Jump to content Jump to content

Kerbs are too deadly now

The updated curb physics absolutely suck! My first laps of F1 2021 where on Suzuka, my favourite track, but not anymore...all thanks to these awful new physics 🙄

The T1 outside curb is ready to murder you every lap if you run a tiny bit wide and the T2 inside one is made of bloody ice. You cannot take turn 3 flat and you cannot drive over the T8 curb quickly because you'll drop the rear at Degner 2. The outside curb at Spoon is also lethal - this is just 1 track I'm moaning about, the rest are awful too

The most frustrating thing is is that the AI as usual can get away with running over these murderous curbs no prob. But the player puts a smidgen of rubber and round she goes 🙃

I do like the new handling model, definitely a step up from last year imo. I'm loving the repaired braking system and better tyre physics, much more fun so far

**** the curbs! What are your thoughts on them?

Edited by DerpTheThird
Minor adjustments
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 5

When watching F1 on TV you can see how drivers attack kerbs (Martin Brundle famously points it out every race) and if you go watch onboards from this year you can see that, in fact lewis was doing it so much in Austria he damaged the car.

In the 2021 game you just look at most kerbs the wrong way and the car just spins. They have made the kerbs ridiculous this year 

The game handling was trending in the right direction after the input of F1 drivers last year. This year the handling has gone backwards, high speed is too punishing (yes the cars are different this season but go watch the F1 drivers interviews they say they are basically back to last years handling levels now according to Max and Lewis)

Edited by TomAAA
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 7
2 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

When watching F1 on TV you can see how drivers attack kerbs (Martin Brundle famously points it out every race) and if you go watch onboards from this year you can see that, in fact lewis was doing it so much in Austria he damaged the car.

In the 2021 game you just look at most kerbs the wrong way and the car just spins. They have made the kerbs ridiculous this year 

Any particular tracks you've noticed this with? I found Austria to be a tad forgiving still. 

1 hour ago, TomAAA said:

The game handling was trending in the right direction after the input of F1 drivers last year. This year the handling has gone backwards, high speed is too punishing (yes the cars are different this season but go watch the F1 drivers interviews they say they are basically back to last years handling levels now according to Max and Lewis)

In the bit I played I found certain curbs a bit easy to spin out (Bahrain) yet just making sure I ease the throttle in when using the kerb and not full throttling it solves the spinning issues.

• Agree 1

I've not noticed too many unexpected physics errors. I agree the kerbs are more volatile than last year but if you try putting the power down full-throttle on a real life kerb then you would also get similar adhesion problems, surely?   It's not like you gently touch the kerb while feathering the throttle and next thing you know you're on the teacups at the fairground.

I've done a few spins but that's because the cars feel different to me currently and i'm still expecting the same downforce and it's not anymore. User error can't really be blamed on homicidal kerbs.

It's possible i've got a completely different driving style to you though and you're noticing it and i'm not for that reason. 

• Agree 1
  • Administrator

By Design. I believe they are designed to be a little more unforgiving this time around (more of a risk vs reward concept here, most were non-existent last year)

@David Greco might be the man for this one. 

• Agree 3

For me it's pretty much only if I mount the kerb with the near side front tyre to the apex. You used to get away with it but not anymore. Not too much of a problem as it's usually always by mistake. The kerbs the drivers attack in real life seem just as useful in the game.

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, TFBISE16 said:

Ride height is way more important this year than you think.

Ah ok. I remember someone saying that actually. And I have noticed the quick TT times use really high ride height. I'll keep it in mind

1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

By Design. I believe they are designed to be a little more unforgiving this time around (more of a risk vs reward concept here, most were non-existent last year)

@David Greco might be the man for this one. 

A little? Some of them definitely been another check

Also every year you have to find out how the setup works, its so dumb cause basicly the game is the same with the same tools however you dont know what to, its a joke.

4 hours ago, Pilske said:

Also every year you have to find out how the setup works, its so dumb cause basicly the game is the same with the same tools however you dont know what to, its a joke.

Personally I put loads of time into setups so finding out the differences between games isn't too difficult usually

It seems the car behaviour is quite different when you race in the Grand Prix option or in My Team. Ai in Grand Prix are too fast on straights, too aggressive compared to My Team on the same AI level. Also when take kerbs in Grand Prix a big change you will spin. In My Team it feels much better. 

Also in Grand Prix mode I had several times 5 or 10 AI cars did crash in one incident and DNF. 

Edited by RWa
13 hours ago, DerpTheThird said:

Personally I put loads of time into setups so finding out the differences between games isn't too difficult usually

It feels like they dont have a clue what they are doing, cause in 1 game you need low tyre pressure and next game its something different, also anti roll bar, 1 game its all to the left, next game is all to the right, it doesnt make any sense

3 minutes ago, Pilske said:

It feels like they dont have a clue what they are doing, cause in 1 game you need low tyre pressure and next game its something different, also anti roll bar, 1 game its all to the left, next game is all to the right, it doesnt make any sense

Yep, you understood correctly.

The higher downforce setups and changes to the ride height are nice and finally more realistic, but in general all they do is artificially change a few random settings to make everything seem new and fresh
 in reality the setups have not changed at all since 2010 (!), only slightly the way they react on track.

They pretty much swap the in-game setup settings around by 180 degrees, not sure if anyone else noticed that from game to game every year. Then here on the forums you see people defending every step that Codemasters makes - because they claim it's all legit so they believe it - without the casuals having any realistic understanding or engineering background knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1