Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

fuel consumption is broken

it was some kind of bug i recieved when adjusting fuel loads i race at 101 difficulty i know how to race was not my throttle control and unfortunately i have not been able to recreate this bug but for the record it has only happened the one time

4 minutes ago, JeremyKrueger said:

it was some kind of bug i recieved when adjusting fuel loads i race at 101 difficulty i know how to race was not my throttle control and unfortunately i have not been able to recreate this bug but for the record it has only happened the one time

Did you see the vids I posted? Did that look similar to how yours was draining? I’m about to get on and run my experiments and see if I can recreate it 

Well that’s good it at least isn’t happening again but man it sucks when it does. If it happens again make sure to document everything since this seems to be a more rare bug that way they can see it and fix it, I’m gonna make a bug report based on my incident 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JeremyKrueger said:

yes like in the video i ran the practice programs and adjusted fuel loads before race start that is when the bug started ive tried to recreate it twice with no luck

here’s my report I left, check out the two streamable links and compare them, you can see the difference perfectly there, first one in the main post body was my bugged run in driver career, second clip in the edit is the race I did in Grand Prix mode, no bug present 

On 7/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, JeremyKrueger said:

did my first 25% race started with 3 laps fuel over target ran out of fuel with 2 laps left id say that is the definition of broken feeling like i just wasted a bunch of money on Garbage

I've run about 4 25% races now and I saw this post before my first one so I took an extra half lap of fuel to be safe.   Never needed it.   Still finished 1.34 laps of fuel left.  The last 3 races I never changed the fuel once from the default strategy and I've never even been close to running out and that's me pushing every lap.  I'm not doing any fuel saving or short shifting etc to help save fuel.  I suspect it's got to be your driving style.   Do you use assisted starts and just stand on the throttle until the lights go out?  If so, that will drain your fuel bigtime.   Do you use manual gears and shift late, over revving the engine?  That will also drain fuel.   Hard on the throttle out of corners in low gear can too, also creating lots of wheel spin.  I dont know how you drive obviously, just trying to throw some ideas out to help.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, DizzyG3015 said:

well, of course it matters. What else would you get excited about at this point except braking point and better car damage simulation. Everyone complained about the outdated car performances last year. if they are like last year and Hamilton wins every race, I can still play last years game because that's not what 2021 is like.

Tbh I prefer clean races so enhanced damage model is nice to have but that's it. Apart from that and updated team liveries I don't see much new in this game. we don't have the new tracks, my team is basically the same and I forgot to mention, the ratings are a joke again. Bottas 92, Ricciardo 91 😂 not saying its a bad game, I had fun with 2020, just that I am underwhelmed plus forums are there to talk about what could be better right? if everyone is just here to say how great the game is, that seems useless to me. Anyway, what is gamebreaking to you?

On 7/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, JeremyKrueger said:

did my first 25% race started with 3 laps fuel over target ran out of fuel with 2 laps left id say that is the definition of broken feeling like i just wasted a bunch of money on Garbage

There's nothing broken here, try to do Race Strategy in practice for the game to calculate your average fuel usage per lap, then in the race they'll give you the more precise fuel load/lap. After that it's all about your own fuel management ability, I could go one-lap down on fuel in 50% race with no issue at all, I bet the more experience drivers could go way below that without losing much pace. 

Edited by DRTApophis

I just had this problem in Spain (100% length) though I think it is because I used the practice mode mini game to skip it, ran my race normally and about halfway I saw the fuel icon, since then even under revving the car like hell and I can't get it to stabilize not to mention go up, saved mid game but I think I'm screwed on this one, in 5 laps I couldn't come up with a solution to stop the drain. It is weird since in Bahrain where I did the full practice program I did fine even with pushing the car really hard (+2 laps at the end of the race). My guess is that the game took the estimates from the simulated program and under fueled the car, probably will restart the race and try to add as much fuel as possible because at this rate, I will probably dnf 🙂

Edited by xdox

Same here. I'm running a 50% length race on Spain in create a team mode and my fuel is draining like crazy. I drove the race before the same exact way and didn't have an issue. Seems like a bug. I was -1.35 laps of fuel on my first attempt at Spain, restarted the race with an extra 2 laps of fuel and still draining like crazy even when I'm lifting/short shifting. Frustrating. 

It’s a bug. The fuel consumption goes down in F1 2021 in standard mix as it would in rich mix in F1 2020. I also increased the fuel to +2.5 laps on a 50% race after running out of fuel in my first attempt (redbull career mode). First attempt was aggressive driving. Second attempt I tried to lift and coast as much as possible from the beginning (as good old Jeff was telling me to). Not an ounce of difference. Still ran under with 14 laps left. All the AI cars where flying. Surely you don’t need to stick 5+ laps in a Redbull and actually drive not roll round the track to be left standing by a Williams. 100 AI difficulty before you ask. 

My first race on f1 2021 in MyTeam and i had the fuel bug as well. 50% race distance. Over fuelled by 5 laps and i ran out with 2 laps to go. 

I completed all the practise programmes for the weekend. Unbelievable.

Last years fuel bug was due to using rich fuel mode in the practise programmes. Theres no fuel mix this year in the GPs so how can we have a fuel bug again? This really isnt acceptable and i rarely get annoyed with codemasters bugs, but this....

On 7/14/2021 at 8:02 AM, Corgidad95 said:

https://streamable.com/qhfrby

this first vid is a clip of my race I did and you can see the fuel draining bottom right 

And this is someone else’s same race for comparison, skip to 53:33 to see as he opens his menu periodically and you can see the drastic difference in fuel change 

Don’t see anything wrong TBH. As a matter of fact it’s even going up when you lift and coast. In you clip is keept fluctuating between +2.91 and +2.96 or something like that. 

i fuel my car in 2021 on +0.6 and most of the time I finish with the same amount of fuel. And i don’t drive like a grandma😂

I actually tried to run out of fuel by shifting excessively late for a race but I never have fuel issues

Edited by AlexTT
1 hour ago, dino78 said:

My first race on f1 2021 in MyTeam and i had the fuel bug as well. 50% race distance. Over fuelled by 5 laps and i ran out with 2 laps to go. 

I completed all the practise programmes for the weekend. Unbelievable.

Last years fuel bug was due to using rich fuel mode in the practise programmes. Theres no fuel mix this year in the GPs so how can we have a fuel bug again? This really isnt acceptable and i rarely get annoyed with codemasters bugs, but this....

I believe lean is available in the practice sessions? If so my hunch is that the 'bug' may be players using this for the critical practice programme without realising...

My next race is Canada, ive simed all the practise sessions and will instead go straight into qualifying. I want to see if the bug repeats if i dont do any practise sessions but get the game to sim them/complete them for me.

If it does repeat then the race after i will do all the practise sessions bit not use lean mix to see what happens. It feels like f1 2020 when a few of us managed to get the fuel bug to repeat consistently after some trial and error.

• Like 1

So no fuel issues at all in canada. Makes me think the fuel issue is down to using 'lean' mix in practise for the tyre and fuel objective. One of them asks you to do an entire lap on lean fuel or something. I think thats the bug that causes the fuel to drain in the race until you run out.

For next race im going to do the tyre and fuel objective and do the requirement to do a single lap on lean mix. Cant remember exactly what it was called.

Edited by dino78
  • Like 1
On 7/21/2021 at 9:57 PM, dino78 said:

So no fuel issues at all in canada. Makes me think the fuel issue is down to using 'lean' mix in practise for the tyre and fuel objective. One of them asks you to do an entire lap on lean fuel or something. I think thats the bug that causes the fuel to drain in the race until you run out.

For next race im going to do the tyre and fuel objective and do the requirement to do a single lap on lean mix. Cant remember exactly what it was called.

I think it may be those practice programs, and specifically the bonus objectives in the race strategy. I just started a myteam save and after overfueling the car by 1 lap I was already 1 lap down after 5 laps and even taking corners ridiculously slow resulted in losing fuel because it just gets drained super fast on the straights. But I remember that in the race strategy program I had an objective to do a lap with below average tyre wear. The only way to succeed was to drive a lap insanely slowly on hard tyres and I think on low engine mode and losing about 1% tyre wear. Even though I failed that race strategy program it still counted the bonus objective as completed. So after that I did a proper race strategy program to complete it. But I guess somehow those bonus objectives still count towards the calculated strategy, regardless of if you hit the target time or not.

Edit 1: I'm restarting the session using the default strategy this time. Somehow with minimum fuel in the car it still says I have 3.6 laps extra fuel in the tank. There does seem to be a huge gap between expected fuel load. From 33-53 on personalised to 46-66 on default. I'm really starting to suspect those bonus objectives are the issue.

Edit 2: Ok, the fuel prediction is still off by a mile. It's better but even on the default strategy fuel is draining fast and after 4 laps I went from +3.6 laps to +2.6 laps. Something is definitely off. I'm not driving any differently from last years game (because I haven't played it that much yet I'm even a bit more cautious), but somehow the fuel consumption is insane. Last year I could do a 50% race at maybe +1 lap or so, maybe half a lap more, and I would finish with .1 laps left. And that includes using rich mix here and there and maybe a lap in lean.

Edit 3: Booted up a 50% race at bahrain in grand prix mode in an alpha tauri (closest to the myteam car with a honda engine) and after starting with +2 laps after 4 laps it was at +1.88 laps. Something is definitely wrong with the practice programs.

Edited by GnrDreagon

Guys, I play on ps5 with dualsense, for me it's difficult to manage this fuel situation so I realized the only ways to compensate for the lack of fuel mix is the gearbox (in dualsense it's almost impossible to be competitive with gears without be automatic) or fill the deposit with 6 or 7 more laps than the race itself (I play 50%) if the race has 30 laps I have to fill the deposit for 38 laps, which makes the car super heavy you know if there is a prospect of an update, I don't believe... or anything else you can adapt?

7 minutes ago, NRA779 said:

Guys, I play on ps5 with dualsense, for me it's difficult to manage this fuel situation so I realized the only ways to compensate for the lack of fuel mix is the gearbox (in dualsense it's almost impossible to be competitive with gears without be automatic) or fill the deposit with 6 or 7 more laps than the race itself (I play 50%) if the race has 30 laps I have to fill the deposit for 38 laps, which makes the car super heavy you know if there is a prospect of an update, I don't believe... or anything else you can adapt?

If it's a bug, I hope so, I've done all the free practice goals... if not, it's difficult because without being at the wheel it's complicated to match and be competitive, but I speak for myself, thank you in advance

One guaranteed way to avoid the fuel bug is to allow the practise programmes to be simulated. No fuel issues then.

If you do want to do the practise sessions yourself, avoid any objective that requires you to run the car in lean fuel mix.

10 minutes ago, dino78 said:

One guaranteed way to avoid the fuel bug is to allow the practise programmes to be simulated. No fuel issues then.

If you do want to do the practise sessions yourself, avoid any objective that requires you to run the car in lean fuel mix.

Unfortunately that means that you have huge power unit wear because it will run your car for the full session.