Jump to content Jump to content

Thanks to the Audio team

3 hours ago, issueskid said:

That said we're always listening and we do take feedback on board so I will look at our processes in the future and figure out if we can imporve anything we're doing and get closer (and in doing so get further away from the "real" sound) to the sound you hear on TV.

Would that be something that could work from a broadcast mix while maintaining fidelity with the onboard?

To be honest when I watch the races I do really see how close it is and how powerful it sounds. I am particularly fond of the Renault engine (sorry Merc, youre the better engine but Renault...).

Yesterday while racing in my team I could see the details of not Just the sound, but the effects and the balance um general.

To see improvement in the audio department on a yearly basis is really great and that is a great plus on the game!

• Agree 1
On 7/15/2021 at 6:56 PM, KrazyLurt said:

Also the music, hands down, is by far the best yet, I sometimes wait before starting a session in the menu because I enjoy the dynamics of the music.

Absolutely, 100% agree! The menu music is so so so good. 

reminds me very much of Project Cars 2 which also had similar menu music with snippets of commentary etc within them and race day sounds. Really adds to the dynamic and immersion. 

• Agree 1
  • Codemasters Staff
43 minutes ago, Hichel18 said:

Would that be something that could work from a broadcast mix while maintaining fidelity with the onboard?

"Broadcast mix" is our cloest representation of TV but uses our own recordings if that's what you mean?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, issueskid said:

"Broadcast mix" is our cloest representation of TV but uses our own recordings if that's what you mean?

Yes, they are a separated engine sound mix in relation with the onboard? From going for a "real experience to a live broadcast one" or are all sound perspectives directly from the audio source?

• Codemasters Staff
15 minutes ago, Hichel18 said:

Yes, they are a separated engine sound mix in relation with the onboard? From going for a "real experience to a live broadcast one" or are all sound perspectives directly from the audio source?

Not sure I follow. Broadcast mix does exactly the same in our game as FOM do with the broadcast feed, they use seperate elements and pan them seperatly and we do the same.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
23 minutes ago, issueskid said:

Not sure I follow. Broadcast mix does exactly the same in our game as FOM do with the broadcast feed, they use seperate elements and pan them seperatly and we do the same.

Oh got it! Thanks! It was mostly a curiosity about the technical part of sound construction in different câmeras with relation to the mix. 😄

I too want to commend the audio team the game sounds fantastic this year. At first the sound of the turbo i felt was a bit over powered in the mix compared to what we hear on tv but it may have just been because it is more pronounced than last year's game.  Now that I've played alot of it the sounds are just spot on to me.  I'd like to hear a bit more of the winding down, and off throttle sounds like in that AC video posted above; it sounds like we have it this year just maybe it needs to be brought up in volume in the mix a bit.   Sounds fantastic still though.

The helmet version is not for me; I dont think I could drive with it longer than a few laps but damn it sounds cool!! Kudo's to you guys on that as well it's a nice addition for those who want to play that way.

The menu music though really shines IMO.  It's... captivating.  It just sounds so... I can't even think of the right word.  At times I feel like I'm playing Halo or something; it just has that awesome feeling to it.  The one menu track that usually comes on when I'm editing liveries; with that guitar "solo" in it... damn!! 

It's kind of what I've been feeling all along with F1 2021.  On track it's just awesome; I'm just disappointed with the lack of advancement in the core career modes and some of the other things that didn't make it this year.  Audio and visuals though...  knocked out of the park like a Vladdy Guerrero Jr. home run.   Nice work.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:23 AM, issueskid said:

Pity I'll never watch it or read any of your posts in future! Adding you to my blocked list 😊

Pity I will never buy another game from you guys. Every year, and every game the same excuses, shame on you bunch of lazies. 

• Agree 1
On 7/16/2021 at 3:11 PM, issueskid said:

Hey both.

Ok, the DRS beep is being addressed so you should get that in a patch.

As for the positive comments, thank you very much. We put a lot of effort into each release and this year has been no exception, I'm a gamer and an F1 fan who gets to work with the teams and stick microphones on actual F1 cars during the winter test - that's a hobby! I can't tell you how proud we are of what we do. Despite working on an annual franchise we've been as busy this year as we always are, working on new audio features most will never noticed, improving what's in game already and taking a look at feedback we've recieved from previous games. We do listen and we're always trying to improve the sound of F1. Here's a few other things to check out:

• If you're a sim fan, we added a driver's helmet mix option this year. It's an aquired taste for sure but this adds an authentic IR from inside a helmet and simulates what the driver hears.
  • As you pointed out, based on feedback we brought back some older audio options such as the ability to control the volume of AI cars seperatly from your own car.
  • We revised and expanded the engineer radio ducking system based on feedback (some liked the old settings, some hated them).
  • As for the music, I'm sure you've noticed this also changes based on what sub-menu you are currently in so have a root around the front end and listen to the different areas.

That's really cool and interesting. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I was wondering about the helmet cam audio. I've only seen youtube videos on it as it's only available on pc/new-gen consoles. It sounds really amazing though. Is it possible we can have this setting on xbox one/ps4 too? 

• Disagree 1
  • Codemasters Staff
8 minutes ago, milook said:

I was wondering about the helmet cam audio. I've only seen youtube videos on it as it's only available on pc/new-gen consoles. It sounds really amazing though. Is it possible we can have this setting on xbox one/ps4 too? 

Hello, no unfortunatly this feature will not be patched into Xbox One / PS4. It may not seem it but its quite a performance heavy feature from the audio side as we're using an actual impulse response from a helmet for autehticity. This requires CPU cycles that we'd struggle to find on older gen consoles.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, issueskid said:

Hello, no unfortunatly this feature will not be patched into Xbox One / PS4. It may not seem it but its quite a performance heavy feature from the audio side as we're using an actual impulse response from a helmet for autehticity. This requires CPU cycles that we'd struggle to find on older gen consoles.

aw that's a shame but I understand. Thanks for replying and keep up the good work!

• Disagree 1

I really like the new sounds. Turbo whistle is really cool and the sounds in general are more complex at all. Hope they will add some wind whoosh sounds to the replays. On track and on tv you could hear the engine sound and that heavy whoosh which comes with the pace. 

Just wanted to echo some of the thoughts above that the whistle is a welcome addition in this year's game. In terms of further improvements I would also like to see the pronounced downshifting tune implemented more in future, so that it's closer to the real-life onboards. Particularly with the Honda engine, I feel like it adds a real grunt to to the sound when downshifting and coasting, compared to the current in-game sound. 

• Like 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
On 7/19/2021 at 9:37 AM, issueskid said:

We also have an engine audio team with members working across multiple games using the same tools so you'll find this same process being carried out across Dirt and Grid when it comes to producing game ready assets.

Can confirm, GRID and DiRT teams try to source the real cars whenever possible. Example:

• Like 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
On 7/19/2021 at 3:29 PM, Hichel18 said:

Oh got it! Thanks! It was mostly a curiosity about the technical part of sound construction in different câmeras with relation to the mix. 😄

Do yourself a favour and drive a few laps in chase camera if you don't already.

The sounds the cars make from that view are mega 😮 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
59 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Do yourself a favour and drive a few laps in chase camera if you don't already.

The sounds the cars make from that view are mega 😮 

Agreed.  The sounds in the chase cam sound awesome this year.  I don't ever remember them sounding this good, but I typically don't drive in this view.  However I usually cycle through them to just stare at how nice the cars look especially on the grid.  Hearing the sound in this view though makes me want to drive that way which is a good thing IMO.  

26 minutes ago, petro1319 said:

Agreed.  The sounds in the chase cam sound awesome this year.  I don't ever remember them sounding this good, but I typically don't drive in this view.  However I usually cycle through them to just stare at how nice the cars look especially on the grid.  Hearing the sound in this view though makes me want to drive that way which is a good thing IMO.  

An option to have the chase cam sound in other modes like T-cam would be crazy good 

• Like 1
On 7/19/2021 at 4:37 AM, issueskid said:

Yes this is correct, we work directly with multiple teams on a yearly basis and record on board cars directly (mostly during winter test). We have also had positive feedback from several drivers in recent years when they've been hands on with our assets. I do understand the complaint that we're not 100% faithful to the TV broadcast but as I've mentioned there are several reasons for this including the fact we can't just rip audio from FOM/TV footage, we're not allowed to do that whereas somebody modding the game can do what they like becuause they are unmoderated. We've also found cars can sound slightly different from race to race on broadcast footage, and this is especially the case from winter testing (where we record) to the first couple of races of a season. So much like how we're never going to keep up with livery, helmet and bodywork changes on a race by race basis we're also never going to perfectly nail what somebody considers "the correct" sound when analysising one weekend, we work with the asstes we record from the sessions we are invited to attend. If you get together a bunch of on boards from several race weekends from one car you'll find in most cases you probably won't be able to hear 100% consistency. We also have an engine audio team with members working across multiple games using the same tools so you'll find this same process being carried out across Dirt and Grid when it comes to producing game ready assets.

That said we're always listening and we do take feedback on board so I will look at our processes in the future and figure out if we can imporve anything we're doing and get closer (and in doing so get further away from the "real" sound) to the sound you hear on TV.

Other than the odd negative comment (most of which I'll never reply to unless they are friendly, constructive critisism) its nice to see our work is being positivly recieved.

Honestly I think the cars in F1 2021 sound amazing. You guys did a fantastic job. F1 is also the only racing game that really nails the sound of driving over kerbs.

Edited by CptBalloonhands