Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 first impressions

19 minutes ago, Sugandhalaya said:

I am still disappointed that, as the leader in MyTeam, i cannot give my TEAMmate orders for tactics, training, tires etc. It is my team and half of it is doing what they want! 😕

Well I hear you on that.  I know we had several threads around here last year about improvements for My Team and how they can expand upon it.  Hiring team engineers, mechanics for pit crews, more in depth facility upgrades, etc. etc.  All things to expand on the nice base they put together, but yeah... I guess "Braking Point" and Two player career took priority this year over building upon the great new mode they gave us.   Can't wait to have 100 million sitting in the bank in year 4 of the mode with nothing to spend it on because everything is upgraded/maxed out.  There's so much potential in this mode.

Just now, petro1319 said:

I know we had several threads around here last year about improvements for My Team and how they can expand upon it

It seems to me though that "myteam" career got the least of love in this iteration of the game. The only changes seem to be the settings concerning technical faults and that you can actually influence everyones rate of money and experience gain, but that is about it. In other areas, like the R&D department, it feels like its worse this year than last years, I really like that development tree. Typical example where game developers renew something that is not needed to overhaul, rather than investing that time and money into something that adds to the game (see menu color, also...).

Compared to the short story mode, myteam is a replayable blast though, and it really should be the focus of upcoming patches, maybe Codies can save it for 2021, still. 

13 hours ago, Neomo said:

Does the F2 in career mode make sense?Does your performance in F2 depend on the contracts for F1?

3 hours ago, neiluk03 said:

Admittedly very early impressions but I have started an F2 full season to lead to F1, it does look like it will have no bearing on the F1 career, a bit disappointed by that. It would be nice to have offers from F1 teams depending on performance rather than being able to choose Mercedes or Red Bull straight away.

Maybe have this as a customisable option, give players the choice whether want to be able have their pick of teams or earn it. 

Also it's not this year's F2 line up even though it seems to be this year's schedule. But the car handled really well even with just the default balanced set up. The AI level seems similar to last year. There's an issue with the radio messages not coming through the headphones (reported) but other than that it seems very good. 

3 hours ago, magpieracer48 said:

I agree it would be nice to have a "realistic offers" option for the driver career. I understand why there's free choice in the sense that those with time constraints can enjoy the top teams but an option at least would be cool.

There is an option!!!!

When starting your career in F2 there's an option for F1 contracts, it is set to easy by default (which means offers from all F1 teams). If you change it to medium when the F1 team select screen appears at the end of your F2 season some of the F1 teams are not selectable (it makes a beep noise when you select teams that are unavailable)

I played through an 3 race F2 season and retired from every race to see what happens. When I got to F1 i could only choose from Williams, Haas, Alfa Romeo and Aston Martin (I was a Mercedes driver).

• Agree 2
Just now, Sadler said:

There is an option!!!!

When starting your career in F2 there's an option for F1 contracts, it is set to easy by default (which means offers from all F1 teams). If you change it to medium when the F1 team select screen appears at the end of your F2 season some of the F1 teams are not selectable (it makes a beep noise when you select teams that are unavailable)

I played through an 3 race F2 season and retired from every race to see what happens. When I got to F1 i could only choose from Williams, Haas, Alfa Romeo and Aston Martin (I was a Mercedes driver).

Ah good to know thanks. Once I know I have the AI set right I will start another full season. 

1 minute ago, neiluk03 said:

Ah good to know thanks. Once I know I have the AI set right I will start another full season. 

Can't remember where the option is but it's definitely there!

• Agree 1
3 hours ago, petro1319 said:

I'd have rather seen them focus more on the QOL improvements that have been necessary for years now, and see them expand on My Team mode rather than neglecting the core modes of the game to make what sounds like a one and done story mode.

You have written what a lot of us are thinking, I guess. Story mode is a flame that is burning bright and fast, but it does not really add to the game. The CGI scenes are awesome though, and I wish we had something like that for our general podium celebrations.

5 hours ago, Sugandhalaya said:

First impression? Disappointment!

No visible graphical enhancements on Series X, nearly no faster loading times with an SSD.

Raytracing? Where? When? What?

As team lead and big boss in MyTeam i still cant decide about the strategy of my team member? So i am only the team lead of half of my team?

Player Faces still look like garbage with low textures.

New training programs are bad.

New R&D is confusing.

F1 2021 as F1 2020 makes my Series X controller make force feedback sounds as if the controller is broken or has some loose parts in it.

Deluxe Edition Icons (the name suggests that those ary icons like symbols and not team mates you can hire) look ugly (but still better than the player faces) and why the hell can only i recruit them and not the AI teams?

Podium Pass...now with even sillier podium gestures! And stickers!

Braking Point...waste of your time and money. The story and representation is awkward, Devon Butler is a guy no one has missed.

EA Sports and EA..so whats next? Ultimate Team in F1? The Codemasters forums are moving over to the EA Answer HQ, like all other EA forums before did?

No Tatiana Caldéron for my all woman team anymore :(((

The white background is burning my eyes.

The options menu is to confusing.

Still a fun game but i expected more! 2021 feels like you only focused on Braking Point and Podium Pass and ignored the many flaws of 2020.

Couldn't agree more especially with the series X part. I think what's clear now is they don't have enough personal to build/fix/create/finalize content in enough time before or after release.

Edited by Chromatic

absolutely love the sim. iv had zero issues with it. played for 4 hours yesterday sim ran great. had hdr on and everything on high no issues. i can alt tab all day long no problems. graphics look amazing gameplay is amazing id give it a 9/10 white back ground stinks on the menu.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, pspps1 said:

So, basically as a MyTeam player I can save €60 by watching for free Braking Point on YouTube and playing F1 2020 with my comfortable 6 slots?

That is not the worst idea, basically, especially so if you invested a lot on items in 2020, like collected the car liveries you really wanted.

1 hour ago, Sadler said:

There is an option!!!!

Yes! Finally i can start in F2 for reason! Thanks

• Agree 1
2 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Daddys cash 😁

In defense of Nikita-boy one has to admit that he did not retire from too many races in F2. Frankly, he finished 5th in his 2nd season, what may be higher than a lot of drivers who made it into F1 (coming from the feeder series) before. Besides he came from 18th the season before, profing he would move into the right direction. Still, compared to other F1 drivers of his generation, it somehow looks as if he just did not belong there, at least not yet. Would have been interesting to see Schwarzmann instead. Will be interesting how long he can hold on to a seat, daddies cash or not^^

Edited by Schneehase
  • Agree 1

Is there any equivalent of the Championship mode for an F1 season since I hear these have been removed?

I always like to just run a traditional style F1 season as a driver in a team and run the full calendar, it would be a shame if this simple game mode is no longer possible. 

2 minutes ago, ma44hew94 said:

Is there any equivalent of the Championship mode for an F1 season since I hear these have been removed?

I always like to just run a traditional style F1 season as a driver in a team and run the full calendar, it would be a shame if this simple game mode is no longer possible. 

Yes if you go to Grand Prix, then tab along to the right it will let you play the championship. 

You just can't play another grand prix in the meantime.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, ma44hew94 said:

Grand prix mode, just add all the tracks and you are able to do a full season.

• Thanks 1

In terms of first impressions; hit and miss, but mostly hit.

I’m not too fussed about the bigger things like missing and incorrect tracks, the incorrect driver stats, performance patches, little bugs here and there and all that jazz.  They are what they are and/or they’ll get fixed eventually, so I can survive. 
It’s the littler things that will most likely be permanent that are minor irritations currently that are dragging it down a little. 
For example; 

Lack of championship modes. I’m aware you can do it via Grand Prix mode but only if you sacrifice your ability to do any other Grand Prix races. Makes podium pass grinding trickier. I remember when there was no real real driver season in one of the older games (2012 maybe?) and people complained then too. 

China not available in MyTeam custom. Now I know it’s not in the official calendar but it is in the game so it’s not a massive leap for inclusion.  Plus, it was never actually cancelled, just postponed so id happily have that instead of Singapore which I am woeful at. (Although I think Singapore is a beautiful track).  Additionally, the season feels short at 20 currently. I’d prefer to keep the actual 23 but with China and two duplicate tracks. Actually, tbh MyTeam itself comes across as ‘the ginger cousin’. It’s there, but doesn’t really look as though too much love and affection went into improving it and it’s fundamentally the same, just marginally inferior in R&D tab. 

The reduction of career spaces from 6 to 3. Last year, I had one normal career and one normal MyTeam. Then I had one podium pass grinder career and one MyTeam podium pass grinder.  Then I had to delete my third MyTeam (RIP Team Lotus save) when my partner wanted to have a go (which naturally fizzled out after like 2 practice sessions).  That’s already 5 saves.   It’s not the end of the world, but less desirable. 
Customisation via podium pass feels like a futile slog. There’s not much that grabs my attention so far.  Like, there’s very little you can’t actually work with if you try, but last year I had 6 different driver/car models each that I liked.   I’m really struggling to piece together one out of the first series so I’ve got to hope things appear in the item shop for the next 60 days.  It’ll get better so a minor gripe.  Literally just making the Icons avatars playable and including their helmet as equippable would shut me up about customisation as I could just be them. 

I like the CAD style of the new R&D, but I prefer the functionality of the old tree.  If there was a hybrid where it was still the tree format but you clicked on the individual upgrade and it had the CAD model, I’d find that a perfect balance.  The tree didn’t overly need changing and was a case of aiming to fix something that wasn’t overly broken and just scratching the paintwork and making it worse.

Claire not only still exists but she’s more annoying than ever with her crush on Devon. 
Tsunoda is like 6 foot tall and his moustache makes me nervous. Giovinazzi looks dead inside. Poor guy.

That being said, I’m enjoying the actual driving part of the game, which is the more important part. It feels much more intricate and satisfying when you get it right. 
Braking Point, im only at Chapter 6 - Mexico but I’m pleasantly surprised.  Like, I didn’t think it would really be my thing, and tbh it isn’t as I could nitpick all day, but it’s harmless fun and I like that you can actually feel how much effort went into it. 
I’ve only watched the one MyTeam intro cutscene but it feels a step forward so far. Will Buxton is an underrated inclusion.

Tbh, I could list all the things I love about the game but actual professional reviews point all that out so I’d just be a parrot for more relevant people that hold the same positive opinions that I do. 
Naturally this is just a first impression which always come across as harsh as it’s easier to point out things you don’t like, over the things you do like. 
My first impression is that the meat of the game (the gameplay itself (driving)) has moved forwards but the accompanying vegetables (the reduced modes, the reduced variety, the stagnant customisation) has moved backwards. 
I gave last year a 9.5/10 and the year before a 9 and id say this is between them so a 9.2 maybe?  Still an astounding piece of work. 

Note; All opinions subject to change as this is a Day One Opinion on a game that hasn’t been updated in the primary patch.  It can only get better.  I’m happy to expand/debate on all opinions if people explain why I’m incorrect about things but I’ve tried to stay balanced. 

• Agree 1
20 hours ago, R9NALD09 said:

Does Codemasters even watch real F1?

Why doesn't the AI top runners attempts Q2 with medium tyres?  If I get into Q3 with mediums I automatically have a 25 second advantage because I'll 1-stop the race and all the AI is on 2-stop.  Can Codemasters please refer me to a race where the top runners all did 2-stop in the last year or two?

This really breaks the mode or any mode...as soon as my car is fast enough to get into Q3 with mediums I'll easily win the race.  And don't tell me to just do Q2 on softs...it isn't my responsibility to have house rules to cover their laziness.

I was told by admin that AI strategy is much improved this year...I haven't seen anything yet.

Also the top right box showing your delta is useless.  Why don't they change it into a box, similar to the boxes we see on TV at the bottom, where we can see our lap time compared to pole or the danger zone?  In qualifying I don't care if I beat my delta, I care if I beat the pole time or danger zone time...

The green/yellow/purple bar at the bottom already tells me if I'm faster or slower than my delta.  I can also already see my position on the left hand side and don't need it on the right hand side again. 

Honestly feels as if there is no passion going into these games...

But hey we've got a story mode that is completely not replayable...whoop...whoop...

This guy is saying important things! Definitely the right things!!!

HUD is chaotic again. Just without sense. Graphics have nothing to do with the official broadcast style again.. They don’t listen to us. Talking with my hand is more informative. They don’t care about what is really important during a Qualifying. Very boring and always the same…

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

Tsunoda is like 6 foot tall and his moustache makes me nervous. Giovinazzi looks dead inside. Poor guy.

I wonder what is broken with the character models in F1 2021. In last years game they were ok-ish, I simply never thought / worried about them. But now, especially when the game blends in the grid order, something seems wrong with the characters. It seems that heads and bodies are not the same size in some cases, some have a shrunken head, some have a big one, times it seems as if head and body were stichted together in 10 seconds in some faking program. For an "official" game, these characters look incredibly poor. I understand Codies wants to show more than just a photo of the drivers, wants them to be 3D and such, but as it is now it is not good enough - or is that just me?

Nearly the same applies on the contracts screen and on some other occasions. When I find the time I will try and compare some screenshots between the 2020 and 2021 games to illustrate what has gone wrong.

Edited by Schneehase
33 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

I wonder what is broken with the character models in F1 2021. In last years game they were ok-ish, I simply never thought / worried about them. But now, especially when the game blends in the grid order, something seems wrong with the characters. It seems that heads and bodies are not the same size in some cases, some have a shrunken head, some have a big one, times it seems as if head and body were stichted together in 10 seconds in some faking program. For an "official" game, these characters look incredibly poor. I understand Codies wants to show more than just a photo of the drivers, wants them to be 3D and such, but as it is now it is not good enough - or is that just me?

Nearly the same applies on the contracts screen and on some other occasions. When I find the time I will try and compare some screenshots between the 2020 and 2021 games to illustrate what has gone wrong.

I did notice that on the grid run-through that things looked a little odd but I put that down to them changing the appearance and it not being fully patched yet.   I’m expecting that they’ll put a general game update soon and a few of the niggly aesthetic things throughout the game will be fixed. 
Probably would be interesting to post the screenshots of comparison when comparing the two as it provides context for your opinion. I’d like to see how they stack up against each other personally 🙂

1 hour ago, Sector4 said:

According to Alex Gillon, China will be available in My Team and Career from Season 2 onwards. 

Someone who has already gotten Season 1 out of the way should be able to confirm if it's true.

Ah, I could sim the best part of a season and find out and feedback 🙂   Thank you though!

20 hours ago, Dunky1980 said:

Had a quick go this morning before work.

First impressions of the graphics on the PlayStation 5 very poor looks worse than last year. Doesn't feel like a lot 60fps either?

Ai did seem to be faster and seem to be better at battling. Enjoyed the Handling feels more realistic.

Will need to have more of a go. but a little bit disappointed in the graphics on PS5

That's weird. PS4 got a graphics boost. I was actually wondering how much better it could get on PS5 as it looks already this good on PS4 Pro

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Agree 1
54 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

That's weird. PS4 got a graphics boost. I was actually wondering how much better it could get on PS5 as it looks already this good on PS4 Pro

Really pleased with how it looks and runs on the Pro. I don't know if you share that experience but it's very quick, once it's loaded in the track there's barely any load times between sessions. 

I didn't think they'd be able to push much further on the console than 2020 and that was chugging and slow to load at times. 

2 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I did notice that on the grid run-through that things looked a little odd but I put that down to them changing the appearance and it not being fully patched yet.   I’m expecting that they’ll put a general game update soon and a few of the niggly aesthetic things throughout the game will be fixed. 
Probably would be interesting to post the screenshots of comparison when comparing the two as it provides context for your opinion. I’d like to see how they stack up against each other personally 🙂

Ah, I could sim the best part of a season and find out and feedback 🙂   Thank you though!

Yes it’s in there BUT not in the full season you have to skip a race to get it