Jump to content Jump to content

Is there something amiss here??

Hey all,

I just started a career mode in F1 2021, I chose all the settings I wanted and then proceeded to the following sessions in Bahrain.  As you can see under "Recovery Mode" I selected "None" which means that flashbacks are automatically disabled because "Flashback Limit" is grayed out.  Now I got into an accident that caused terminal damage to my car and what came up? Yup, a flashback, which I do not understand.  If the flashbacks are disabled and you get terminal damage, shouldn't that be an automatic retirement? Is this some kind of glitch that will be ironed out in the day 1 release patch?

recovery mode f1 2021.jpg

flashback f1 2021.jpg

1 minute ago, QuickRick96 said:

Hey all,

I just started a career mode in F1 2021, I chose all the settings I wanted and then proceeded to the following sessions in Bahrain.  As you can see under "Recovery Mode" I selected "None" which means that flashbacks are automatically disabled because "Flashback Limit" is grayed out.  Now I got into an accident that caused terminal damage to my car and what came up? Yup, a flashback, which I do not understand.  If the flashbacks are disabled and you get terminal damage, shouldn't that be an automatic retirement? Is this some kind of glitch that will be ironed out in the day 1 release patch?

recovery mode f1 2021.jpg

flashback f1 2021.jpg

erm that's just showing if you wanted a replay of your crash/incident the flashback i'm pretty sure won't work when you go into it

4 minutes ago, Nightfire1964 said:

erm that's just showing if you wanted a replay of your crash/incident the flashback i'm pretty sure won't work when you go into it

Actually, I tried selecting "Restart Session" and it happened to put me back on the grid to restart the race so I think there's a glitch somewhere :)

7 minutes ago, QuickRick96 said:

Actually, I tried selecting "Restart Session" and it happened to put me back on the grid to restart the race so I think there's a glitch somewhere 🙂

so basically, you want a new setting to make it so you can't restart rather than claim there be a problem which there is not one which is to not have any flashbacks on. they have the restart session just in case if people want to restart the session anyway.

Edited by Nightfire1964
  • Agree 2
29 minutes ago, QuickRick96 said:

Actually, I tried selecting "Restart Session" and it happened to put me back on the grid to restart the race so I think there's a glitch somewhere 🙂

If you don't want to use flashbacks then why restart session? Just retire, I don't see the issue.

• Agree 4

What a weird thread.

Having restarts available means that the player has some kind of failsafe against having races ruined by bugs or ridiculous nonsense that befalls them.

Forcing them off when you can always choose to not restart if you don't want to would just be bad game design.

• Agree 3
3 hours ago, Blent said:

What a weird thread.

Having restarts available means that the player has some kind of failsafe against having races ruined by bugs or ridiculous nonsense that befalls them.

Forcing them off when you can always choose to not restart if you don't want to would just be bad game design.

Personally I'd also like the option to turn off the ability to restart a session.

I know that I asked for this last year, and I could just not press it, but it's always too tempting. I want to be punished for being too aggressive and making a mistake as this will make career more realistic (and therefore fun) for me.

• Disagree 1

I dont see the issue here OP.   You have flashbacks set to unlimited in your screenshot.   You've crashed, so you hit restart session, and you think it's a glitch because it put you back on the track to restart the race?  That's exactly what restart session is supposed to do.   If you want to take your crashed car and go home just hit retire from session.  That ends your race and you finish last; assuming nobody else is already out of course.  If you don't have the self discipline to not use a flashback, or not hit restart session after you've crashed then thats on you, it doesn't require a fix to the game.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

@QuickRick9

Restart Session = restart session. Naturally takes you back to the grid if it's done during a race session.

Replay -> Flashback = Go back a few seconds before you crashed.

Retire from session = retire from session and go to next event.

Not sure what else you were expecting.

Edited by Ho3n3r
  • Agree 2
4 hours ago, CarloLewis said:

Personally I'd also like the option to turn off the ability to restart a session.

I’d like to see this too.

Should be part of the ‘pro’ settings.

It’s lazy game design. 

• Disagree 1
9 hours ago, Blent said:

What a weird thread.

And thats been my argument for having flashbacks in Dirt Rally lol. But most of that fanbase is weak minded fools who say they can't not use them if they are available so no one should have them lol.

6 hours ago, Guga_Cyr said:

I’d like to see this too.

Should be part of the ‘pro’ settings.

It’s lazy game design. 

No, it really isn't. It's an option, which as per the name, is optional, don't use it. Simple. 

This just all looks and sounds like operator error. The fleshy bit in front of the screen. Rather than an actual game issue.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3
13 hours ago, CarloLewis said:

I know that I asked for this last year, and I could just not press it, but it's always too tempting. I want to be punished for being too aggressive and making a mistake as this will make career more realistic (and therefore fun) for me.

I feel like there's an important life lesson here in exercising self-control and discipline.

It's like a muscle - you have to train it if you want it to get stronger. Just try forcing yourself to avoid clicking 'restart' if something goes wrong and eventually you'll find it's not even an issue for you anymore!

• Agree 1
9 hours ago, Blent said:

I feel like there's an important life lesson here in exercising self-control and discipline.

It's like a muscle - you have to train it if you want it to get stronger. Just try forcing yourself to avoid clicking 'restart' if something goes wrong and eventually you'll find it's not even an issue for you anymore!

I don't disagree, but if that's the counter argument, why bother giving the option for recovery or to limit flashbacks/ turn them off entirely? Using your logic, they shouldn't be options either, people should just practice self control and not use them.

I'm not arguing that it's game breaking, I've dealt with it long enough, just something that I'd like to see implemented and I can't see why it couldn't be.

Edited by CarloLewis
  • Agree 2
On 7/14/2021 at 1:37 PM, Unleashion said:

If you don't want to use flashbacks then why restart session? Just retire, I don't see the issue.

I haven't used flashbacks since F1 2015 or 2016 so perhaps I forgot what it is that they do but anyway, I really think there should be a Restart Session option in Grand Prix/Career/My Driver modes for players to toggle.  Those who want a more simulation/realism feeling then they can toggle it "OFF" so that when they get involved in an accident that causes terminal damage or have a mechanical failure then the session is over and the player moves on to the next session and those who want to choose to restart the session if they crash or suffer a mechanical issue then they have the option to set it to "ON".

Again I haven't used flashbacks in years, I totally forgot what they actually did, guess I got confused.

16 hours ago, magpieracer48 said:

No, it really isn't. It's an option, which as per the name, is optional, don't use it. Simple. 

Your argument that I can choose whether to use the restart session option or not is valid, but your claim that removing the option from the player isn’t lazy game design doesn’t hold any water.

If it wasn’t a case of lazy game design, the differences between difficulty settings / modes whatever would be much more extensive than they currently are.

Put another way, disabling the ability to restart a session entirely when the player selects pro settings is a relatively simple thing to implement, yet hasn’t been done whereas disabling the ability to use flashbacks has… I’ll wait right here while you go google the definition of lazy 🤦🏽‍♂️

Had we been talking about a pro difficulty that does things like give you full control over your car (think driving in/out of the garage, into your pit box or grid slot etc) which are things that would require exponentially more effort to implement, in addition to disabling the restart session option then sure, you’d have a point. 

17 hours ago, magpieracer48 said:

This just all looks and sounds like operator error. The fleshy bit in front of the screen. Rather than an actual game issue.

Your suggestion that the real issue here is the “spacer” is unnecessary but makes a lot of sense after looking at your post history….

Are you on the payroll, per chance? Because all that discrediting and deflecting of (often valid) criticism levelled at the game back onto the customers, citing marketing material and/or press releases implies you are.

• Disagree 1
4 hours ago, Guga_Cyr said:

Your argument that I can choose whether to use the restart session option or not is valid, but your claim that removing the option from the player isn’t lazy game design doesn’t hold any water.

If it wasn’t a case of lazy game design, the differences between difficulty settings / modes whatever would be much more extensive than they currently are.

Put another way, disabling the ability to restart a session entirely when the player selects pro settings is a relatively simple thing to implement, yet hasn’t been done whereas disabling the ability to use flashbacks has… I’ll wait right here while you go google the definition of lazy 🤦🏽‍♂️

Had we been talking about a pro difficulty that does things like give you full control over your car (think driving in/out of the garage, into your pit box or grid slot etc) which are things that would require exponentially more effort to implement, in addition to disabling the restart session option then sure, you’d have a point. 

Your suggestion that the real issue here is the “spacer” is unnecessary but makes a lot of sense after looking at your post history….

Are you on the payroll, per chance? Because all that discrediting and deflecting of (often valid) criticism levelled at the game back onto the customers, citing marketing material and/or press releases implies you are.

No not really. Just discrediting and clapping back at people who have unrealistic demands and don't read.

• Agree 1
13 hours ago, CarloLewis said:

I don't disagree, but if that's the counter argument, why bother giving the option for recovery or to limit flashbacks/ turn them off entirely? Using your logic, they shouldn't be options either, people should just practice self control and not use them.

That's not really the same logic though.

People want to have flashbacks because this is a challenging racing game and having the option to undo mistakes makes it more accessible and enjoyable for a lot of players. Taking away flashbacks would actively hurt the ability for hundreds of thousands of players to enjoy the game, so would be ridiculous to contemplate.

Not using flashbacks or not restarting races is not only a perfectly valid choice that many players may choose to do, it's also something that is already possible within the game as it is currently programmed - you just have to not use flashbacks or select 'restart'.

What you're suggesting is that CM program in something into the game that is already currently already available by just not selecting it as an option. Doesn't that seem a bit redundant, when you think about it?

Also, if the argument is 'why even have the option to limit the number of flashbacks then?', then I kind of agree - it feels a bit unnecessary to me too. But then I can see this as being a good way for players wanting to 'wean' themselves off flashbacks by forcing themselves to face the consequences of their mistakes. But removing the option of having 'restart' available entirely when it's very easy to just select 'retire' after a shunt feels like something so redundant when all you have to do is not click 'restart' and that's it.

Edited by Blent
2 hours ago, Blent said:

That's not really the same logic though.

People want to have flashbacks because this is a challenging racing game and having the option to undo mistakes makes it more accessible and enjoyable for a lot of players. Taking away flashbacks would actively hurt the ability for hundreds of thousands of players to enjoy the game, so would be ridiculous to contemplate.

Not using flashbacks or not restarting races is not only a perfectly valid choice that many players may choose to do, it's also something that is already possible within the game as it is currently programmed - you just have to not use flashbacks or select 'restart'.

What you're suggesting is that CM program in something into the game that is already currently already available by just not selecting it as an option. Doesn't that seem a bit redundant, when you think about it?

Also, if the argument is 'why even have the option to limit the number of flashbacks then?', then I kind of agree - it feels a bit unnecessary to me too. But then I can see this as being a good way for players wanting to 'wean' themselves off flashbacks by forcing themselves to face the consequences of their mistakes. But removing the option of having 'restart' available entirely when it's very easy to just select 'retire' after a shunt feels like something so redundant when all you have to do is not click 'restart' and that's it.

But it's the same argument. These options didn't exist the year before and now they do, so CM already have programmed these in after community feedback. 

To be clear, I'm not saying "I'm not buying because of this" or "this is lazy design", I'm just making a case that it's an option that I'd personally love to have so that I know that I don't have this safety net option of a restart.

I try to play as much as a "simulation" as possible, like always driving out and into the garage. and if I'm in a race and too aggressive into turn 1 causing damage, it's too easy and tempting to restart the session. I'd like options to turn all these things off (which I think some of these the pro career mode enforces, but also locks the AI difficulty too high for my skill level).

2 minutes ago, CarloLewis said:

I try to play as much as a "simulation" as possible, like always driving out and into the garage. and if I'm in a race and too aggressive into turn 1 causing damage, it's too easy and tempting to restart the session. I'd like options to turn all these things off (which I think some of these the pro career mode enforces, but also locks the AI difficulty too high for my skill level).

I still think it's better to have that safety net of having restart available in case you glitch through the track, get smacked by a warping Safety Car or some other video gamey nonsense that would punish you permanently for something you had zero control over.

• Agree 2

Note to EA/Codemasters for future (and all controller/wheel/keyboard manufacturers): please add if "pro" mode is selected that any hit gets as realistically represented. So stimulating muscles with electroshocks through wheels/controllers, hitting force feedback to 1000000% in moment of impact, etc. All in pursuit to make it realistic, just fighting for cause here, thank me later.

Now on more serious note: I agree that it could be another option to disable/enable that restart/retire/replay pop-up after crash. But it doesn't really bother me to call it REAL ISSUE, since if I crash I know it will come up and those few seconds while I'm fuming on myself for stupid mistake I can use to click through those things. If I can't be focused enough to do that at that moment I wouldn't sit behind a wheel in any traffic jam. 🤣 

To cover also nice point from @Blent, what if game glitches and you can't get back few second earlier? You will still call that realistic and pro, I don't think so... Or you want it to be configured so it is disabled ONLY and ONLY if you crash on your own and to pop-up if game glitches (which game doesn't know, that's why it's called glitch) 😁

Finally, self-discipline, on personal example of another arcady game Forza Horizon. It has rewind always available on push of the button at any time of playing. I was using it as crazy while learning handling, then I figured let's try to race these "guys", as in AI, fair and without rewind. 5 races later I get 2 easy wins, week later I have increased AI level  to the max and forgot that rewinds exist. Although they are much easier to access than in F1 game. Next personal example, F1 2020 and any before, I leave flashbacks on and race 50% with driving out and into garage every time. If I crash I retire, no issues except losing precious 2 seconds of my life to click retire.😭 But if I am in middle of turn and my wife calls for lunch and I spin. Well it is a game and it is not real that wife calls for lunch/dinner in the middle of the race so I will: pause, respond, get few seconds back and continue as non-realistic mid-race wife's call didn't happen.

Let's not all forget even if that pop-up is removed there is still restart session button on results screen, very tempting but that is for another story. Hope no-one got hurt by any words I tried to make it as serious and as jokingly possible. 😃