Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 first impressions

1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

Really pleased with how it looks and runs on the Pro. I don't know if you share that experience but it's very quick, once it's loaded in the track there's barely any load times between sessions. 

I didn't think they'd be able to push much further on the console than 2020 and that was chugging and slow to load at times. 

Exactly; I was expecting no attention to the PS4 version at all and expected things might be worse than last year regarding loading times. I'm very happy with graphics and performance on PS4 Pro

14 hours ago, Schneehase said:

It seems to me though that "myteam" career got the least of love in this iteration of the game. The only changes seem to be the settings concerning technical faults and that you can actually influence everyones rate of money and experience gain, but that is about it. In other areas, like the R&D department, it feels like its worse this year than last years, I really like that development tree. Typical example where game developers renew something that is not needed to overhaul, rather than investing that time and money into something that adds to the game (see menu color, also...).

Compared to the short story mode, myteam is a replayable blast though, and it really should be the focus of upcoming patches, maybe Codies can save it for 2021, still. 

True, MyTeam is a disappointment as there was so much room for improvement. Overall my first impression of the game is good but My Team is a disappointment 

11 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

China not available in MyTeam custom. Now I know it’s not in the official calendar but it is in the game so it’s not a massive leap for inclusion.  Plus, it was never actually cancelled, just postponed so id happily have that instead of Singapore which I am woeful at. (Although I think Singapore is a beautiful track).  Additionally, the season feels short at 20 currently. I’d prefer to keep the actual 23 but with China and two duplicate tracks. Actually, tbh MyTeam itself comes across as ‘the ginger cousin’. It’s there, but doesn’t really look as though too much love and affection went into improving it and it’s fundamentally the same, just marginally inferior in R&D tab. 

Every track is a win, the more the better. Doesn't matter if its the official calendar or not

12 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

Every track is a win, the more the better. Doesn't matter if its the official calendar or not

I wholeheartedly agree, if they could make them all available for all modes then that'd be preferable. I don't want them to remove any from the actual game, I meant that I'd like to be able to switch ones out of my own season calendar. Until they release the track DLC, they've hamstrung the season at 20 races whereas i'd rather have 23 from the get-go and have China and two duplicates to fill the DLC spaces.  If it has to be 20 then i'd like to shoehorn China in as a replacement for another track. 

In an ideal world, they'd bin off the 'official season'  calendar and we can have other tracks like both the Germany tracks, Turkey, Malaysia, etc all available. I get that they can't be in the official game but ideally up to 30 tracks to mix and match a year and you can rotate after every season would be ideal. 

I can live with pretty much all of the current flaws. But please, give us a dark mode! That constant white background everywhere is killing my eyes. Especially when you switch between tabs and for a moment the whole TV is white is deadly at night. 

I also think they could have done a little better job with the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback on the PS5. I actually had to turn rumble to 150% for it to become somewhat noticeable, but it's still not very strong. 

I also agree that MyTeam is a little disappointing. It's my favorite mode but it just feels.... The same. I'm also not sure how exactly the horrible screen tearing and low fps replays made it into the final version. This game feels a little bit like a beta version at the moment. 

• Agree 5
16 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

…ideally up to 30 tracks to mix and match a year and you can rotate after every season would be ideal. 

That’d certainly give the 10 season career mode the variety that it lacks 

4 minutes ago, R9NALD09 said:

r/F1Game - Anyone else getting extremely unrealistic driver transfers halfway through the first season of driver career mode?

Driver transfers after half a season in career mode.

Broken.

Oh dear, that's abit bizarre. 

I guess Vettel didn't want to Grazie his last Regazzi after all!

Russell didn't get the Merc seat even after they jettisoned Bottas?  Can't catch a break, that guy. 

Alonso, Sainz Danny Ric can only handle half a season at a time in a seat in their game of hot potato musical chairs.

But... Gasly made it back to Helmut!  Poor chap.  Seeing Kimi as the next Red Bull prospect. 

I like variety in driver transfers and thought last year was abit stagnant unless you engineered it yourself, but that's abit too enthusiastic. 

I find it bizarre so many drivers move around mid-season.

Sure, its happened in the past but it’s typically the exception rather than the rule. 

These whack mid-season transfers are just a symptom though - The root cause of this particular issue is shoddy game design paired with mediocre coding that is deemed “good enough” to release into the wild after a token beta phase at a higher price than the previous iteration. 

At least they’re consistent. 

• Agree 4

This is a really weird release this year.

Of course, the new handling, brakes and tire physics are positive, but I noticed a lot of negative things. Although I play on PS5 the graphics are in some areas worse than in F12020 on PS4. For example there are no helicopters, birds or leaves on or next to the track as in F12020. No signs of hitting the brakes too hard. Extreme FPS drops during the highlights and the damage model is not the same as in the preview.

I Have started several attempts and can confirm that the damage model has been turned back significantly. It's almost like impossible to see damage to the rear wing or underbody, which is weird. The better damage model is clearly there, so why not use it? I hope that a patch comes on Friday and fixes some of it but nevertheless this release is very strange.

Edited by TJH
19 hours ago, R9NALD09 said:

r/F1Game - Anyone else getting extremely unrealistic driver transfers halfway through the first season of driver career mode?

Broken.

This is so bad.Dont understand why they remove option to turn it off 😞

• Agree 2
8 hours ago, TJH said:

I Have started several attempts and can confirm that the damage model has been turned back significantly. It's almost like impossible to see damage to the rear wing or underbody, which is weird.

I also noticed this on the PS5. I had damaged wings, underbody or side pots without any damage being visible. I also saw in previews that tiny parts of the front wing etc are supposed to come off when damaged, I can't spot any of that. It pretty much looks like the old games really. 

So I'm not sure if this a bug or not. Feels like some parts of the game on the PS5 run in last-gen mode, like the mentioned damage model. But like you mentioned there are other inconsistencies like missing props. Or even the shadows on the rear wing when you look back just look really, really bad. 

Or.... Maybe the game runs in performance mode rather than quality mode even if the latter is set. I haven't tried performance mode yet, but didn't people mention that there's no difference in quality? But who knows. It's just a little sad that people who pay more for a deluxe version are essentially beta testers of the game. 

• Agree 1
9 hours ago, Neomo said:

This is so bad.Dont understand why they remove option to turn it off 😞

Wait what??? They better not have!

This is such an immersion breaker it desperately needed the option to turn it off or down. - which they introduced in a patch last year (or maybe 2019 can’t quite remember).

If they’ve taken that option away and we get the results shown above, it will absolutely ruin any sort of career mode for me

• Agree 1

Well made my first laps in this years Version on ps5...conclusion for now,i like it!

Handling is a bit harder i find,but it is fine,needs a bit more Training though. Not that easy the jump from 2020 to this year.

The Sound is awesome 🙏 huge improvement i find!

Graphic, yeah well not a huge step,no step back,stable fps...i am fine with this .

Until i start a season i wait a bit, but i like this years Version.

9 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

Well made my first laps in this years Version on ps5...conclusion for now,i like it!

Handling is a bit harder i find,but it is fine,needs a bit more Training though. Not that easy the jump from 2020 to this year.

The Sound is awesome 🙏 huge improvement i find!

Graphic, yeah well not a huge step,no step back,stable fps...i am fine with this .

Until i start a season i wait a bit, but i like this years Version.

Stick with it mate, I was a bit like a fish out of water at first but I'm hammering in the laps now and learning which kerbs to attack and which to take a different line for. It'll come to you, it's not a huge leap. The tracks are far more alive, bumpy, unbalanced. Car is heavier and feels more weighty to move into corners and the new tire model will wake you up if you're getting too comfortable. All in all loving the driving this year. 

• Like 1
On 7/14/2021 at 11:47 AM, R9NALD09 said:

Broken.

So bad. Unrealistic. Codemasters ……. What are you doing 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, marioho said:

Those that are getting acclimated to this year's driving model, is there a good preset setup to start off or base ours upon just like Preset 4 was in F1 2020?

@PJTierney?

Same question. I don't know if you were in the beta but David said that preset 3 is for casual players and preset 2 and 4 are a good starting point. But the problem is that I'm not finding them good enough. I've tried different concepts but there's nothing I like so far. Preset 4 is probably the best but it becomes undrivable in specific tracks. It's an instant spin at Eau Rouge or if you survive it's underbody damage on simuation/simulation (I've tried every possibile line). I had to bring ride height up to 6-9 and 7-10 to avoid damage and the whole setups was messed up at that point. Underbody damage feels so inconsistent, you get it like it's nothing on some tracks and you can ride kerbs all day in others without consequences. I don't know if it's a bug though. The default value I believe it's 3-6. It isn't aggressive from my perspective but it seems more than enough to get damage through Eau Rouge.

Plus preset 4 becomes tricky in long stints, I spun with it during the Beta in Bahrain (the new high speed uncatchable snap oversteer). I've seen different setups online that might be good starting points but bring the same problem (damage, unsustainable ride height).

I love the potential of the new handling model but I hate setups so far. I'll keep testing and eventually decide if the damage model worth the time...

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, marioho said:

Those that are getting acclimated to this year's driving model, is there a good preset setup to start off or base ours upon just like Preset 4 was in F1 2020?

@PJTierney?

I forgot to mention that preset 1 and preset 5 are Monaco and Monza specific. It's easy to see looking at how tyre pressures are set in those presets.

The presets I'm loving the most so far is preset 3. It's the one I enjoy driving with but it's slow and far from being competitive.

Edited by sirio994
  • Thanks 1

@sirio994 thanks for the thorough response! It would be nice to have another Q&A session with Greco again much like we had yesteryear.

Have you gotten your head around the whole diffuser generated downforce aspect and the different grip levels on different surfaces? I may be mistaken about the latter but I think I saw it somewhere that the difference in grip between rubberized tarmac, tarmac, grass and painted strips was accentuated compared to last year. Anyway, the diffuser being simulated and the different kerbs gravely disrupting the car has been the talk of every gameplay comparison I've come across so I'm preparing myself to relearn my lines and rethink my setups.

Edited by marioho

The fact you can’t be a real driver in real season start is an absolute shocker for me, they’ve removed championship mode as well, so in the official F1 game you can’t be a real driver apart from in a one off Grand Prix mode, that’s like buying fifa and only been able to be play with real teams in a friendly.

• Like 1