Jump to content Jump to content

Last Gen vs Next Gen

Got to say the improvements in graphics is a disappointment when you compare it to what other games have managed to do between last gen and this gen versions, seems braking point been the main priority and graphics can take a back seat but they haven’t hesitated to charge current gen prices though lol

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3
3 minutes ago, Silverchris said:

Got to say the improvements in graphics is a disappointment when you compare it to what other games have managed to do between last gen and this gen versions, seems braking point been the main priority and graphics can take a back seat but they haven’t hesitated to charge current gen prices though lol

Exactly that’s my thoughts too. Don’t want to bash the game by any means but when you compare the differences in other games between generations it’s really quite poor.

Put of interest, what are some examples of games being hugely improved graphically on PS5?

I was watching someone play the latest MotoGP and it looked exactly the same as PS4.

7 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Put of interest, what are some examples of games being hugely improved graphically on PS5?

I was watching someone play the latest MotoGP and it looked exactly the same as PS4.

Overwhelmingly for me I think it's the increased prevalence of 60 fps modes that is the big graphical step up to the current gen consoles.

Edit: and 120 fps in some cases.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 2
12 minutes ago, WildPhilosopher said:

PS5 resolution appears higher, especially when you compare the text (e.g. ALPINE).

But YouTube compression probably did no good to the comparison, as even on 4K both gens look blurry to me..

It's not Youtube.... The game is really blurry, on series x too. This is the worst optimization ever. 

• Agree 1

Of course you have to take compression into account. I just personally think it hasn’t been optimised that much. Shadows and textures don’t seem that much sharper. Game still looks good in comparison to some titles e.g WRC

Hello, can someone tell me why I can't play the PS5 version of the game?

The following fact: I bought the Playstation 4 version of F1 2021.

The upgrade to the PS5 is included, but if I want to select the version of the game as PS5 version in the Game Hub, the game always has a lock and I cannot start it. instead, I can only watch the game in the store.

I'm a little irritated because the upgrade to Next Gen should actually be included. Is it possible that the upgrade will only be available from Friday July 16, 2021 when the game is supposed to be officially released?

@BarryBL can you give any information about that?

I think its easy for people to forget that this new gen isn't so much a graphical revolution like previous gens have been, and more a performance improvement, higher frame rates, faster loading etc. 

OP even says himself it's still running the same old engine, 6, nearly 7 years old now, this engine didn't have this generation in mind. Cross gen games are limiting developers potential with the new consoles. The sooner they drop the last gen, the faster we'll start seeing improvements to engines, lighting systems, photogrammetry will be a big thing for next gen only gamesbigger textures etc. 

In shirt, what were you expecting? Personally it's exactly what I expected, some lighting and texture improvements, more solid FPS performance, fast loading. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, magpieracer48 said:

Probably could without Ray tracing. 

I'm on Series X and replays are also 30 FPS and sometimes even less. Immediately realized that was probably due to Ray Tracing.

But, honestly?! I can't see any graphical/lights/reflexions improvements! 

4 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'm interested in how the 120 fps option may feel, although I appreciate not everyone will have a screen capable of this. 

Much better than 60 fps, I don't have the full game but participated in the beta and I jumped onto f1 2020 right after (locked to 60 fps) and it felt so choppy to me.

With 120 fps I felt I had so much more control of the car through corners, was able to get closer to the wall where previously I had to leave much room I was able to get much closer without hitting it.

7 minutes ago, viniciusrsouza said:

I'm on Series X and replays are also 30 FPS and sometimes even less. Immediately realized that was probably due to Ray Tracing.

That has nothing to do with RT, I had the exact same on the Series X even at 120 fps which has no RT. That was the beta though but reading the forums there are quite a few things not fixed still so I'm guessing that's one of them.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, viniciusrsouza said:

Same. Its there but its marginal and again probably a limitation of the engine not really being designed with it in mind.

Here's some comparisons I did to highlight. Slightly more realistic colour depth, darker shadows and material refractions with Ray tracing but its minimal.

a618acf2-1fd5-468a-94c9-ed14394a91c1.thumb.png.9b8755a30cb9c9ede5bed0bc9c204457.png7a24dd78-8490-424a-a6af-7f6c84b4de11.thumb.png.2b7231d96c720e45a2c3c421dbccdf3b.png

74a6fb14-c174-47af-96da-2dd45e04e098.thumb.png.400aac571a1cbed3cfb56cb5232baa42.png21684f46-4d87-4005-a524-dfe69ad9f47b.thumb.png.8fd6dc5e46c58d84c4d7b73df5e005d8.png

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Unleashion said:

Much better than 60 fps, I don't have the full game but participated in the beta and I jumped onto f1 2020 right after (locked to 60 fps) and it felt so choppy to me.

With 120 fps I felt I had so much more control of the car through corners, was able to get closer to the wall where previously I had to leave much room I was able to get much closer without hitting it.

That's encouraging to read 🙂. I've tried Fortnite at 120 fps and that definitely gives a noticeable and worthwhile improvement so I was hoping the same would be be true in F1 2021. I'm not in any way a Fortnite fan by the way, but my young niece is so I've occasionally played it with her (badly!)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sector4 said:

Just better loading times and FPS. 

This was very much what I was expecting from all the pre-release info to be fair so it somewhat surprises me if many were expecting more. I'll also say that for me personally these were still two major factors that made me interested in buying the game. Personally I thought the in-game graphics were pretty good in F1 2020 anyway so I wasn't personally looking for a huge leap there anyway.

Edited by Ultra3142