Jump to content Jump to content

50% vs 100% Differential

Has anyone had any noticeable difference in feel to the cars when changing the diff?

I've tried dry and wet races and tbh started to jump from 50% to 100% diff expecting a different reaction at the back of the car, particularly in the rain. However, I notice no difference in feel or reaction on the car. 

I tested the theory by going from 50% for two laps to 100% and could control the car with the same throttle modulations.

Has anyone experienced similar or are you noticing significant differences? 

• Agree 1

As far as I know in theory an opened diff (-> 50%) gives you better traction but less acceleration out of corners (makes the rears less sensitive and more stable). In addition to that the car can routate faster in corners when lowering the diff. The opposite (-> 100%) effects better acceleration out of corners, but the rears are more sensitive and pushing to extrem out of some corners (especially, when the car is still in routation) can result in losing your rear. Overall a higher diff makes the car more stiff and less movable in corners, but quicker in accerlation when its a clean corner exit with less routation. 

How much the effect occurs belongs to the rest of your setup and the track layout. 

So if you have problems with losing your rear in corner exit, you can lowering your diff for a less sensitive rear. (f.e. in rain). Thats my understanding for diff. 

Maybe you have the most effect in rainy conditions. Or when you test on other tracks. But I don't know how much the effect of different diff settings is programmed in this game. I mean, f.e. in 2019 different tire pressures almost has no effect, in f1 2020 they were important for finding the best grip. I really hope there is another Setup Question Thread like

where CM answers on interesting setup questions. 

Edited by DonBlanko
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

For 'On Throttle' 50%/open diff will give you more gradule traction in traction zones and traction dependent tracks like Bahrain, Baku, Singapore etc.

100%/closed diff is pretty much instant traction pickup and is best used for speedy tracks with very few traction zones like Silverstone, Suzuka, Zandvoort

For me, I'll only use up to 85% diff on. 90+ is too much and too aggressive on the tyres. Differential actually has more helpful potential than you may realise! Especially in the rain

For 'off throttle' ,basically high diff = stable rear and low diff = wobbly rear. I tend to leave it at 75%

Edited by DerpTheThird
5 hours ago, DerpTheThird said:

100%/closed diff is pretty much instant traction pickup and is best used for speedy tracks with very few traction zones like Silverstone, Suzuka,

Im not sure this is right to be honest. I think closed diff is more useful on tracks where traction zones are really important (like coming out of slow corners onto long straights), such as Monza

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Im not sure this is right to be honest. I think closed diff is more useful on tracks where traction zones are really important (like coming out of slow corners onto long straights), such as Monza

Ah there we go. I initially added Monza to my Diff On list but changed my mind

You're correct in saying Monzas deffo a more diff closed track. Monza is sort of a 50/50 diff On or Off track, you've got the 2 chicanes but also Ascari and Parabolica

If you think about it, more Diff On will give you more acceleration more quickly, which you don't want in a TZ, you'd want it to be less while tracks with less TZs are better suited to faster acceleration

18 minutes ago, oner7 said:

But the question was, do you really feel it when you drive? I've tried both of them in Spain, couldnt realize any difference.

For me, yes. I build a setup for each track until I'm fully confident in it and can definitely feel the small differences in changes to the diff.

Try racing around Baku with 100% diff and then 50. You'll feel it there for sure.

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 11:17 AM, Lofty said:

Has anyone had any noticeable difference in feel to the cars when changing the diff?

I've tried dry and wet races and tbh started to jump from 50% to 100% diff expecting a different reaction at the back of the car, particularly in the rain. However, I notice no difference in feel or reaction on the car. 

I tested the theory by going from 50% for two laps to 100% and could control the car with the same throttle modulations.

Has anyone experienced similar or are you noticing significant differences? 

In my opinion, 75% should be introduced to balance between 50% and 100% . Then the careers and leagues would be a bit more attractive. I refer to my proposal to comment and to like there.

• Haha 1

Off throttle 55 on throttle. Race start 75-80... and then adjust according to conditions and tyre wear throughout the race... More often than not I’ll range between 60-90 in a race.  And I’ll often change it when coming up to fast twisty sections or slow twisty sections 

• Thanks 1
On 10/11/2021 at 12:46 AM, ScaredDuck said:

Off throttle 55 on throttle. Race start 75-80... and then adjust according to conditions and tyre wear throughout the race... More often than not I’ll range between 60-90 in a race.  And I’ll often change it when coming up to fast twisty sections or slow twisty sections 

For me i choose beetween 70 and 90 %.. keep in mind that driving style and carsetup makes a little difference aswell

• Agree 1
On 7/18/2021 at 5:56 AM, DerpTheThird said:

For 'On Throttle' 50%/open diff will give you more gradule traction in traction zones and traction dependent tracks like Bahrain, Baku, Singapore etc.

100%/closed diff is pretty much instant traction pickup and is best used for speedy tracks with very few traction zones like Silverstone, Suzuka, Zandvoort

For me, I'll only use up to 85% diff on. 90+ is too much and too aggressive on the tyres. Differential actually has more helpful potential than you may realise! Especially in the rain

For 'off throttle' ,basically high diff = stable rear and low diff = wobbly rear. I tend to leave it at 75%

I thought Singapore would use more off a close diff for better traction out off corners . As its mainly a stop go track with no High  speed corners just point and squirt . It's something I'm not to sure about me self . But from my understanding . Regarding the diff . Is high speed tracks with long corners . You use more off an open diff . And low speed tracks with stop go. Corner's . More off a lock diff . 

• Agree 1

Tracks like Singapore I use 55-60 off and no more than 75 on

silverstone 55-60 off and up to 85-90 on but If I’m not looking likely to catch car infront or be caught by the car behind I drop it to 75 to help reduce tyre wear

when raining  I generally leave off at 55-60 but depending on track and how wet I will go to 70 but I drop on to 50

Edited by ScaredDuck