Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Wet to dry unscheduled pit stop race problem

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and F1 2013 and have a question about when the race changes from wet to dry. I'm doing the PS3 version and Grand Prix option with all the 2013 races and all the assists on at Amateur level. I'm not doing any set up stuff for now until I learn the game more. So with 2 races to go all I need to do is finish ahead of Alonso to be champion.I dominate all 3 qualifying sessions at the US Grand Prix and am on pole by 3.389 seconds. The race is set for one pit stop and it starts out wet. I lead from the start and build a good advantage so retain a  27+ seconds lead even after the scheduled pit stop but then then with 3 laps to go I'm told over the pit radio that I need to come in and change to dry tyres. I do what it says but still come out with wet tyres (no option to change to anything else presented itself during the stop) and only a 5 second advantage and the car is completely undriveable and I mean totally, not just that you have to be careful. It's all over the place and I fall down to 16th! Ridiculous! Any words of wisdom? The booklet you get with the game tells you very little, sadly.

You still have to pick the compound you want before the pit stop (or as you’re driving into the pit). Assuming the PS3 controller setup is similar to Xbox, you’ll find that option on the D-pad right button.

You’re certainly not the first person who’s been caught out by your race engineer apparently not talking to the pit crew in this scenario, though...

Thanks for your reply. I suppose I'll just give that a go next time I make a pit stop and see what happens then.

Mark52,

Just happened to me at Nurburing.  Starts out in a storm, with blue (wet) tires.  Engineer announces it will let up in about 5 minutes.  Says I should put on Intermediate (green) tires when I pit.  I pit, blue tires are once again on my car.  Like Scottishwildcat said, you have to toggle your tire menu while you are racing, before you pit, then select the tires you want them to put on.  It's the same as switching between rich, standard and lean fuel options, while you are racing, but use the tire menu.  Best to practice this before you get into a race, or practice it and restart the race when you are able to do it comfortably without crashing while you do it.

Scrench

Keep in mind that you must choose the tire that you want for your next stint, unless your strategy is meant to be with the tire you want, the game will put on the same tires you had the stint before. So let's say I start with options, my race strategy says I should pit for primes on lap 12, but I want option tires. If I don't choose options, the game will follow the race strategy and I'll get primes. Same thing with the rain, if I'm on full wets and I pit without choosing any other tire, the game will automatically put full wets on my car. So always choose the tires you want for your next stint BEFORE you enter the pit lane. (maybe during your last lap on each stint) Hope this helps!

Thanks guys, this is very helpful. I'll practice it before I start the next championship! Funny that they don't put any of this in the instruction booklet.

It's painfully obvious that those of us who are into the game take it much more seriously than the creators, Codemasters.  Otherwise, they would see the unique opportunity they have to virtually take over the racing game genre.  Visit RFactor, iRacing, Assetto Corso, Gran Turismo, and others and you quickly see the big holes in their development and execution.  About the only game that gets it right is Forza.  And please forget about and drop the whole debate about which one is the most realistic.  None of them are.  Get real, we sit in a chair, at home, with plastic steering wheels or controllers, then want to complain because the "tires don't feel right" or some other such nonsense.  Lets just focus on what's important, give us a good game that we can manipulate to suite our individual tastes, without any bugs.

Scrench

Just finished Nurburing which starts in a storm.  Stayed out 7 laps on Wets, toggled on lap 5 for Intermediates, got them on lap 8 pit stop, then ignored engineer telling me to pit again at lap 11, drove to a 6th place finish still on same Intermediates.  I would have finished horribly if I had listened to the engineer. 

After the US GP the same thing happened to me in Brazil but before I received everyone's advice. I ignored the engineer telling me to come in and as the track dried was told to slow down in the corners as my tyres were overheating. Did that and still won the race!