Jump to content Jump to content

Damage being a joke


Recommended Posts

Im wondering if maybe you have the wrong settings re: damage?  Maybe you don't have it turned all the way up and on simulation.   I had a nice battle down into turn 1 at Bahrain with Perez.  I came out on the short end of it which serves me right because i broke way late and turned in on him thinking he'd just back out, but nope I took his front tire into the side of my car.  Damaged the side pods/floor.

Much to my surprise once as well I came into the garage in a practice session where I hopped a curb and was held up in the pits for 4 minutes worth of repairs to the floor of the car.  Never seen that before but it was cool.

I had my first failure as well.  I was cruising along in 2nd place in my AM at Bahrain and I hear "OK we're currently monitoring a situation with car performance; we'll get back to you".   About half a lap later I hear  "OK, it doesn't look good.  It looks like we have a problem with the engine".     I ended up so slow.  Lost 2nd... lost 3rd.  Then I got another radio message "DRS is offline; there's a fault within the rear wing we'll try and fix it from here"    So then I lost 4th and 5th too  😄

Id suggest checking your settings because it's certainly working as far as I can tell.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does it matter? Any damage like that IRL and the team would tell you to park the car or pit. Its GAME OVER.

Instead of what it looks like, function is what matters. Floor damage for abusing curbs. side damage for the guy that has mastered the sideswipe swerve to ruin the race for the faster guys behind. Thats what matters. Lets complain about that stuff if its not working. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ChicagoSeminole said:

Why does it matter? Any damage like that IRL and the team would tell you to park the car or pit. Its GAME OVER.

 

Because its a game feature codemasters promised us, and if its not there, then its false advertised, wich is pretty shady.

  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, petro1319 said:

Im wondering if maybe you have the wrong settings re: damage?  Maybe you don't have it turned all the way up and on simulation.   I had a nice battle down into turn 1 at Bahrain with Perez.  I came out on the short end of it which serves me right because i broke way late and turned in on him thinking he'd just back out, but nope I took his front tire into the side of my car.  Damaged the side pods/floor.

Much to my surprise once as well I came into the garage in a practice session where I hopped a curb and was held up in the pits for 4 minutes worth of repairs to the floor of the car.  Never seen that before but it was cool.

I had my first failure as well.  I was cruising along in 2nd place in my AM at Bahrain and I hear "OK we're currently monitoring a situation with car performance; we'll get back to you".   About half a lap later I hear  "OK, it doesn't look good.  It looks like we have a problem with the engine".     I ended up so slow.  Lost 2nd... lost 3rd.  Then I got another radio message "DRS is offline; there's a fault within the rear wing we'll try and fix it from here"    So then I lost 4th and 5th too  😄

Id suggest checking your settings because it's certainly working as far as I can tell.

I got held in the pits for presumably straddling the sausage curb at the final corner of silverstone for floor damage too nice touch, Damage to the front wing doesn’t always appear on the MFD however and I’ve not had any floor, side pod or rear wing damage yet... 

Also before anyone makes a joke about straddling a sausage curb... yep I know... not my proudest moment.😂

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the new damage model is great! Had an online race yesterday at silverstone. Slight front wing damage and then later in the race floor damage after riding the curbs too hard several times. I had no chance to keep up with my opponents and my laptime dropped significantly. I really think its a big step up in realism. Loving the game so far!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, magpieracer48 said:

No issues here. Bear in mind some of the new visual damage is next gen only. 

 

Pretty sure this isn't true? Only next gen stuff is graphics stuff like ray tracing and one or two other minor things I think.

I'm on the original Xbox One and I can get floor damage, bodywork damage that wasn't present in games before 2021, and so on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven’t experienced the mind melting shark bit my car damage model yet myself but am not surprised either.

After so many years of over promising & underdelivering the studio should be renamed to Marketingmasters to better reflect reality. 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will test the damage model on PS5.

 

Have started several attempts and can confirm that the damage model has been turned back significantly. It's almost like impossible to see damage to the rear wing or underbody, which is weird. The better damage model is clearly there, so why not use it?

Edited by TJH
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Joethe155 said:

 

Pretty sure this isn't true? Only next gen stuff is graphics stuff like ray tracing and one or two other minor things I think.

I'm on the original Xbox One and I can get floor damage, bodywork damage that wasn't present in games before 2021, and so on.

Quoted from an interview Lee Mather gave. The basic core damage physics are the same but it's much more visually pleasing on next gen. 

"You'll also have the ability to use the new triggers on the PlayStation 5, they're a really great feature.

"You'll also be able to get the improved visuals on the damage model. 

"So we've now got a much more intricate damage model in F1 2021. But the player who is playing on the next-gen platforms will get to see a visually more striking damage model.

"But the actual physics of it will be the same, you'll still be damaging the same components. So we can take that to the next level as well."

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone noticed what exactly is the difference between the damage modes? Normally my friends and me drive on full damage, because simulation is very sensitive. But we still want the effect that driving to hard over the curbs can damage the floor or make flatspot etc. We want alle damage possibilites the game includes. 

Does anyone know if reduced damage oder full damage avoid these things or does these options set the possibility to get a damage just less "easy"? 

 

 

Edited by DonBlanko
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, petro1319 said:

I

 

I had my first failure as well.  I was cruising along in 2nd place in my AM at Bahrain and I hear "OK we're currently monitoring a situation with car performance; we'll get back to you".   About half a lap later I hear  "OK, it doesn't look good.  It looks like we have a problem with the engine".     I ended up so slow.  Lost 2nd... lost 3rd.  Then I got another radio message "DRS is offline; there's a fault within the rear wing we'll try and fix it from here"    So then I lost 4th and 5th too  😄

 

I had the exact same thing , tell me was it your first race in your career mode ? if it was then these must be scripted rather than random events

Edited by Madmaz116
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been and play tested the damage. You can get rear wing damage that affects the car but it isn’t visual. Same as floor and sidepod damage. Front wing damage is sometimes visual and has no effect other times it’s not visual but has an effect 🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Madmaz116 said:

I had the exact same thing , tell me was it your first race in your career mode ? if it was then these must be scripted rather than random events

I don't think so. If it is scripted, everyone would have had this failures in the first race (in Bahrain) and not just a few. 

Edited by DonBlanko
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you leave and go back later? I did quali I monza started the race but then had to turn it off so I went back and when I returned to the start of the race, I didn’t get damage, and I think all the settings reverted to default. I have also noticed this every time starting a new GP, I have to configure the settings every time- it doesn’t save them like it did last year. Sure this will get sorted out though, unless I’m missing something?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...