Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 first impressions

6 hours ago, ShelbyUSA said:

Looks like codies got a hundred “yes people” for their beta testers.

Every year you see people bemoaning the fact that issues flagged by beta testers hadn't been resolved at launch. Testers can only highlight issues, not fix them.

• Agree 1
8 hours ago, Guga_Cyr said:

Pretty underwhelming, as I expected. 

- For some reason I have to Alt + Tab to the game after it launches for the game to register my “press any button” attempts on my g29

So this seems to be intermittent, 2 out of 3 times I launched the game in steam I had to alt + tab out of the “press any button” screen & back again for the game to register my button presses, but the last time I launched the game it worked straight away (and the intro video also played this time around too, funnily enough); 

- Having my g29 shifter in first gear stops the game from automatically selecting 1st gear once the clutch is engaged & the revs rise to the correct range before the race starts. Same as last year, despite there not being any content (eg classic cars) that use the shifter in the game anymore;

- On screen messages do not change to reflect the buttons you have mapped for an action (eg. Going in for my first pitstop, the game displays a “press L2 msg” smack bang in the centre of the screen to engage the pit limiter - but I’ve mapped my pit limiter to R3);

- Solo > Grand Prix mode defaults to 5 lap races & I can’t for the life of me find where to adjust the race distance (Am I blind?? a lil help, pls?) NEVERMIND, I found it… Bundled in with the “session length” settings on the weekend structure menu;

- Graphically there seems to be more detail in the textures giving it a more “gritty” feel than 2020, which I’m on the fence about whether it’s an improvement or not atm because performance seems to have gone backwards;

- Addition of the leaderboard during replays is welcome but watching the replay itself there is a noticeable stutter every time the (trackside) camera changes. Interestingly the stutter is not evident if you’re watching in fast forward - turning graphics detail down seems to have SFA impact on the stuttering;

- Driving certainly feels different, but the car actually seems lighter to me & I’m finding changes of direction super responsive initially & then there’s understeer. Maybe it’s the default setup, I dunno;

- The look left/right/behind view buttons when you’re not in control of the car (say, just after a crash) are still there just like last year. 

- With the exception of a new camera angle in between the nose & cockpit cameras, there are no new/better angles available to use whenever I want DESPITE them being used all over race highlights & marketing material….

- Very few new cutscenes & SFA variation in the cutscenes shown;

I’ve got about 40mins of playing time left until Steam won’t give me a refund anymore so I’m still undecided but am leaning towards opting TF out because Braking Point is clearly where the bulk of their efforts went & I’ve already fast forwarded my way right through that poor attempt at entertainment  thanks to the legion of dimfluencers on YT even before my copy had finished installing 🤦🏽‍♂️

The game hasn’t even officially released yet and you want a refund? Chill TF out dude. Play the game or Dont, nobody cares. But you complaining isn’t helping anyone 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

First impression? Disappointment!

No visible graphical enhancements on Series X, nearly no faster loading times with an SSD.

Raytracing? Where? When? What?

As team lead and big boss in MyTeam i still cant decide about the strategy of my team member? So i am only the team lead of half of my team?

Player Faces still look like garbage with low textures.

New training programs are bad.

New R&D is confusing.

F1 2021 as F1 2020 makes my Series X controller make force feedback sounds as if the controller is broken or has some loose parts in it.

Deluxe Edition Icons (the name suggests that those ary icons like symbols and not team mates you can hire) look ugly (but still better than the player faces) and why the hell can only i recruit them and not the AI teams?

Podium Pass...now with even sillier podium gestures! And stickers!

Braking Point...waste of your time and money. The story and representation is awkward, Devon Butler is a guy no one has missed.

EA Sports and EA..so whats next? Ultimate Team in F1? The Codemasters forums are moving over to the EA Answer HQ, like all other EA forums before did?

No Tatiana Caldéron for my all woman team anymore :(((

The white background is burning my eyes.

The options menu is to confusing.

Still a fun game but i expected more! 2021 feels like you only focused on Braking Point and Podium Pass and ignored the many flaws of 2020.

Edited by Sugandhalaya
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1
4 minutes ago, Sugandhalaya said:

First impression? Disappointment!

No visible graphical enhancements on Series X, nearly no faster loading times with an SSD.

Raytracing? Where? When? What?

As team lead and big boss in MyTeam i still cant decide about the strategy of my team member? So i am only the team lead of half of my team?

Player Faces still look like garbage with low textures.

New training programs are bad.

New R&D is confusing.

F1 2021 as F1 2020 makes my Series X controller make force feedback sounds as if the controller is broken or has some loose parts in it.

Deluxe Edition Icons (the name suggests that those ary icons like symbols and not team mates you can hire) look ugly (but still better than the player faces) and why the hell can only i recruit them and not the AI teams?

Podium Pass...now with even sillier podium gestures! And stickers!

Braking Point...waste of your time and money. The story and representation is awkward, Devon Butler is a guy no one has missed.

EA Sports and EA..so whats next? Ultimate Team in F1? The Codemasters forums are moving over to the EA Answer HQ, like all other EA forums before did?

No Tatiana Caldéron for my all woman team anymore :(((

The white background is burning my eyes.

The options menu is to confusing.

Still a fun game but i expected more! 2021 feels like you only focused on Braking Point and Podium Pass and ignored the many flaws of 2020.

Ray Tracing in showrooms, replays cut scenes. Next gen graphical enhancements are definitley there, can't expect an enormous jump on a cross gen game with a 6 year old engine, there's more detail, the damage is more detailed on the next gen versions, lightning is clearly better. Haven't tried braking point yet but your view is at odds to everyone else's? I guess I'll have to try it and see.

For me, a lot of the flaws of 2020 have been rectified, much more responsive and feel slightly stiffer, in a good way. Kerbs have more character, sounds are vastly improved. No Calderón is expected surely given that she isn't in F2 any more. 

19 minutes ago, magpieracer48 said:

No Calderón is expected surely given that she isn't in F2 any more. 

And so are Coulthard, Senna & Schumacher. But you can recruit them. And Calderón is part of Braking Point (at least at F2) so she is still in the game. Would have been nice if it would have been possible to recruit her in MyTeam as well. Why? Why not!

Rest of your post sounds like a quote from marketing 😉

I've done my first race of a driver career on the PS5. My thoughts are as follows:

• The handling model portrays the feeling of less rear der force versus last years game in keeping with the latest regulation. 
    • Learning which kerbs to avoid is essential and means that tracks need to be re-learnt accordingly (for instance do not use the kerb on the exit of T7 at Bahrain)
  • Car models and tracks look goods, but aren't a huge step up from last years enhanced game in 4K
  • The AI seem quite racy and suitably aggressive. They aren't afraid to go for a move which is good.
  • New damage model and only having the overtake button available (i.e. no rich mix) makes the racing more tactical and interesting. It means dive bombing is very risky compared to what it is.
  • Sliders for career are really promising
    • could we get a slider for frequency of rule/R&D resets to go with the others?
  • The default adaptive trigger settings on PS5 feel really weird to me. I turned the settings down to weak which was much more to my liking. I don't really like the adaptive triggers on Fifa either, so that may just be a personal thing to me. 
  • A dark skin option would be appreciated please as the light version is quite bright
  • The game could really do with some more helmets and much better customization option for your driver. I'm fortunate that I do look surprisingly look one of the default characters though!
  • On first glance the new R&D system is harder to understand, however, I want to give it more time before I make any judgement on whether its worse than last years game. One positive is that you can't just pick the fastest route to drag reduction, weight reduction and ERS developments, which is what everyone did in previous versions.

Overall my first impression was reasonably positive. I didn't suffer any crashes and the game loaded quickly on the PS5 (flashbacks are rapid as well). 

• Agree 1
7 minutes ago, Sugandhalaya said:

And so are Coulthard, Senna & Schumacher. But you can recruit them. And Calderón is part of Braking Point (at least at F2) so she is still in the game. Would have been nice if it would have been possible to recruit her in MyTeam as well. Why? Why not!

Indeed I just can't understand why she wasn't included in the icons pack

• Haha 2

Has anyone played around with safety car frequency option? This might be the only reason I buy this game because safety car has been broken for me in 2020 since release. It just doesn't come out. Twice in 3 seasons...

See I disagree with that. I’m struggling with Med TC this year and find I have less grip out of slow/med corners. I notice the default set ups are quite different to last year, so maybe it’s the set up but I’m defo struggling this year. 

I had some fun with my mates and the Safety Car. Basically seeing what happens when.

If you are lapped and Second in the Safety Car Queue, You will NOT be unlapped

Next thing about Safety Car. If you are Not the Leader, but the first to the Safety Car. You will be allowed to drive past it, because it's waiting on the Leader. (Safety Car will actually be standing at a certain spot on the Tracks and wait)

Ai is still disregarding some Rules about Safety Cars. Mainly overtaking under it and not getting penalized. (I'm literally nearly crashing into the Safety Car and suddenly a Red Bull rushes past me and is 1st...)

The Unlapping really has to be a thing. Race restarts and someone suddenly getting Blue Flagged to death is ridiculous.

1 Extra Lap of Safety Car in which cars can overtake and try to unlap. At the end of that lap let it come in. Is it really that difficult?

48 minutes ago, Sugandhalaya said:

Rest of your post sounds like a quote from marketing 😉

Well given they're part of the icons pack, I hardly think she fits the bill there. Given that the 2019 F2 and 2020 F1 cars are inaccessible outside of the Braking Point mode, it's hardly a surprise.

And thanks. I am a professional sales person, its nice to see those skills translate. It may sound like marketing, but it's also my opinion, coming to F1 2021 with over 300 hours logged 2020, I feel I can compare and contrast fairly accurately and with a degree of confidence. 

Admittedly very early impressions but I have started an F2 full season to lead to F1, it does look like it will have no bearing on the F1 career, a bit disappointed by that. It would be nice to have offers from F1 teams depending on performance rather than being able to choose Mercedes or Red Bull straight away.

Maybe have this as a customisable option, give players the choice whether want to be able have their pick of teams or earn it. 

Also it's not this year's F2 line up even though it seems to be this year's schedule. But the car handled really well even with just the default balanced set up. The AI level seems similar to last year. There's an issue with the radio messages not coming through the headphones (reported) but other than that it seems very good. 

Edited by neiluk03
  • Agree 1
1 minute ago, neiluk03 said:

Admittedly very early impressions but I have started an F2 full season to lead to F1, it does look like it will have no bearing on the F1 career, a bit disappointed by that. It would be nice to have offers from F1 teams depending on performance rather than being able to choose Mercedes or Red Bull straight away.

Maybe have this as a customisable option, give players the choice whether want to be able have their pick of teams or earn it. 

Also it's not this year's F2 line up even though it seems to be this year's schedule. But the car handled really well even with just the default balanced set up. The AI level seems similar to last year. There's an issue with the radio messages not coming through the headphones (reported) but other than that it seems very good. 

Game always launches with last season's F2 - So MyTeam can fill the driver market. Current season F2 will be patched in, probably in 3/4 months. 

1 minute ago, KNT2011 said:

Game always launches with last season's F2 - So MyTeam can fill the driver market. Current season F2 will be patched in, probably in 3/4 months. 

Ah OK, thanks for this

• Agree 1
3 minutes ago, neiluk03 said:

I agree it would be nice to have a "realistic offers" option for the driver career. I understand why there's free choice in the sense that those with time constraints can enjoy the top teams but an option at least would be cool.

18 minutes ago, TrenteR said:

I had some fun with my mates and the Safety Car. Basically seeing what happens when.

If you are lapped and Second in the Safety Car Queue, You will NOT be unlapped

Next thing about Safety Car. If you are Not the Leader, but the first to the Safety Car. You will be allowed to drive past it, because it's waiting on the Leader. (Safety Car will actually be standing at a certain spot on the Tracks and wait)

Ai is still disregarding some Rules about Safety Cars. Mainly overtaking under it and not getting penalized. (I'm literally nearly crashing into the Safety Car and suddenly a Red Bull rushes past me and is 1st...)

The Unlapping really has to be a thing. Race restarts and someone suddenly getting Blue Flagged to death is ridiculous.

1 Extra Lap of Safety Car in which cars can overtake and try to unlap. At the end of that lap let it come in. Is it really that difficult?

The inability to unlap yourself was bugged during beta, unfortunately that is just how the game is built and wont be fixed as far as I know.

8 hours ago, Neomo said:

It looks like story mode took all time of development.Is there any changes copared to F1 2020 career mode?

The R&D screens are different.  That's about it really IMO.   My Team is basically unchanged too.  Maybe a few new sponsors to use, new liveries, but other than that it'll get stale pretty fast because it's the same too.

As others have said; Braking Point has clearly caused the rest of the game to take a back seat this year.  I'd have rather seen them focus more on the QOL improvements that have been necessary for years now, and see them expand on My Team mode rather than neglecting the core modes of the game to make what sounds like a one and done story mode. It's likely a cool addition; sure but I dont buy and play sports games for that kind of scripted thing.  Id rather be immersed in the core game modes of my team & driver career; especially now that you can only run 3 saves total combine over each mode.

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Every year you see people bemoaning the fact that issues flagged by beta testers hadn't been resolved at launch. Testers can only highlight issues, not fix them.

True. 

2 hours ago, petro1319 said:

The R&D screens are different.  That's about it really IMO.   My Team is basically unchanged too.  Maybe a few new sponsors to use, new liveries, but other than that it'll get stale pretty fast because it's the same too.

As others have said; Braking Point has clearly caused the rest of the game to take a back seat this year.  I'd have rather seen them focus more on the QOL improvements that have been necessary for years now, and see them expand on My Team mode rather than neglecting the core modes of the game to make what sounds like a one and done story mode. It's likely a cool addition; sure but I dont buy and play sports games for that kind of scripted thing.  Id rather be immersed in the core game modes of my team & driver career; especially now that you can only run 3 saves total combine over each mode.

So, basically as a MyTeam player I can save €60 by watching for free Braking Point on YouTube and playing F1 2020 with my comfortable 6 slots?

GG Codemasters/EA

• Agree 1
4 minutes ago, DutchRacer87 said:

Is the game already out? I see loads of comments already, but isn’t it suppose to be out bij July 16th?

Preorders of the deluxe edition gave early access yesterday

• Agree 1

Scripted stories have no place in sports games, imho. Not a single sports game has pulled it off succesfully. It's more fun creating your own narrative in myteam/driver career modes, expanding rivalry features would be one way of going about it. Just give us more tools in that regard, creating a F1/F2 sandbox if you will.

I haven't played the game far enough yet but from the limited amount of playing I did, the racing itself is fun as it always is. The SC needs some work (check out various Youtubers where the SC doesn't pick up the leaders first time round, etc.) Kerbs are more unforgiving, not impossible but more dangerous. The flat ones are alright, it's the slanted ones that are dangerous. Difficulty seems to have been increased slightly or maybe I just suck at Bahrein, that's a definite possibility. I like the added difficulty options in the game regarding career modes, even the part where you can delegate R&D to the AI. I like I can create a driver and go as realistic as I can be in this game, I'm not sure how much influence a real driver has on the R&D process but I'm sure it's not like: this week we'll develop new bargeboards.

All in all, I'm having fun and would like some added features in the future. (toggable pitboard when crossing s/f)

2 hours ago, petro1319 said:

I am still disappointed that, as the leader in MyTeam, i cannot give my TEAMmate orders for tactics, training, tires etc. It is my team and half of it is doing what they want! 😕

5 minutes ago, Z4N3 said:

even the part where you can delegate R&D to the AI

Can you also skip/simulate practice sessions without taking too big of a hit at anything because of this? Like I don't mind losing a few resource points, the gain on those has been op anyway but if you simulate practice sessions in 2020 the wear on your components is just ridiculous.

Edited by Zviko
Just now, Zviko said:

Can you also skip/simulate practice session without taking too big of a hit at anything because of this? Like I don't mind losing a few resource points, the gain on those has been op anyway but if you simulate practice sessions in 2020 the wear on your components is just ridiculous.

There's this new quick practice which is somewhat of a mix between simulating and skipping. In it you basically devote timeslots to the 3 practice programs and let the AI handle it, and it gives you enough resource points (btw there's an option where you can toggle how fast/slow you gain these RP). I'm not sure what it does to the wear though, i havent played that much of it yet; just the one 100% distance race

• Like 1