Jump to content Jump to content

Last Gen vs Next Gen

7 hours ago, magpieracer48 said:

I think its easy for people to forget that this new gen isn't so much a graphical revolution like previous gens have been, and more a performance improvement, higher frame rates, faster loading etc. 

OP even says himself it's still running the same old engine, 6, nearly 7 years old now, this engine didn't have this generation in mind. Cross gen games are limiting developers potential with the new consoles. The sooner they drop the last gen, the faster we'll start seeing improvements to engines, lighting systems, photogrammetry will be a big thing for next gen only gamesbigger textures etc. 

In shirt, what were you expecting? Personally it's exactly what I expected, some lighting and texture improvements, more solid FPS performance, fast loading. 

It’s more the fact other games have pulled off the graphic improvements far better than this game in less time too but have to say graphics aside I’m happy with way game is in this version( except for couple of crashes but with way most new games are, to be expected).

4 minutes ago, Silverchris said:

It’s more the fact other games have pulled off the graphic improvements far better than this game in less time too 

Do you have an example in mind?

IIRC Traditionally, there is a time lag between graphical improvments when a new console is introuduced. Unless its one of the official exclusive games that are released with the new console, like the Halo Xbox games, or the new Assassin Creed Vahalla (Game looks amazing). Developers don't have much time to see how far they can go with the new console. 

This is still a PS4 game mostly, By next year it will be a PS5 game. Then again maybe the Fifa 22 games proves my theory wrong. 

Another not strictly relevant comparison showcasing the standard series S gameplay with the Ray traced replay shot. The 2 examples I did on the previous page were subtle but the effect is more noticable in wet conditions. First is regular, 2nd is Ray traced. 

332376ec-7699-4457-af7f-aa4e6924004b.thumb.png.3353c16d879fd693affe5916bb047f43.png2ea86149-0028-4864-a08b-a7204ea76228.thumb.png.ab0fba0132d35310c953f4baaefde762.png

Edited by magpieracer48
  • Like 1

If Motion Blur worked on the consoles, it would look a little better. But yeah, I think the main problem is the engine. It is now at its maximumand based on PS4. Btw: As long as there is crossplay between old and new gen, both are based on the same engine. In Fifa 22 there will be a new Engine for the next gen and accordingly no crossplay etc.

Edited by TJH
7 hours ago, Silverchris said:

Forza horizon 4 was what I was thinking off.

As a Playstation owner this isn't a game I'm familiar with, but the Series X/S updates got a somewhat mixed review in the video below. It will be interesting what an equivalent video has to say about F1 2021. I'm sure one will be out soon.

I've not spent much time playing F1 2021 yet but one 'next-gen' upgrade I'm definitely feeling is a big improvement is the faster loading times on PS5. As an example, the time from selecting a track in Time Trial to it having loaded to the cockpit view is about 8 seconds. I booted up F1 2020 which is also installed on my PS5's internal SSD and that took 23 seconds to do the same thing, and this was in turn faster than my old PS4 managed. 

The higher frame rate is noticeable and nice to have too, but at least in TT I won't claim it's a huge difference.

I concur with what someone said here, these new consoles are more hardware upgrades than next generation graphics technology.   If some were expecting new high-end graphic upgrade tech like in the past... forget it!, it's not happening with these new expensive consoles.  Just take a look at Madden, The Show and 2K Basketball and now F12021. They all run using the same old tired last gen graphic tech engine. 

What a joke.  I am stating to the think it was a good thing I wasn't able to get a hold on these new consoles.  I would have been really disappointed.   What a scam!

3 minutes ago, NestoChe said:

I concur with what someone said here, these new consoles are more hardware upgrades than next generation graphics technology.   If some were expecting new high-end graphic upgrade tech like in the past... forget it!, it's not happening with these new expensive consoles.  Just take a look at Madden, The Show and 2K Basketball and now F12021. They all run using the same old tired last gen graphic tech engine. 

What a joke.  I am stating to the think it was a good thing I wasn't able to get a hold on these new consoles.  I would have been really disappointed.   What a scam!

I on the other hand have zero regrets at having been lucky enough to get my hands on a PS5 (via Amazon at RRP, not from a scalper), for the reasons I've shared in posts above. I know it's still frustratingly hard to get one but I really don't think you'd feel you'd been scammed if you did.

30 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I on the other hand have zero regrets at having been lucky enough to get my hands on a PS5 (via Amazon at RRP, not from a scalper), for the reasons I've shared in posts above. I know it's still frustratingly hard to get one but I really don't think you'd feel you'd been scammed if you did.

Oh I understand, if you are new and young it's going to be fantastic upgrade but I didn't see the anything revolutionary in term of graphics that they hype it to be. Oh, If I would have scored a PS5 I would have regretted for sure, even if brought retail.  That's just me. I normally buy the PlayStation console only for one game and that is for the Baseball game, The Show and to me that was a disappointment IMO.  I expected an upgrade in a new graphic engine like they use to do back in the good old days when a new console is release.  I did however scored an Xbox/s for cheap and play it there via the MS Game Pass that I really don't need but I sub to try out MLBTS just to see for myself....I'll cancel it it eventually.

I have a high-end PC that I have for other games I like to play mostly sim types like flight sims racing game like F1 2021 etc.  I'm an old time 60 years old gamer! I think I've had them all (consoles) that were out. 

Enjoy your new console(s) that's all that matters right?

Edited by NestoChe
7 minutes ago, NestoChe said:

Oh I understand, if you are new and young it's going to be fantastic upgrade...

I'm 44, and my own gaming experience goes back about as far as is meaningful.

If you have a high-end gaming PC I can see you having zero interest though. Consoles are never going to compete with that. They can't possibly for their low prices.

Edited by Ultra3142

Sorry for the next gen owners because that sucks but I'm glad to read this. I really had hoped to get a PS5 before the F1 launch as I was afraid the PS4 version would get no love anymore. But the PS4 version has got a lot of love. When I started the game for the first time I was amazed about how good it looked. I was actually satisfied enough with the performance as even loading times had improved. If F1 2021 isn't that big a of a deal on PS5 I can even wait until Christmas to finally get a PS5

1 hour ago, BelgiumDude said:

Sorry for the next gen owners because that sucks but I'm glad to read this. I really had hoped to get a PS5 before the F1 launch as I was afraid the PS4 version would get no love anymore. But the PS4 version has got a lot of love. When I started the game for the first time I was amazed about how good it looked. I was actually satisfied enough with the performance as even loading times had improved. If F1 2021 isn't that big a of a deal on PS5 I can even wait until Christmas to finally get a PS5

Managed to try out the PS5 version earlier this morning and have to admit I thought it looked noticeably better than the PS4 version. Just sharper and more crisp. No overall difference though in terms of the appearance aside from what I’m assuming is a higher resolution.  It’s the adaptive triggers that makes the difference for me with the new game.  

I think if they can add some decent motion blur then it’ll improve things quite a bit as at this moment in time it doesn’t seem to have any effect if it’s turned completely up or down at all. 

Also, not too overly impressed with the HDR as well. Where the cranked contrast worked on the earlier games, the noticeably drab (or more realistic if you prefer) appearance of the scenery on the new game doesn’t seem to translate too well through HDR. To me GT Sport is the standard for that though in terms of realistic colours and a well implemented HDR.  

Edited by stephensmattlee
48 minutes ago, stephensmattlee said:

Also, not too overly impressed with the HDR as well. Where the cranked contrast worked on the earlier games, the noticeably drab (or more realistic if you prefer) appearance of the scenery on the new game doesn’t seem to translate too well through HDR. To me GT Sport is the standard for that though in terms of realistic colours and a well implemented HDR. 

Did the Peak Nit Adjustment in the initial calibration work for you? A number of us has reported an apparent issue with this and HDR performance in the following thread, and it would be helpful if you could add your own experience there one way or the other to hopefully help Codemasters to address the issue.

Edited by Ultra3142
15 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Did the Peak Nit Adjustment in the initial calibration work for you? A number of us has reported an apparent issue with this and HDR performance in the following thread, and it would be helpful if you could add your own experience there one way or the other to hopefully help Codemasters to address the issue.

Yeah I remember that happening during the beta and pretty sure it was reported and mentioned about it in a bug report.  I’m assuming it’s the same build of the game as there’s other issues reported in 1.3 from the beta that’s still not fixed in the release version.

Another one I noticed that hasn’t been fixed as of yet was when resetting the camera settings it takes you back to the Tcam view but doesn’t actually reset any of the values if you’re trying to reset from one of the other views like cockpit or offset tcam.  I’m assuming a more substantial patch must be on the way soon and 1.4 was mainly a hot fix for the crashing. 

2 minutes ago, stephensmattlee said:

Yeah I remember that happening during the beta and pretty sure it was reported and mentioned about it in a bug report.  I’m assuming it’s the same build of the game as there’s other issues reported in 1.3 from the beta that’s still not fixed in the release version.

Did it work for you though? I'm partly curious if this may be TV specific or if all PS5 owners are affected. As I said, it would be really helpful if you could share your experience in the thread I linked to either way to try to help give a clearer picture to Codemasters.

9 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Did it work for you though? I'm partly curious if this may be TV specific or if all PS5 owners are affected. As I said, it would be really helpful if you could share your experience in the thread I linked to either way to try to help give a clearer picture to Codemasters.

Sorry, yes it did NOT work for me either. Am presented with the 2 black boxes and they stay black regardless of the setting, not like earlier games with the 2 circles and matching them up. HGIG was enabled as well.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, stephensmattlee said:

Sorry, yes it did NOT work for me either. Am presented with the 2 black boxes and they stay black regardless of the setting, not like earlier games with the 2 circles and matching them up. HGIG was enabled as well.  

Same for me, also HGIG on and all black level related combos. HDR certainly isn't what it should be right now ☹️.

3 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Same for me, also HGIG on and all black level related combos. HDR certainly isn't what it should be right now ☹️.

Yup. If definitely feels like an after-thought to me. Like it’s just “contrast +50%”, bam and done.  I even went through and completely re-calibrated all my TV settings trying to double check all the colours were accurate. 

To be fair it looked so bad I ended up disabling HDR for the game all together and just running it in SDR on the PS5.

Yeah graphics is really disappointing.  Didn't think it would get worse that MLB The Show's move to next gen but F1 2021 looks last gen.

NBA 2K released last year October did a fantastic job and I would argue both FIFA and Madden did a better next gen upgrade compared to F1...and in both cases was just a patch not even a full release.

These F1 games have so much potential, but lack of attention to detail imo.  Hats off to the improvements to AI on track racing and the mistakes they are making etc.  Massive improvement.

However the fact that their main selling feature of last year didn't get any additions/upgrades a year later is very disappointing.  Hard to believe we have PS2 level of customization.  I know we'll probably won't ever have freedom to draw anything on these cars but at least give us layers and shapes we can move/resize/angle etc.  PES on PS2 had better customization than F1 games on PS5...

Also thought we'd have more of the grid displayed on the left hand side in race on next gen...but I suppose it has to do with the way they simulate these AI cars and we will never have it.  

ATTENTION TO DETAIL!

Think about this for a second...so we all know the penalty system for cutting corners etc.  Instead of doing it like they do now, why not have the orange message after cutting a corner saying this driver is being investigate for corner cutting, like they do on a TV broadcast, add the orange emblem next to your name and after a random amount of time add the penalty then.  Same effect but a lot more immersive.  These are the types of details they are missing out on which will give the game personality and take it to a new level imo.

I'm at chapter 6 of the braking point story...and finding it very boring and really hoping it picks up soon.  And all these phonecalls by your mom...sigh...kind of shows you the demographic they are aiming at.  Another detail in braking point, why waste my time with countless messages/emails/phonecalls about interviews, meetings and such that I don't even see happening or are part of?  It is pointless and makes me scan through messages so fast now because why would I read about stuff that happens without me being part of it...completely pointless.

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

This is not PS5 specific. Had this also on PS4 Pro