Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 Braking Point

I personally am thoroughly enjoying the story and am glad codies took the time to give us this labour of love. It may not be everybody’s cup of tea but I want to put out a positive voice in the face of all the negativity.

Great work Codemasters!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 days?  It was only supposed to take 6 hours!  

Some people will like it, some people won't. It's the way the world works.

In the interests of fairness; what would be your suggestion of a better storyline instead then?   It's always easier to criticise without having to suggest any remedial action to fix the issues but if you can construct a better story scenario for them then that'll give them some basis of improving it for if/when they do a storyline again! 

43 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

3 days?  It was only supposed to take 6 hours!  

Some people will like it, some people won't. It's the way the world works.

In the interests of fairness; what would be your suggestion of a better storyline instead then?   It's always easier to criticise without having to suggest any remedial action to fix the issues but if you can construct a better story scenario for them then that'll give them some basis of improving it for if/when they do a storyline again! 

Couple of thoughts after a couple of hours play with it. 

Commentary should have been in races. Yuo have these dramatic scenes and then the race loads and it's just... F1 2021, commentators should have kept talking about the incidents after they happened. 

I'm not far in so maybe it will surprise me but involvement from F1 drivers in the storyline. It's only really the generic race scenes that link your story to the wider world, and it just feels jarring. 

Does your mom have to call you really, those conversations are not smoothly recorded and a bit cringe. 

Like IGN said, it suffers from having to be E for everyone in ways that the Netflix series it's inspired by doesn't, that's not their fault of course, but it does hurt the experience. 

• Agree 1

Gimmick.

It doesn't really work either. There are 3 levels to pick. The middle one is too easy. 'Hard' is too hard. (Especially in the F2 car) I couldn't see anywhere to change the AI level like in other modes.

I would say it would be nice if they have different stories depending on if you failed/achieved the target, but I won't say that, as I'd rather the devs didn't waste their time with this trash. Get the tracks up-to-date first.

Edited by stevetemp7
16 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Couple of thoughts after a couple of hours play with it. 

Commentary should have been in races. Yuo have these dramatic scenes and then the race loads and it's just... F1 2021, commentators should have kept talking about the incidents after they happened. 

I'm not far in so maybe it will surprise me but involvement from F1 drivers in the storyline. It's only really the generic race scenes that link your story to the wider world, and it just feels jarring. 

Does your mom have to call you really, those conversations are not smoothly recorded and a bit cringe. 

Like IGN said, it suffers from having to be E for everyone in ways that the Netflix series it's inspired by doesn't, that's not their fault of course, but it does hurt the experience. 

I agree with the commentary part. Just having them talk generically about the incident(s) would be a simple addition that does wonders for the experience. I mean, they're scripted events so they always happen the same way so references to it would be nice. 

I'm just starting Australia in Season 2 (season opener). The only real driver involved cutscene is where you do the press conference at the start and Ocon pulls faces at you while Lando looks like he's had enough of life.  I know there's another one coming up as in the trailer there's a pushing match. Still, it feels detached from the world of F1 to me. Like you & Casper (and kinda Devon although i've barely seen him) are the only two racers in the world. 

The voice acting is terrible for the females. His mum sounds like a woman from a game I played ages ago where she runs a Triad gang. Casper's wife hasn't spoken too much yet but she had a line where her child is jumping on a table and something about the delivery felt weird to me.

I already feel like i'm going to be done in like 2 more hours so it's been okay, but not wowed me... yet. 

• Agree 1

It is quite fun and well done, but I don't see any point in playing it more than once and not starting it again until next year.

That's the negative thing about stories: once you've seen everything, you don't have the motivation to see it again.

• Agree 1

Finally made it to Austria 2021 and i'm guessing i'm nearing the end of the story and unless there's a twist, Casper is slotting right into the top 5 of my least favourite game characters in any series. 

I imagine that's an unpopular opinion but his wife seems nice, so there is that to fall back on. 

Not to be critical, but:
- Hard difficulty seems to be way too easy - e.g. people winning in a Williams at Paul Ricard after what, 8 laps?

- It's a story mode, but you play one season as one driver and the next you're magically transformed into his teammate. That doesn't make any sense from a "story" point of view.

- Some of the accents... Aiden's mom, her accent is unrecognisable.

It's a great idea, but could be so much better. Also looks way too short.

• Like 1

My opinion:

Braking Point is a long-awaited story mode for me.  I love this mode, I had a lot of fun playing through it. As soon as the game was activated, I played it, I think I had it through in just 6-7 hours. It may not be the longest mode, ok, but this mode is so good that I think that's okay. I'm glad Codemasters created this mode and I hope there will be a sequel: DDD I enjoyed it so much that
I liked it so much that I played it through right away. I started at 6:30 p.m. and at 1:30 am I was done.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, stevetemp7 said:

Gimmick.

It doesn't really work either. There are 3 levels to pick. The middle one is too easy. 'Hard' is too hard. (Especially in the F2 car) I couldn't see anywhere to change the AI level like in other modes.

I would say it would be nice if they have different stories depending on if you failed/achieved the target, but I won't say that, as I'd rather the devs didn't waste their time with this trash. Get the tracks up-to-date first.

Its an F1 Game first then a story mode (im glad they didn't throw all there resources at it)

9 hours ago, LunarFoxz said:

Its an F1 Game first then a story mode (im glad they didn't throw all there resources at it)

To use a quote when it was revealed: "... which has been years in the making..."

It got better towards the end when the characters weren't being utter morons.   As a first attempt (not really counting 2019's as anything more than dipping a toe in the water), i'd say it isn't that bad.

However, it's also not that long and you can tell the amount of work that went into getting it to this far.  So, if it took a few years to make (as they've stated) and they're wanting to expand on it in future then I imagine that we won't be seeing it again for at least another two years. Unless they're heavily in progress on the next years edition already (which is strong faith that the mode would go down well with it's core playerbase!)

There are loads of potential stories they could do so there's always room to expand but I do think it'll have to be bi-yearly output as there isn't enough time in a year to implement it and focus on other aspects of the game that people will be moaning about. 

12 hours ago, Schneehase said:

To use a quote when it was revealed: "... which has been years in the making..."

But it was/is never the main focus of the game despite it taking years to develop

My opinion, I really liked it. Something new for the series and quite well implemented. And those cutscenes...looks really nice. Well done! So for me, it brought something new and a bit of that feeling being in the paddock 😎

It could be more dynamic of course, but my guess is it would take much more time and resources. As it is not the main focus and the purpose of this game, I'm happy they still focus on improving the game in other areas.

is anyone else having issues with sound while playing Braking Point? I can't hear anything from the engineering/Jeff when I select the command (since they didn't add voice command to the XSX). Even when I complete the race, I don't hear anything from Jeff. 

I really enjoyed it actually. Very predictable and I wish it was more choices to be made that have different outcomes on the story  not just a single story. Also was disappointed it was only 2 seasons i thought it was going to go into a 3rd season. I should of known by fifa but was anyone disappointed there wasn't another couple of seasons?

It was okay. But it made me wonder what if some of those RPG elements could been embedded in Driver or MyTeam career? I guess majority of players want to create their own story rather than follow an existing one in game - we have real F1 championship for this.