Jump to content Jump to content

HDR Peak Nit settings slider doesn’t work as intended [PS5 with LG C1]

gedeye

• A detailed description of the issue.

On the HDR settings option you are asked to move the slider scale until there is “no visible difference between both halves of the image”. Regardless of any reading between 0 & 100 the two images always look identical and it’s only the lighting around the rest of the screen that seems to dull or brighten occasionally.

Not at anybody point is there not a small gap between both images, in case that was what is actually meant.

• Report Code

N/A

• Platform?

PS5

• Game-mode?

All modes

• What troubleshooting have you tried? Please list everything you tried.

Ensured TV and PS5 software is up to date. 
Used a different 2.1 enabled HDMI cable.

• Any screenshots or video of the issue? Remember to add as unlisted if video via a third party. 

Attached.

• How do you make the problem happen? Please add a step-by-step guide here so we can replicate and get reported as quick as possible.

Only way to directly replicate is to delete game save and start again or load up for the first time on a new profile. 

You can change the Peak Nit Adjustment from the Graphics Setting menu but it’s just a numerical reference without the image to compare.

It’s possible I’m misunderstanding the instructions but I definitely think it’s not working as intended rather than just not being explained very well.

Also FWIW I’ve read of 2 others having the same issues on ResetEra forum too.

474A4FCF-DB8B-474F-800D-B96C5A0B842F.jpeg

87B8AD93-12A5-48E7-AFB1-8C3ED5B293AB.jpeg

F5E2EE13-F0CE-4989-8AAB-0D68F291121F.jpeg

• Agree 1

The exact same issue happened here on Xbox Series X when I first launched it.

The worst part is that we CAN'T reach this calibration screen again and the HDR setting, that was already horrible, is now worse.

They should finally let us be able to configure it during gameplay WITHOUT blurring the background so we can actually see the difference applied in the car, sun, clouds, etc.

Hi guys,

happen exactly the same here and the words information in game are pixelated. On 2020 game you have to put 2 circles equal very understandable and easy to setting that and the image was always awesome. On this 2021 game it’s get weird. 

I’m on PS4 PRO and TV Samsung 7 series 43”.

Best Regards

On 7/14/2021 at 9:41 PM, Ultra3142 said:

Have you tried changing the black level settings on TV or PS5?

I've now got the game and experienced the same issue so I can answer my own question - on my LG C9 no combination of black level on the TV and RGB Range on my PS5 makes this adjustment work as I'm sure is intended.

I'll add my own report to add to those above:

• A detailed description of the issue.
    • On the very first launch of the game, the HDR Peak Nit adjustment slider results in no discernible difference in the appearance of the two sides of the test image (see video below).
  • Report Code
    • Probably not relevant but: WTJ-XPKB-JKSG-BASC
  • Platform?
    • PS5 with LG C9 TV. (PS5 set to prefer performance.)
  • Game-mode?
    • First time game is run.
  • [ONLINE] The amount of players in your session? If you know the players forum username, please tag as many people who were in your session here.
    • N/A
  • [ONLINE] Were you the host?
    • N/A
  • What troubleshooting have you tried? Please list everything you tried.
    • All combinations of black level setting on the TV and RGB Range on the PS5 (which I have seen resolve similar issues on other games in the past).
  • Any screenshots or video of the issue? Remember to add as unlisted if video via a third party. 

This video obviously can't represent exactly what was on my screen but watching it back on my laptop it still gives a very good indication of what I saw:

• How do you make the problem happen? Please add a step-by-step guide here so we can replicate and get reported as quick as possible.
    • It's part of the initialisation on the first game launch. 

I also had a quick play with the same setting in-game as shown in the video below. There was only any obvious visual change if the Peak Nit Adjustment was reduced below 5, as can be seen by the reflection on the right of the Halo and on the white tyres in the tyre wall. To play the game feels overall too bright to me and I suspect there is a fundamental issue with how HDR content is being generate/displayed. Edit: below was in graphics performance mode.

Edited by Ultra3142

I just had a very quick compare in-game, and changing Dynamic Tone Mapping from HGIG to Off actually makes the image just slightly brighter so I don't think that's the issue.

Edit: I just tried adjusting the peak nit setting in-game with DTM set to Off rather than HGIG (which should be a universally good setting to use I believe) and the performance is very similar to my second video above. I was in a different spot that may account for the difference but I saw visual changes if the Peak Nit Adjustment went below 8 rather than below 5 earlier.

Edited by Ultra3142

Workaround if you are having washed out colors, excessive brightness when playing HDR:

Set Enable 120Hz Output to Off, even if you are playing the game in quality-mode and/or 60 fps mode.

Now your colors will look correct. The fact that the slider is broken still remains.

1 hour ago, Hellclaw said:

Workaround if you are having washed out colors, excessive brightness when playing HDR:

Set Enable 120Hz Output to Off, even if you are playing the game in quality-mode and/or 60 fps mode.

Now your colors will look correct. The fact that the slider is broken still remains.

My gut reaction is to think forcing SDR whilst still being able to use 120 Hz might be a better workaround. I did just try the suggestion though but I'll be honest I'm hard pushed to see a clear difference, although it's tricky since I have to close and reopen the game to pick up the change.

Launching the game with 120 Hz set to off on the PS5 settings means my TV doesn't have it's HDR symbol pop up in the top right, but with the game running the TV shows the signal as HDR10 RGB 12 bit. With 120 Hz enabled it instead shows HDR10 YCbCr 4:2:2 8 bit. However, a spot of Googling suggests the 8 bit may be erroneous on my LG C9 so it's quite possible it is actually 10 or 12 bit. 

2 hours ago, RayzMY said:

This actually fixes the issue with DRS button not registering as well as thermal graphic glitch. So my guess it’s all these issues developers need to focus on what’s the issue with their 120hz implementation 

Are you saying you have disabled the 120 Hz option on your PS5 console, reinstalled the game to get the peak nit adjustment screen back and then found it works in a meaningful way? Or something else?

Have you had DRS button issues? I've only noticed ERS button issues myself, and that's all I recall seeing shared on this forum. 

Edited by Ultra3142

• 4 months later...

On Xbox Series X, I've been using the default setting of 10, but in certain scenarios, the sky looks blown out and the sun glare gets quite ridiculous. An example of this is the 2nd DRS straight in USA, where you're facing the sun directly. Assuming 10 = 1000 nits, I've tried turning down the value to what the TV is actually capable of displaying, but it makes it worse. Turning it down to 1 makes it look like it's trying to output 10000 nits. This is made more complicated by Samsung forcing dynamic tone mapping.

What do those values on the sliders actually mean?

Is the slider actually reversed, meaning higher values = less brightness?

Edited by Aparow

• 2 weeks later...