Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 first impressions

Hey everyone,

I was totally hyped for the new game and as an experienced league driver my focus lies on multiplayer mostly.. and regarding that I think the game might be big step backwards.

Here are some of my first impressions:

- white background: whoever thought this was a good idea.. especially in the dark it's just an eye killer

- settings menus: just like last year a lot of settings require one or more clicks more than before.. 

- inside a multiplayer lobby. To get the info regarding tracks, corner cutting strength, driver aid settings u now need to click like a dozen times..

- first Lobby I entered, the lobby had RPM sound bugs for lot of players again..

All in all I am very disappointed right now.

• Agree 6
  • Disagree 1

I can live with the fact that the Classic Cars have been removed, and also that the new tracks will come later, but what really annoys me is that we have the F2 drivers from 2019 and the F1 drivers from 2020 incuding Shanghai track in Breaking Point, but they are not available in myTeam driver pool.
This also has nothing to do with licence issues, these contents are in the game and therefore licensed.

And you can't even name your team Renault or Honda.
In addition, the logos still look terrible, and the sponsors cannot be designed in multiple colours, which would have had potential.

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, Oesi345 said:

Hey everyone,

I was totally hyped for the new game and as an experienced league driver my focus lies on multiplayer mostly.. and regarding that I think the game might be big step backwards.

- white background: whoever thought this was a good idea.. especially in the dark it's just an eye killer

- settings menus: just like last year a lot of settings require one or more clicks more than before.. 

- inside a multiplayer lobby. To get the info regarding tracks, corner cutting strength, driver aid settings u now need to click like a dozen times..

- first Lobby I entered, the lobby had RPM sound bugs for lot of players again..

But you got braking point bro. Who cares if 50% of players join and immediately quit an unranked lobby because they didn't read that traction control was turned off?  

Edited by ChicagoSeminole
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Agree about the white background, that was an awful choice. I'll have to turn off HDR due to the eyestrain from the white background. Maybe EA's influence? They've bright backgrounds in the majority of their games. At least give us a dark theme option.

• Agree 3

Pretty underwhelming, as I expected. 

- For some reason I have to Alt + Tab to the game after it launches for the game to register my “press any button” attempts on my g29

So this seems to be intermittent, 2 out of 3 times I launched the game in steam I had to alt + tab out of the “press any button” screen & back again for the game to register my button presses, but the last time I launched the game it worked straight away (and the intro video also played this time around too, funnily enough); 

- Having my g29 shifter in first gear stops the game from automatically selecting 1st gear once the clutch is engaged & the revs rise to the correct range before the race starts. Same as last year, despite there not being any content (eg classic cars) that use the shifter in the game anymore;

- On screen messages do not change to reflect the buttons you have mapped for an action (eg. Going in for my first pitstop, the game displays a “press L2 msg” smack bang in the centre of the screen to engage the pit limiter - but I’ve mapped my pit limiter to R3);

- Solo > Grand Prix mode defaults to 5 lap races & I can’t for the life of me find where to adjust the race distance (Am I blind?? a lil help, pls?) NEVERMIND, I found it… Bundled in with the “session length” settings on the weekend structure menu;

- Graphically there seems to be more detail in the textures giving it a more “gritty” feel than 2020, which I’m on the fence about whether it’s an improvement or not atm because performance seems to have gone backwards;

- Addition of the leaderboard during replays is welcome but watching the replay itself there is a noticeable stutter every time the (trackside) camera changes. Interestingly the stutter is not evident if you’re watching in fast forward - turning graphics detail down seems to have SFA impact on the stuttering;

- Driving certainly feels different, but the car actually seems lighter to me & I’m finding changes of direction super responsive initially & then there’s understeer. Maybe it’s the default setup, I dunno;

- The look left/right/behind view buttons when you’re not in control of the car (say, just after a crash) are still there just like last year. 

- With the exception of a new camera angle in between the nose & cockpit cameras, there are no new/better angles available to use whenever I want DESPITE them being used all over race highlights & marketing material….

- Very few new cutscenes & SFA variation in the cutscenes shown;

I’ve got about 40mins of playing time left until Steam won’t give me a refund anymore so I’m still undecided but am leaning towards opting TF out because Braking Point is clearly where the bulk of their efforts went & I’ve already fast forwarded my way right through that poor attempt at entertainment  thanks to the legion of dimfluencers on YT even before my copy had finished installing 🤦🏽‍♂️

Edited by Guga_Cyr
Musings, spelling & grammar
  • Agree 3

very early impressions, but here's what I got thus far.

Pros:

- visually it's impressive as usual.  Nice to have those extra details back we seemed to have lost last year

- The new driving/handling model does feel better.  Provides a nice adjustment to your driving style but adds a nice touch of what I feel is realism with the car having extra "weight".  Braking seems alot stronger too

- The core experience is still overall solid so take that list of everthing you love about driving in this series and add it to this list of pros, because it's still one heck of a great F1 racing game IMO.

- The AI work seems really well done so far too.  Having some real nice battles.

Cons:

- Only 3 career mode save slots for My Team and Driver Career COMBINED. Yes, not 3 each like last year.  ONLY 3.   I suspect this is due to the addition of 2 player career, and braking point taking up save slots, but the better question is how antiquated is this game that you are limited in game save slots?  I mean, its 20 freakin 21 now Codies.

- 3 missing tracks.  I know, I know; they're coming in an update.  It has to be listed as a con right now though simply because the career mode season is just set at 20 races right now.  It just doesn't feel right.

- Replays.  They look so sluggish and slow, and blurry.  I'd be shocked if they're even hitting 30fps.

- New R&D screens.  I dont like them.  They don't make it easier to navigate.  IMO it's worse than the old R&D tree.

- no further development of My Team mode over last year.  Not even new sponsors by the looks of things, maybe 1 or 2.  It wont take long for it to feel like you're just playing your team mode from last year after some major rule changes.

Edited by petro1319
  • Agree 1

Been paying for a few hours and I"m disapointed in the game.

Doing my team at the moment.

In the practice sessions there are blue flags but none in the race itself.

Only 3 objectives to do, so your skipping the rest of practice sessions.

Hoping it will get better over time.

5 hours ago, Oesi345 said:

Hey everyone,

That is only 1/100 of it, mate. Good points though. Looks like codies got a hundred “yes people” for their beta testers. I didn’t get picked because they knew I would raise h3ll. This game is inconceivable. 

• Agree 6
  • Disagree 1

Does Codemasters even watch real F1?

Why doesn't the AI top runners attempts Q2 with medium tyres?  If I get into Q3 with mediums I automatically have a 25 second advantage because I'll 1-stop the race and all the AI is on 2-stop.  Can Codemasters please refer me to a race where the top runners all did 2-stop in the last year or two?

This really breaks the mode or any mode...as soon as my car is fast enough to get into Q3 with mediums I'll easily win the race.  And don't tell me to just do Q2 on softs...it isn't my responsibility to have house rules to cover their laziness.

I was told by admin that AI strategy is much improved this year...I haven't seen anything yet.

Also the top right box showing your delta is useless.  Why don't they change it into a box, similar to the boxes we see on TV at the bottom, where we can see our lap time compared to pole or the danger zone?  In qualifying I don't care if I beat my delta, I care if I beat the pole time or danger zone time...

The green/yellow/purple bar at the bottom already tells me if I'm faster or slower than my delta.  I can also already see my position on the left hand side and don't need it on the right hand side again. 

Honestly feels as if there is no passion going into these games...

But hey we've got a story mode that is completely not replayable...whoop...whoop...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 6
2 hours ago, R9NALD09 said:

Does Codemasters even watch real F1?

Why doesn't the AI top runners attempts Q2 with medium tyres?  If I get into Q3 with mediums I automatically have a 25 second advantage because I'll 1-stop the race and all the AI is on 2-stop.  Can Codemasters please refer me to a race where the top runners all did 2-stop in the last year or two?

This really breaks the mode or any mode...as soon as my car is fast enough to get into Q3 with mediums I'll easily win the race.  And don't tell me to just do Q2 on softs...it isn't my responsibility to have house rules to cover their laziness.

I was told by admin that AI strategy is much improved this year...I haven't seen anything yet.

Also the top right box showing your delta is useless.  Why don't they change it into a box, similar to the boxes we see on TV at the bottom, where we can see our lap time compared to pole or the danger zone?  In qualifying I don't care if I beat my delta, I care if I beat the pole time or danger zone time...

The green/yellow/purple bar at the bottom already tells me if I'm faster or slower than my delta.  I can also already see my position on the left hand side and don't need it on the right hand side again. 

Honestly feels as if there is no passion going into these games...

But hey we've got a story mode that is completely not replayable...whoop...whoop...

f12021.jpg

• Like 1

I absolutely love the way the car handles now. That is a serious improvement.

Another good thing is the quick practice to reduce the boredom of the same old practice programmes. I only wish they'd allowed us to turn off claire's questions after each session as well. These are VERY repetitive and could do with an option to remove them. (Or even a change of scenery/interviewer) Something!

Braking point is this years gimmick to entice the netflix audience to the game. Fair enough I suppose, but going forward, please don't neglect other areas of the game for things like this. I don't think it's a healthy direction for the game to take.

Edited by stevetemp7
  • Agree 3

Handling feels really great. The AI is a bit more aware of your car I think but needs more races to make a final verdict.

Can't wait for the missing tracks.

• Agree 1

I did want to compliment some of the under the hood stuff I saw with career mode. Specifically that you can adjust the rate at which you get resource points so you can earn them faster or slower than the default now. Same with acclaim, ect. There also seem to be more realism options in order to help the player tailor exactly how realistic they want the handling to actually be. It's easy to hate on what they got wrong but I never really see more options as a bad thing in terms of playability options. 

That said the inability to play a full season of career mode out of the box really makes me want to not bother with it until the missing tracks are added. I hope that it done quickly.

Had a quick go this morning before work.

First impressions of the graphics on the PlayStation 5 very poor looks worse than last year. Doesn't feel like a lot 60fps either?

Ai did seem to be faster and seem to be better at battling. Enjoyed the Handling feels more realistic.

Will need to have more of a go. but a little bit disappointed in the graphics on PS5

6 hours ago, Guga_Cyr said:

Pretty underwhelming, as I expected. 

- For some reason I have to Alt + Tab to the game after it launches for the game to register my “press any button” attempts on my g29

So this seems to be intermittent, 2 out of 3 times I launched the game in steam I had to alt + tab out of the “press any button” screen & back again for the game to register my button presses, but the last time I launched the game it worked straight away (and the intro video also played this time around too, funnily enough); 

- Having my g29 shifter in first gear stops the game from automatically selecting 1st gear once the clutch is engaged & the revs rise to the correct range before the race starts. Same as last year, despite there not being any content (eg classic cars) that use the shifter in the game anymore;

- On screen messages do not change to reflect the buttons you have mapped for an action (eg. Going in for my first pitstop, the game displays a “press L2 msg” smack bang in the centre of the screen to engage the pit limiter - but I’ve mapped my pit limiter to R3);

- Solo > Grand Prix mode defaults to 5 lap races & I can’t for the life of me find where to adjust the race distance (Am I blind?? a lil help, pls?) NEVERMIND, I found it… Bundled in with the “session length” settings on the weekend structure menu;

- Graphically there seems to be more detail in the textures giving it a more “gritty” feel than 2020, which I’m on the fence about whether it’s an improvement or not atm because performance seems to have gone backwards;

- Addition of the leaderboard during replays is welcome but watching the replay itself there is a noticeable stutter every time the (trackside) camera changes. Interestingly the stutter is not evident if you’re watching in fast forward - turning graphics detail down seems to have SFA impact on the stuttering;

- Driving certainly feels different, but the car actually seems lighter to me & I’m finding changes of direction super responsive initially & then there’s understeer. Maybe it’s the default setup, I dunno;

- The look left/right/behind view buttons when you’re not in control of the car (say, just after a crash) are still there just like last year. 

- With the exception of a new camera angle in between the nose & cockpit cameras, there are no new/better angles available to use whenever I want DESPITE them being used all over race highlights & marketing material….

- Very few new cutscenes & SFA variation in the cutscenes shown;

I’ve got about 40mins of playing time left until Steam won’t give me a refund anymore so I’m still undecided but am leaning towards opting TF out because Braking Point is clearly where the bulk of their efforts went & I’ve already fast forwarded my way right through that poor attempt at entertainment  thanks to the legion of dimfluencers on YT even before my copy had finished installing 🤦🏽‍♂️

Spot on, agree with all your points. Especially the handling, it feels like I'm driving on ice

29 minutes ago, KillingJoke197 said:

Ice, really? If anything the grip is increased especially with medium traction control.

mmmm. may have to try Med traction, normally play full coz im **** , but if a bit more grip i'll give it a go.🙃

Yeh , I mean i play on full traction because on Medium its just too difficult for me , but if you say there is slightly more grip now on Medium , it may be enough for me to handle it .. if that makes sense lol