Jump to content Jump to content

driver stats editor

CM_Schneehase

F1 2021 needs a driver stat editor:

For everyone who is not happy with the "original" codemaster made driver stats. Please, let the community bring up their own best solution for the driver stats. This will result in better, more realistic stats, with faster updated, and will as a side effect take all criticism away from the dev team. If you must, couple game progress / achievements / podium pass towards the original stats, or something similar, but please let us use our own stat set if we wanted to, if we insisted that there is a flaw that we wanted to correct in our single player game modes (at least, especially so in "myteam" mode, might make perfect use in "career mode" as well).

I for one would also love to have an engine stats and team (chassis) stats editor, if that was technically possible.

If neither of the above was possible, then at least give us some accessible text file, where all stats values are stored, so we can fiddle about with that one (this would restrict stat editing to PC only though).

29 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

1. F1 2021 needs a driver stat editor:

2. For everyone who is not happy with the "original" codemaster made driver stats. Please, let the community bring up their own best solution for the driver stats. This will result in better, more realistic stats, with faster updated, and will as a side effect take all criticism away from the dev team.

3. If you must, couple game progress / achievements / podium pass towards the original stats, or something similar, but please let us use our own stat set if we wanted to, if we insisted that there is a flaw that we wanted to correct in our single player game modes (at least, especially so in "myteam" mode, might make perfect use in "career mode" as well).

4. I for one would also love to have an engine stats and team (chassis) stats editor, if that was technically possible.

5. If neither of the above was possible, then at least give us some accessible text file, where all stats values are stored, so we can fiddle about with that one (this would restrict stat editing to PC only though).

This was very frequently requested in the 2020 suggestion forums, and until there's any feedback on why it cannot be implemented then I think it is one of those that will run and run. 

I've divided your post into 5 sections to return opinions.

1. Yes. Yes, it does.

2. I believe they're going to be updating driver stats after every race in line with Real Season Start. If it can be done within a week (in the case of double and triple headers) then it's possible it's not much of a burden for the dev team.  It would indeed result in better and more realistic stats.. but only for those who utilise it properly and don't just give their title rivals 1overall stats. However, I view that as people sabotaging their own game so it's their own time they're wasting. 

3. I like this idea. Basically, when you start a new MyTeam/Career, it asks if you would like to use Default or Customised stats. Default works perfectly. However, if you try to use Customised then you get a message saying that "It may not be possible to earn achievements/trophies while using customised stats. Do you want to continue?"

4. Team Editor would be much trickier to introduce as teams take their representation very seriously and aren't keen on not having creative control. For example, in screenshots, have you ever seen a Ferrari not leading the way?   

5. It would fix the PC issues, yes. However, I think they'd be reticent about having different quality of games across multiple platforms. I'm aware PC can usually mod the hell out of the game anyway but actively pointing PC players to a location where they can edit game files whereas console players can't may be construed as preferential.  They have to be careful about not being perceived to be Great on PC whereas Satisfactory on Console. 

But, fundamentally, a driver editor would be a great inclusion. 

I can perhaps see why they don't.

So you think (for example) Mazepin drives like a dork. You set his pace and awareness to 10 and then complain that

a) he's a roadblock

b) he drives into others and causes incidents

the idea behind the driver weightings (discussed in 'focus' and 'driver stat calculation' threads elsewhere) means that without the workings, you can set 'glitch' conditions. With a range from 1-99 the effect can be profound and maybe not have the desired (or maybe has an undesired) effect. Does anyone have the workings for where the ratings are used throughout the game? Have Codemasters revealed fully how the stats are actually derived and where they're used? No? Maybe they're not ready to reveal the game's workings so openly and maybe it might cause a debate on how they are actually derived and applied.

Pretty soon the next game will be written by a million monkeys' input into the forums?

• Sad 1

It's a shame to see it devolve into a slightly off-topic discussion but i'm hoping that will be put aside soon enough. We're all adults here and the suggestions page is supposed to be a positive upbeat way about improving the game. 

To play Devils Advocate as I don't want Stevie to think everyone is piling in, I think it could just be circumstance. For example, if he sees a suggestion that he thinks has potential then he's more likely to put a thumbs-up reaction than a reply saying "good idea!". Therefore when he does 'pour cold water', it just looks like he's being consistently negative as it's easier to see a post saying an idea can't work than it is to see a thumbs up.   Just because he's a moderator doesn't mean that he also can't express his opinions, but I do agree that some things do come across as insensitive and, as a moderator, it's probably the case that he'd have to place more care into how those opinions are conveyed.

I do hope there's no lingering bitterness and it can be brushed to the side as an unnecessary series of interactions worth moving past. I would much prefer someone to come onto one of my suggestions and tell me why it can't be so, rather than I suggest something and have no feedback at all. It may be a personal choice though. 

Probably best to move on from the disagreement and return to the original topic of whether a driver editor would be a good idea or not.  I like it and would like to see it implemented in some form but I can understand how there will be some pitfalls with AI behaviour. 

Let's steer it back to the topic.

Personally I am all for something like a driver stat editor or team stat editor, the more the game is willing to gives us an option to turn it into a sandbox game the better. However I have to say the current driver stats and rating we have are quite vague and doesn't seem to be consistent across the board. If we simply just use the current system to build an editor for players to use will likely just ends in undesirable results, not to mention there's also driver growth involved in the progression which will make things even more complicated. 

If we're gonna have a proper editor, the stats will likely needs to be a lot more specific into covering every little detail of a driver's ability:

1. Qualifying (One-lap) Pace?
  2. Qualifying consistency?
  3. Race pace + consistency?
  4. Start light reaction?
  5. Launch speed + consistency?
  6. Overtaking ability?
  7. Defending Skills?
  8. Willingness of remaining side-by-side in corners?
  9. Aggression?
  10. Stamina?
  11. Tire management?
  12. Rain performance?
  13. Stress management? 
  14. etc, etc, etc, etc........

Yea....only having 4 stats is simply not enough to distinguish driver from driver, for a driver stat editor to works properly we'll likely need to go a lot deeper.

3 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

However I have to say the current driver stats and rating we have are quite vague and doesn't seem to be consistent across the board.

I wonder if it's the combination of the stats that get the desired balancing, rather than the stats working as indicated (awareness, experience, racecraft, pace) they are actually fairly arbitrary and that's why it looks so odd to us, but to CM it's the combination together that denotes Hamilton is a better performer than Bottas (controversy over this aside). 

In that case, I wonder if it was wise at all for CM to open these up to public viewing, and perhaps should have just stuck with a generic 'Overall'. 

We'll see when the game drops as some of those stats, if read as they're displayed, would indicate some real wacky results are on their way. 

• Agree 1

• Codemasters Staff

I have hidden a few posts in this thread as they just do not contribute to the thread in a constructive manner other than to take aim at each other. Lets please keep threads on topic where possible, even here in the suggestions.

To answer someone's earlier question, yes, the suggestions forum does get looked at (even when I'm not on the clock I still look) to see what everyone comes up with.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

you can set 'glitch' conditions

This is the most striking argument for me, it is very easy to allow people to "configure themselves into a corner" by giving them too much (fine grained) control over the experience. From a developer perspective, would you fix a bug that only occurs if you have a certain, 1 in a million combination of driver stats? Probably not, it is not worth the time and effort. Would you be disappointed, as a paying customer, if Codemasters ignores your bug report about it or closes it as "won't fix"? 100% you would be. As you can see, no one really wins here.

20 hours ago, Schneehase said:

This will result in better, more realistic stats, with faster updated, and will as a side effect take all criticism away from the dev team.

In a perfect world this would work and everyone will be happy. However, as we all know, the world isn't perfect and this will only shift the blame from Codemasters to whoever else makes the call on the stats updates in a community. 

Having full control over driver ratings would also allow you to "cheat" a bit, wouldn't it? Say I set the AI difficulty to the maximum level (currently 110) but also destroy the driver rating of all other drivers, giving me an edge over everyone, despite the AI being set to 110.

That might be a nice thing for a content creator to create entertainment (if you remember aarava's videos from the past where he modded the game to create ridiculous scenarios) but I personally do not believe that the average player and in sum anyone else would really have a lot of benefit from Codemasters spending time on such a feature.

• Agree 1