Jump to content Jump to content

Your thoughts on Dirt Rally 2.0?

Go to solution Solved by PJTierney,

Tried the game today, everything seems nice so far in terms of gameplay except for 2 things. First of all the graphical side of the game seems too inconsistent. Sometimes it makes sense and the game looks good, sometimes its too dark and looks pretty bad. But more importantly, I feel like the F VidMate FB is lacking some raw feeling, specifically the feel of the surface. Its the same on each one, just feels like softly floating on water or something... Hurts me to say  Mobdro it but 50/50 gonna refund it. Am I nitpicking or are others feeling the same way?

Edited by JimieSitu
On 7/16/2021 at 4:00 AM, JimieSitu said:

Tried the game today, everything seems nice so far in terms of gameplay except for 2 things. First of all the graphical side of the game seems too inconsistent. Sometimes it makes sense and the game looks good, sometimes its too dark and looks pretty bad. But more importantly, I feel like the F VidMate FB is lacking some raw feeling, specifically the feel of the surface. Its the same on each one, just feels like softly floating on water or something... Hurts me to say  Mobdro it but 50/50 gonna refund it. Am I nitpicking or are others feeling the same way?

With tarmac locations, you're not wrong - that's been a long-held critique of the series. It's not terrible, but it does feel like the car is set up for gravel suspension even on tarmac to me.

I agree with you on the lighting too - it doesn't help that the day's time zones are day, late, later and night so rallying in DR2 is more of an evening activity. However, just fiddling with in game settings a little I've had this mostly to my liking. Could it be better? Sure, but it's still the best looking game in its genre by a mile. My biggest lighting complaint is the forced fog in some of the locations (specifically Finland) which there's no way to dial back, even if you're playing with a decent PC.

Otherwise, I can't comment for the RX side, but for the rallying side it's far and away the best game in its genre IMO. 

You've got ~300km of the best modelled rally stages ever made, you've got arguably the best loose-surface physics in a game and you've got a huge selection of cars from different eras that feel very different to each other, even within the same class. On top of that, I love the AI for always presenting a challenge, no matter your skill level (I've never made it to the 'top' level, but I've had so much fun trying) and a dynamic single-player career mode that generates you a unique calendar for each season and each rally, so you're never doing the same event twice.

Is it perfect? No. But for my money, it's the best in its class at the moment.

I've always used near stock setups and settings, but someone around here may be able to help you out with FFB settings and setups - what wheel are you using?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
4 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

You've got ~300km of the best modelled rally stages ever made, you've got arguably the best loose-surface physics in a game and you've got a huge selection of cars from different eras that feel very different to each other, even within the same class.

Absolutely second that, plus the best engine sounds in the entire racing game genre. The same goes for RX, great variety in terms of tracks and cars. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
2 hours ago, richieI said:

Absolutely second that, plus the best engine sounds in the entire racing game genre. The same goes for RX, great variety in terms of tracks and cars. 

Good point, it's definitely A Tier in sounds

I'm not saying the game is all garbage. But the A.I blatantly cheating is a farce. I'm doing a R2 championship. Won Rally Argentina.

In New England...no mistakes, neat and tidy stage 1st stage I'm 12secs off.....again didn't seem right.

Second stage...1st sector (30 seconds of track roughly) I'm 10 secs down..........10 seconds!!! lol. Like ***? That's not even possible haha! The A.I is so broken it's a joke. 

The sounds are amazing and the gravel physics are great. But the tarmac physics especially in the wet are a tradegy. And again the A.I aren't effecting by rain on the tarmac stages. 

• Agree 1

In terms of sound only Assetto Corsa Competizione comes close. Just fire up something like AMS2 or GT Sport and it becomes immediately obvious how far ahead the sound in ACC and DR2.0 is. 

Thirteen real-life rally locations, fantastic physics for the most part in DR2.0. Yeah the tarmac physics are not perfect but they are definitely serviceable. Tuning the cars on tarmac really helps a lot with the feel. Mainly dropping the ride height and stiffening the suspension. Most of the default setups on gravel are perfectly fine but for tarmac a bit of tuning does help with the feel.

Best representation of Rally Cross in any game ever. 

The graphics for the most part are fantastic. The game looks gorgeous on PS4 Pro and runs in 1440p/60fps which is quite an achievement. I've heard its pretty well optimized on PC too. I do agree about the lighting in same places though, it is a bit too dark and can be inconsistent from location to location.

Also have to agree about the AI - I mentioned that over 2 years ago when the game first released and they haven't really done anything to fix it. It is wildly inconsistent and frustratingly hard once you get to the higher levels in the career/championship mode. The lack of any type of proper career mode is also a downside to the game.

My advice is to just forget about the career mode and do the community events. The game is mainly built around the community events anyway. Or do custom championships where you can set the difficulty level yourself.

Overall, DR2.0 is probably the best and most accurate representation of real-life rally that's ever been released, despite its few flaws.

• Agree 1
6 hours ago, Tranzitive said:

In terms of sound only Assetto Corsa Competizione comes close. Just fire up something like AMS2 or GT Sport and it becomes immediately obvious how far ahead the sound in ACC and DR2.0 is. 

Thirteen real-life rally locations, fantastic physics for the most part in DR2.0. Yeah the tarmac physics are not perfect but they are definitely serviceable. Tuning the cars on tarmac really helps a lot with the feel. Mainly dropping the ride height and stiffening the suspension. Most of the default setups on gravel are perfectly fine but for tarmac a bit of tuning does help with the feel.

Best representation of Rally Cross in any game ever. 

The graphics for the most part are fantastic. The game looks gorgeous on PS4 Pro and runs in 1440p/60fps which is quite an achievement. I've heard its pretty well optimized on PC too. I do agree about the lighting in same places though, it is a bit too dark and can be inconsistent from location to location.

Also have to agree about the AI - I mentioned that over 2 years ago when the game first released and they haven't really done anything to fix it. It is wildly inconsistent and frustratingly hard once you get to the higher levels in the career/championship mode. The lack of any type of proper career mode is also a downside to the game.

My advice is to just forget about the career mode and do the community events. The game is mainly built around the community events anyway. Or do custom championships where you can set the difficulty level yourself.

Overall, DR2.0 is probably the best and most accurate representation of real-life rally that's ever been released, despite its few flaws.

A rally driver friend of mine (competes in UK events mostly) Played the game for the first time a few weeks ago, at my house. And he laughed his ass off at the times and speed of the A.I. Even said the times are impossible and the A.I is obviously cheating in certain parts of the game. Especially in Poland. He said the game felt great on gravel. Hated the tarmac stuff. I'm sorry but for a rally game I shouldn't need to set World Record level times to compete with the A.I.....it's ajoke.

• Agree 1
10 hours ago, Tranzitive said:

Definitely throw Raceroom onto that end of the scale IMO - some exceptional sounds in that game; it was out on its own for years but ACC, DR2 and some others are starting to catch up. AMS2's latest GTs are a step up on their previous ones (they hired 'ACFan' of modding fame).

Edited by RodgerDavies

In my opinion ACC engine sounds are completely overrated in terms of accuracy and realism, if you take a closer look. Sure, the Aston V12 sounds spectacular when the sound bounces off the walls on some of the tracks, but that's not something that happens IRL as you do not drive with open windows. There's only a few cockpit sounds that are really good, the rest is off. They do a good job in giving you a feeling of the violence of racing, brake squealing etc. but the accuracy of engine sounds is mostly underwhelming. 

I haven't played AMS2 but I read that many sounds are still just placeholders, but I think AMS2 currently has one of the best Porsche RSR sounds and THE best Porsche GT3 R sound. Great job they did there, very accurate. 

DR2.0 does also have some sounds that are 'weaker' than others, but overall they're absolute quality. 

Edited by richieI

DR2.0 certainly isn't without flaw, but I personally think it is the best - and most complete - game in the Dirt series. 

Biggest single issue is probably the AI (or rather the AI times). Much of my time with the game is chasing my own times or racing friends, so it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game that much though.

For me DR2.0 is easily the best representation of modern rallycross in a game. Some of the car specifics are off, but the vast majority of details are spot on (think that the 2019 class has less errors and a better balance than the 2018 cars).

I fully agree with the comments about the sound as well; with all the updates the vast majority of the cars sound spot on. I haven't played another rally/race game that has nailed as many of the iconic engine notes as DR2.0.

• Agree 2

I think the issue with the AI is the track limits. Watch the ghosts of those world record runs, cut does not describe what they do. They are meters off track, they cut the inside of bales, go around chichanes. The top level A.I is trying to challenge those top level 'players'. Remember even career mode is online. So ya they are cheating to keep up with the competition the are programed to. The thing that's super annoying is when Codies were running tournaments, they DQ'd guys for having more then two wheels off. Then you go to the dailies and the top guys are behind the houses in poland, flat out through the field.

• Disagree 1
5 hours ago, richieI said:

Which ones in your opinion? I remember there was a discussion about this but can't find it. 

The search on the new forum is a bit rubbish, I usually search through Google if I am trying to find something on the forum.

Off the top of my head: 

- 2018 PSRXVW Polo engine configuration is visibly wrong, Polo performance isn't right (in my personal opinion) and isn't the correct audio. 
- 2018 Supercar class balance is way off (Megane is way better than it should be in my personal opinion). 2019 class is much better balanced, so at least they got that right. 
- Group B rallycross class is all over the place. Car performance is well off (especially the RS200) and class balance is wrong.

EDIT: 

Here is the inaccuracy thread: 

Edited by tbtstt
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, richieI said:

@tbtsttThanks, I'll have look. I honestly thought that the inaccuracies were purely related to visuals. 

Perhaps personal opinion is biasing my opinion on the 2018 Supercar performance issues. 

I think the skew in the Group B (rallycross) class is unarguable though. 

• 3 weeks later...

You've got ~300km of the best modelled rally stages ever made, you've got arguably the best loose-surface physics in a game and you've got a huge selection of cars from different eras that feel very different to each other, even within the same class. On top of that, I love the AI for always presenting a challenge

vidmate | spicemoney.win | tumangaonline

Edited by spiceagent11
  • Disagree 1
On 8/14/2021 at 5:15 PM, spiceagent11 said:

You've got ~300km of the best modelled rally stages ever made, you've got arguably the best loose-surface physics in a game and you've got a huge selection of cars from different eras that feel very different to each other, even within the same class. On top of that, I love the AI for always presenting a challenge

vidmate | spicemoney.win | tumangaonline

I agree with every word

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Haha 1

Hm, my xbox statistics say I played 170+ days DR2.0.
Seems...quite much 😃

But it's save to say I quite like this game.
Because of that I bought the game again yesterday in a sale for 7,50€ in the ms store.
So I can put my retail copy to rest and just use the digital one 🙂

I also tried a few other rally games lately, naming Sebastién Loeb Rally EVO, wich has some interesting cars to play with, but terrible handling with a controller and art of rally, wich is a really nice indie rally game with great music and art style.

Nothing is as great as this rally game, it's still the best on the market.
But let's see how good WRC 10 is.
Since the DR-Team don't say a word about the DR-Future, I decided to buy WRC 10 and hope it's good.

• Agree 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
13 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Hm, my xbox statistics say I played 170+ days DR2.0.
Seems...quite much 😃

image.png

😮 

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, PJTierney said:

image.png

😮

To be fair, there is probably some idle time in it.
I guess about 20-30%, sometimes I take a break between runs for an hour or so and do other stuff while the game keeps running.
But it is still a lot.
And there is no end in sight 😃

Hm...TA says I completed 9563 rally stages so far.
Next one on xbox has 4086 completed, lul.
But not sure if TA tracks every xbox gamer or only those on TA.
But still...crazy.