Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 first impressions

Bought the game yesterday.

First impression:

The visuals are really impressive.

The game didn't recognise my triple screen setup, so it had a weird 3xyz x 800 resolution, which I figured out how to change after spending way too much time in the graphical settings.

It has a really weird and bad stuttering while playing in cockpit view. When I ran the graphic config, I watched a 5 lap race with no stuttering at all and stable FPS. As soon as I jumped behind the cockpit, it stuttered like hell. After tweaking the settings (turning off artifical things like camera shake etc), the game stuttered a bit less, but it was still visible. Especially in the side monitors, where the headrest is visible and jumps forward all the time.

It doesn't have proper triple screen support. This is on me for not investigating before buying the game, but I watched some YouTube videos of it with triples and didn't pay much attention to the stretching on the side monitors.

A big surprise was that my consumer T300 wheel have absolutely no FFB at all, even though it is supported. The strength is set to maximum in the game settings. It's really weird to drive a car when you have no feeling at all of what the front tyres are doing. You have to react to what you see instead of what you feel. I know the F1 series is an arcade game and not a simulator, but I assumed EA knew something about FFB.

The FOV settings doesn't make sense to me. How do I know if I should have -15 or -20 other than what feels natural to me?

Edited by Eplehuset
  • Agree 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
9 hours ago, marioho said:

Those that are getting acclimated to this year's driving model, is there a good preset setup to start off or base ours upon just like Preset 4 was in F1 2020?

@PJTierney?

Haven't dived into setups yet I'm afraid. Most of my time in the game so far has been b-roll and screenshots!

• Thanks 1

Hallo ,

das Spiel ist soweit gut bzw. besser wie das 20 Spiel. Spielfehler (bug) habe ich bisher nur 2 rausbekommen und zwar wenn einer nachjiont  und man von Training zum Quali geht können meist 2-3 Leute nicht fahren und müssen die Lobby verlassen und wieder rein das es geht. Soundbug mal wieder. Ist mir bei Mclaren aufgefallen.. 

Was ich schade finde und hoffe das es binnen kurzer zeit noch nachkommt die änderungen der Strecken Australien wie auch Abu Dhabi und zeitnah natürlich auch Imola ,Portimao und Jeddah .. Da ja EA mitdrin ist sollte die möglichkeiten  doch vorhanden sein. Ein Team das und ein team macht das fertig. Wäre schön mal ein Spiel zu bekommen was auch fast übereinstimmt mit der Realen F1 . Mit Jeddah ist klar wenn die in Real nicht fertig ist aber alles andere sollte doch gehen.. Und vom TMopenWheel tut was nicht obwohl ich es mehrfach neu eingestellt habe. Habe ich die MFA auf mit Bremsbalance dann kann ich die Taste nach hinten schauen ruhig drücken ,es geht dann im menü hoch und runter was nicht soll , im 20er Teil kein problem..  Ansonsten bitte nichts Setups oder die autos kaputt patchen so sind die gut , nun kommt es auf Fahrer und setup an was super ist ..  Ich fahre auf der PS4 .. Mfg und einen schön Tag weiterhin ..

Eigene Liga habe ich auch .. wenn es hier Fahrer geben sollte die was suchen ..  Bei Interesse :  Facebook : European Racing League . Homepage :www.erl2020.jimdofree.com

Vor 1 Minute sagte Chris288:

Hallo ,

das Spiel ist soweit gut bzw. besser wie das 20 Spiel. Spielfehler (bug) habe ich bisher nur 2 rausbekommen und zwar wenn einer nachjiont  und man von Training zum Quali geht können meist 2-3 Leute nicht fahren und müssen die Lobby verlassen und wieder rein das es geht. Soundbug mal wieder. Ist mir bei Mclaren aufgefallen.. 

Was ich schade finde und hoffe das es binnen kurzer zeit noch nachkommt die änderungen der Strecken Australien wie auch Abu Dhabi und zeitnah natürlich auch Imola ,Portimao und Jeddah .. Da ja EA mitdrin ist sollte die möglichkeiten  doch vorhanden sein. Ein Team das und ein team macht das fertig. Wäre schön mal ein Spiel zu bekommen was auch fast übereinstimmt mit der Realen F1 . Mit Jeddah ist klar wenn die in Real nicht fertig ist aber alles andere sollte doch gehen.. Und vom TMopenWheel tut was nicht obwohl ich es mehrfach neu eingestellt habe. Habe ich die MFA auf mit Bremsbalance dann kann ich die Taste nach hinten schauen ruhig drücken ,es geht dann im menü hoch und runter was nicht soll , im 20er Teil kein problem..  Ansonsten bitte nichts Setups oder die autos kaputt patchen so sind die gut , nun kommt es auf Fahrer und setup an was super ist ..  Ich fahre auf der PS4 .. Mfg und einen schön Tag weiterhin ..

I'm still into the first impression phase but I'm getting more convinced this is again a superb Formula 1 game. Yes there is the usual annoyance of AI difficulty being all over the place but overall it's a better game than F1 2020. F1 2020 already received the prestigious Belgiumdude Best F1 game of all time award. If I don't see too much outlandish liveries and items in upcoming podium passes I will need to come up with an even more prestigious award 

• Like 1

Can someone please tell Codemasters that in 1964 a guy called Douglas Engelbart invented a thing called a "MOUSE" that allows PC users to navigate the screen without the use of a keyboard.

99.9% of the games I play use this humble invention to navigate through the menus in-game.

Get with the times Codies! Please.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Eplehuset said:

First impression:

The game didn't recognise my triple screen setup, so it had a weird 3xyz x 800 resolution, which I figured out how to change after spending way too much time in the graphical settings.

It has a really weird and bad stuttering while playing in cockpit view. When I ran the graphic config, I watched a 5 lap race with no stuttering at all and stable FPS. As soon as I jumped behind the cockpit, it stuttered like hell. After tweaking the settings (turning off artifical things like camera shake etc), the game stuttered a bit less, but it was still visible. Especially in the side monitors, where the headrest is visible and jumps forward all the time.

It doesn't have proper triple screen support. This is on me for not investigating before buying the game, but I watched some YouTube videos of it with triples and didn't pay much attention to the stretching on the side monitors.

A big surprise was that my consumer T300 wheel have absolutely no FFB at all, even though it is supported. The strength is set to maximum in the game settings. It's really weird to drive a car when you have no feeling at all of what the front tyres are doing. You have to react to what you see instead of what you feel. I know the F1 series is an arcade game and not a simulator, but I assumed EA knew something about FFB.

The FOV settings doesn't make sense to me. How do I know if I should have -15 or -20 other than what feels natural to me?

https://androidgram.com/f1-2021-game-force-feedback-ffb-not-working-broken-for-many-players-fix-suggested-by-devs/

This fixed it for me.. T300 user here.

• Agree 1

How’s the AI speed? Is it about the same as last year? Like for example, if on last year’s game I raced with AI on 100, is it about the same level for this year’s game?

Edited by DutchRacer87

I would say this years 90 is last years 100. Also the AI is more consistent throughout the different tracks I didn't need to adjust the slider for Austria for example where the AI were underperforming a lot in the last games.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, KillingJoke197 said:

I would say this years 90 is last years 100. Also the AI is more consistent throughout the different tracks I didn't need to adjust the slider for Austria for example where the AI were underperforming a lot in the last games.

Yet to start a driver career or championship but this is great news. Consistently did my head in so much I had a whole spreadsheet last year of AI levels for different tracks. 

Switching from PS4/PC to Xbox Series S, I'm extremely bummed to see that in 2021 voice commands don't work on Xbox. Yeah yeah I know Xbox 360/One had something to do with Kinect. Well Kinect really doesn't exist anymore. Not sure why it doesn't work now.

Thanks for the impressions specifically on the ps5. I am on the fence as to when to purchase the game on ps5, I’ll explain why and I think it may help address/give a hint at maybe answer why to some of your complaints. Looking at the game to purchase on the ps app, I don’t think there is an actually ps5 version… all it appears to be is the PS4 game with a some minor upgrades such as using the adaptive triggers and there are some things missing they didn’t boost (30fps highlights) who knows I may be completely wrong I haven’t played the game but I’m sure I will break down and get it soon.. just wanted to throw that idea/perspective out

33 minutes ago, mwynn05 said:

Thanks for the impressions specifically on the ps5. I am on the fence as to when to purchase the game on ps5, I’ll explain why and I think it may help address/give a hint at maybe answer why to some of your complaints. Looking at the game to purchase on the ps app, I don’t think there is an actually ps5 version… all it appears to be is the PS4 game with a some minor upgrades such as using the adaptive triggers and there are some things missing they didn’t boost (30fps highlights) who knows I may be completely wrong I haven’t played the game but I’m sure I will break down and get it soon.. just wanted to throw that idea/perspective out

There is a distinct PS5 version rather than the game purely running as a compatible PS4 game. Whether you view the differences as significant or not will be up to you but the major ones for me are faster loading times (which really does help the game feel much slicker than F1 2020 for me) and the 120 Hz performance mode (although you'll need a compatible TV to make use of this). I will just flag that there is an issue with HDR support currently though so I won't push the graphics as being all they should be, and others have raised different concerns. If you're in no rush then maybe just hold off for a month while some early bugs hopefully get fixed.

12 hours ago, Zachrulez said:

Edit: The tracks that are in here don't actually look all that different from previous year games. There's also the fact that several tracks that have been in the game were taken out and can't even be used to try to even make a more complete calender. (Like a 23 round season instead of 20.) I get some of the tracks being new and needing to be done from scratch... but existing tracks that have been in the game for years aren't there anymore. All this to say that the game has an incomplete world championship in an official FIA licenced F1 game on release.

That would be awesome. I for one would love to race again on Hockenheimring. And even still requiring a load of work to reprogram the AI to race accurately within the new driving model, that would still amount to less resources than building tracks from scrap. However, I'm afraid this is more a contractual issue than a lack of effort from Codies, mate.

Picture yourself in the board of Barcelona fresh after approving a deal to put the squad on this new football game just to have your nephew come up later and ask you just why the front three is composed of Messi, Eto'o and Ronaldinho with Guardiola being seen directing it all from the bench in the replays. "Nephew" here as a stand-in for every business and commercial partners plus these athletes agents beaching about it. "Beaching" as a stand-in for both the cuss world that the forum won't let me type out and whatever the legalese is these days for "oh you better fix this or I'll see you in court".

And it is not like Codemasters has a poor deal with FIA/FOM. I still cannot help but be amazed that every pre-season Codemasters get to place their own mics and make their own audio captures from the actual cars, just to throw a silly example out there.

11 hours ago, R9NALD09 said:

The fact that we have outdated car performance is very disappointing and inexcusable to be honest.  It is almost as if they just accept the fact that they will update it after release.  The season is 4 months old...you tell me they can't have a day one patch ready with the new performance paramters.

Yeah, I would be lying if I said that this and the hobbling of the championship mode did not disappoint me a bit. I'm confident the performance patch will reinstate some realism in the teams' performance, but I expected something different with a release this far into the season.

The stripped down championship mode is a bummer though. Not nearly close to being a deal breaker but I like my championships alright.

Edited by marioho
1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

There is a distinct PS5 version rather than the game purely running as a compatible PS4 game. Whether you view the differences as significant or not will be up to you but the major ones for me are faster loading times (which really does help the game feel much slicker than F1 2020 for me) and the 120 Hz performance mode (although you'll need a compatible TV to make use of this). I will just flag that there is an issue with HDR support currently though so I won't push the graphics as being all they should be, and others have raised different concerns. If you're in no rush then maybe just hold off for a month while some early bugs hopefully get fixed.

Got ya, that’s good to know… ps app really made it read like a PS4 port with minor upgrades… as far as 120fps, I’m still using a 60” 1080p led dinosaur I’ve had for like 9 years, really wanting to get a lg cx or c1 soon

18 minutes ago, mwynn05 said:

Got ya, that’s good to know… ps app really made it read like a PS4 port with minor upgrades… as far as 120fps, I’m still using a 60” 1080p led dinosaur I’ve had for like 9 years, really wanting to get a lg cx or c1 soon

It is smoother at 120 fps but not in a 'wow this is amazing' sort of way, to me anyway. I'm lucky enough to have a 65" LG C9, which for TV and movies is superb and is obviously decent for games too. I'm sure you'll be happy if you are able to get you hands on an OLED TV at some point.

• Agree 1
14 hours ago, peanutt2000 said:

The fact you can’t be a real driver in real season start is an absolute shocker for me, they’ve removed championship mode as well, so in the official F1 game you can’t be a real driver apart from in a one off Grand Prix mode, that’s like buying fifa and only been able to be play with real teams in a friendly.

If you go to Grand Prix mode and tab across there's an F1 Championship option...

• Agree 2

Ok broke down and bought already 😂.. ps5 only got to play the Bahrain gp that is available while the rest of the game downloaded.. the adaptive triggers.. specifically braking are HUGE help on the  controller.. ffb in general seems much improved. I felt like the game drove really well in very limited time (turn 10 still sucks). Can’t wait to start braking point soon as I’ve avoided all YouTube spoilers. The it will be on to myteam

Edited by mwynn05
  • Like 2

The lack of liveries was a shocker for me. Same for suits and helmets really since we had more choice last year. I hoped maybe they were hidden in the first pitpass but that was mostly rubbish in my mind. Glad I didn ‘t bother with deluxe. I am finding it difficult to get my TMX wheel settings right compared to last year. I expected my team to evolve a bit more than it did. But I only made it to the race weekend when the corrupted save killed it for me.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:02 AM, Eplehuset said:

First impression:

That stuttering feel on cockpit view is annonying every year edpecially on triple. It feels like 30fps gaming to me plus temporal AA bluring, not so great. I think that stuttering comes from micro moves of helmet.

22 hours ago, mwynn05 said:

Ok broke down and bought already 😂.. ps5 only got to play the Bahrain gp that is available while the rest of the game downloaded.. the adaptive triggers.. specifically braking are HUGE help on the  controller.. ffb in general seems much improved. I felt like the game drove really well in very limited time (turn 10 still sucks). Can’t wait to start braking point soon as I’ve avoided all YouTube spoilers. The it will be on to myteam

Agreed on the adaptive triggers on the Dualsense controller.  Really makes the driving in the game so much more immersive and gives so much more feel for what the cars are doing. 

Sadly that is the only positive for me. I’ve been very positive and defensive about Codemasters and the F1 games in the past but I can’t deny I’m majorly disappointed in the current state of F1 2021, I don’t know what else to call it expect just simply a ‘mess’.  
To me, in its current state it is in no way shape or form a release-worthy build of the game with the amount of bugs, …unfinished character models in cutscenes, poor performance for replays/highlights, grainy visuals that look worse than any last gen F1 game, broken HDR, broken gear shifts on the F2 cars, …the list goes on and on and on. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure trying to develop a game with all that’s been going on around the world last year and this year can’t have been easy so I really do sympathise for how challenging things must have been (and still are) for the development team.  Can imagine there’s a whole lot of crunching going on behind the scenes to try and get the game up to the standard people would expect for a release-quality game.  

I don’t know. I feel that releasing the game this early hasn’t done them any favours and what we’re effectively playing is still a very early beta build of the game, and in all truthfulness it probably should have had its release date pushed back a few months at the very least.  

It really pains me to say it as the F1 games have been easily my most played and most enjoyed games for many years, …but I’m really struggling to find any enjoyment in this newest entry.  Will probably go back to just playing last years game and revisit F1 2021 in a few months time once a few patches have come along and the game is more to the standard it should have been for its release.

Edited by stephensmattlee
  • Like 1

Why on earth did they upsize the HUD windows Positions (top left)  and Delta time (top right)? They are gigantic! And approaching a back-marker, causing a change to the top left window, feels like losing a quarter of screen estate. And it is not like this has made it easier/quicker to apprehend the information; change of fonts compared to F1 2020 has IMHO made it more difficult.

/ Xbox Series X

Edited by erik3375
System