Jump to content Jump to content

What was your last purchase

• 2 weeks later...
@Hughesy Time to go OCD on my cable management again ;)

x2

£29 in total for a bunch of cables lol.

Lol OCD indeed. Mine are black so look fine with the white and black theme, you can't see most of mine anyway. If I could be arsed I'd get white cables. When I had Watercooling I liked to look at my PC but now it's all air I dont, I actually can't see it from where I sit. 
  • 2 weeks later...
Think we need a thread solely dedicated to your PC purchases.
Might be a good idea actually ;)

Corsair SP120 PWM for my CPU cooler

Big mistake bud! I had three of them and they were awful.... Not that quiet and don't move loads of air.... I would've given you mine, although they aren't pwm but that doesn't make a difference on noise. Hope you like them though as I thought they were rubbish, especially compared to the ones you have.
Well I'll give it a go bud, the only other PWM fan I could find that I liked was a Coolermaster Jetflo, and even then it's kinda ugly when it's turned off :p If this Corsair fan isn't any good though then I'll get a refund and try the Jetflo instead.

Either that or I'll swap it for the Alpenfohn fan from my old cooler that's currently in my stepdads PC. He won't notice and I'm gonna be transferring his system into my current case when I get the 750D :)
I wouldn't buy a Coolermaster fan either bud :# Why don't you just try one of the DS fans on your cpu cooler? The static pressure is pretty good so should be good to use on a cpu cooler. I still haven't tried them on my Noctua yet mainly because the fans on it are good, it's just the looks lol. 
Mainly cos I wanna be able to stick a PWM fan on there, set the BIOS to control it or even set a curve myself and have it be automatic. With the DS on there I'd have to connect that fan to my controller and constantly adjust it when I'm gaming and I cba to do that :p If they made a PWM version it'd have been my first choice though :)

I'll have another look at some others, but right now I'm thinking plan B will probs be what I do. I loved the Alpenfohn fan and my stepdad doesn't care how loud his system is so that'll be ok.
Mainly cos I wanna be able to stick a PWM fan on there, set the BIOS to control it or even set a curve myself and have it be automatic. With the DS on there I'd have to connect that fan to my controller and constantly adjust it when I'm gaming and I cba to do that :p If they made a PWM version it'd have been my first choice though :)

I'll have another look at some others, but right now I'm thinking plan B will probs be what I do. I loved the Alpenfohn fan and my stepdad doesn't care how loud his system is so that'll be ok.
You don't need pwm for that. On my Mobo bios I can set a target temputure for my CPU and it'll speed up/slow down when needed, the Noctua fans aren't pwm and they work fine ;) You've never needed a pwm fan for the cpu ports, how do you think the crappy standard coolers speed up/slow down?  :p it's only the other fan ports that need pwm.
Hughesy said:

You don't need pwm for that. On my Mobo bios I can set a target temputure for my CPU and it'll speed up/slow down when needed, the Noctua fans aren't pwm and they work fine ;) You've never needed a pwm fan for the cpu ports, how do you think the crappy standard coolers speed up/slow down?  :p it's only the other fan ports that need pwm.
Right, I'm confused lol. I thought PWM fans were needed for the CPU cooler? Like every one I've used so far has had a 4pin (I think) connector so I figured a 3 pin wouldn't speed up/slow down in sync with temps? 

And which other fan ports need PWM? I'm definitely not sure what I need now :p 

Just found out the Alpenfohn fan actually shifts more air than either the Corsair or be quiet! one's I'll have... Plus it does that whilst being quieter than both lol. 

Thinking I'll give the Corsair a try, probably dislike it, and swap it out for the Alpenfohn :) Always loved the look of that fan anyway and it'll suit my rig better ;) 

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-003-AL
Hughesy said:

Right, I'm confused lol. I thought PWM fans were needed for the CPU cooler? Like every one I've used so far has had a 4pin (I think) connector so I figured a 3 pin wouldn't speed up/slow down in sync with temps? 

CPU fan ports have never needed pwm fans (or so I thought). If you look at the standard cooler that comes with a Intel i5/i7 they don't use pwm. My Current Noctua cooler is actually pwm but my last one wasn't and that could still speed up or slow down. I might be totally wrong and it might only work on certain motherboards. A standard 3 pin fan can still speed up and slow down as it alters the voltage from 12v downwards whereas a pwm keeps it at 12v. Maybe try a 3 pin fan into the CPU slot and set a target and see if it can or not. I was always sure though that the standard coolers that come with the cpu were 3 pin but I might be wrong (I haven't used one for many years)

Should really talk about this in the PC thread but hay ho.

Edit: It seems I was wrong and Intel cpus come with a pwm fan.... I was sure my old Noctua could speed up and slow down though, even though it was a 3 pin. Better to just buy (like you have) a pwm fan lol. Maybe I'm just getting confused (it doesn't take a lot) although the DS fans are silent anyway so don't need to be PWM :#
Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

CPU fan ports have never needed pwm fans (or so I thought). If you look at the standard cooler that comes with a Intel i5/i7 they don't use pwm. My Current Noctua cooler is actually pwm but my last one wasn't and that could still speed up or slow down. I might be totally wrong and it might only work on certain motherboards. A standard 3 pin fan can still speed up and slow down as it alters the voltage from 12v downwards whereas a pwm keeps it at 12v. Maybe try a 3 pin fan into the CPU slot and set a target and see if it can or not. I was always sure though that the standard coolers that come with the cpu were 3 pin but I might be wrong (I haven't used one for many years)

We're taking over every thread with PC talk ;) Thanks for the info though dude, I might give it a test but I made an edit above so I'll probably do what I put there :) This week needs to go faster! Fans, cables, bits and pieces should be arriving anytime during the week, I've got the case set for Friday delivery so if they deliver it early I can spend the whole day on it :) There's gonna be pictures for the PC thread ;)
Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

We're taking over every thread with PC talk ;) Thanks for the info though dude, I might give it a test but I made an edit above so I'll probably do what I put there :) This week needs to go faster! Fans, cables, bits and pieces should be arriving anytime during the week, I've got the case set for Friday delivery so if they deliver it early I can spend the whole day on it :) There's gonna be pictures for the PC thread ;)
Yeah welcome to the PC thread version 2.0 :p  
Well I'll give it a go bud, the only other PWM fan I could find that I liked was a Coolermaster Jetflo, and even then it's kinda ugly when it's turned off :p If this Corsair fan isn't any good though then I'll get a refund and try the Jetflo instead.

Either that or won't
I'll swap it for the Alpenfohn fan from my old cooler that's currently in my stepdads PC. He 
 won't notice and I'm gonna be transferring his system into my current case when I get the 750D :)
Thief ! Jail him !!! Oh wait......  ;)
  • UP100 featured this topic