Jump to content Jump to content

Damage being a joke

no damage for me too on rear wing. no matter what i do. confirmed on both a good gaming new PC with all graphics on ultra. damage and all other settings are correct. and this is on PS4 pro as well.

PC and PS4 are on two completely different locations. not even the same house.

I would like to draw your attention to the topic again. One of the new features promised in the preview doesn't work properly. Why is the significantly better damage model highlighted in the preview but does not work properly when the game is released?

37 minutes ago, DavidAdams said:

Yea I thought the full damage sim was exclusive to PC, Series X and PS5 

I'm playing on PS5 and it's still not even close to the preview.

Edited by TJH

I want to ask smth. Does it accure, that you can get Damage due to Curbs I was driving in Bahrain and when I went into the Box my Wing was changed and it hadn't taken any damage. Like you couldnt see the damage. Do you get Damage of Curbs?

I wonder if that flatspot isnt just visual glitch? If no i want it! Flatspots is something we need so much much but not only visual also ffb vibration bcs front locking mean nothing for now.

• Agree 1
2 minutes ago, Neomo said:

I wonder if that flatspot isnt just visual glitch?

It doesn't really look like a flat-spot since that would be across the central contact patch on the tyre, so I think you may be right. 

I finally got some sidepod damage yesterday in a race.  When I changed tot he chase cam though to see it my car was still nice and shiny new.   So that was weird...  Playing on the XB-SX here.   I've had plenty of other visual damage to the front wings as usual, but come to think of it I've not yet seen it shown on the side of the car.

Tires though... my gosh when you have a collision and the wheel comes off and the camera goes to that slow motion can they please adjust the speed of the wheel flying around.  it's going 200kmph yet everything else is in slow motion.

I have the same problem on PC. I use the simulation settings for the damage but i can´t see any damage at the rear wing. The videos before the offical release shows a different damage model then i can see now. No matter how hard i try to crash there is no "visual" effect.

Edited by Nixion

My first race I had awful damage from a minor collision at Bahrain, I was struggling to get back to the pit with barely visible damage, I was drifting half the corners, which was actually quite a lot of fun... I have double simulation damage on and even the slightest wing touch at Monaco, my 3rd race was really bad. Though they do need to work on the visuals, loosing a wheel looks ridiculous lol it just goes all sketchy glitch bouncing everywhere! They should slow it down and make it bounce off the car more smoothly rather than at the moment it just goes through everything. The rear wing takes a lot to see the visual damage too but takes only 1 hit to feel the difference. So they need to change that so it shows faster. But the handling etc all seem good for me. Loving the added challenge. That and the MyTeam car is more sensitive, you really do start with a poor car making it more challenging. Graphics are poor though and everything is washed out.

Edited by CarystusGaming
Spelling

Damage settings have altered significantly this year and I think this, to some extent, explains the issues people are having.

There's multiple damage settings:

Reduced - cosmetic damage only (no effect on handling)

Standard - wheel and front wing damage (low effect on car behaviour)

Simulation - Full damage model (high effect on handling)

However underneath is ANOTHER setting called damage rate, this determines how many accidents/collisions/touches you need at certain speeds to cause the damage you set in the previous setting.

So simulation damage with a low damage setting rate will need multiple touches of other cars, walls, kerbs etc (at relatively low speed) before you see the effect. There's now 9 combinations of damage settings.

7 minutes ago, Pilske said:

There was never anything from Codemasters to suggest that flatspots would be in the game that I recall. Do you? I genuinely wasn't expecting this to be a game feature from all the pre-release footage I watched either.

There do seem to be big changes in terms of bodywork damage though.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:09 PM, Pastashark said:

Anyone notice the damage is very hard to get and nothing like the preview? No sharkbites almost non sidepod this is a big joke.. what have they done this hole year

The Shark doesn‘t bite - Shark is a fair driver …

However first two online races with a dnf showed something different to me ….. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

There was never anything from Codemasters to suggest that flatspots would be in the game that I recall. Do you? I genuinely wasn't expecting this to be a game feature from all the pre-release footage I watched either.

There do seem to be big changes in terms of bodywork damage though.

yes there was

I've just done a bit of digging and I think the video below was probably the origin of the flat spot idea. I saw it when it came out but was far from convinced. The most relevant bit of the video starts at about 3:30 and actually shows a puncture not a flat spot. A little later on is the clip already discussed above in this thread. Unless anyone has anything else I'm really not sure we should feel short-changed in terms of flat spots.

Edited by Ultra3142

I've got Damage and Damage Rate settings both on Simulation. I've been in a few crashes but have yet to see any sidepod, floor, rear wing diffuser damage on the MFD. The most damage I've seen anywhere was I crashed into a wall and have another car plough into the side of my car at full speed before being forced to retire. I went back to the replay and checked in photo mode and I literally had one tiny little chip on the floor on the side of the car that was hit. You had to look really hard to spot it.

New damage, it seems, isn't sensitive enough, or isn't at the same sensitivity as front wing damage, which is a massive shame and would hope this could be corrected. I'm on PC, by the way.

Edit: I'll also add that the new damage, along with flatspots and engine failures was really clincher for me buying the game this year, as F1 2020 was starting to have me a bit disillusioned (I've personally had 1 mechanical failure so far 9 races into my F2 career, and I've got both settings for that at max). Plus, the new damage areas don't appear to be moddable, otherwise I would be tweaking these things for myself.

Edited by s00zster