If you're looking for information, check out the page 1 of this thread
F1 2021 Forum Championship - Season One

Links
Steam Chat: https://s.team/chat/co1WjXTI
Standings: https://cmfc.3110.xyz/

Next race
Austrian GP 24/09/2021

Curious about the lobby settings for our forum championship races:

Is there a way for us drivers, once e.g. qualifying has started, to check the settings like if we are set to equal performance and stuff like that? Somehow I recall in previous iterations of the game, you would get this shown at the bottom of the lobby in multiplayer, but somehow in F1 2021 you dont get to see that info at all - or is that only me?

Was an interesting qualifying and race, bit too many safety cars for my taste, I always end up on the wrong (used) tyre set or stumble into something like "no no we do not change damaged front wings during pitstops by default any more" 😄 

@Schneehase I honestly don't know. I can only say that the new UX in the game is not that good. You have to go through so many menus to for example configure a single race. It's pretty bad compared to what you can do in other games, or even F1 2020.
Usually it's always equal cars. That is for sure. All Assists are allowed too, aside from pit limiter. Quali is always 18 minutes and Race is always 50%. Weather is dynamic.

Also, please, I was involved in some very unnecessary incidents in the last couple races. I watched some replays and just found them to be utterly avoidable. The amount of me having to take avoidable action in the past couple races has been unusually high so once again I would like to ask you guys to just drive with a little bit more respect for your opponents.
Personally. I'd rather take the (penalty) hit than to retire a car. I'd also like to say that I'm not mad at anyone or anything in particular.  

My apologies for not showing up this week without prior notice - sorry for any inconvenience caused, i was occupied by unexpected family matters for a few days and did not have a chance to come online in time. Bit unhappy that I missed Hungary, just Hungary, certainly one of my favourite tracks.

I should be able to attend again in the upcoming week, if everything works out as planned. 

• Administrator
On 9/4/2021 at 4:54 PM, Schneehase said:

My apologies for not showing up this week without prior notice - sorry for any inconvenience caused, i was occupied by unexpected family matters for a few days and did not have a chance to come online in time. Bit unhappy that I missed Hungary, just Hungary, certainly one of my favourite tracks.

I should be able to attend again in the upcoming week, if everything works out as planned. 

No worries @Schneehase, family comes first (I sound like Dom Toretto here)

We'll see you Friday 🙂 

29 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

We'll see you Friday 🙂 

Thank you, looking forward, I should better start working on my Suzuka setup though, oO...

May I point you to my question above @BarryBL see here, I was wondering why we always seem to have the Mercedes and Astons in front (good drivers they are, no question) and why there never is a surprise in qualifying by a driver in a McLaren, Alpine, Haas or sumsuch - or in other words, is the equal performance setting in multiplayer working as intended:

Edited by Schneehase
  • Administrator

If i remember rightly @Schneehase, KimiRai (Haas) has a few poles. 

So quali standings (by constructor) were:

1. Haas
  2. Aston
  3. Aston
  4. AT
  5. Haas
  6. Me
  7. AT
  8. Williams
  9. Mclaren
  10. Ferrari
  11. William
  12. Mercedes

Working correctly for sure. Looking at previous seasons, Kimi, Regh and LS_K are traditionally at the sharp end. Nuke is in championship fight, and @BiberMike pulled out a stunner in Quali. Kimi's good, real good, however, Haas at pole wouldn't happen IRL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Japan GP with desyncs and NUKE's ghosted car taking out others:

I do have a replay of the scene in question - i am having a hard time to stream this to youtube, because F1 2021 is crashing all time on me during the replay... and if it does not, it seems I am only recording / streaming a black screen at the moment... - i will try to fix this, but not tonight, since wifey and I have wedding day 😄 

The incident you guys are looking for is lap 8, under the safety car. As a sidenote, before it happened, there were aleady 6 cars (of 15 total) out of the race with DNF. Somehow under the safety car, Xandosh managed to overtake me 😄 and a few seconds later, the car of NUKE becomes ghosted. A few turns later, close to under the bridge before the hairpin, the ghosted NUKE car seems to materialize again, leap forward and take out Xandosh and Ls_k if I have seen that correctly. Both Xandosh and Ls_k completely innocent in what happened to them.

Not the first time during this championship though, that some lagging or DC/ed cars take out others, has happened to me as well in Canada, when my teammate jumped into my rear wing shortly after the start, only to jump by me seconds later with my front wing hitting him when he materialized. Got a clip of that as well, somewhere.

• Agree 1
4 hours ago, Schneehase said:

Japan GP with desyncs and NUKE's ghosted car taking out others:

I do have a replay of the scene in question - i am having a hard time to stream this to youtube, because F1 2021 is crashing all time on me during the replay... and if it does not, it seems I am only recording / streaming a black screen at the moment... - i will try to fix this, but not tonight, since wifey and I have wedding day 😄 

The incident you guys are looking for is lap 8, under the safety car. As a sidenote, before it happened, there were aleady 6 cars (of 15 total) out of the race with DNF. Somehow under the safety car, Xandosh managed to overtake me 😄 and a few seconds later, the car of NUKE becomes ghosted. A few turns later, close to under the bridge before the hairpin, the ghosted NUKE car seems to materialize again, leap forward and take out Xandosh and Ls_k if I have seen that correctly. Both Xandosh and Ls_k completely innocent in what happened to them.

Not the first time during this championship though, that some lagging or DC/ed cars take out others, has happened to me as well in Canada, when my teammate jumped into my rear wing shortly after the start, only to jump by me seconds later with my front wing hitting him when he materialized. Got a clip of that as well, somewhere.

And here is the video for the issue - its recommended you start watching at time index 12.40 mins:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@SchneehaseCongrats on the Wedding day mate!

Also, thanks for the analysis and the videos. I think this is exactly like it happened, no driver seems to be at direct fault here, it's just classic netcode bs imo. 
But I have to admit that now, after my 4th consecutive DNF (2 of which I was not at fault) I'm kind of thinking about quitting the season early or something like that. It's straight up depressing at this point.

If the game keeps desyncing and killing drivers like that, a race should be restarted. 😩

@BarryBLIf I may ask for a single favor from you, I would ask you to send the video of the crash straight to the devs. It is emblematic of the current state of this game. Never in over 10 years of playing codies' F1 online have I seen AI going this mental on the players.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LSKone said:

Also, thanks for the analysis and the videos. I think this is exactly like it happened, no driver seems to be at direct fault here, it's just classic netcode bs imo. 
But I have to admit that now, after my 4th consecutive DNF (2 of which I was not at fault) I'm kind of thinking about quitting the season early or something like that. It's straight up depressing at this point.

If the game keeps desyncing and killing drivers like that, a race should be restarted. 😩

You are welcome.

Concerning restarting the race, any way you try to handle this you will hurt someone who has not deserved it. If @xandosh would not have passed me under safety car (which also should never be possible to happen without a penalty, and / or the game reordering the cars) I would have been right behind you and maybe then I would have been the one taken out by this issue. Then again, I qualified in 6th, and I was in 5th under the safety car, so it would feel a bit harsh to be left with nothing, only because I gained 1 spot from this issue. And the same counts for the other survivors, I suppose. But - as I wrote in the steam chat already, I am not important, I am no championship contender, and I do not want to spoil things for the cracks driving here. These guys are awesome drivers and I already learned a lot from them this season. Thanks for that 👍

About quitting the season depressed:

I doubt devs will want to hear the following, but it might be an option to restart the season, once the game reaches a state where we can expect to have races without issues like this. That might be more fair than just repeating or cancelling this very race, and besides, these desyncs could / will happen again during the next race(s) or re-runs. Bottom line, the best solution would be to have a hotfix preventing issues like that from happening, and start over.

And besides, man you cant just walk away from this. Never give up, never give in. The IRL drivers we all adore cant walk away either.

• Administrator

Passed it over @LSKone. Thanks for the video @Schneehase.

I'd like to ask all drivers in the league ensure that all possible steps have been completed to ensure the best connection possible. These include:

1.  Make sure you are running a wired connection if possible.
  2.  Ensure all ports are available on your router for online gaming
  3.  Completed all troubleshooting steps here: Connection Issues Troubleshooting - Troubleshooting - Codemasters Community

Some users are reporting 'red bars' in connectivity, which is suggesting there may be some connectivity problems here. Also, we are a worldwide league, so there is some risk here. @NUKE05 can you confirm all of the above when possible please. Worth all of us doing this.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Barry, much appreciated.

I'd like to propose the restart of the Japan GP for this week. We had more than 50% DNF so I think it would be in the best interest of all to just restart the race this week.
For the record: I can't think of a single race where we already did that, so I think, while it's a somewhat new and extreme measure, we should do it for this race and not overuse it as often.

@BarryBL either way, can we have information, if this weeks GP will be Austria or else? I have to work an awful lot during the week and hardly find any time to do a setup that suits me. I am ok with either decisions concerning last week, but please no surprises the day before we drive. Please let us know shortly, thank you!

As for your request:

1. check
  2. check
  3. check

11 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Some users are reporting 'red bars' in connectivity, which is suggesting there may be some connectivity problems

I wonder why we can not have some basic rules here, to provide a smooth experience for everyone. E.g. all drivers have to be online and in the lobby 20 minutes before sheduled race start. Host is checking their connectivity in the lobby. Players with red (low) connectivity are given a warning and have 15 minutes to check and improve their connections. Host final check is 5 minutes before the race start. Player who did not manage to get into yellow bars at least can not participate.

Would that be useful? Would it be too harsh? Are there alternatives?

Edited by Schneehase
  • Agree 1

With the connection, the rad bars, it's somewhat more complicated than that. 
In some cases, it's somewhat alright like for example with Kisuke (and most of the other Japanese players). Their connections are not fast, obviously, but stable = good enough.
On the other hand, if you are far away AND have an unstable connection, this can be a real problem. Something that is basically not fixable.
The single biggest problem hereby being that if a single player has problems, everybody will have a bad time.

To mitigate that, you would have to say that all players from outside Europe are banned. Since this is not a hardcore super competition league, I think this is not a good option though. 
The steps, which Barry recently posted, are pretty much the only method you can do. 
We can basically only recommend to join this league if you are in Europe and do the steps provided by Barry.

And yes, I hate to pressure you @BarryBL, but we have to discuss the next race. I still want that restart and I simply cannot accept the last race. I'm open to ideas but please, let's discuss it at least.

Edited by LSKone
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, LSKone said:

With the connection, the rad bars, it's somewhat more complicated than that. 
In some cases, it's somewhat alright like for example with Kisuke (and most of the other Japanese players). Their connections are not fast, obviously, but stable = good enough.
On the other hand, if you are far away AND have a unstable connection, this can be a real problem. Something that is basically not fixable.
The single biggest problem hereby being that if a single player has problems, everybody will have a bad time.

To mitigate that, you would have to say that all players from outside Europe are banned. Since this is not a hardcore super competition league, I think this is not a good option though. 
The steps, which Barry recently posted, are pretty much the only method you can do. 

And yes, I hate to pressure you @BarryBL, but we have to discuss the next race. I still want that restart and I simply cannot accept the last race. I'm open to ideas but please, let's discuss it at least.

I empathise your frustration, we'll discuss in DM's as I need to think of not just the people affected, but those who drove exceptionally well and got a fantastic result Friday. 

What also isn't fair is that players who got their best result of the season Friday simply having it taking away. I need to find a balance that satisfies all parties.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
5 hours ago, BarryBL said:

I need to find a balance that satisfies all parties

What about the following suggestions:

Let us consider the last race as "pending", as "provisional" so to speak. As such, results are counted for now / for the time being (to be fair to the finishers) and we proceed with the Austrian GP next as planned (to buy time for your final decision). Depending on how the season unfolds further, it may be - or it may not be - relevant, that the results of a single race become decisive for the championship contenders. If it was so close in the end, that this awkward japanese GP would tip things over, there is the chance to re-run it at the end of the season (to be fair to those who were taken out without a chance to react). If though the championship unfolds in a way, that it is decided early anyway, and that one more race / or deleting the Japan results would not matter anyway, you can always decide to either leave things as is, or to cancel that GP in retrospective, if you must. Of course you will not decide the championship doing so, if it was that close its recommended you either cancel the 1st Japan GP and rerun it at the end of the season, or to run another, 2nd Japan GP as an additional race to have a fair decision.

Either way, your main problem will / can be that similar things have already happened in previous races, or will happen in upcoming races. What then? You cant cancel any race where cars are affected by (say) connection trouble, and no i dont see excluding people from further away as an option. However it should be feasible that everyone is trying their best to improve his connection for the sake of all participants, and if it was obvious that someone would not (e.g. because he would still prefer to stream a race live eventhough his bars were red) then it should be allowed for the hosts to take action. Who knows, may be in the end we all end up with a better experience that way.

Just some thoughts, not that any of them would be the solely way i would handle things, personally.

On 9/10/2021 at 5:19 PM, Schneehase said:

And here is the video for the issue - its recommended you start watching at time index 12.40 mins:

13:24 - 13:29 so... that is what happened... That is the most destructive driving I have ever seen in this game! (Other then being punted into hyperspace by rammers in ranked play 😐🙄).