good (like China) and ones where it does not really work well.

Seems alright for me, and I play on a pad with no assists, on 105 difficulty. I run soft suspension settings like 1 front, 5 rear most of the time, and at times I either get a good start or a bad. But what’s more of a factor is the tyres. If you get the tyres to at least 80 degrees with formation lap settings, I have noticed that there is a higher chance of you getting a start like Hamilton in Abu Dhabi 2014, where he just had a lot of rear grip off the line…. As long as you have a decent reaction to the lights going out…

• Agree 2
On 7/6/2021 at 5:20 PM, MisterJes said:

105-110% Ai here, with no formation lap.

Most of the time Ai are extremely slow at launch, about a second off the line they would literally lift off the throttle to let you pass, only occasionally one of two of them would have a great launch and overtake multiple cars before the first turn. but most likely only about as quick as the player could do. 

Then into the first few corners, they usually stuck in the two-lane train and drive extremely slowly, allowing the player to easily overtake 10 cars before anything starts the spread out. Only after the trains dissipate then they would speed up, and for the first few laps their pace would be quite fast and then settle down slightly after that.

If you set formation lap to on, that's where the situation would become less predictable for players. The tire heat really effects player's car performance, if the warmup was done well you would have even more advantage than setting formation lap to off, but if your tires are cool the Ai would have massive advantage over you. If you skip the formation lap, your tires would usually be too cold and put you at a really bad situation for the first half of the lap, that's what I usually do if I wants to make my life harder 😆

Edited by DRTApophis
1 hour ago, DRTApophis said:

105-110% Ai here, with no formation lap.

Most of the time Ai are extremely slow at launch, about a second off the line they would literally lift off the throttle to let you pass, only occasionally one of two of them would have a great launch and overtake multiple cars before the first turn. but most likely only about as quick as the player could do. 

Then into the first few corners, they usually stuck in the two-lane train and drive extremely slowly, allowing the player to easily overtake 10 cars before anything starts the spread out. Only after the trains dissipate then they would speed up, and for the first few laps their pace would be quite fast and then settle down slightly after that.

If you set formation lap to on, that's where the situation would become less predictable for players. The tire heat really effects player's car performance, if the warmup was done well you would have even more advantage than setting formation lap to off, but if your tires are cool the Ai would have massive advantage over you. If you skip the formation lap, your tires would usually be too cold and put you at a really bad situation for the first half of the lap, that's what I usually do if I wants to make my life harder 😆

I typically just queue and wait until half a lap to start racing lol.  It’s just so unreal that I can even do that. I want to have real race starts but race starts are so easy it’s like cheating. At least for me. 

• Agree 1
3 minutes ago, MisterJes said:

I typically just queue and wait until half a lap to start racing lol.  It’s just so unreal that I can even do that. I want to have real race starts but race starts are so easy it’s like cheating. At least for me. 

Gotta love how there're people who're just like me 😆, I had to mimic the Ai slow start to make it "looks" more realistic in the replays LOL.

1 minute ago, DRTApophis said:

Gotta love how there're people who're just like me 😆, I had to mimic the Ai slow start to make it "looks" more realistic in the replays LOL.

They nerfed the race starts in 2019 because they were OP. I FEEL like maybe they went a little to far in the opposite direction. 

• Agree 1
15 hours ago, MisterJes said:

They nerfed the race starts in 2019 because they were OP. I FEEL like maybe they went a little to far in the opposite direction. 

They react pretty good, but it’s the launch and acceleration where you can exploit them at times.