Jump to content Jump to content

Hi guys , so i play F1 2021 on PS4 pro with a controller , and i just wanted to ask about ABS. On F1 2020 with ABS off the moment you braked hard the wheels locked up , I had to adjust the brake linearity to compensate a bit. But on 2021 with ABS off the wheels do not lock up , i mean Ive braked hard but its like the ABS is actually on . I didnt want to post this as a possible bug if it isnt , anybody else notice this ? Or is it just the way it is now ?

Thanks.

Edited by Madmaz116
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Nightfire1964 said:

What did you have your brake bias at as that can affect of you lock up or not

Ah right ok see i dont know these things being an old man lol...I think it was a 60 ish ?

3 hours ago, Madmaz116 said:

On F1 2020 with ABS off the moment you braked hard the wheels locked up

They shouldn't have done? They certainly didn't for me, although I did use pedals. Locking up happens once the resistance of the brakes exceeds the tyre grip, so at high speed (and therefore high downforce) you can brake a lot harder without locking up, but as you slow down you need to ease of the brakes. Turning also increases the chance of locking up.

• Like 1
Just now, Ultra3142 said:

They shouldn't have done? They certainly didn't for me, although I did use pedals. Locking up happens once the resistance of the brakes exceeds the tyre grip, so at high speed (and therefore high downforce) you can brake a lot harder without locking up, but as you slow down you need to ease of the brakes. Turning also increases the chance of locking up.

Yeh i was using a controller maybe its different on that , but they did for me which is why i had the adjust the brake linearity

2 hours ago, Madmaz116 said:

Ah right ok see i dont know these things being an old man lol...I think it was a 60 ish ?

Sounds about right to prevent front lock ups in 2021.

Brake bias (BB) is important as it effects the balance of the braking force applied to the front and rears - theoretically, the better this is distributed over the wheels, the quicker you can slow the car down.

In 2020, most default setups had BB around 60%, but you could have BB at 50% without locking up (50% of brake force applied at the front and 50% force applied at the back wheels) - this was a better distribution in that game. This is probably why you found you locked up the fronts a lot without adjusting Brake Linearity (BL) because the force being applied was too much at the front. In 2020, I found anything more than 55% BB would cause me to lock the fronts heavily and frequently.

In 2021, if you have 50% BB you will lock up your rears, and it seems 60% is a better distribution of the brake force (60% front, 40% rear) - this will help you avoid locking up fronts/ rears. Depends on your braking style, of course.

I adjust BB first before BL - because BL effects the amount of brake force applied at different points throughout the trigger/ pedal “travel”. The higher brake linearity is, the lower amount of total brake force is applied in the initial part of the trigger/ pedal travel, with more being applied and at a faster rate in the final part of travel. Keeping BL at 0, means 50% of trigger = 50% of total brake force. So having BL set to 20 in that situation, might mean 50% of trigger equates to 40% of brake force, which then means the remaining 60% of brake force is applied in the last 50% of travel. The numbers may not be accurate, but this is the general gist.

Therefore, by having a high BL it’s very possible you are missing out on being able to apply more braking force earlier in that travel, which will allow you to slow the car down sooner. It’s a fine balance and you can use both to fine tune - in general I have (track dependent) BB at around 60% and 5 BL, which seems to work nicely for me at the moment.

As Ultra mentions - apply more brake force at the start of braking and then reduce it as you approach the apex (called “trail braking”) - this will help you apply the maximum brake force throughout the braking phase without locking wheels.

Fully appreciate you may have already found your sweet spot with BL on 2020, but worth considering and experimenting with BB (and reducing BL) in 2021, as the car dynamics are different and you may be able to find more lap time.

Please excuse any information above you might already know - I wanted to provide a helpful answer.

🖖🏽

Edited by Monzie83
  • Like 2