Sign in to follow this  

4k HD Texture Pack for GRID:A

My machine is more than capable of running this HD texture pack, however I'm a little unsure of my boys rig;

AMD FX 6300 @ 3.5Ghz
MSI HD 7870 2GB
8 GB Ddr 3 1600mhz
Windows 8.1

Will this run the HD update at 1080p?

At a guess, so long as you disable or lower some GPU heavy effects then it'll probably be OK (note increasing texture resolution doesn't have a massive effect on GPU usage, it does however eat up a lot of VRAM)

You 'should' be ok :)

Best thing to do is just install it and if it doesn't work you can disable it via the Steam DLC manager.

yeah based on those specs you should be Ok anyway. Autosport looks a very impressive game but the Ego engine is quite old now so it shouldn't be a problem as most machines should be able to handle it. I'm pretty sure my specs are  fine as I'm a step or 2 further up than you and I can run all of CM's games at max 

good to know, thanks guys. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't, my machine has dual 7970s so I'll be fine, but my boy was asking me and wasn't sure. I'll have to upgrade him at some point...maybe even let him have one of my gpu's as don't REALLY need two! lol

@Loore I'm also interested in the mod ability of GAS. Do we have access to modify these textures for modding, and is there any planned modding tools, or are the files relatively open to modding? I'm purely interested in the mods that prolong the productivity of this title, not break any hard work that you guys have done ;)

GRID:RC and GRID 2 had some amazing mods written for it, I'm hoping that as GAS relies on the same engine, this should be the case also...

The High Res Texture Pack is now available to preload guys

Steam is showing me its 11.9

OOPS looks like its 4.3GB HI RES.... GAS + HI RES 11.9GB in total
:P

mcnab said:
The High Res Texture Pack is now available to preload guys

Steam is showing me its 11.9GB
:P
maybe for the US guys but seeing as us Europeans don't even have the game yet it's not worth worrying about once I've got my copy installed and ready to roll then I'll look to download it especially as I can't put any DLC onto a game I don't have yet.

I'm in the uk, and as its such a big download i thought i'd give the guys with limited bandwidth/slow connections the heads up
;)

mcnab said:
I'm in the uk, and as its such a big download i thought i'd give the guys with limited bandwidth/slow connections the heads up
;)
I'd love to use it but until the games on my system I can't worry about it.

RobertKNL said:
mcnab said:
;)
I'd love to use it but until the games on my system I can't worry about it.
When you go to the preloaded game on your library, you can select ''DLC'' on the right hand side of the page. There you can install the High res pack. I'm not sure whether I succeeded at that though, I clicked on it and it was directly loaded...I
I'm getting a disc copy so can't do any of that yet anyway

Do you have to be running in 4k resolution to enable the 4k textures? What do you see at 1920x1080?

No you dont have to actually run 4k, that said, on 1080p you hardly see any differences.

You will only see differences on the car textures and even in 1080p you will see a big improvement in the car close ups that happen in replays/menus etc if you actually do the comparison. Without the HD pack car close ups simply look noticable blurry, with the pack that is gone. Im very happy for it cause it makes the cars look very good and makes GAS even more competitive in the gfx deparment compared to the other racing games even though it still uses the "old" last gen engine. I cant wait to see what CM will have in store for their next engine. If they make a noticable improvement Forza etc really might have a problem. 

rypeL said:
You will only see differences on the car textures and even in 1080p you will see a big improvement in the car close ups that happen in replays/menus etc if you actually do the comparison. Without the HD pack car close ups simply look noticable blurry, with the pack that is gone. Im very happy for it cause it makes the cars look very good and makes GAS even more competitive in the gfx deparment compared to the other racing games even though it still uses the "old" last gen engine. I cant wait to see what CM will have in store for their next engine. If they make a noticable improvement Forza etc really might have a problem. 
Agreed I have the texture pack installed on mine too

I can confirm that on my system dual 7970s the hd pack runs without any real loss in performance, and even more incredible, I can confirm that my boys rig running a single hd7870 and a stock fx6300 is absolutely amazing also!

Great work codies, very well optimized on even mid range cards, although it is running in 1080p on my boys machine, it still looks damn nice. But when you look at the game in 4k it's really a sight to behold, especially for such an aging engine. For the next iteration of the engine I hope to see 4k textures accross the board for even the distant scenery etc.

Agreed BioShockerUK, after a few initial gfx teething troubles on my low/mid end notebook, the texture optimisation is superb with a good ramp-up curve.  Even I can benefit from the HD pack with a 2GB m gpu with no discernable additional loss of framerate, very surprised!  The optimisation quality certainly shows, as after tweaking a few settings, autosport runs (and looks) a little better than the older grid 2 used to even. #:-S

I can confirm that on my system dual 7970s the hd pack runs without any real loss in performance, and even more incredible, I can confirm that my boys rig running a single hd7870 and a stock fx6300 is absolutely amazing also!

Great work codies, very well optimized on even mid range cards, although it is running in 1080p on my boys machine, it still looks damn nice. But when you look at the game in 4k it's really a sight to behold, especially for such an aging engine. For the next iteration of the engine I hope to see 4k textures accross the board for even the distant scenery etc.

I'm sorry but while that 7870 card isn't nowhere near as powerfull as your setup, it's still pretty much high end. I used to play Grid 2 pretty smoothly on my old HD5770 (almost max settings). I'm always amazed by the fact that some people rave and cheer when they can play a LAST GEN game on current gen pc hardware. It would be ridiculus if it wasn't possible, not the other way around. Maybe some people just looking for an excuse to show off their pc setups (referring to your dual 7970s).
Lets just say that I'm so overwhelmingly ecstaticly rejoiced that my midrange GTX780 runs this game at max settings (cough, cough).

I'm sorry but while that 7870 card isn't nowhere near as powerfull as your setup, it's still pretty much high end. I used to play Grid 2 pretty smoothly on my old HD5770 (almost max settings). I'm always amazed by the fact that some people rave and cheer when they can play a LAST GEN game on current gen pc hardware. It would be ridiculus if it wasn't possible, not the other way around. Maybe some people just looking for an excuse to show off their pc setups (referring to your dual 7970s).
Lets just say that I'm so overwhelmingly ecstaticly rejoiced that my midrange GTX780 runs this game at max settings (cough, cough).
I was merely stating that a 7870 would be perfectly suitable for playing this game max with HD pack, and it's a relatively cheap card now. It is considered 'mid-range' with the the likes of 7970s and r9 290s and even the GTX counterparts. I'm a long time member of OC.net and I know a great deal of hardware standings, so believe me when I say that 7870 is now a mid-range card( doesn't technology move fast?!), I wasn't boasting at all, it's merely a helpful insight into people wondering whether or not the HD texture pack would run fine on their system. I can confirm that it probably would.

I was merely stating that a 7870 would be perfectly suitable for playing this game max with HD pack, and it's a relatively cheap card now. It is considered 'mid-range' with the the likes of 7970s and r9 290s and even the GTX counterparts. I'm a long time member of OC.net and I know a great deal of hardware standings, so believe me when I say that 7870 is now a mid-range card( doesn't technology move fast?!), I wasn't boasting at all, it's merely a helpful insight into people wondering whether or not the HD texture pack would run fine on their system. I can confirm that it probably would.
Unbelievable, you're such an expert on pc hardware (and let's not forget "a long time member of OC.net") and at the same time you expect me to believe you had (in your first post) even doubts wether your son could run this game with these (which are above the official recommended specs let alone the minimum) specs:
AMD FX 6300 @ 3.5Ghz
MSI HD 7870 2GB
8 GB Ddr 3 1600mhz

Now I'm even more confinced you were/are boasting. An eight year old could have told you, your son can run this game (with HD textures) easily with these specs!

Unbelievable, you're such an expert on pc hardware (and let's not forget "a long time member of OC.net") and at the same time you expect me to believe you had (in your first post) even doubts wether your son could run this game with these (which are above the official recommended specs let alone the minimum) specs:
AMD FX 6300 @ 3.5Ghz
MSI HD 7870 2GB
8 GB Ddr 3 1600mhz

Now I'm even more confinced you were/are boasting. An eight year old could have told you, your son can run this game (with HD textures) easily with these specs!

AMD FX 6300 @ 3.5Ghz
MSI HD 7870 2GB
8 GB Ddr 3 1600mhz

I'm pretty sure he was just double checking things never hurts sa I've bought games thinking they'll work in the past and never did. Fotrunately Autosport for me isn't one of those

AMD FX 6300 @ 3.5Ghz
MSI HD 7870 2GB
8 GB Ddr 3 1600mhz

I'm pretty sure he was just double checking things never hurts sa I've bought games thinking they'll work in the past and never did. Fotrunately Autosport for me isn't one of those
exactly, PCs are by nature not always exact in there specifications, whilst some games may have recommended specs, if you meet them it will play, it plays like crap. I can name several titles where you needed much higher than recommended specs to actually run at decent frame rates. And that was my point, being able to run at acceptable frame-rates not just running the game. Btw, the min and rec specs are for the base game, not any further dlc or texture packs, and the 4k HD textures take load on vram, the 7870 only has 2gb of which could of been the limiting factor of which i was trying to determine.

Anyways, I don't wish to get into debate over whether or not you feel I was 'boasting'. (I'm flattered you think my system is boasting rights! tbh). But if you take out your comment's this thread has actually been helpful to some people no doubt. You may not see any problem with your GTX780, but there WILL be people out there with 7870 or even 7850 and may be concerned that whilst yes we know it will run but will it run smoothly as those card's are not designed to run near 4k anyway, and running such textures could of had detrimental effects on performance. It didn't, so it appears that Codemaster's did a very good job in optimizing this texture pack. :)