Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 first impressions

50 minutes ago, peanutt2000 said:

The fact you can’t be a real driver in real season start is an absolute shocker for me, they’ve removed championship mode as well, so in the official F1 game you can’t be a real driver apart from in a one off Grand Prix mode, that’s like buying fifa and only been able to be play with real teams in a friendly.

You can play the entire F1 (and F2) season(s) in Grand Prix mode. However, you won't be able to do any other Grand Prix races while you're going through.

That, I view, is a step backwards from the Championships mode. 

Note; i think you can even create a custom season in Grand Prix of up to 26 races. 

52 minutes ago, peanutt2000 said:

The fact you can’t be a real driver in real season start is an absolute shocker for me, they’ve removed championship mode as well, so in the official F1 game you can’t be a real driver apart from in a one off Grand Prix mode, that’s like buying fifa and only been able to be play with real teams in a friendly.

You can create a championship in grand prix mode. Not defending the fact that they removed championship mode from the game because there was actually quite a bit there to do but still it's not nothing.

I'm just really annoyed that the game is advertising that you can play a full f1 world championship within the game because that's just complete ****. I didn't even know they were doing the release more tracks later tack with this release and I'm annoyed about that. I got this game expecting to be able to play a full world championship calander from the jump. I could have overlooked a lot of the bugs that I've encountered which have been downright nasty but that paticular move really feels like rug pulling. I will probably be on guard about making future purchases in this series if they're not worth at least a full championship calander on release.

• Agree 1
17 minutes ago, Zachrulez said:

You can create a championship in grand prix mode. Not defending the fact that they removed championship mode from the game because there was actually quite a bit there to do but still it's not nothing.

I'm just really annoyed that the game is advertising that you can play a full f1 world championship within the game because that's just complete ****. I didn't even know they were doing the release more tracks later tack with this release and I'm annoyed about that. I got this game expecting to be able to play a full world championship calander from the jump. I could have overlooked a lot of the bugs that I've encountered which have been downright nasty but that paticular move really feels like rug pulling. I will probably be on guard about making future purchases in this series if they're not worth at least a full championship calander on release.

In fairness, they've been reiterating their standpoint for months concerning the tracks. The 3 new ones will be later in the year and the 2020 ones won't be amended. Also, tracks that came after a certain date (Turkey and maybe a different one to replace Singapore) also won't be included.

It's hard to hold them accountable for your surprise that they're not in there when they have been saying for months that they won't be there from the off. Unfortunately, i'm afraid, that is a research issue on your behalf.   I'm not saying your opinion is wrong as ideally it would perfectly replicate the season, but it's definitely not rug-pulling as they made it clear they wouldn't be in there straight away. 

When did the burden suddenly fall on the consumer to research and pay attention to whatever was posted here prior to release when a full calender has been the standard for basically the series entire history?

Edit: Also one of my bigger issues is being hesitent to play career mode with the tracks that the player can play being in flux so what a full season is now and a month or two from now are no longer the same thing. I don't want to play an incomplete calander and then need to start over when the full calander is available. That's just dumb.

Further point whether they're posting this as their intention or not the standard for release now is essentially incomplete game now and complete game at some point in the future and I definitely will be taking note of that.

Edited by Zachrulez
  • Agree 2
1 minute ago, Zachrulez said:

When did the burden suddenly fall on the consumer to research and pay attention to whatever was posted here prior to release when a full calender has been the standard for basically the series entire history?

I get that point, but I think the assumption is that the consumer always has a burden to ensure that they are paying for what they think they're getting.

For example, you want Cheese and Onion crisps from the shop. You go in, grab a blue packet, pay and leave.  You open the packet and having one of those wonderful crisps... and it's salt and vinegar.   It's not the shops fault that you didn't look at what you were buying because Cheese and Onion has always been blue. 

Not that it should detract from your point that you'd have liked the tracks to be in from the start as I imagine alot of people would.  They'd just been pretty vocal that they'll be coming later. 

1 minute ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I get that point, but I think the assumption is that the consumer always has a burden to ensure that they are paying for what they think they're getting.

For example, you want Cheese and Onion crisps from the shop. You go in, grab a blue packet, pay and leave.  You open the packet and having one of those wonderful crisps... and it's salt and vinegar.   It's not the shops fault that you didn't look at what you were buying because Cheese and Onion has always been blue. 

Not that it should detract from your point that you'd have liked the tracks to be in from the start as I imagine alot of people would.  They'd just been pretty vocal that they'll be coming later. 

This is actually more akin to taking something out of the package and then saying it was the consumers fault for not noticing that they were planning to do that. In fact they even advertise offering the full f1 season in the digital store with an asterisk... Ugh. (That way they can have it both ways. See? They're not technically lying!)

I also think it's fair for the consumer to expect to not get less than they've gotten in the past from a yearly release... but whatever... my days of buying this game on release are probably over. (I'm trying to get to grips with the handling model but I think I'm going to end up just not liking it.)

To better convey where I'm at and what I'm feeling I'd just point out for the years I've been here the game's cycle post release has always been patching up the game and fixing bugs. Sometimes that's been a struggle with bugs so bad they can't simply be ignored. (F1 2017's weather transition bug at the end of that game's cycle springs right into my mind.) I'm a guy that likes to try to overlook bugs unless they're really bad. This year I've already stumbled on a handfulalready... The post release cycle is now in my mind basically release the game in an unfinished state and we'll offer up the complete game later. That is pretty much the opposite direction I want to see games moving in. Why should I keep buying this game at this point? That's basically where I'm at. I can deal with bugs. I can't deal with paying money for an unfinished game and being told it's fine because they plan to finish the game later. That is not my expectation when ordering or pre-ordering a game. If that's the mentality of this series now I can't see how I'm going to remain a customer of this product.

Edit: I do expect the eventual release of the full calander to placate me somewhat on this specific release but there's no way I'm going through this on future ones.

Edited by Zachrulez
7 minutes ago, Zachrulez said:

To better convey where I'm at and what I'm feeling I'd just point out for the years I've been here the game's cycle post release has always been patching up the game and fixing bugs. Sometimes that's been a struggle with bugs so bad they can't simply be ignored. (F1 2017's weather transition bug at the end of that game's cycle springs right into my mind.) I'm a guy that likes to try to overlook bugs unless they're really bad. This year I've already stumbled on a handfulalready... The post release cycle is now in my mind basically release the game in an unfinished state and we'll offer up the complete game later. That is pretty much the opposite direction I want to see games moving in. Why should I keep buying this game at this point? That's basically where I'm at. I can deal with bugs. I can't deal with paying money for an unfinished game and being told it's fine because they plan to finish the game later. That is not my expectation when ordering or pre-ordering a game. If that's the mentality of this series now I can't see how I'm going to remain a customer of this product.

Edit: I do expect the eventual release of the full calander to placate me somewhat on this specific release but there's no way I'm going through this on future ones.

Tracks take a long time to make, they have to produce 3 from scratch in a time where they may not and in some cases definitely will not have unlimited access to the tools and locations they need to do the normal job. It is not every year that the F1 calendar changes so drastically almost on a whim every other weekend, for years of F1 gaming in fact the calendar has been pretty stable. The agreement reached with FOM is they will provide the calendar as agreed at that time but the 3 new tracks will need to come later as the time and resources needed to do it just isn't there. They have been up front about this, not just on here but in gaming and wider motorsports media, as much as they can possibly be. 

I get being unhappy about it, we all want the tracks as soon as possible, but honestly have a little awareness of the situation that CM, among all of us working through this crazy moment in time, find ourselves, and lets not act as if they've just decided this is now the future of gaming and we can lump it if we don't like it. Because that's not at all the reality of it. 

Edited by KNT2011
  • Agree 1

They could have just... released the game later?

Edit: The tracks that are in here don't actually look all that different from previous year games. There's also the fact that several tracks that have been in the game were taken out and can't even be used to try to even make a more complete calender. (Like a 23 round season instead of 20.) I get some of the tracks being new and needing to be done from scratch... but existing tracks that have been in the game for years aren't there anymore. All this to say that the game has an incomplete world championship in an official FIA licenced F1 game on release.

Edited by Zachrulez
2 minutes ago, Zachrulez said:

That wouldn't be great for those who don't want to have to wait even more months and are happy to plod around while they wait for the DLCs.   A better alternative would be for people to buy the game later if they didn't want to play it until it was 'completed', although people would have to pay attention to what they're buying first. 

My thinking is that this has nothing to do with impatient gamers and more to do with a company that is impatient to make money on this franchise. All the stuff happening here is basically EA's MO and it's the exact reason I stopped buying their yearly releases for other sports titles. Everything I've seen from this year's release is basically the realization of a lot of my worst fears and I'm more or less being told that I should have seen it coming. (To be fair in some ways I should have I suppose.)

Edited by Zachrulez
  • Agree 1
7 minutes ago, Zachrulez said:

Edit: The tracks that are in here don't actually look all that different from previous year games. There's also the fact that several tracks that have been in the game were taken out and can't even be used to try to even make a more complete calender. (Like a 23 round season instead of 20.) I get some of the tracks being new and needing to be done from scratch... but existing tracks that have been in the game for years aren't there anymore. All this to say that the game has an incomplete world championship in an official FIA licenced F1 game on release.

Which again was publicised well before release. 

Having a blast with the game, as are many others, we should wait though because you expect things to be as they always were in times when they can not be. 

1 minute ago, KNT2011 said:

Which again was publicised well before release. 

Having a blast with the game, as are many others, we should wait though because you expect things to be as they always were in times when they can not be. 

This mindset is exactly how you end up with unfinished games on release which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Not being able to wait patiently for a game release is not a good thing or a good trait IMO.

• Agree 2
Just now, Zachrulez said:

This mindset is exactly how you end up with unfinished games on release which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Not being able to wait patiently for a game release is not a good thing or a good trait IMO.

Having 0 awareness of what you're buying when spending a decent of cash is not a good trait either, not going to tit for tat with you lad, jog on. 

My thinking is that this has nothing to do with impatient games and more to do with a company that is impatient to make money on this franchise. All the stuff happening here is basically EA's MO and it's the exact reason I stopped buying their yearly releases for other sports titles. Everything I've seen from this year's release is basically the realization of a lot of my worst fears and I'm more or less being told that I should have seen it coming. (To be fair in some ways I should have I suppose.)

This isn't EA, yet.  They came too late in the game cycle to have any substantial input into the game direction and capacity/resource management.

I think every company is impatient to make money, otherwise how do you run an effective business if you're not bothered by profit/loss in quarters?

I agree that there are some parts of the game that could be a realisation of your worst fears and you couldn't have seen them coming... but they did put out statements on their standpoint on the tracks. 2021 tracks are new and later, 2020 tracks are still 2020 tracks.  They've been pretty vocal on that so probably should have seen that one on the horizon. 

2 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Having 0 awareness of what you're buying when spending a decent of cash is not a good trait either, not going to tit for tat with you lad, jog on. 

I don't think having an incomplete season on release is something a consumer of a yearly series should reasonably need to expect or "do research on."

I mean I fully admit I could have done more research... but I can solve this problem in the future by simply not trusting the company that makes the game anymore.

11 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

This isn't EA, yet.  They came too late in the game cycle to have any substantial input into the game direction and capacity/resource management.

I think every company is impatient to make money, otherwise how do you run an effective business if you're not bothered by profit/loss in quarters?

I agree that there are some parts of the game that could be a realisation of your worst fears and you couldn't have seen them coming... but they did put out statements on their standpoint on the tracks. 2021 tracks are new and later, 2020 tracks are still 2020 tracks.  They've been pretty vocal on that so probably should have seen that one on the horizon. 

I do have a lot of other issues with this year's release but this specific thing with the tracks is the one I feel betrayed the most by. Not even necissarily the inability to scan the newer tracks but just by the pure inability to have a season that is 23 rounds long with other tracks until the ones that need to be there are actually released. (Why can't we use China or Singapore or any of the tracks that were in previous games?)

I do have a lot of other issues with this year's release but this specific thing with the tracks is the one I feel betrayed the most by. Not even necissarily the inability to scan the newer tracks but just by the pure inability to have a season that is 23 rounds long with other tracks until the ones that need to be there are actually released. (Why can't we use China or Singapore or any of the tracks that were in previous games?)

I completely understand the issues you have with the tracks.

I get why they're late and it's undesirable to me but not the end of the world.   However, the 20 season is a big gripe of mine. I wouldn't mind if you could have China as one track and then duplicate two other races in order to fill the gaps until the 3 new ones came.   That point is one I wholeheartedly agree on.

The only thing I can imagine is that they can't import them into existing career modes if they already have 23 race seasons. 

1 minute ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I completely understand the issues you have with the tracks.

I get why they're late and it's undesirable to me but not the end of the world.   However, the 20 season is a big gripe of mine. I wouldn't mind if you could have China as one track and then duplicate two other races in order to fill the gaps until the 3 new ones came.   That point is one I wholeheartedly agree on.

The only thing I can imagine is that they can't import them into existing career modes if they already have 23 race seasons. 

I think the real core issue I'm having is that I'm really trying to like this game but I think that at the end of the day I just plain don't. As strange as it is to say that I might want to go back and just play F1 2020 again that's kind of where I'm at right now.

• Agree 1

The fact that we have outdated car performance is very disappointing and inexcusable to be honest.  It is almost as if they just accept the fact that they will update it after release.  The season is 4 months old...you tell me they can't have a day one patch ready with the new performance paramters.

Edited by R9NALD09
  • Agree 4
2 minutes ago, R9NALD09 said:

The fact that we have outdated car performance is very disappointing and inexcusable to be honest.  It is almost as if they just accept the fact that they will update it after release.  The season is 4 months old...you tell me they can't have a day one patch ready with the new performance paramters.

This 100%

The game is just not finished at all. Tracks missing / not updated, and performance not updated at all to reflect this season. May as well just have advertised it as F12020 with a story mode bolted on - that’s exactly what it is.

Apart from all the mentioned flaws, the AI is finally very fun to race and they don't ram you all the time. So the racing itself is the best of all their F1 titles yet.

Edited by KillingJoke197
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I know this sounds bananas BUT can anyone let me know how to change the fuel mix on pc please? When in the MFD, you can't navigate up to select - you can only swap between brake bias and diff. Many thanks. 

Just now, Bauer said:

I know this sounds bananas BUT can anyone let me know how to change the fuel mix on pc please? When in the MFD, you can't navigate up to select - you can only swap between brake bias and diff. Many thanks. 

You can't - and the reason are the new rules in F1 this season.