Jump to content Jump to content

fuel consumption is broken

How you drive will influence fuel usage, as in real life...

(In F1 2020 the accuracy of the fueling predictions was also heavily dependent on the relevant practice programme. I'm not sure if this is still present in F1 2021 but if it is then this is likely to have been the cause of your issue.)

18 hours ago, JeremyKrueger said:

did my first 25% race started with 3 laps fuel over target ran out of fuel with 2 laps left id say that is the definition of broken feeling like i just wasted a bunch of money on Garbage

16 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

How you drive will influence fuel usage, as in real life...

(In F1 2020 the accuracy of the fueling predictions was also heavily dependent on the relevant practice programme. I'm not sure if this is still present in F1 2021 but if it is then this is likely to have been the cause of your issue.)

I agree with the above. If you’re doing qualifying style laps every lap then that’s understandable as to why you would run out. From what I’ve seen I think fuel management is less important now we can’t use rich mix

1 hour ago, cpayne32 said:

I agree with the above. If you’re doing qualifying style laps every lap then that’s understandable as to why you would run out. From what I’ve seen I think fuel management is less important now we can’t use rich mix

Hmm but I wonder how he lost that much fuel with overfuelling the car and without the ability to change engine modes anymore. In the past I was able to drive with normal fuel mode and push every lap without any fuel problems. 

• Agree 1
Just now, DonBlanko said:

Hmm but I wonder how he lost that much fuel with overfuelling the car and without the ability to change engine modes anymore. In the past I was able to drive with normal fuel mode and push every lap without any fuel problems. 

The only thing I can think of is major over revving of the engine

4 minutes ago, DonBlanko said:

What do you mean ? I do not own the game yet 😕

Ah okay. So basically when you change gears (assuming you use manual), in the race it’s better to change early to reduce the level of revs. The higher you rev the engine before changing the gear, the more fuel you use. Another factor is how aggressive you are on the throttle because smooth acceleration will use less fuel than planting your foot to the floor. 

For the last few games, ive usually filled with 1 lap of extra fuel but from the experience I’ve had so far, I am now only putting 0.4 laps of extra fuel and I finish with the same level and I use no assists

Fuel is managed through your driving style now not Rich and Lean mix. If you're low on fuel lift and coast more into/around corners and keep your revs lower. Upshift before you hit the limiter. Higher gearing = less fuel burned.

Edited by TFBISE16
  • Like 3

Ah that's what you mean. I had a translation problem, thanks ! lift and coast is known for me. But interesting to know that it now really is an important way of how to drive a race because in the previous games I never used lifed and coast even when I just had max +1 lap and did not use high fuel Mix. 

It seems that driving style now makes more difference in relation to fuel management. 

I haven't done any 25% races besides that braking point one in France and fuel consuption seemed normal. I accidentally had 3 laps extra fuel in the car and while I'm not entirely sure what I had left at the finish, it was definitely more than 2 based on what Jeff told me.

Yep this happened to me too. It did it in my Bahrain race, did all the practice programs, doin my race as usual, come lap 21/29 Jeff’s telling me I have 5 laps left of fuel. I restart, put 3.5 extra laps worth of fuel in and still ran out at the end, and the second half of that race I was short shifting so much I never even lit up the purple lights in the rev range, was losing so much pace to people behind me but fuel was still dropping quick. I looked up a person on YT playing the same track, same distance and their fuel worked just fine, and they were driving fast way more aggressive than I was, this is 100% a bug 

weird. I haven't personally noticed fuel burning more quickly to be perfectly honest.  It feels about the same as previous titles after doing 4 chapters in braking point, 5 races in career, and 1 in championship.  All with 25%.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the practice programmes still affect the fuel use prediction like in F1 2020? If they do then I expect this is key here rather than there being a bug...

30 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Can anyone confirm whether or not the practice programmes still affect the fuel use prediction like in F1 2020? If they do then I expect this is key here rather than there being a bug...

Hmm it may be the problem, but I think the problem could something else, because some people wrote, that they overfueled the car, but still had not enough fuel for the end of the race. So the fuel predicition can't be the problem there. fuel predection would be the problem, if they start the race with an underfueled car, i guess. 

Maybt the new function is the problem. I have seen videos that there is a option you can change, wether the car slows more or less down, when the car is underfueled. This option should give the player the abiltity to save fuel more easy I guess, when the fuel rate is to low.

Now my question is, is the game scripted, that an overfueled car automatically burns more fuel than an underfueled car? maybe the solution is to underfuel the car or to take the direct predicted fuel rate and rarely use lift and coast. maybe there is a function in the game, which makes the car burn more fuel, when we overfueling the car at the start. 

Edited by DonBlanko
1 hour ago, DonBlanko said:

Hmm it may be the problem, but I think the problem could something else, because some people wrote, that they overfueled the car, but still had not enough fuel for the end of the race. So the fuel predicition can't be the problem there.

Yes it can. They are overfueling based on the prediction. If the prediction is wrong then they could actually still be underfueling.

• Agree 2
5 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Yes it can. They are overfueling based on the prediction. If the prediction is wrong then they could actually still be underfueling.

True, good thought! 

But then must be the fuel prediction "very" wrong 😄

I don't know how to get that in practise. 

9 minutes ago, DonBlanko said:

True, good thought! 

But then must be the fuel prediction "very" wrong 😄

I don't know how to get that in practise. 

I don't have F1 2021 yet to comment from experience but we did see a few people with issues like this in 2020 where people were driving ultra cautiously to pass the fuel management programmes.

Ahh now it makes sense. Honestly I skipped the fuel Programm in f1 2020 because I didn't want to get too much r&d points too fast. 

But I honestly thought that the amount of fuel is predicted from your driving style when you do race simulation programm in practice and not from the fuel managenent programm. 

6 minutes ago, DonBlanko said:

But I honestly thought that the amount of fuel is predicted from your driving style when you do race simulation programm in practice and not from the fuel managenent programm. 

Hmmm, I'm not 100% sure now you've said that! It was certainly determined by one of them anyway, so this could still be influence what the OP experienced.

• Like 1

My "solution" in F1 2020 (and all before) was to do fuel/ers/tyre/race practice programs in standard fuel mix, which best represent how I will race. Never had any problem with fuel in race, always racing at 50%. If completing program is hard with standard fuel, just lift and coast more and use a bit of ers out of turns, should give enough boost for better time and save fuel for program goal.

• Agree 1

When doing a race sim, the fuel mix keeps automatically moving to lean, and I have to put it back to standard.  I ran an experiment and overfilled the car by some 8 laps on a full 100% race.  Halfway through the race I was down to 2 laps worth of fuel in Barcelona.  Something is definitely broken.

I’m going to experiment more today and do the same race, team and distance in other modes and see how it goes, I suspect that Grand Prix mode might go by without issue as there’s no race sim program to be had to even calculate fuel 

• Agree 1