Jump to content Jump to content

Kerbs are too deadly now

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Pilske said:

It feels like they dont have a clue what they are doing, cause in 1 game you need low tyre pressure and next game its something different, also anti roll bar, 1 game its all to the left, next game is all to the right, it doesnt make any sense

True true. I rate David Greco but get somebody whos actualy raced an F1 car maybe, they're very different from a GT car or Formula 3 😆

Every year they change 1 core part of the handling and the rest goes to 💩 

Edited by DerpTheThird
On 7/13/2021 at 5:52 PM, SASColfer said:

For me it's pretty much only if I mount the kerb with the near side front tyre to the apex. You used to get away with it but not anymore. Not too much of a problem as it's usually always by mistake. The kerbs the drivers attack in real life seem just as useful in the game.

I'll probably put some time in and study the tracks if we're going to have to adapt to curbs like this - see what lines drivers take

14 hours ago, RWa said:

It seems the car behaviour is quite different when you race in the Grand Prix option or in My Team. Ai in Grand Prix are too fast on straights, too aggressive compared to My Team on the same AI level. Also when take kerbs in Grand Prix a big change you will spin. In My Team it feels much better. 

Also in Grand Prix mode I had several times 5 or 10 AI cars did crash in one incident and DNF. 

No surprise. Lack of consistency from Codies aha, it's something that needs to be explained IMO, like why should us players have to deal with 2 different types of AI 🤷‍♂️ They should be the same

The GP AI all have rocket engines, maybe the Rocket League colab had anything to do with that. I haven't played MT yet so can't speak for what they're like

In a way, doesn't things like pressures and setups needing to be different each year relate to the real sport when teams rarely have the same car to the year prior and things like pressures need realising? Things are rarely the same year to year in F1.

And I think the AI in GP Mode are in fully upgraded cars. Doesn't quite make sense why the player would suffer in comparison though.

• Agree 3

I uninstalled the game already LOL... May give it another go if any patches make any difference. I think for the casual player, the handling of these cars is insane, even in the beginners lobby its just a spin fest event, just finished the Netherlands race, maximum ride height (just to test the ground clearance) and some curbs just have no forgiveness at all. I know there's a lot of learning to be done, but on a game I play once or twice a week I don't think I'm gonna get the hang of it 😉 Sadly its the first F1 game from Codemasters I can truly say I dislike from a early stage, that with the increasing prices of the game. Its going to start appearing on EA Play Pro, so after this, I will never buy it retail ever again. ;(

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 3
13 minutes ago, cahax0r said:

I uninstalled the game already LOL... May give it another go if any patches make any difference. I think for the casual player, the handling of these cars is insane, even in the beginners lobby its just a spin fest event, just finished the Netherlands race, maximum ride height (just to test the ground clearance) and some curbs just have no forgiveness at all. I know there's a lot of learning to be done, but on a game I play once or twice a week I don't think I'm gonna get the hang of it 😉 Sadly its the first F1 game from Codemasters I can truly say I dislike from a early stage, that with the increasing prices of the game. Its going to start appearing on EA Play Pro, so after this, I will never buy it retail ever again. ;(

I've had lots more play time on 2021 now, you just need to play around with the set up, it's way different to 2020 I've found!

• Agree 2

Looks like people cracked the code on the kerbs here alright. Flat kerbs will treat you well and the tall, angled and sausage kerbs will literally take you for a spin. Couple that with the fact that eating a tall kerb can be somewhat counteracted by gentling down on the throttle and it all seems to align with the diffuser and the whole floor of the car playing a bigger role in the total downforce these vehicles produce.

Now regarding the setups, I have no clue. I make my own setups and every tick on each of those sliders have the effect I expect on the handling of the car. So much that I feel that the time I put in there is rightfully rewarded and the whole setup aspect positively became a mini game in itself to me.

There's not a single setup that went unchanged from my F1 2019 spreadsheet to my F1 2020 one, but the differences all fell in line to the improvements made on the driving model and tyre physics. So there was no "all the way to the left" becoming "all the way to the right" to me. The same will most definitely apply to my soon-to-be F1 2021 rendition of the document.

F1 is the only racing game I play consistently, but it sure feels like a system where the changes I make in the car setup have the expected effect on the way it goes vroom vrooming on the tarmac is quite satisfying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
13 hours ago, FullThrottle152 said:

Disagree, love the physics in F1 2021. 

I've grown to love it now that I've fully figured out the setups! Some curbs are still lethal but it's just a case of learning to avoid them

On 7/13/2021 at 7:34 PM, Pilske said:

Also every year you have to find out how the setup works, its so dumb cause basicly the game is the same with the same tools however you dont know what to, its a joke.

Hardly 'a joke'. The handling model has been improved so it makes sense that the optimal settings will be different. 

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, Joethe155 said:

In a way, doesn't things like pressures and setups needing to be different each year relate to the real sport when teams rarely have the same car to the year prior and things like pressures need realising? Things are rarely the same year to year in F1.

And I think the AI in GP Mode are in fully upgraded cars. Doesn't quite make sense why the player would suffer in comparison though.

It seems quite arbitrary, IRL teams want to run minimal tire pressures, and the "minimum" tire pressure and camber are set by Pirelli, and teams don't have 11 different rear wings (They essentially have a high, medium and low downforce wing), and RedBull doesnt show up to races with a (1-1  or 2-2 ride height). The high rake angle is the basis of their design, And the "differential" adjustments on a F1 car are much more sophisticated than the games version, (but that is a level of complexity that is probably too much for console game where the average player is a 10 year old kid that plays the game for 2 weeks)

But if you took those out of the game, people would complain they don't have enough setup options. The soft front stiff rear "meta" setups on youtube from last year, would make every driver look like Mazepin in a real race. The adjustments are random meaningless numbers, but the good players can "feel" the difference, and the rest of us just copy them. 

Edited by ChicagoSeminole
3 hours ago, azombie1223 said:

Am I the only one having no issues with the kerbs? I'm racing without TCS on the Xbox controller.

Same here, no Issues at all. And i drive in cockpit cam with all assists of with a wheel.

used the normal setup and James setups from f1 carsetups. 
Some kerbs you arent supose to go over. I like the new design. Before their where so much complain about codemasters only had flat kerbs in the F1 games, now its fixed 😊 You cant take all kerbs in full speed.. I

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, azombie1223 said:

Am I the only one having no issues with the kerbs? I'm racing without TCS on the Xbox controller.

1 hour ago, Cappachino78 said:

Same here, no Issues at all. And i drive in cockpit cam with all assists of with a wheel.

used the normal setup and James setups from f1 carsetups. 
Some kerbs you arent supose to go over. I like the new design. Before their where so much complain about codemasters only had flat kerbs in the F1 games, now its fixed 😊 You cant take all kerbs in full speed.. I

After a few more races it seems to be those used to just putting their foot down no matter the location, angle or balance of the car that are having the most trouble. I know, that was me on 2020 lol, it just didn't punish you for it outside of a couple of notorious kerbs (Bahrain, Hungary). 

Now that I've got used to making sure I'm on tarmac before I put the pedal down, or at the very least on flat 'run off' style kerbs first, and just watching I'm not taking rounded or pointed kerbs in a way that would cause me to spin, it's a lot easier. 

Just takes some getting used to if you're willing to change.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I've just done a few TT laps round Austria so far but as above I can't say I've noticed anything particularly different about the kerb interactions (using the default setup). I guess I must have been too cautious about accelerating on kerbs on F1 2020!

I'll add that from some videos I'd seen I was half expecting to find myself spinning off the track all the time initially but I'm really not. I even double-checked I'd got TCS off as I was expecting more trouble. Austria is far from the most demanding track of course.

• Agree 1
4 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I've just done a few TT laps round Austria so far but as above I can't say I've noticed anything particularly different about the kerb interactions (using the default setup). I guess I must have been too cautious about accelerating on kerbs on F1 2020!

I'll add that from some videos I'd seen I was half expecting to find myself spinning off the track all the time initially but I'm really not. I even double-checked I'd got TCS off as I was expecting more trouble. Austria is far from the most demanding track of course.

I found Catalunya very tricky and France, surprisingly, was trying hard to chuck me off but cos I'd always viewed france as foot down, lift occasionally, maybe that's why. 

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

I found Catalunya very tricky and France, surprisingly, was trying hard to chuck me off but cos I'd always viewed france as foot down, lift occasionally, maybe that's why. 

France is the YEET track lmao

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

Shouldn't be accelerating on these

asphalt-on-race-track-curbs-260nw-1052673479.jpeg.6bc9bbea0d9683703bdd1d33db9f7a51.jpeg

But 2020 as long as you were pointed the right way, you were good. 

I'm not one to stick to the old game if I don't like the new. I grew acustom to 2020s handling, being able to feel the finite limit across the curbs and corners - just need to play 21 loads

2 hours ago, DerpTheThird said:

I'm not one to stick to the old game if I don't like the new. I grew acustom to 2020s handling, being able to feel the finite limit across the curbs and corners - just need to play 21 loads

My advice is use flashbacks to practice and learn which kerbs can he abused and how to attack each corner. No shame in using it when learning to adapt.

16 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Hardly 'a joke'. The handling model has been improved so it makes sense that the optimal settings will be different. 

Lol it is a joke, cause changing the camber to the right in 2020 has to have the same effect in 2021 more lateral grip but the thing is, it changes every year. The effects of changing particular parts in setup has to have the same effect every time, like if you say this color is red and next year its purple then people will call you a maniac.

My problem is that I'm steering with d-pad and the slightest inaccuracies that put you into a kerb just end up causing you to lose the car. It's not fun. Grip also feels like there's less than last year's game so I'm losing the car because of that as well. Also not fun. (Though the AI seems to not suffer from this at the exact same difficulty I played at last year... Joy!)

Anybody who has played asseto Corsa comp is used to kerbs like this . Imola has a few deadly ones also Monza chicane is a no go . All of them really but frustrating to begin with it actually makes the driving more challenging as you got to be careful but agree that the ai are just immune to them which is disappointing but not a surprise ... 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Pilske said:

Lol it is a joke, cause changing the camber to the right in 2020 has to have the same effect in 2021 more lateral grip but the thing is, it changes every year. The effects of changing particular parts in setup has to have the same effect every time, like if you say this color is red and next year its purple then people will call you a maniac.

Haven't played 2021 yet, but my camber setups did change from 2019 to 2020 and all the modifications I had to do made total sense to how camber dictates cornering ability and straight line speed.

It would be more helpful to discuss in more concrete terms as "camber to the left" and "camber to the right" alone are quite meaningless. They do not account for the changes made in the handling model and are opaque to the rest of the setup.

We all know that kerbs have a much greater potential of disrupting your platform (thus reducing grip) and it seems that grip levels were adjusted to more closely reflect the difference between, say, rubberized tarmac and grass. I'm totally expecting to change my camber setups considering this.

Now if it ever came down to have adding negative camber actually reduce my grip on high speed turns riding over flat kerbs? Then I'd be with you, mate. 

• Agree 1