Jump to content Jump to content

Change AI difficulty between sessions.


Recommended Posts

Yeah I can't find a way either. I remember reading before release that someone said this had been stripped out so wouldn't surprise me with the way this release is going 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Yeah I can't find a way either. I remember reading before release that someone said this had been stripped out so wouldn't surprise me with the way this release is going 

That would be moronic to say the least.  A couple of years ago you weren't allowed either and there was a massive outcry where after they patched it in...and every year since there are threads on how to do this.  If they took it out...man I have no words.

  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just hold the same button down as with previous versions. It doesn't show the logo in the bottom right anymore (they need to change that) but a screen comes up enabling you to change the difficulty. Tried this last night and it worked.

  • Thanks 1
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be a crazy change, Practice sessions in F1 2020 were impossible at the AI I used to qualifying and races at. I am using AI 95 in F1 2020 for Qualifying and Races but have to use 75 in practice to have a chance of completing the Quai sim session in particular. Need to be able to change between sessions

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually in my career mode ready for my first race in F2 and you CAN change the AI settings between sessions. Just highlight the race option at the bottom of the screen and choose settings. Easily done

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is so frustrating. Because the AI level is all over the place track-to-track, it's essential to be able to quit out of a session if you've got the level too low/high. I used to quit and change it when it was loading all the time in F12020.

Not possible anymore. 😞

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can do everything you could in F1 2020. From the Workstation, right hand panel you can change the session length, from the panels at the bottom, highlight the session you want and go to settings. There you can change the AI before that session starts. Just like F1 2020. Just the screen has changed a bit that's all.

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, neiluk03 said:

You can do everything you could in F1 2020. From the Workstation, right hand panel you can change the session length, from the panels at the bottom, highlight the session you want and go to settings. There you can change the AI before that session starts. Just like F1 2020. Just the screen has changed a bit that's all.

It is nothing like F1 2020. Codies have always been all over the place when it comes to AI difficulty. Oh, 100 is what you want to race at? Cool, but forget about training programs, can't complete them. Oh, you thought you could stay at 100 every race? Nope, next race you'll be OP so put that up to 110. And the following race, AI will be OP so put that down to 93. And don't forget to put your difficulty to 80 for practice sessions if you want to complete them!

In 2020, you would go back to that computer between every session. You could also restart a session if you found it too low/high, and during loading adjust it on the fly. Now you're at the computer only once, before FP1, and never again until the next race. And you can't change difficulty during loading. So once you set the difficulty there, you can't change it again until next race.

And this is problem because Codemasters is embarrassingly bad at balancing difficulty as explained before. Since I won't know how over/under powered the AI will be on one track to another, I have no way of finding a sweet spot. On Bahrain anything more than 85 is suicide for me, while in Montreal I'm OP if I didn't at least set it to 95. So if by mistake, like I did, I left the difficulty at 95 and start Monaco, and during qualifying I find out my team mate is pulling 3 seconds a lap on me, and both Haas cars are a second and a half faster, I'm screwed. I just nuked my season, can't change it back. Even if 95 was fine in Spain.

It's a really stupid thing to remove if you can't balance your game.

EDIT : typo.

Edited by v12vanquish135
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, v12vanquish135 said:

 

In 2020, you would go back to that computer between every session. You could also restart a session if you found it too low/high, and during loading adjust it on the fly. Now you're at the computer only once, before FP1, and never again until the next race. And you can't change difficulty during loading. So once you set the difficulty there, you can't change it again until next race.

 

Not true, you do it from your workstation as I said in my post, nothing has changed except the screen you do it from. In F1 2020 if you had started FP1 and restarted you couldn't change it just like now. But when you finish FP1 in F1 2021 you go back to workstation and you can change the AI and session length before you start FP2. I always do the Practice sessions at 75 because at 95 you can't complete the Quali sim. I then change to AI 95 before I start Qualifying itself and use that for the race. At easier tracks I may go to 100 or 97 etc but the point is nothing has changed from F1 2020. 

Edited by neiluk03
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya I gotta say I just don't see it. After fp1 finished, I went back and could not seem to find any way of adjusting the length, and couldn't find any settings for ai difficulty. I was also looking for the safety car frequency selection and couldn't find that anywhere either. Do you have more detail on where to make those changes?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator

Retire from your session instead of ending it, and you should go back to options where you can change the difficulty. You will then go back to your laptop workstation and can change in the screen following it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The difficulty balancing is really something Codemasters should get a grip on because I can't understand that after so many years they can make a game this good but can't get the difficulty balancing right. I heard the explanations every year but they don't make sense. Most people complain about it so it's not down to a player not being consistent enough. It's the AI that's not consistent.

  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Retire from your session instead of ending it, and you should go back to options where you can change the difficulty. You will then go back to your laptop workstation and can change in the screen following it.

But if you retire from, let's say, a Quali 1, wouldn't that mean you start P20 and it's like you missed it?

Edited by AgusNC
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't go back to P1 and do it over at an easier level but you never could, just retire and go to the workstation and edit the difficulty for P2. There is no penalty for stopping P1 early and completing the programs on P2 or P3. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neiluk03 said:

You can't go back to P1 and do it over at an easier level but you never could, just retire and go to the workstation and edit the difficulty for P2. There is no penalty for stopping P1 early and completing the programs on P2 or P3. 

And how do you edit the difficulty if you want to modify it between Q1, Q2 and/or Q3? You used to be able to do that, many people used it (of course me included) but now you just can't

 

Sometimes you start a quali and it turns out you're too OP/the AI is too OP, so you tweak it before Q2/Q3

 

If you choose "Retire from session" mid-qualy you just start P20, so that doesn't work

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AgusNC said:

And how do you edit the difficulty if you want to modify it between Q1, Q2 and/or Q3? You used to be able to do that, many people used it (of course me included) but now you just can't

 

Sometimes you start a quali and it turns out you're too OP/the AI is too OP, so you tweak it before Q2/Q3

 

If you choose "Retire from session" mid-qualy you just start P20, so that doesn't work

I can't speak for F1 2018 or 2019 but you couldn't edit between quali sessions in 2020. Once you started Q1 you were committed to the AI level until before the race

Edited by neiluk03
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

After every FP session you can change your AI level when you see the “computer screen”, just go to your settings

 

once you are in Q1 you must play Q2 and Q3 with the same AI level. Before the race you can edit it when you think you need so. You dont have to retire any session

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neiluk03 said:

I can't speak for F1 2018 or 2019 but you couldn't edit between quali sessions in 2020. Once you started Q1 you were committed to the AI level until before the race

Yes you could in F1 2020, I did it all the time and I don't even own F1 2018/19. You pressed TAB in the loading screen in between Quali sessions and you could modify the AI there. That's what we want back.

 

1 hour ago, Jotew said:

After every FP session you can change your AI level when you see the “computer screen”, just go to your settings

 

once you are in Q1 you must play Q2 and Q3 with the same AI level. Before the race you can edit it when you think you need so. You dont have to retire any session

Same as above, you could change the AI in between quali sessions in F1 2020, you can't anymore, which is what we want back.

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2021 at 3:13 PM, BarryBL said:

Retire from your session instead of ending it, and you should go back to options where you can change the difficulty. You will then go back to your laptop workstation and can change in the screen following it.

We need to have this in the loading screen again.

So in my example, im doing one shot in myteam to find out what is the right difficulty for me, now i only can what difficulty i first chose. If 110 was too hard in previous games i could quit to main menu, join back in and change in the loading screen. I cannot do that now. Even in grand prix i have to always start a new race to change, with all the 95432954 settings it takes a while and i think its really annoying and frustrating for me, and i think im not alone with that one

  • Agree 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Came here looking for a solution. Not being able to quit a session to restart it in a different difficulty is incredibly frustrating. It wouldn't be that big of a problem if the difficulty didn't change so much from track to track.

You can change it from the workstation but there's no way to go back to the workstation without retiring from the session. In F12020 it was so easy: I'd quit to the main many and came back to the game and kit the options key. Voilà. Super easy. I hope Codemasters reconsiders and re-adds this.

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I do it is to accelerate time to the end of the session. This will take you back to the workstation, and at the bottom you can press the button that takes you into settings, and then select simulation settings, and this will allow you to change the AI setting.  If you use the exit icon from the top menu, while in a session, it takes you straight to the next session. This is only for the FP sessions.

I don`t know any way to change the setting between qualification, if doing the 3 sessions, as you don`t go back to the workstation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...